• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

big ander said:
They did, I don't know why people are being just a little bit stupid with these "well just go an blow it up now" comments. They specifically say in the episode when everyone's staring at the diagrams that trying to disassemble it now could be catastrophic.

PsychoRaven said:
Also come on people. If they just blew it up and were done with it that wouldn't make for great tv. If you look at all of tv nobody ever does the easy thing. Most shows would be 5 minutes if the easy thing was always done. Hell most movies would be 10 minutes if they did the easy thing. Not only that but man they'd be boring as hell.

Well, they obviously thought of the easy solution, but explained why it would be a bad idea.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
Well, they obviously thought of the easy solution, but explained why it would be a bad idea.

True they did. That's another thing I like about Fringe. Most shows don't even look at the easy way and just magically never come up with it. Fringe will come up with it and explain why they can't do it the easy way. However if Fringe much less any show could and did do the easy thing it would make for a really boring and short show.

HeySeuss

I was really hoping Fauxlivia would make it to our side. It'll be interesting to see how that is handled because somebody has to cross over to try to stop the machine. Maybe our Olivia will go over there.

Anybody else think that maybe Sam Weiss is the one who can stop the machine? He does look very similar to Peter and in the blueprints to the machine it could be easy to mistake the two. Probably not but just a thought.

Can't wait for the next two episodes.

PsychoRaven said:
Also come on people. If they just blew it up and were done with it that wouldn't make for great tv. If you look at all of tv nobody ever does the easy thing. Most shows would be 5 minutes if the easy thing was always done. Hell most movies would be 10 minutes if they did the easy thing. Not only that but man they'd be boring as hell.
Watch better TV

ivysaur12

Banned
OptimoPeach said:
Watch better TV

Creating a reason within the context of the show to not blow it up is not bad TV. The easiest solutions (i.e. launching it into space, firing every nuke we have at it) don't make for compelling television, especially if the series has been building towards the emotional impact of Walter letter Peter go. When the easiest solution gets in the way of the thematic element of the series (parent - child relationships), then yeah, use some line to acknowledge that you know that blowing it up is the easiest way and then quickly explaining why in the context of that universe that it's a horrible idea.

Nlroh

Shick Brithouse said:
Anybody else think that maybe Sam Weiss is the one who can stop the machine? He does look very similar to Peter and in the blueprints to the machine it could be easy to mistake the two. Probably not but just a thought.

Last season they told us in the anagram to stop trusting Sam Weiss.

bathala

Banned
i was bored
15fjeqa.gif

CrankyJay

Banned
So...when Fauxlivia had a gun pointed to that guy, did anyone else notice the alarm was triggered because he used his left hand instead of his right?

The panel underneath showed a hand print for the other hand. Awesome built in security measure. I feel Fauxlivia should have known about that.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Will probably be my first "live" episode since early season 1. Only caught up with the show recently.

Very excited for tonight's episode. Got a good feeling about this one.

And time for some speculation. DO NOT highlight this spoiler unless you really want to know something that was on a call sheet that leaked for the finale.
The character that is going to die is going to be one of the Olivias. This is just speculation, but the call sheet that leaked was for a location called "Olivia's Funeral" and it looked like Walternate was there. But so was an Olivia. It could just be a red herring, but based on that and Olivia's "Oh, that's the guy that is going to kill me. :)" thing, it might go there.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
PhoncipleBone said:
Very excited for tonight's episode. Got a good feeling about this one.

And time for some speculation. DO NOT highlight this spoiler unless you really want to know something that was on a call sheet that leaked for the finale.
The character that is going to die is going to be one of the Olivias. This is just speculation, but the call sheet that leaked was for a location called "Olivia's Funeral" and it looked like Walternate was there. But so was an Olivia. It could just be a red herring, but based on that and Olivia's "Oh, that's the guy that is going to kill me. :)" thing, it might go there.

I should not have highlighted that, even though that's been my personal theory as to what is going to happen in the finale. I've been thinking that they would
kill off our Olivia ever since they introduced Altlivia at the end of season two. She's just more interesting, she now has Peter's kid, and with Olivia's inner turmoil and personal arc seemingly wrapped up, she is just primed for a tv show death.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
What can I say, Solo? You (and big ander) were... *sigh* right. I stuck with it and fell in love. Thanks.

Likable characters, convincing dialogue, a rich thought provoking mythology, consistently well-executed callbacks... it's all there! The writers have handled these elements very well, stimulating both my heart and mind. Not an easy task, so I commend them. Couldn't be happier with the show's overall direction so far.

John Nobel's a beast, naturally. God bless that man. But Anna Torv got a hell of a lot more awesome out of nowhere. I can't even pinpoint when I started liking Olivia so much.

Damn, I had so much random stuff from earlier episodes to comment on, but it's escaped me now. Being lttp does kinda blow lol.

Catalix said:
What can I say, Solo? You (and big ander) were... *sigh* right. I stuck with it and fell in love. Thanks.

Likable characters, convincing dialogue, a rich thought provoking mythology, consistently well-executed callbacks... it's all there! The writers have handled these elements very well, stimulating both my heart and mind. Not an easy task, so I commend them. Couldn't be happier with the show's overall direction so far.

John Nobel's a beast, naturally. God bless that man. But Anna Torv got a hell of a lot more awesome out of nowhere. I can't even pinpoint when I started liking Olivia so much.

Damn, I had so much random stuff from earlier episodes to comment on, but it's escaped me now. Being lttp does kinda blow lol.
Do you think you will have the same zeal for Fringe that you had with Lost?

Solo

You know why we don't always see eye to eye, Catalix? Because you are a man of science. I am a man of faith.

Catalix said:
I can't even pinpoint when I started liking Olivia so much.

I liked her from day one, but I felt Torv got noticeably stronger from S2 onwards, and once she starting sporting those bangs in S3 as Fauxlivia, I fell in love. dat red wig also works wonderfully for her.

Catalix

The Big Rig said:
Do you think you will have the same zeal for Fringe that you had with Lost?
It's... different. Honestly, I don't think anything on network TV can top the deep-seated affection I had for LOST at the time.

But I appreciate Fringe on a different level. The more technical aspects of the show feel tighter, particularly when it comes to character dialogue from scene-to-scene, and overall mythological consistency and payoffs. I love how the writers are able to take seemingly innocuous things from earlier episodes and inject them with greater significance later on. I guess the "amber" is a great example. It's also incredible how they were able to effortlessly tie all 3 main characters directly into the mythology's main conflict in very meaningful ways. The fact that Walter's selfish abduction of Peter was the catalyst for a potentially universe-ending conflict? Brilliant.

The way Fringe delves so deeply into its pseudo-science just resonates with me. The writers never shy away from that aspect of the show, always providing intricate, creative, and internally plausible explanations for weird phenomena. And they hardly ever undermine my intelligence when exploring all these things. The characters are just as inquisitive as the audience about the crazy world they inhabit, and address issues in logical ways. It's pretty refreshing.

Solo said:
You know why we don't always see eye to eye, Catalix? Because you are a man of science. I am a man of faith.
I wish I had believed you ;_;

Solo

At least you returned to the Fringe family at the right time, Catalix. They had news of the S4 renewal before the S3 finale went into production, so we can except some epic as fuck with DAT CLIFFHANGER next week, methinks.

Catalix

Indeed, I really can't wait. Shit's hitting the fan, and there's so many possible directions for things to go from here.

Solo

gdt5016 said:
Oh god there better not be any fucking HINT of amnesia.

These guys aren't dummies. Im not worried about that. Being LOST alums has helped Pinkner and Wyman sidestep most of the pitfalls that show had.

Top Bottom