• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

ultron87

big ander said:
I'm cool with people not watching all of the show; extremely casual tv fans exist and that's fine. But not watching parts of a show, or any piece of media for that matter, and still claiming you didn't miss much is factually wrong. Knowing plot bullet points != taking in the show.

Okay, fair enough. I change my statement:

I feel like the episodes I haven't watched have not significantly hindered my enjoyment of this season.

big ander

iNvidious01 said:
dont really get the rating thing (not from US) but i take it fringe did shit
It's been doing pretty badly for a while now.
Teh Hamburglar said:
If they were online, I would!
Oh, they're online. Google-fu!
ultron87 said:
Okay, fair enough. I change my statement:

I feel like the episodes I haven't watched have not significantly hindered my enjoyment of this season.
See, I'd still disagree with this. You can certainly enjoy season 3 without having seen other episodes, but seeing the other episodes and knowing the complete backstory and watching the characters grow and the plots progress would significantly boost your enjoyment of the show.

iNvidious01 said:
dont really get the rating thing (not from US) but i take it fringe did shit

It's a bit bad, but Fringe is still doing better than other Fox shows (Terminator and Dollhouse) did on a Friday night, but it is dropping

To put things into perspective. Fringe drew in 13million+ viewers for the second episode of Season 1 (the best it ever did), and had a bunch of 10+ million viewers for a few episodes that year. For season 2 (when it moved to Thursday) it never broke 10million and dropped steadily all year ending with about 5million viewers for the last few episodes. The show kept that 5million number at the start of season 3 (when the show was still on a Thursday). It started to drop a bit though, and was at the 4.5 million mark for a few episodes before the switch to Friday. However, when it moved to Friday, it kept those numbers for the first few episode (which is good) and is now dipping under the 4million mark.

To compare, Dollhouse was canceled getting around 2million during its last few episodes of it second season, and Terminator was cancelled with around 3.5million for its last bunch for its second season.

BTW, the viewer numbers (in millions) is different that the rating share (the current been a 1.3 for Fringe). Terminator got canceled by Fox when it was around the low 1.X numbers (the last few episodes were ranging for 1.4 to 1.0)

IMO things are bad for Fringe now. It has one more episode left before a 3 week break, and if it pulls in bad numbers this Friday, FOX may not advertise its comeback on April 15th. Obviously, with no publicity, its numbers will fall more when it returns, and I cannot see it living to season 4 if it stays at 1.3 or drops lower as we close up season 3/

tl;dr If Fringe stays at 1.3 this week, it is gone (IMO)

Raistlin

big ander said:
Oh man this would be awesome. And I realized yesterday that Netflix might change it up even more: what if "House of Cards" is just released all at once, the entire season? Or what if it follows a "when an ep is finished, it's posted" schedule? Could be crazy.
What will be most awesome is bringing back Firefly once Castle is over.

BERIEVE

Keyser Soze said:
Given March Madness that seems a bit silly. Granted I'd have look at how other shows faired but I assume most things did shit. Hell, most networks aren't even airing new eps during the bracket.

ivysaur12

Banned
Raistlin said:
What will be most awesome is bringing back Firefly once Castle is over.

BERIEVE

Given March Madness that seems a bit silly. Granted I'd have look at how other shows faired but I assume most things did shit. Hell, most networks aren't even airing new eps during the bracket.

A 1.3 is a not good. Neither is a 1.4. A 1.5 is barely passable.

Fringe has some work to do.

Raistlin said:

I should have stated that it will be gone, one again in my opinion. Fox just wont bother advertising its comeback if it goes into the break on a bad rating. Another bad rating on Friday will snowball into the show getting cancel in the future.

Basically, if I was a network exec (heartless and evil!!) this coming Friday is probably the most important episode of the season for Fringe. They wont cancel it regardless of the rating that night, but with a bad rating they could easily choose to let the show fizzle out without promotion (NBC Journeyman style).

iNvid02

sounds like the switch to friday hurt it bad, shame a great show might go under because some suits want to change the schedule

iNvidious01 said:
sounds like the switch to friday hurt it bad, shame a great show might go under because some suits want to change the schedule

The move to Thursday (for Season 2) hurt it worse in the long run as it has been losing viewers week after week for the past 30 episodes whilst there.

The move to Friday was a last ditch effort to save it, as if the show pulled its Thursday numbers on a Friday that would be considered good by Fox (as very, very few shows do good on a Friday on US TV) - see Friday Night Death Slot.

It did keep its Thursday numbers for the first few Friday episodes, which would have pleased Fox. Although the last two episodes have started to see drops.

Personally, I think keeping it Thursday would have 100% killed the show come the end of this season. Fox could not have did a season 4 if numbers kept dropping on that day. They can however tolerate less viewers on Friday, thus giving the show some hope to survive.

Solo

The writing is on the wall, unfortunately. Ratings almost always go in one direction for shows that have been on a few seasons, and that is downward. Seeing that we're on life support now, its only going to get worse.

I still contend and always will that the dumbest thing FOX ever did was move it off Tuesdays.

ivysaur12

Banned
Solo said:
The writing is on the wall, unfortunately. Ratings almost always go in one direction for shows that have been on a few seasons, and that is downward. Seeing that we're on life support now, its only going to get worse.

I still contend and always will that the dumbest thing FOX ever did was move it off Tuesdays.

Easily the worst thing to do, especially given the tonal shift in the show from the first to second season.

Unfortunately, there's really little we can do now. FOX's schedule is super packed with room for maybe one bubble show. I think Fringe's days are numbered, as much as I hate to admit it. Unless if you're a Nielsen family, then WATCH THAT SHIT LIVE ASAP.

~66 episodes is nothing to scoff at. It's been a good series, let's enjoy the ending. There will be other shows that will (hopefully) take its place next season, like Alcatraz.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Keyser Soze said:
It's a bit bad, but Fringe is still doing better than other Fox shows (Terminator and Dollhouse) did on a Friday night, but it is dropping

To put things into perspective. Fringe drew in 13million+ viewers for the second episode of Season 1 (the best it ever did), and had a bunch of 10+ million viewers for a few episodes that year. For season 2 (when it moved to Thursday) it never broke 10million and dropped steadily all year ending with about 5million viewers for the last few episodes. The show kept that 5million number at the start of season 3 (when the show was still on a Thursday). It started to drop a bit though, and was at the 4.5 million mark for a few episodes before the switch to Friday. However, when it moved to Friday, it kept those numbers for the first few episode (which is good) and is now dipping under the 4million mark.

To compare, Dollhouse was canceled getting around 2million during its last few episodes of it second season, and Terminator was cancelled with around 3.5million for its last bunch for its second season.

BTW, the viewer numbers (in millions) is different that the rating share (the current been a 1.3 for Fringe). Terminator got canceled by Fox when it was around the low 1.X numbers (the last few episodes were ranging for 1.4 to 1.0)

IMO things are bad for Fringe now. It has one more episode left before a 3 week break, and if it pulls in bad numbers this Friday, FOX may not advertise its comeback on April 15th. Obviously, with no publicity, its numbers will fall more when it returns, and I cannot see it living to season 4 if it stays at 1.3 or drops lower as we close up season 3/

Thank you for the very informative post. I'm sad now. I lost hope :(

Purkake4

Banned
An invoice for plastic explosives... Really Fringe, really?

Also not into the whole mysticism bullshit that seems to be cropping up.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I honestly didn't want it to last more than 3 seasons anyway. I see no point. I just hope the writers thought of things in the same manner.

Writers should be aware of cancellation and prepare a story that should be done with in 3 seasons.

Zoe

Veidt said:
I honestly didn't want it to last more than 3 seasons anyway. I see no point. I just hope the writers thought of things in the same manner.

Bu-bu-... First People :(

big ander

Veidt said:

Writers should be aware of cancellation and prepare a story that should be done with in 3 seasons.
Well it's not good either to plan a complete ending when renewal is still technically a possibility. Giving up isn't exactly more attractive to the network.
And there's a point to lasting longer than 3 seasons if we don't get an ending. And the writers probably didn't think of ending after 3 seasons ahead of time because again, you don't plan on failure. And I don't think they have time to do major rewrites and shooting changes considering there are only 5 episodes in 7 weeks left. I bet they're already shooting the last two episodes.
Essentially, all of what you're saying is impossible. :p

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
It is possible. Here in the UK. Great tv shows don't really last longer than 1-2 seasons. Because both the writers and the channel broadcasting are aware of what they want. The writers actually want to make a show that's worth while, and the BBC wants good shows, instead of ones that get most viewers. And ironically, they get the most viewers!

Y'all need to get on this shit yo.

big ander

Veidt said:
It is possible. Here in the UK. Great tv shows don't really last longer than 1-2 seasons. Because both the writers and the channel broadcasting are aware of what they want. The writers actually want to make a show that's worth while, and the BBC wants good shows, instead of ones that get most viewers. And ironically, they get the most viewers!

I know what's possible in the UK man, I'm not an idiot, but your post was acting like they can retroactively set up Fringe, a current serialized broadcast show, to make it last just three seasons when currently that's not doable while still giving us the full narrative.
Not even Walternate can do that kind of time travel

Veidt said:

And if you ask those British writers they have a great respect for the great American TV shows because they can last so long at a high quality (usually the comedic shows). Most great British shows are written by a small group of people, often just a pair. The great US shows have a lot of writers and I've heard a few great Brits (Cleese, Gervais, Merchant, Pegg & Wright) say they think Americans might just work better in larger groups.

Of course the shows that only have a few seasons and end on a high note are better off. The British do care a more about the legacy of a show than most American TV producers. But cable TV producers seem to care more about quality too. All the great American dramas are on cable now. I think it's amazing Fringe has been able to get better as the seasons pass.

Zoe said:
For people always asking for Firefly... do you want to disregard the movie then?
Exactly. Would you want a new series without Wash?

Firefly tried to come back with the movie and it was not a big financial success. Be thankful it even got the movie and some closure. It has been nearly 8 years since cancellation and almost 6 since the movie. Let it go for gods sake.

Zoe

PhoncipleBone said:
Exactly. Would you want a new series without Wash?

Firefly tried to come back with the movie and it was not a big financial success. Be thankful it even got the movie and some closure. It has been nearly 8 years since cancellation and almost 6 since the movie. Let it go for gods sake.

I only watched one episode and then the movie, so I can't say I have a particular attachment. However, the movie was a complete package and it killed off some of the characters...

Zoe said:
I only watched one episode and then the movie, so I can't say I have a particular attachment. However, the movie was a complete package and it killed off some of the characters...
That is how I was the first time I saw the movie. I watched the pilot and the first episode and was "meh" on the show. I then gave the movie a try and thought it was pretty good, but nothing amazing.

A few weeks ago I finally watched the entire series followed by the movie, and I like it more now, but it is still not THAT amazing. I can see why people would be mad about Firefly's cancellation at the time, because it had some very good episodes (but more decent than great) and a lot of potential. But they were able to convince a studio that it was popular enough to come back for another shot, and that failed too. It has been over half a decade since the attempt to bring it back. People need to let it go.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any kind of preview for tomorrow? All i saw was that something was happening to FauxOlivia's baby.

‎
TVGuide‎ #Fringe has been renewed for a fourth season. Details coming shortly...
Twitter -
8 minutes ago

I KNEW IT!!!!!!

Woot woot!

Fox isn't as stupid as we'd like to think they are. The understand that a good show + loyal fanbase = $$$$

Solo

Hmmm... not sure if want.

Pros:
- more Fringe, duh
- chance to plan an ending

Cons:
- budget lol (this would effect Fringe more than most shows)

gdt

Holy bejeesus.

Hopefully it's a final short season. We all know the budget will get slashed, don't really wanna see that.

I still shudder at some of the Chuck budget cuts.

big ander

Solo said:
Hmmm... not sure if want.

Pros:
- more Fringe, duh
- chance to plan an ending

Cons:
- budget lol (this would effect Fringe more than most shows)
You said this about the second half of season 3 and there wasn't anything too noticeable.

Top Bottom