• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Bisnic said:
I wonder who from the Fringe Division is supposed to die in the last episode, if we are to believe what we heard?

Is that person going to die in 2021? Or maybe IF Peter goes back in time in 2011? And who might it be? They can't kill Peter, he doesn't even have an alternate version of him unlike Olivia or Walter. And Peter can't just disappear from all of season 4 episodes, that would be cruel! I love his character! And they can't kill our Walter too, he is too great! I guess that leaves Olivia to die and that FauxOlivia will join the other 2, since she seems to care enough about saving people from our universe.

Really curious to see who will die.

I think it's obvious that
first off didn't know someone was going to die. Thought these were spoiler tagged about tonight's episode for people who have yet to watch. Damnit! In any case. I would surmise based on FINRGE, and how similar in structure it has been to LOST/Alias no one will actually die. It will be a death taking place in the future, and will be Olivia,. Like Desmond to Charlie. Peter won't die, but he will bear witness.

Bisnic said:
I wonder who from the Fringe Division is supposed to die in the last episode, if we are to believe what we heard?

Is that person going to die in 2021? Or maybe IF Peter goes back in time in 2011? And who might it be? They can't kill Peter, he doesn't even have an alternate version of him unlike Olivia or Walter. And Peter can't just disappear from all of season 4 episodes, that would be cruel! I love his character! And they can't kill our Walter too, he is too great! I guess that leaves Olivia to die and that FauxOlivia will join the other 2, since she seems to care enough about saving people from our universe.

Really curious to see who will die.

Once again MAJOR SPOILER FROM CALL SHEET FOR FINALE. DONT HIGHLIGHT UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE
The call sheet calls for a location called "Olivia's Funeral" and it shows Walternate and Olivia both being filmed. And Olivia is running around with a vest on.

Also, the one thing that bugged me in the episode was that they showed the lightning storm in Holyoke, MA. Yet Broyles said it was happening outside of Worcester. That is a pretty big area of error there, as they are pretty far apart.

Solo

TripOpt55 said:
Imagine if that was the season ending cliffhanger. Would've been a rough wait.

That final reveal had season finale written all over it. Seeing the completed Trade Center was akin to seeing the Twin Towers on the other side in the S1 finale. That fact that it wasn't the finale but rather the penultimate episode makes me giddy.

TripOpt55 said:
Imagine if that was the season ending cliffhanger. Would've been a rough wait.
The fact that they are dropping a bomb this big on the episode BEFORE the finale must mean that they have a doozy for us next week.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds by Solo. (shakes fist in anger)

Oh, and welcome to the club, Catalix. Nice to see you over on our side.

TripOpt55

Solo said:
That final reveal had season finale written all over it. Seeing the completed Trade Center was akin to seeing the Twin Towers on the other side in the S1 finale. That fact that it wasn't the finale but rather the penultimate episode makes me giddy.
PhoncipleBone said:
The fact that they are dropping a bomb this big on the episode BEFORE the finale must mean that they have a doozy for us next week.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds by Solo. (shakes fist in anger)
Yeah, no doubt. It totally felt like a finale ending. Next week should be amazing. Next week's cliffhanger might be even crazier... who knows.

TripOpt55 said:
Yeah, no doubt. It totally felt like a finale ending. Next week should be amazing. Next week's cliffhanger might be even crazier... who knows.

I think I will change that MIGHT to a DEFINITELY WILL. They always end crazy, I expect nothing less this time. And that they did the mother of all mindfucks in this episode just makes me more giddy for next week.

gdt

Damn, that was great. The twist came out of nowhere. Can't wait to see what happens next.

And yeah, total LOST vibes in the climax. Awesome as always!

TripOpt55

PhoncipleBone said:
I think I will change that MIGHT to a DEFINITELY WILL. They always end crazy, I expect nothing less this time. And that they did the mother of all mindfucks in this episode just makes me more giddy for next week.
Yeah you are right. I can't wait to see how they top that. I was so not ready for that to happen.

Well, the time jump thing this episode answered a lil bit of the spoiler pic I posted a few pages ago. The pic that leaked was the "Dedicated to their memory" plaque. That got me thinking that we were going to get a time jump in the finale, but not in the second to last episode.

Dany

Banned
This was a great episode, just some crazy things happening right now.

Very interested in seeing how and if peter can save our universe and fix time

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Solo said:
What I gathered from the promo + my own thoughts:

Peter is now in a world in which he destroyed the alternate universe. Doing so has seemingly had adversely negative effects in our world. Walter looks crazy again, Peter and Olivia appear to be done with eachother, and somehow Walternate survived and is planning revenge.

It would be INCREDIBLY ballsy if this was the new canon, a 15 year time jump, but I think this is going to be an Its A Wonderful Life scenario for Peter, in which the potential future teaches him what to do in the past to prevent that future from happening.
A likely scenario, one I'd be down with.

PhoncipleBone said:
Oh, and welcome to the club, Catalix. Nice to see you over on our side.
Wild fruitless theorizing, I've missed this. Feels good man :)

Replicant

It would be interesting to see S4 begins with the 2 universes already merged into one so it'll deal with the fallout that occurs as a result of that. Of course they can go the other way by having both universes intact but then they introduce a new universe to deal with.

TripOpt55

I loved when they revealed Olivia was on that parchment in the box too. That was so damn cool. I got kind of caught up in talking about the ending in here, but I really loved that reveal as well.

Solo said:
I rewatched the S1 Finale yesterday and it gave me the same kind of goosebumps I got tonight. Oh man, next week is going to be crazy

TripOpt55 said:
I loved when they revealed Olivia was on that parchment in the box too. That was so damn cool. I got kind of caught up in talking about the ending in here, but I really loved that reveal as well.

I just love how
ALIAS it was.

Holy shit! I just got done watching and man it feels like the season finale. What the hell is going to happen next week?! AHHH! I seriously got a Terminator:SCC vibe from that final scene.

iNvidious01 said:
god damn it im glad this got renewed
Oh man.. if it was cancelled and THEN we saw this episode, I would have been super pissed off. It would have been like Sarah Connor Chronicles. How the hell can you end the series like that?!

squicken

God I love this show. It doesn't hold back on it's weirdness or sci-fi. Can't wait for next week

edit: http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-last-sam-weiss,55165/

In his review, he previews an interview with the showrunners with the quote “we see this as a show about characters, that happens to be science fiction”

Why say something so dumb? Lost trotted that crap out and look what happened there at the end smh nerd rage grrrrrr

ElRenoRaven

Big Papa Husker said:
Oh man.. if it was cancelled and THEN we saw this episode, I would have been super pissed off. It would have been like Sarah Connor Chronicles. How the hell can you end the series like that?!

Well it's Fox so they obviously can. However we somehow had hell freeze over and got a renewal. Sadly TSCC couldn't say that. I really hate how that show ended. I honestly believe that if a show such as these gets canned they should at least have the decency to give them a two hour episode or two to wrap them up.

PsychoRaven said:
Well it's Fox so they obviously can. However we somehow had hell freeze over and got a renewal. Sadly TSCC couldn't say that. I really hate how that show ended. I honestly believe that if a show such as these gets canned they should at least have the decency to give them a two hour episode or two to wrap them up.

Agreed. Thankfully Farscape was able to scrape together enough money to do a mini series to finish it all off.

Zoe

HenryGale said:
Thought these were spoiler tagged about tonight's episode for people who have yet to watch. Damnit!

The second something airs in Eastern, it's fair game. You should always assume spoiler tags are for something that hasn't happened yet.

Zoe said:
The second something airs in Eastern, it's fair game. You should always assume spoiler tags are for something that hasn't happened yet.
Exactly. But I would still spoiler tag stuff from the previews since some people consciously avoid the previews.

MrDenny

wow, i quickly changed the channel when the preview started and i saw walter begin to speak...
just the way he looked/spoke... fringe blackout until next friday.
during the whole episode i couldnt stop thinking of "dont trust sam weiss" haha.
next weeks finale going to be amazing!

exarkun

I just started the series, I'm in the middle of the first season. Olivia seems very...rough. A little too headstrong. The character is written well though, but I feel like she's burning the candle at both ends and its gonna catch up to her soon.

By middle I mean episode 9.

Does it get better? Its already pretty good.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
exarkun said:
I just started the series, I'm in the middle of the first season. Olivia seems very...rough. A little too headstrong. The character is written well though, but I feel like she's burning the candle at both ends and its gonna catch up to her soon.

Yes, the second half is way better than the first.

Dany

Banned
exarkun said:

Middle if season one, damn such a long time ago and yes. The show gets signficantly better in playing more into the mythology of the characters and the universe of everything. As you move foward it leans less away from monster of the week to actual serial drama, which i was hoping for.

Are they past the "olivia's dead boyfriend being seen from the dead"

It was a cool way to show a romance of a character, just simple flashbacks, memories from different angles and show how double sided her boyfriend was.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
exarkun said:

The first season is the weakest. And the first half of Season 1 is the worst.

So if you think the worst of Fringe is pretty good already, well... keep going. :D

Dany

Banned
Bisnic said:

So if you think the worst of Fringe is pretty good already, well... keep going. :D

I thought the first half was extremely original and was unique in laying down the framework of the show and characters but also the way it handled Olivia's relationship

Bisnic said:

que?
the first early episodes pretty much set the primer to where fringe is now.
imho, season 1 is still the best season

mm04

Damn, what an episode. The last 10 minutes or so were ridiculously good. Walter's speech about his faith in Olivia was awesome. Shit, I would've been inspired to try to do great things after that. You guys, especially Solo have already mirrored a lot of my thoughts. Especially that Olivia's powers are much stronger when in Peter's presence.

I'm so fucking jealous that I have to wait 3 hours to watch the episode and then read all of your thoughts as it happened in real time for you all. I refuse to watch live streaming though. Shit does make me laugh reading it because I feel like I'm nodding along with you, but 3 hours into the future, like Peter hah.

I don't even know what to think about next week's episode. That's some crazy shit, but I can't wait to see what happens. I mean, like others have said, this episode was like a season finale. Waiting just a week is going to be torturous. I have a feeling a lot of us are gonna feel like we've been blue-balled after next Friday, but we're gonna have to wait months for relief.

zychi

Banned
The preview annoys me because it's quite obvious that Peter
returns from the future from his whole "I've seen doomsday..." line

mm04

zychi said:

I'm with you on that. At the same time, that damn preview looked like a "Next season, on Fringe..." highlights preview! Not a hey, this is what's happening just in the next episode kind of thing.

jax (old)

Banned
Pretty great episode..
My mind was darting eft/right about what the last scene meant when it happened - fringe division was there but the world trade tower meant that it was our universe... but Fringe agents on our universe? Kind of loved his get up with the hiking gear and leather satchel (well strap anyhow). Thought it was kind of indiana jones for some reason.

I loled when after all he'd done to help, broyles was like
"Nuh Uh, you stay here" to sam weiss.

also

sort of loled at sam weiss' explaination about his family and how they'd followed up on the "secret". I'd preferred it almost if he was immortal or some weird shit like that

thought the flashbacks/quick cuts were very effective in communicating our time with these characters and that made me think again - as I've posted these last 3 episodes --- that they were writing to end the series because of the threat of cancellation.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
My thoughts up until the last two minutes of the episode: "This has been a damn good episode. Like, a really damn good episode."

And then: "Oh wow, he's finally going to climb into the machine. This is pretty dope."

And finally: "WHAT!!? FUCKING PETER CONNOR WHAT THE FUCK!?!? I-BZZZTT8026]\[./\2-046t *brain shortcircuits*"

As Peter was climbing into the machine I was reminded of that stuff Sam Weiss said about Peter's mind and emotions choosing which side survives. The concussion obviously scrambled his head and he was slowly getting his memory back when he climbed into the machine. When the machine did whatever it did, it must have scrambled the universes and the future we see is a mix of both because that's the state Peter's mind and emotions were in when he entered it.

As for the finale, I really have no idea what the fuck is going to happen. Will they stick with the time jump BSG style? Maybe. Will some device be introduced that pulls Peter back to present day? Maybe. Will vest wearing, loose hair Olivia look a lot hotter than our current Olivia? Most definitely.

Solo said:
It would be INCREDIBLY ballsy if this was the new canon, a 15 year time jump, but I think this is going to be an Its A Wonderful Life scenario for Peter, in which the potential future teaches him what to do in the past to prevent that future from happening.

I think I agree with this.
I was kind of reminded of what I had hoped Season 6 of Lost would be after watching the first episode of that season. I was hoping Smokey would get loose in the flash-sideways and those would be used to show us what was at stake and why it was important that the guys on the island kept him locked up there. Lost obviously went in a much more lame direction but I wouldn't be surprised if Fringe is trying something like that here.

Spire said:
My thoughts up until the last two minutes of the episode: "This has been a damn good episode. Like, a really damn good episode."

And then: "Oh wow, he's finally going to climb into the machine. This is pretty dope."

And finally: "WHAT!!? FUCKING PETER CONNOR WHAT THE FUCK!?!? I-BZZZTT8026]\[./\2-046t *brain shortcircuits*"

As Peter was climbing into the machine I was reminded of that stuff Sam Weiss said about Peter's mind and emotions choosing which side survives. The concussion obviously scrambled his head and he was slowly getting his memory back when he climbed into the machine. When the machine did whatever it did, it must have scrambled the universes and the future we see is a mix of both because that's the state Peter's mind and emotions were in when he entered it.

As for the finale, I really have no idea what the fuck is going to happen. Will they stick with the time jump BSG style? Maybe. Will some device be introduced that pulls Peter back to present day? Maybe. Will vest wearing, loose hair Olivia look a lot hotter than our current Olivia? Most definitely.

While I would love for them to stay in a jumbled combination universe, if that is what happened, it would be difficult. Do they keep it that far into the future? Do you want to have constant "old age" make up on the actors for an entire season? If it were some hybrid of maybe a year or two from now it would be totally fine, but over a decade is a hell of a jump.

Of course, doing a jump that big is REALLY ballsy and awesome. I want it for the craziness it brings, but not for the potentially crappy make up.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
PhoncipleBone said:
While I would love for them to stay in a jumbled combination universe, if that is what happened, it would be difficult. Do they keep it that far into the future? Do you want to have constant "old age" make up on the actors for an entire season? If it were some hybrid of maybe a year or two from now it would be totally fine, but over a decade is a hell of a jump.

Of course, doing a jump that big is REALLY ballsy and awesome. I want it for the craziness it brings, but not for the potentially crappy make up.

Yeah, I doubt they'll stick with it for an entire season unless they could find a way of doing it cheaply.

Spire said:
Yeah, I doubt they'll stick with it for an entire season unless they could find a way of doing it cheaply.

And alt verse would be easy to do cheaply. Doing the make up would not be cheap, and it would look like ass after a while.

I hope they do do a combo one though, but somehow get Peter back to present day.

Jarmel

Banned
zychi said:

Yep that's it. The question is where does the story go from here? So Peter jumps back and then what? Not activate the machine? Let's assume he does and destroys the other universe, then he has to prevent the doomsday scenario then? Or does he not and destroys OUR universe to save atleast one side.

Damn, the only other show that gave this much of a twist is TSCC. God Damn.

Top Bottom