• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

firehawk12 said:
What I don't get... if Peter's been having sex with Olivia and he's some kind of super observant genius, surely he would have noticed that the "bad" Olivia has the neck tattoo?
Was that explicitly addressed?

Let me in

firehawk12 said:
What I don't get... if Peter's been having sex with Olivia and he's some kind of super observant genius, surely he would have noticed that the "bad" Olivia has the neck tattoo?
Who says he's banging her?

geebee

Banned
I never finished the first season and now I see this alternate reality stuff.. I feel like a sucker for wanting to give this show another try. :lol

For those who have been with it from the beginning, what has this "twist" done for the show in your opinion? Would it be worth it for me to try this show again if I couldn't really get into it before?

Yaweee

geebee said:
I never finished the first season and now I see this alternate reality stuff.. I feel like a sucker for wanting to give this show another try. :lol

For those who have been with it from the beginning, what has this "twist" done for the show in your opinion? Would it be worth it for me to try this show again if I couldn't really get into it before?

Well, considering the twist is discussed halfway through the first season, hinted at extensively before that, actually shown and visited by the end of the first season, and explains most of what is shown throughout the first season... I don't really consider a a show re-defining twist like you make it out to be.

Generally, I think the through-story has grown more prevalent and more interesting. The first half of the first season is pretty rough.

Ceebs

The Big Rig said:
Jerry Maguire obviously was never made in this universe. Cuba would have had a huge sponsorship.
It probably wasn't. Did you not hear someone say he was at home watching Tom Cruise kick ass on TV?

ultron87

Decent episode. Nothing as amazing as the S. 2 finale, but that's alright.

Certainly sets up the arc the season is going to take. I wouldn't be shocked if Olivia is in fact faking it somewhat, with the aid of the memories she got from the medicine.

Let me in

ultron87 said:
I wouldn't be shocked if Olivia is in fact faking it somewhat, with the aid of the memories she got from the medicine.
This is what I honestly hoped for while watching, but then I thought it would be kind of cheap if they did that.

An interesting parallel - Olivia's had two sets of memories in her head before (John Scott's).

She's also a Cortexikid, so I doubt her memory replacement is going to work as intended.

ivysaur12

Banned
ultron87 said:
Decent episode. Nothing as amazing as the S. 2 finale, but that's alright.

Certainly sets up the arc the season is going to take. I wouldn't be shocked if Olivia is in fact faking it somewhat, with the aid of the memories she got from the medicine.

I really hope that's it. Last thing I want to see is Olivia having some sort of "rediscovery" of herself over the season with the help of Kevin. If the memory thing is legit, it's a pretty stupid plot device. There are other and more effective ways to have Olivia stay on the other side and still help the fringe team there.

Hrm... not so sure about this. I have a feeling they are just going to flip-flop the Olivias; the good one will be bad and the bad good. Then it's just like normal, isn't it?

MrDenny

I have night class every thurs, so I'm gonna miss it every week
I can just watch it on hulu or wait for the blu-ray and have a fringe marathon.
What to do :(

big ander

An excellent start to the season. The entire episode continued to give off the "Over There" feeling of things being slightly different, but it also went beyond that. With Olivia on the run, I really got a sense of her being immeasurably far from home. She doesn't belong where she is at all, and that's impacting her heavily.
This is also the first time that Torv has one hundred percent carried an episode. Like everyone, I enjoyed seeing Walter and Peter and Bolivia at the end. But even without that, Olivia's plot over there was one of the best we've had for her ever, and it showed that when she's given the right material she can deliver. It wasn't even just the action scenes and the big emotional scenes that got me, it was every little touch that she put on her performance that made it so wonderful
The Andre Royo character was very cool, and I love that they're already establishing him as a key to Olivia getting back. With his short relationship with her, we could see that both characters are working hard to get back to a good place. It might be weird for Henry to have an interest in Olivia with her coming off as crazy, but their situations mirror each other enough and we get a feel for Henry's character that makes the sympathy believable.
All that said, next week will blow minds. I can't even begin to express how excited I am for it.

Guardian Bob said:
Hrm... not so sure about this. I have a feeling they are just going to flip-flop the Olivias; the good one will be bad and the bad good. Then it's just like normal, isn't it?
Doubt this will happen. I'm betting Bolivia stays Bolivia.

ivysaur12 said:
I really hope that's it. Last thing I want to see is Olivia having some sort of "rediscovery" of herself over the season with the help of Kevin. If the memory thing is legit, it's a pretty stupid plot device. There are other and more effective ways to have Olivia stay on the other side and still help the fringe team there.
Agreed. I'm hoping she's pretending also.

big ander

MrDenny said:
I have night class every thurs, so I'm gonna miss it every week
I can just watch it on hulu or wait for the blu-ray and have a fringe marathon.
What to do :(
Hulu, man. The discussion and being a part of the viewing body is worth it.

EDIT:
Sorry for double posting, also Torv has gotten hotter. I didn't like her bangs in pictures but in motion, goddamn. And for some reason she looked really hot in the hospital jumpsuit.
And the special effects were, in fact, fantastic. Lincoln looked freaky.

mrpogi23

its the first time i watched it on tv because ive only watched everything on disc.. it feels shorter or maybe im enjoying it so much i cant wait until the commercial is over.

Fringe is awesome. Olivia's so hot.

big ander

mrpogi23 said:
its the first time i watched it on tv because ive only watched everything on disc.. it feels shorter or maybe im enjoying it so much i cant wait until the commercial is over.

Fringe is awesome. Olivia's so hot.
Watching on TV can have that effect, because you don't have access to the next episodes right after that.
Glad there's another person watching :D

So I didn't see anyone say it: glyph code for the episode was
AMBER
The Observer sighting:
Well he was clearly there when Olivia got to the park http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YPCf8JFgUdI/TJwr6PZWfHI/AAAAAAAANL8/jdqfMQDWr0c/s1600/Observer301.JPG but I also thought I saw him when Olivia and Henry left in the cab for the first time. Maybe I was wrong. Or maybe there were two observers, December keeping watch on September perhaps?

Preview for 3.02, titled The Box. Press release:
WALTER COPES WITH CONSEQUENCES OF HIS CHOICES ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE” THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, ON FOX

The story alternates to the Fringe Team “over here” where they investigate a mystifying case that people are discovered in a trance-like state that ultimately leads to their death. The unlikely suspect: a mysterious box. As Peter and Walter collaborate to study its properties, alternate Olivia presses on and turns up the heat on an unsuspecting Peter. Meanwhile, key information about the future is revealed when Walter and Nina meet at Massive Dynamic for the emotional reading of the last will and testament of William Bell in the all-new “The Box” episode of FRINGE airing Thursday, Sept. 30 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-302 sptv050769) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth

Guest Cast: Sebastian Roché as Thomas Jerome Newton; Russell Harvard as Joe; Artine Brown as Mitch; Kyle Cassie as Darryl; Hiro Kanagawa as Executor; Eric Lynch as Homeless Man
Oh man
TJ Newton bout to tell some bitches what's what. And Bells will...intriguing.

bathala

Banned
really like the opening. it sets up what is going to happen this season. I just hope no more monster of the show episodes

big ander

bathala said:
really like the opening. it sets up what is going to happen this season. I just hope no more monster of the show episodes
I've liked several MOTW episodes, but when they can mix mythology and MOTW, the show is great. For example, August or Inner Child. Both are tied into the story of the Observers, but they also work on their own.

geebee said:

It really depends on when you left the show

Fringe was pretty much a "Monster of the Week" show for the first 13 episodes. Then, almost magically, one episode aired, and tied those 13 episodes together, and started a great arc that went all the way to the end of season 1. If you left beofre Ep13, then you have have no idea what the show is like now, and could love it if you come back

Weirdly, season 2 seemed to copy the dullish "Monster of the Week" stuff for its first few episodes too, but got away from it much quicker and got back to the main arc much quicker than happen in S1, - it also had one of the best set of closing episodes of any show in 2009 (bar one, "Black Betty", which did not live up the hype). Those episode were not all connected in a big arc, but nevertheless made each and every character seem different an important in some way.

Season 3, although it is only one ep old, seems to be the Fringe everyone wanted from the start. Of course, it took a long time to lay down the groundwork to get there, and there was a few missteps too, but it is now certainly a great show to get in to.

I'd recommend getting back into it. Get up to, and past the midpoint of Season 1, and you should like it. If you are still here, then stick around for the few bumps at the start of season 2, and enjoy as stuff kicks of big time all the way until present day.

squicken

Damn good. I really have had a love/hate with this show, mostly dealing with monster of the week stupidity and Joshua Jackson involved in any action sequence. But that was good. Amazing attention to detail.

They didn't even try to hide that that was alt-Bubbles. Hope we see alt-Randy too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The biggest and craziest difference between the two universes, as revealed in this episode: they spell Manhattan with only one 't'.

o_O

Dan said:
The biggest and craziest difference between the two universes, as revealed in this episode: they spell Manhattan with only one 't'.

o_O

That was in Season 2

Fringe214-0000008.JPG

Dan said:
Damn, I don't remember noticing that then.

I only remember it cause of GAF's recation

"LOL Typo"
"They Spelt Manhattan wrong guys haha"
"Manhatan ^_^"

...a few minutes later

"OMG"
"WTF"
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
"SHIIIIIT"

Solo

gdt5016 said:
Edit: This whole thing is also a pretty ingenious way to delay the actual Peter/Olivia romance :lol .

Sad but 100% true. They will have Peter and Oliviate together this season, then once the real Olivia returns, she will be upset that Peter didnt realize who he was with. It will drive a wedge in their relationship until they finally realize they cant be without eachother and hook up for real in about S5. 3 seasons of mileage, I tell ya!

One consequence of the memory transplant is that we won't be hearing any direct exposition about how the other universe is different since Olivia now knows everything and won't be confused or ask about anything. Undoubtedly they will show things, but we won't be told things, and any fundamental alternate history, prior to the lake incident, will probably only be revealed later.

I think it's funny this is the second time in the series Olivia has had someone else's memories inside her head.

Also, did anyone else think the mention of Tom Cruise by Lincoln Lee was meant as a shout out to Collateral?

Vlodril

Even if Olivia is brain washed , if she hits her catalyst (fear?) it should ring some bells when she starts seeing everyone else glowing :lol

Great job by the actress btw she really sold the slow transfromation from our Olivia to the Alternate one.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Liked it, but kinda didn't.

I liked that they turned it around, from a concept i didn't like at the end of S2, to something i wasn't quite expecting and am pleased with. I was pleased with the way the action was handled, and hope the taxi driver comes back.

That said, i didn't like that the whole opening of the season was focused on her character. For me the show is all about Peter and Walter, so i had mixed feelings about it.

This episode did nothing for me, I was actually bored.

oh and I'm normally not to hard on this stuff, but "memory" B/T cells have nothing to do with our actual memory at all.

ultron87

So the two friends I'm watching this with are total Peter/Olivia shippers. This season is going to be fun to watch with them since they are going to constantly be in torment as the Peter/Altlivia relationship keeps on rolling. :lol

Fireye

So... they ride old-timey bikes in the alternate universe? Simply another way to say "Hey, look at me, I'm like universe A, but different!"?

Loved the first episode. Really bummed about Olivia's personality, but I'm sure it'll resolve itself before the end of the season.

Hairtux

Fireye said:
So... they ride old-timey bikes in the alternate universe? Simply another way to say "Hey, look at me, I'm like universe A, but different!"?

Loved the first episode. Really bummed about Olivia's personality, but I'm sure it'll resolve itself before the end of the season.

That's not too surprising. I saw someone in a suit riding a unicycle to work back when I was in college.

The Big Rig said:
I think my favorite "Find the Difference" for the episode was the advertisement for the hit Broadway play "Dogs".
I laughed every time they showed that. My friends wanted to kill me by the end.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shit man, other side has daily trips to the moon.

Anyway, ok episode. Necessary for setup, I suppose, but not particularly engaging.

You know, FOX is going to have a field day with advertising in the alternate universe.

j81eae.png

Fans will be spend so much time playing 'spot the difference', it's a perfect way to bring in advertising revenue. Back to the Future II did the same exact thing.

Honestly, I don't mind. Fringe with a higher budget? Yes please.

Brinbe

Exclamation-One said:
You know, FOX is going to have a field day with advertising in the alternate universe.

j81eae.png

Fans will be spend so much time playing 'spot the difference', it's a perfect way to bring in advertising revenue. Back to the Future II did the same exact thing.

Honestly, I don't mind. Fringe with a higher budget? Yes please.
Yeah, it was hard not to notice that, it stuck out so much. :lol

Novid

Banned
Well, this episode is only one part of the two part premere - that being said the Ani-Verse is well thought out - but it seems that at one time both universes were one and the same (before Peter was taken) it would be intresting to see why or how that took place.

The fact the Ani-Humans are already on the moon, etc - states that the regluar universe has been made retarded for some reason. It could be that the watchers/Others want humans to be given a seblance of freedom (but be mostly in a Totalatrian state ala GiTS) before they are given the tech to explore the stars? Maybe Walternate is right and the Normal Humans are "truly" monsters?

Yaweee

Novid said:
Well, this episode is only one part of the two part premere - that being said the Ani-Verse is well thought out - but it seems that at one time both universes were one and the same (before Peter was taken) it would be intresting to see why or how that took place.

The fact the Ani-Humans are already on the moon, etc - states that the regluar universe has been made retarded for some reason. It could be that the watchers/Others want humans to be given a seblance of freedom (but be mostly in a Totalatrian state ala GiTS) before they are given the tech to explore the stars? Maybe Walternate is right and the Normal Humans are "truly" monsters?

The history is known to go far back long before Peter was taken. Not only were they far more advanced by the time of Peter's abduction, but there were tons of historical events different before then. "Who is Jackson?", no JFK assasination, Michigan's upper peninsula was never taken (taken back?) in the war of 1812, many of the early states/areas are named or spelled differently (District of Virginia, Manhatan).

HeySeuss

Awesome start to the season. I really like the differences of the other side and hopefully they use some of the differences as plot devices. Personally I think the MOTW episodes could be done even more effectively now with the different universes.

Each Olivia will gradually learn that the people are similar and that neither universe is "bad" and realize the war is just being driven by Walternate out of revenge.

I'd also like to see a MOTW episode on the moon. But that's probably asking too much.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
leroy hacker said:
Also, did anyone else think the mention of Tom Cruise by Lincoln Lee was meant as a shout out to Collateral?
When he said "Watching Tom Cruise kicking ass on TV" the first thing that popped in my head is that the alternate universes 24 stars Tom Cruise :lol

Regarding the alternate history, I believe that the existence of a character named "Lincoln Lee" from a prominent family is meant to suggest that every alternate historian's favorite event, the civil war, may have proceeded differently in the other universe.

At any rate, there's a lot of interesting directions they can take exploring the alternate history. I look forward to seeing where that ancient manuscript showing Peter as a weapon came from and if it has anything to do with the "first people." I wonder if the alternate universe is more advanced because of advanced ancient technology they left behind, such as perhaps the power source that Peter's DNA can turn on.

AnkitT

Oh lol, they should have come up with better biology/chemistry to define the effect of the "memories". They probably went with a subsection of b-lymphocytes being called "memory" cells and basically ran with the memory aspect. But most wont notice. Nice episode, liked it very much.

Ratings were not too great for the show.

Deadline said:
Down night all-around: Bones (2.7/8) slipped 17% from its premiere a week earlier last year, while Fringe (2.1/6) was down 30% from the same week, the steepest year-to-year decline for any returning series. Comparisons to the same night last year (Week 2 for both series back then) are more favorable: Bones was down 4%, Fringe 9%.

Solo said:
I will never forgive FOX (and the American public) if this gets shitbinned this season.
At the very least we have a full season to look forward to. And the critics are all over the show singing its praises.

But I do wonder if they moved it to another night (like back to Tuesday) it would do better.

We should be fine as long as it holds steady to last year, which is what saved it before.

Top Bottom