• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

jeffster_fireworks_loop.gif

Sorry, but it is the most appropriate GIF I can think of.

JOY OF JOYS!

You know what, fuck it. I am drinking heavy tonight just to celebrate!

I am beaming here, really. I just want to jump up and down for joy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Sweet, more Walter craziness and Peter badassness!

Time for applause! It's an important moment!

0268_em2u.gif

Solo

big ander said:
You said this about the second half of season 3 and there wasn't anything too noticeable.

? We have no idea if any of the post move episodes have aired yet. Not to mention that I think the budget is probably locked in at the beginning of the season. Next year from day one they will be handicapped that way. Look, this is mostly fantastic news, but I have to refer to Chuck. Fans of that show will remember how excited we were when it got renewed for S3, and look how that turned out - budget slashed seemingly into about a quarter of what it was, and a shittastic season all around. Im not saying Fringe is going to follow that, but it has taught me to temper my expectations when a renewal is seemingly snatched from the jaws of cancellation. Seems like a gift, can be a curse.

In retrospect I wish Chuck had been cancelled after S2, to complete that example.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hell yes, I'm so happy it's gotten a 4th season. I have goosebumps all over due to the news.

My favourite show on TV right now by a good length.

Strawberry milkshakes for all!

I do think they need to be realistic and plan season 4 as the final season. Start setting up the endgame, and go out on their own terms.

MODS: Any way to get the thread title to reflect the renewal? Like "Cortexiphan: Side Effects Include Being Renewed for a 4th Season."

gdt

Solo said:
? We have no idea if any of the post move episodes have aired yet. Not to mention that I think the budget is probably locked in at the beginning of the season. Next year from day one they will be handicapped that way. Look, this is mostly fantastic news, but I have to refer to Chuck. Fans of that show will remember how excited we were when it got renewed for S3, and look how that turned out - budget slashed seemingly into about a quarter of what it was, and a shittastic season all around. Im not saying Fringe is going to follow that, but it has taught me to temper my expectations when a renewal is seemingly snatched from the jaws of cancellation. Seems like a gift, can be a curse.

Exactly.

I still remember the first shot where the new budget was evident in Chuck. That outside train station shot omgwtfwasthat.

ivysaur12

Banned
Solo said:

You also can look at Dollhouse's second season - less than a million dollars an episode - and it still was some of Whedon's best work.

It really depends on who's running the show.

ivysaur12 said:
You also can look at Dollhouse's second season - less than a million dollars an episode - and it still was some of Whedon's best work.

Yup. Some people know how to work well with severe limitations. I think Fringe has done well with the already reduced budget compared to season 1. It was obvious it had a budget cut, but it was still handled extremely well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Jace Lacob says that there's no confirmation at episode number. BUT considering how early the renewal is (May is a month and some change away) I'd assume it'd be for 22... which would be amazing.

My immediate reaction to the news:
tumblr_lg0pdpw3lS1qe6r7y.gif

It is such a relief to know it is renewed. No more sitting by week after week and dreading the end of it all. I do hope they tie things up and give us a good ending to it all. While I would love the show to continue at its current quality level and run for years, I would rather it tie up nicely in the end than be cancelled without any resolution.

Solo

When I think of Fringe, I think of a ton of location shooting, great special effects and the occasion large, impressive set. I fear for all of these now. I know how much of a Debbie Downer I sound like right now, but I dunno, I dont want Fringe to become one of those shows where almost every location is simply the Harvard lab set dressed to look like something else.

ivysaur12 said:

They adapted Astonishing X-Men into a series? Or did they just reair Angel Season 5?

ANYWAY, back to AWESOME shows...

HOLY SHIT YES, FRINGE SEASON 4!!!!

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Yup. Some people know how to work well with severe limitations. I think Fringe has done well with the already reduced budget compared to season 1. It was obvious it had a budget cut, but it was still handled extremely well.

To be fair, Chuck is a great example of this failing, and Dollhouse had the luxury of a $900,000 set where they could set most of their action, dramatically cutting costs. I still don't think it will be as much of an issue for Fringe though.

BenjaminBirdie said:
They adapted Astonishing X-Men into a series? Or did they just reair Angel Season 5?

ANYWAY, back to AWESOME shows...

HOLY SHIT YES, FRINGE SEASON 4!!!!

Incidentally, Angel's 5th season also had its budget slashed.

big ander

Solo said:

In retrospect I wish Chuck had been cancelled after S2, to complete that example.
What Ivysaur said. We don't have a clue how much the budget will decrease or if that decrease will be very obvious. I'm just saying that you're focusing on a very small possible con among a bomb of good news.
Meier said:
JUST SAW THE TWEET FROM AUSIELLO! YESSSSSSSSSS!
Follow better TV news/critics :p

Solo said:
When I think of Fringe, I think of a ton of location shooting, great special effects and the occasion large, impressive set. I fear for all of these now. I know how much of a Debbie Downer I sound like right now, but I dunno, I dont want Fringe to become one of those shows where almost every location is simply the Harvard lab set dressed to look like something else.
I can understand the skepticism. Truly I can. While the location shooting has gone down some since the first season, the big thing that keeps me coming back is the fantastic writing and acting. While losing some of the visual polish would detract some from the experience, as long as they keep the writing and acting at the same high caliber, I will be happy.

Chuck took not only a nosedive in the visual department, but also in the writing in the third season. But there were plenty of fantastic episodes in the last two seasons of it because the writing finally got back up to par. Sure, there have been more misses than hits on the last two seasons of the show, but the writing and performances are the most important things that contribute to the quality.

And at least Fringe doesn't have to worry about having its music budget cut, since it hardly licenses anything. I do however expect to see lots of talk about Sprint 4G service next season.

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I can understand the skepticism. Truly I can. While the location shooting has gone down some since the first season, the big thing that keeps me coming back is the fantastic writing and acting. While losing some of the visual polish would detract some from the experience, as long as they keep the writing and acting at the same high caliber, I will be happy.

Chuck took not only a nosedive in the visual department, but also in the writing in the third season. But there were plenty of fantastic episodes in the last two seasons of it because the writing finally got back up to par. Sure, there have been more misses than hits on the last two seasons of the show, but the writing and performances are the most important things that contribute to the quality.

And at least Fringe doesn't have to worry about having its music budget cut, since it hardly licenses anything. I do however expect to see lots of talk about Sprint 4G service next season.

Exactly. Fringe has actually done an incredible job this season masking its lowered budget. And you might not notice it, but you're actually already seeing the same lot scenes over and over again. Little of it is actually on location.

TV magic.

PhoncipleBone said:

What was that car Olivia was driving and theres a scene where she uses voice command to read a text. I thought for sure PRODUCT PLACEMENT flashed on the screen a few times.

Solo

To throw some optimism out there, at least this ensures the finale, which is no doubt a cliffhanger, won't leave us forever in limbo. I'd really love to hear that FOX pulled a LOST and give Fringe an end date ahead of time, be it 13 or 22 episodes.

EDIT: scratch 13, 22 it is!

Yaweee

1) This is going to prove to be an eternal counter-example to TV By The Numbers.

2) There is no logical explanation other than somebody blackmailing the FOX executives.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yaweee said:
1) This is going to prove to be an eternal counter-example to TV By The Numbers.

2) There is no logical explanation other than somebody blackmailing the FOX executives.

From Dollhouse to Fringe, I really, really love it when TVBTN's system gets messed up. Warms the heart, really.

Solo

A renewal this huge, this early....am I completely nuts in thinking FOX might move it off Fridays, to another day, say Wednesday?

cubanb

Banned
Yaweee said:

Maybe it is uncle rupert? Ill take any explanation

ivysaur12

Banned
Solo said:
A renewal this huge, this early....am I completely nuts in thinking FOX might move it off Fridays, to another day, say Wednesday?

No.

Their schedule will be:

Sunday: Animation Domination

Monday:

House
Terra Nova / The Chicago Code

Tues:

Glee
Raising Hope
New comedy

Wed:

X-Factor

Thurs:

X-Factor results
Terra Nova / Bones

Fri:

Bones / Hell's Kitchen
Fringe

HeySeuss

I saw the sudden surge of this thread and assumed the worst. I have never been so happy being wrong in all my life!

Awesome news!

Solo

ivysaur12 said:
No.

Their schedule will be:

Sunday: Animation Domination

Monday:

House
Terra Nova / The Chicago Code

Tues:

Glee
Raising Hope
New comedy

Wed:

X-Factor

Thurs:

X-Factor results
Terra Nova / Bones

Fri:

Bones / Hell's Kitchen
Fringe

I dunno. I just can't recall seeing a FULL SEASON renewal for a FRIDAY show in MARCH before. Thats what has me curious.

Top Bottom