• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
awilliams213 said:
I thought for a minute I somehow ended up in the other world where Fringe is successful a fourth season with 22 episodes great news.

Who said you didn't?

ElRenoRaven

Wow it wasn't a dream. lol

So upon having finally slept I was rereading the original post and realized we need to update it. One of the two Broyles are dead yet both are listed as alive. lol

PsychoRaven said:
Wow it wasn't a dream. lol

So upon having finally slept I was rereading the original post and realized we need to update it. One of the two Broyles are dead yet both are listed as alive. lol
At the time of posting, it was accurate. :) Same for people coming into season 3 at the beginning as well.

When I cook up the season 4 thread I will make it accurate for that season.

someone mind telling me some of what happened in last weeks episode? i think i missed it but im not sure. dont give a spoiler though, just a few things that happened

Mustaphadamus said:
someone mind telling me some of what happened in last weeks episode? i think i missed it but im not sure. dont give a spoiler though, just a few things that happened
Anna Torv imitates Leonard Nimoy, and there is a woman who works for a suicide hotline.

Just watch it on Hulu.

HOW HAVE I NEVER POSTED IN THIS THREAD. Just heard about the renewal! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MASSIVE DYNAMIC N64 LOGOS FOR EVERYONE!
2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg

2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg

2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg

2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg
2rfpz6s.jpg

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm gonna enjoy so much tonight's episode knowing that there are many more to come.

Ken Tucker from ew.com talks about the renewal.

Ken Tucker said:
The news that Fringe has been renewed for a fourth season came as a shock: When was the last time a network saved a quality cult show it had heretofore shown little sign of even understanding, let alone promoting? But then, the renewal is in keeping with the spirit of the series itself, with its themes of life everlasting and hope springing eternal.

Whatever the combination of factors that went into this Fox decision (my guesses are, in order: the devil we know may be at least as good as Terra Nova; we can’t only renew just our 20th Century Fox-produced shows, can we?; those pesky critics and more people than those who watch Smallville and Supernatural seem to like this damn thing; why not generate some publicity as kindly, benevolent suits instead of clueless, heartless ones for once?) the bottom line is, a glorious mind-f— of a family drama got the nod, and I wonder what the admirable Shawn Ryan is thinking now about the chances for his interesting The Chicago Code, given Fox’s limited prime-time space?

So what can we expect from the producers’ opportunity to play out toward Fringe‘s end-game? Beats me, I say happily, with qualifications. What I mean by that is, I’m not invested in the games of “here’s what the show needs to do” or “here’s where the show is headed” for my pleasure. I like to let a show I love wash over me every week, like a piece of new music or the next chapter in a novel I’m enjoying. In those last two examples, I don’t sit around with my finger hovering over my latest iPod song download or fretting in the midst of reading a long piece of fiction, pondering what I want the musician or the author to do, trying to second-guess the creators — I just get on with it, and enjoy the critical thinking afterward, not measuring whether the show/music/book has lived up to my predictions/wishes/dreams for it. Like the best pop culture, Fringe compels all of us, not just me and my colleagues, to respond as critics in the broadest sense — as discriminating consumers who like to tease out the meanings of what gives us pleasure (or frustrates us) in the show.

With this in mind, I feel as though, as an Observer has said, “it has begun” — that is, I’ve no doubt Fringe is well on its way to doing what few other TV shows have done. It deals in common realities and fantasies in a form that provides immediate pleasure; it is vital aesthetically, as work that rewards both casual viewing and repeated investigation.

We each like Fringe for different reasons. You might be invested in the Peter-Olivia relationship, while others are happy just to tune in and see how eccentrically amusing Walter is going to be this week. Some fans want their Fringe more hardcore sci-fi, and to place it in the context of the history of speculative fiction, both literary and pop-culturally. (There are, for sure, papers to be written about Fringe as the inverse of the Robert Heinlein approach to sci-fi, or the layering of its Philip K. Dick/Samuel R. Delany/Cyberpunk synthesis.)

Me, I’m in it for the show’s persistent fascination with real history — with its over-arching metaphors for the ways that the baby-boomer, counterculture-leaning generation as embodied most assiduously by Walter Bishop altered America’s thinking, and the rewards it gave, and traps it set, for future generations (i.e., Peter and Olivia’s, and perhaps their child’s).

Any way you look at it, however, Fringe has 22 fresh chances to make us think differently, not just about its own characters and it own stories, but our own characters, and our own lives.

Oh, and not to seem ungrateful or churlish, but one more thing: Fox, if you’re going to leave the show on Fridays next fall, will you please give it a more compatible lead-in than Gordon-bloody-Ramsay?
Agree? Disagree?

Me, I’m in it for the show’s persistent fascination with real history — with its over-arching metaphors for the ways that the baby-boomer, counterculture-leaning generation as embodied most assiduously by Walter Bishop altered America’s thinking, and the rewards it gave, and traps it set, for future generations (i.e., Peter and Olivia’s, and perhaps their child’s).

Shit! That is some insight!

Never really looked at it that way, but DANG!!

Spoilers from EW.com. Not anything huge, but fun lil tidbit.

EW said:
FRINGE: EPS TEASE TRIPPIEST EPISODE SINCE ‘BROWN BETTY’
Full disclosure: I was originally going to preview tonight’s episode of Fringe for you, but honestly, I’m in such a pleasant mood over the renewal that I say we move on to bigger matters, like episode 19, airing April 15.
Before the big news, Jeff Pinkner and Joel H. Wyman hopped on the phone with me to tease an episode I’ve been dying to know more about ever since I heard a rumor that it would be Astrid-centered, which, it turns out, isn’t entirely the case. Oh, I’ll just let them explain.
JP: It’s kind of nutty and adventurous and really fun and emotional and character driven storytelling but…
JW: Just in a way you wouldn’t expect.
EW: Well John Nobel said at a convention, I think, that the core three are incapacitated in some way…
JP: [laughs] He’s a very clever man. They are incapacitated in some way. And yet we still follow their story.
EW: That’s a mean tease.
JP: It’s a very trippy episode.
EW: That’s a fair thing to say about most Fringe episodes.
JP: This one, more than some others.
JW: You know how “Brown Betty” was sort of a departure? It’s kind of like that.
EW: Whoa.
JP: Minus the singing.
JW: No singing, no.
Bonus scoop for those of you dying to know more about tonight’s episode: There’s not much I can tell you other than this quote from executive producer Jeff Pinkner. “It will take place back with Bolivia and some very monumental life experiences occur.” Cool? Cool.

Yaweee

PhoncipleBone said:

Yeah, the name of the episode immediately implied some kind of connection to Brown Betty. Hopefully it is less... bad, I guess. Best title of the series, at least.

The title of tonight's episode hopefully implies some information about
Walter's father

The finale titles are some LOST-level shit (they're not Part One, Part Two this time? Just two separate episodes? Are they even going to be on the same night?)

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:

Cool. I loved Brown Betty. Fringe has done very good with the oddball out there episodes. While most series oddball episodes are usually cringe worthy, Fringe's haven't been at all. If anything they usually end up being interesting as hell.

big ander

TripOpt55 said:
I had to watch an episode in celebration of the renewal. I went with The Man from the Other Side. Such an awesome episode.
I watched Ability, Olivia In the Lab With the Revolver, and wanted to watch White Tulip but I needed sleep. :p
mustaphadamus said:
saw it,

good looking out! Man I dont know where the hell that day went.
If you ever need to know if you've seen every ep, wiki helps a lot.
PhoncipleBone said:
cool, so this is the
LSD
episode, right?

FOX Renews 'Fringe' for Fourth Season - In Both Universes (Official Press Release)

FOX RENEWS “FRINGE” FOR FOURTH SEASON – IN BOTH UNIVERSES

FOX has renewed critically acclaimed thrilling drama FRINGE for a fourth season, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment for Fox Broadcasting Company.

“FRINGE has truly hit a creative stride and has distinguished itself as one of television’s most original programs. The series’ ingenious producers, amazingly talented cast and crew, as well as some of the most passionate and loyal fans on the planet, made this fourth-season pickup possible,” said Reilly. “When we moved the show to Fridays, we asked the fans to follow and they did. We’re thrilled to bring it back for another full season and keep it part of the FOX family.”

FRINGE co-creator and executive producer J.J. Abrams said, “We could not be happier that the fans of FRINGE (and our most excellent partners at FOX) have allowed us to continue telling stories from the fringe for another season!”

“This early pickup comes at a perfect time as we start production on the Season Three finale,” added FRINGE showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “We join the cast and crew in thanking our loyal fans and FOX for allowing us to have this much fun telling stories we love.”

Since moving to Fridays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) in January, FRINGE is averaging a 2.2/7 among Adults 18-49 and has established itself as Friday’s No. 1 series in the core adult demographic.

The compelling third season continues tonight, Friday, March 25 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), on FOX.

PhoncipleBone said:
It is nice to see many new faces in this thread to come celebrate the renewal news. I hope you all stick around.
I've been a Fringe fan since Day 1, a Fringe lover since "Safe," and Fringe-obsessed since Season 2. I've also lurked every Fringe thread, but had to break my veil to PARTY! I will certainly remain.

big ander

metsallica said:
I've been a Fringe fan since Day 1, a Fringe lover since "Safe," and Fringe-obsessed since Season 2. I've also lurked every Fringe thread, but had to break my veil to PARTY! I will certainly remain.
Please do, we need more people discussing it week to week.

mm04

Yeah, stick around for the chats post-episode. Sucks for me since I'm a West Coaster and I can't/won't participate in them until I've seen it. I miss back in the day when I used to get East Coast satellite feeds. Catching the X-Files at 6pm on Sundays my time was the best.

Edit:

You know what would be perfect for this thread now, a Milo animated gif from The Plateau with his how you like me now pose on the top of the bus. Anyone have that?

Solo

mm04 said:
You know what would be perfect for this thread now, a Milo animated gif from The Plateau with his how you like me now pose on the top of the bus. Anyone have that?

Its in this thread many pages back.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I am at work and I am marking OUT. This totally made my WEEK. MAN. MAN! Some of the best news ever right here!

Now - do I buy the Blu-Rays now or do I wait for the inevitable Uber Multi Pack sure to come out at the end of it all??

TheOMan said:
I am at work and I am marking OUT. This totally made my WEEK. MAN. MAN! Some of the best news ever right here!

Now - do I buy the Blu-Rays now or do I wait for the inevitable Uber Multi Pack sure to come out at the end of it all??
Why wait to support the show? Order it now. They are cheap on Amazon now, and you don't have to wait to enjoy rewatching the show.

big ander

TheOMan said:

Buy them now AND by whatever series boxset eventually comes out. That's what I did with Lost and I'm not the least bit embarrassed.
okay maybe I'm a little embarrassed, I should probably sell my DVDs of seasons 2, 3, and 5

Can't wait for
normal_FringeTitleRed1197.jpg
Normal_FringeTitleRed0249.jpg

tonight.

WillyFive

I will attempt to watch this live tonight to celebrate it's renewal.

Also, Fringe has some of the best intro transitions on TV. After a huge shock of a cold opening, the first few notes of the theme song makes it epic.

Also, that 70's version was excellently made.

Teh Hamburglar said:
And could someone explain the glyphs? I

Glyphs? Do you mean the symbols before each commercial break? They mean letters, and putting them together spells out something important for the next episode.

Mindlog

FOX RENEWS “FRINGE” FOR FOURTH SEASON – IN BOTH UNIVERSES said:
“This early pickup comes at a perfect time as we start production on the Season Three finale,”
That's a really key part to the whole deal. It highlights just how great this announcement really is. Thank you kind suit.

Now boarding in NY, NY. Heading to Dallas, NT via Colombus, IN.

Top Bottom