• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I forgot, wasn't the Quarantine Amber featured in one of the early first season episodes in what seemed like a MotW episode?

Dead

well not really...yet
Just started watching, holy shit, Sarah Connor much? :lol

And god damn, Makeup work on Fringe is out of this world for a TV show

big ander

Gah, I wish everything on Thursdays could coexist and all succeed. Except Outsourced. According to anecdotal evidence from Twitter and Facebook, people actually liked that shit. Fucking a.

Seeing a lot of comments that this was boring. I'm surprised at that, because I felt the pacing, cinematography, and acting came together to deliver a super tense episode. For one, imagine season 1 Olivia doing an episode like "Olivia." I wouldn't have been able to conceive it. But truly, she shines in this episode. I've been a huge Peter/Walter fan from the beginning. Yet Olivia gets more and more interesting every season.
I mean hell, imagine doing all that to escape and going to so many locations, only to come to one and realize that nothing is the same and you're as far from home as you can be. That shot where she's alone in the park is beautiful, and really shows off what the episode is getting across: Olivia is in deep shit.

More titles and press releases:
3.03 said:
The Plateu <--not a typo.
TIMING IS CRITICAL WHEN DEADLY FRINGE EVENTS OCCUR OVER THERE
ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE” THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7, ON FOX

In this case, timing is everything as a series of anomalous events lead the Fringe Division to investigate deadly incidents with unimaginable coincidences. As the freaky crimes continue to occur, the team is in a race against time to protect potential victims. Meanwhile, Secretary Bishop shares his strategic plan with Colonel Broyles as Olivia grapples with a heart-stopping vision in the all-new “The Plateau” episode of FRINGE airing Thursday, Oct. 7 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-303) (TV-14 V)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth

Guest Cast: Kirk Acevedo as Charlie Francis; Ryan James McDonald as Alt Brandon; Michael Eklund as Milo; Philip Winchester as Frank Stanton; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee; Malcolm Stewart as Dr. Levin; Kacey Rohl as Madeline
I'm gonna call Alt Brandon: Andon. DWI.

3.04 said:
Do Shapeshifters Dream of Electric Sheep?
NEWTON WAKES A SLEEPER ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE” THURSDAY, OCTOBER 14, ON FOX

Newton, concerned about the consequences of a distressing development involving a high-ranking official, is forced to call to action a sleeping shapeshifter. As Walter and the rest of the team gather evidence, they move the investigation to Massive Dynamic, where Olivia goes on high alert and Walter finds himself in a perilous situation, in the all-new “Do Shapeshifters Dream of Electric Sheep?” episode of FRINGE airing Thursday, Oct. 14 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-304)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth

Guest Cast: Andre Royo as Henry; Amy Madigan as Marilyn
Ugh I love that title. Oh and waitwaitwait
Henry in an Our Side episode? Hooooooly shit. Not to mention Newton's bustin heads another week.

Preview clip for 3.02: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL_Zmc6ncFs
H8 u
bolivia

And a really cool easter egg that I didn't see really discussed: You know the flights to the moon from Glatterflug? Everyone is saying that's a cool alt-difference, but in the Pilot, the airline that 627 was on: Glatterflug. And what Olivia flies to Germany in Mr. Jones: Glatterflug.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The premiere was good, I'm glad they're not painting the Olivia/Altlivia situation totally black and white. This episode did a good job of making the alternate Fringe team more sympathetic and I have a feeling Altlivia isn't going to really be a villain. Overall I'm excited to see where the show goes.

big ander

Spire said:
The premiere was good, I'm glad they're not painting the Olivia/Altlivia situation totally black and white. This episode did a good job of making the alternate Fringe team more sympathetic and I have a feeling Altlivia isn't going to really be a villain. Overall I'm excited to see where the show goes.
My current theory: this will all eventually grow in scope again to be both universes versus First People.
Whoever they are.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
big ander said:
My current theory: this will all eventually grow in scope again to be both universes versus First People.
Whoever they are.

What a great phrase First People is. It's captured my imagination more than almost anything else on the show and it's just two words, we literally have nothing more than that. It just suggests something ancient, epic, and somewhat otherworldy, I'm dying to learn more about them.

jax (old)

Banned
I thought the return episode (which I've learnt is part of a 2 part starter) was sort of dull, especially after last seasons epic finale. The fact that they start with Olivia escaping after what looks to be prolonged imprisonment was a bit ... hmmmm

From the fact that she was at the theatre while the amber containment dust was released, she was held... maybe oh, a week?

should have been focused on the other side and then after 3-4 episodes, back to olivia.

big ander

Spire said:
What a great phrase First People is. It's captured my imagination more than almost anything else on the show and it's just two words, we literally have nothing more than that. It just suggests something ancient, epic, and somewhat otherworldy, I'm dying to learn more about them.
It truly does make me think of something beyond Earth. I can't wait to see this mythology slowly reveal itself.
Jax said:
I thought the return episode (which I've learnt is part of a 2 part starter) was sort of dull, especially after last seasons epic finale. The fact that they start with Olivia escaping after what looks to be prolonged imprisonment was a bit ... hmmmm

From the fact that she was at the theatre while the amber containment dust was released, she was held... maybe oh, a week?

should have been focused on the other side and then after 3-4 episodes, back to olivia.
They're switching off universes every episode. Next week will be entirely Our Side, week 3 Over There, week 4 Our Side, etc.
this continues until about week (I want to say) 8.
The ambering doesn't necessitate that it's been a week. From Lincoln's progression with his burns, we can guess it's been at least a month and a half, I'd say. I'm guessing ambering the theater was a last resort once Olivia escaped.

EDIT: Also, 3.03 might actually be titled
The Plateau.
SpoilerTV has it the way I spelled it originally, but other sites have it spelled this way.

This is the first episode I've seen since the pilot. At first I thought the characters were pretty lame and the show was just a rip off of the X-Files. Olivia didn't really grab me and all I could see from Josh Jackson was Pacey so there was very little incentive to watch.

But I recalled hearing something back in Season 1 about Olivia and a car crash and alternate realities. Sounded interesting but I never tuned in. And out of boredom I watched Season 3 opener and loved all that alternate reality junk. So now I have to go back and watch all of Season 1 and 2.

I hate watching a show then having it get canceled 10 episodes in. Fuck you, Fox. Fuck you.

Teh Hamburglar said:
This is the first episode I've seen since the pilot. At first I thought the characters were pretty lame and the show was just a rip off of the X-Files. Olivia didn't really grab me and all I could see from Josh Jackson was Pacey so there was very little incentive to watch.

But I recalled hearing something back in Season 1 about Olivia and a car crash and alternate realities. Sounded interesting but I never tuned in. And out of boredom I watched Season 3 opener and loved all that alternate reality junk. So now I have to go back and watch all of Season 1 and 2.

I hate watching a show then having it get canceled 10 episodes in. Fuck you, Fox. Fuck you.
Oh damn. Then you are in for a treat. There are some bumps here and there, but when this show is on it is ON.

As for the preview clip listed above: it bothers me that Peter hasn't picked up on the fact that that isn't "his" Olivia. I would think Peter would figure it out pretty damn quick.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
big ander said:
EDIT: Also, 3.03 might actually be titled
The Plateau.
SpoilerTV has it the way I spelled it originally, but other sites have it spelled this way.
It was spelled correctly within the episode summary you posted.

Teh Hamburglar said:

Yeah, I didn't keep watching after the pilot until the first season's hiatus when I heard about some interesting developments then I went back and caught up. There's a definite march towards real quality around the halfway point of season one.

Zoe

big ander said:
Ugh I love that title. Oh and waitwaitwait
Henry in an Our Side episode? Hooooooly shit.

Not necessarily.
They'll probably keep switching back to the other side at the end of the episode to act as a transition like they did with this week.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yaweee said:
Something to look forward to:

A four week hiatus after the fourth episode!
You have got to be shitting me :lol

The ratings always drop after these random hiatuses, why do they keep doing it?

Zoe

Killthee said:
You have got to be shitting me :lol

The ratings always drop after these random hiatuses, why do they keep doing it?

Cause sports get even better ratings.

TripOpt55

After the fourth episode? Well that stinks. I think we usually get the first ten before a hiatus. Usually just a week off here or there before that. A month long break that early is pretty lame.

Yaweee

TripOpt55 said:
After the fourth episode? Well that stinks. I think we usually get the first ten before a hiatus. Usually just a week off here or there before that. A month long break that early is pretty lame.

No, there has always been a break with pretty much every Fox show for the MLB playoffs and World Series.

And it is only 3 weeks, technically. Oct 14th to November 11th or something.

TripOpt55

Yaweee said:
No, there has always been a break with pretty much every Fox show for the MLB playoffs and World Series.

And it is only 3 weeks, technically. Oct 14th to November 11th or something.
Hmmm... I just looked it up and it seems it was Oct 21st to November 11th and Oct 15th to November 5th in Seasons 1 and 2. So it was shorter then. Only two weeks off I guess (three week break if you think of it that way). I think I took the one month off comment different than you just explained it.

BikoBiko

Ouch for those ratings, that worries me a bit. And damn that ending made me sad, real Olivia not remembering who she really is anymore and the gang not realizing that they're not working with the real Olivia. That made Peter kissing her a bit of a sad sight.

CrankyJay

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
While I dont mind the monster of the week stuff, the alternate reality stuff is where the show really took off and got all kinds of crazy and awesome.
True, but if they overuse it they tire us out on it.

Loved the episode, but the vancouver references kept distracting me. While the Orpheum actually is the name of that Opera House, the "Manhattan" shot was just the Cambie street bridge, and Fringe HQ is our public library. :lol

(I kept thinking: how sinister! there's a pizza place in there!) :lol

anyone noticed the abundant use of purple lights/flashes especially in the taxi scenes with Olivia and Henry? I don't know if it's a deliberate blue + red hint by the team, in that two people from different universes are talking/making friendship there.

big ander

Yaweee said:
Something to look forward to:

A four week hiatus after the fourth episode!
8o36a.jpg

Angry Olivia is angry.
Zoe said:
Not necessarily.
They'll probably keep switching back to the other side at the end of the episode to act as a transition like they did with this week.
Yeah, I realized this later. Yet another reminder that posting at 4am is a bad idea :lol
But still, if
he's featured at the end of an episode, I think we can figure it's a pretty good cliffhanger. I think.
Larson Conway said:
anyone noticed the abundant use of purple lights/flashes especially in the taxi scenes with Olivia and Henry? I don't know if it's a deliberate blue + red hint by the team, in that two people from different universes are talking/making friendship there.
I did notice it, but didn't think it was about Henry also, that's a good point. He could have a secret past or something.

Dan

Zoe said:
Not necessarily.
More to the point
the cast list says Amy Madigan is back as Olivia's mother and that pretty much only makes sense if we're seeing Earth-2, or perhaps a flashback

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Opener was OK. A little... boring. I want to see Fringe division (EITHER Fringe division) spend their 42 minutes actually investigating crazy Fringe events, dammit.

I don't think Olivia is faking it in order to put a stop to her imprisonment. I HOPE that she is, but... I don't think so. Think about how she was already becoming confused in the taxi when it was just her and Henry, and how she was a crack shot.

Her thinking she is Bolivia is not a great story arc, TBH. So fingers crossed she is faking, but the evidence points to the contrary.

Also, some of the alt. universe stuff is a little over the top. Old timey bikes! Hit broadway musical DOGS! Derp derp derp.

Lastly, what was with that zeppelin that flashed and disappeared at the end of the ep?

Shinjitsu

Banned
GDJustin said:
Opener was OK. A little... boring. I want to see Fringe division (EITHER Fringe division) spend their 42 minutes actually investigating crazy Fringe events, dammit.

I don't think Olivia is faking it in order to put a stop to her imprisonment. I HOPE that she is, but... I don't think so. Think about how she was already becoming confused in the taxi when it was just her and Henry, and how she was a crack shot.

Her thinking she is Bolivia is not a great story arc, TBH. So fingers crossed she is faking, but the evidence points to the contrary.

Also, some of the alt. universe stuff is a little over the top. Old timey bikes! Hit broadway musical DOGS! Derp derp derp.

Lastly, what was with that zeppelin that flashed and disappeared at the end of the ep?

The zeppelin was just a way of showing the transition to the other world.

Dan

GDJustin said:

I'd say the most likely outcome is that she's faking the bit about believing she's Bolivia. She's retaining her real memories but also incorporating the knowledge and abilities of Bolivia. Maybe there will be times when she can't quite separate those different histories, but at the end of the day I expect she'll be able to tap into both.

Dan said:
I'd say the most likely outcome is that she's faking the bit about believing she's Bolivia. She's retaining her real memories but also incorporating the knowledge and abilities of Bolivia. Maybe there will be times when she can't quite separate those different histories, but at the end of the day I expect she'll be able to tap into both.
Yeap, pretty much my bet too

jax (old)

Banned
gotta ask. so

alterverse fringe guys went and ... dyed her pubes? Surely olivia would notice something amiss if she went to the toilet?

... ...

also per time of capitivty: which I raised. Her natural hair colour would have shown.....

Solo said:
I can't believe people didn't understand this. Also, it was a fucking cool transition.

I understood what they were TRYING to do, but what they actually did was make it look like the zeppelin was disappearing into our world. They have already established that shit drifts between the universes all the time.

It was ill conceived, distracting, and stupid; considering the logic they've already set up on the show.

Don't slam the "people" for "[not] understand[ing] [that]" when it's the show that established the logic we're trying to follow.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I understood what they were TRYING to do, but what they actually did was make it look like the zeppelin was disappearing into our world. They have already established that shit drifts between the universes all the time.

It was ill conceived, distracting, and stupid; considering the logic they've already set up on the show.

Don't slam the "people" for "[not] understand[ing] [that]" when it's the show that established the logic we're trying to follow.

Yeah this bothered me too.

BenjaminBirdie said:

uhm, the whole sky changed and a flock of birds appeared, plus the story continued in our universe (to which the zeppelin would have teleported to, your logic makes no sense then. You would think they should be surprised when they leave the building and find a zeppelin somewhere close by). Also, nothing of equal size was teleported to their universe, only then the show's logic would apply.

I guess the reactions mean no more cool scene transitions for the next episodes :(

SolidusDave said:
uhm, the whole sky changed and a flock of birds appeared, plus the story continued in our universe (to which the zeppelin would have teleported to, your logic makes no sense then. You would think they should be surprised when they leave the building and find a zeppelin somewhere close by). Also, nothing of equal size was teleported to their universe, only then the show's logic would apply.

I guess the reactions mean no more cool scene transitions for the next episodes :(

Like I said, I understand what happened. I wasn't confused. The problem is that the show was using an active process it has established on the show to describe a passive one, the transition between scenes.

It's just poor fundamental storytelling, and no details you've unearthed will change that.

Catching up, just watched it last night:
The Big Rig said:
Jerry Maguire obviously was never made in this universe. Cuba would have had a huge sponsorship.
:lol
Exclamation-One said:
An interesting parallel - Olivia's had two sets of memories in her head before (John Scott's).

She's also a Cortexikid, so I doubt her memory replacement is going to work as intended.
good point, it'll be interesting to see it play out.

RE: breaks - let's just hope everyone hits the balls, makes the scores, and wins all the game so all the games are sweeps.

Top Bottom