• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

O'Quinn is more likely to show up on Persons of Interest or Alcatraz instead of Fringe in my opinion. And I feel like an Observer would be a waste of O'Qunn's talents.

ivysaur12

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Observer Prime!

My
best idea ever

Oh geez. Stop making my heart race.

PhoncipleBone said:
O'Quinn is more likely to show up on Persons of Interest or Alcatraz instead of Fringe in my opinion. And I feel like an Observer would be a waste of O'Qunn's talents.

I could see him on PoI, definitely.

PhoncipleBone said:

Why can't he do all three? The world needs as much Terry O'Quinn as possible.

Clevinger

I finished the finale. I think I'm missing something. Who the hell was that X-shirt guy that Olivia calmly said was going to kill her back in the last Bell episode?

exarkun

I just finished Immotality/ Episode 13, season 3.

Wow. Holy shit. This is just tragic for all three of them now. This show got real, REAL quick.

That scene in the hospital was hard to watch. Wow.

mm04

exarkun said:
I just finished Immotality/ Episode 13, season 3.

Wow. Holy shit. This is just tragic for all three of them now. This show got real, REAL quick.

That scene in the hospital was hard to watch. Wow.

You're in for a roller coaster ride to the finish, buddy. Just strap yourself in and enjoy it.

Just watched the season finale.

(I save them so my summer break is shorter)

:O

Fantastic episode.

I wish more networks did what 24 did for a season opener, and run 60 minutes straight with zero ads (brought to you by FORD). That would make an epic series finale. EPIC. The only thing that hurt the episode IMO were the commercial breaks.

Anyway, Im slowly reading through all the posts I missed (10+ pages) and LOL at the people who watched the preview. Must have ruined all the impact of the episode.

I've started rewatching from episode one. There's a little bit of retcon that happens, especially to the pilot, but it's neat watching an episode and connecting it to what you know happens later on.

ivysaur12

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I've started rewatching from episode one. There's a little bit of retcon that happens, especially to the pilot, but it's neat watching an episode and connecting it to what you know happens later on.

With a series like this, retconning is a bit inevitable. It is a bit bizarre to go back and watch the pilot and realize how many potential plot lines were dropped (like remember when Olivia locked up one of Broyles's buddies? No?)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just finished the finale, have been watching it on UK schedule.

Wow, what a mindfuck! Bit annoyed at the same time to be honest, mainly because of introducing
time-travel
into the mix. Always massive potential for screwing everything up, and I think show was doing fine without it. I think I would have preferred it if the events of the finale had been spaced out over a few episodes. Felt a bit robbed as well of the things leading up to it, such as people having suspicion of Waternate and the whole
destruction of the second Universe
. I guess this could have been to do with the whole uncertainty about another season, but for arcs that had been building for so long it felt too rushed and too big a jump to the next bit.

Glad it's been renewed though, and it does have new angles to go down now. Just hope the Peter issue is handled and and answered well. On a different note though, I can't see how anyone new can get into the show now. I've been wanting to get a couple of my friends into it, but they don't want to watch entire previous seasons to have an understanding of what's going on.

It's a shame in that sense that I don't think Fringe is going to ever get the fanbase it deserves, but credit to Fox for sticking with it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Anna Torv says that series finale has basically been written:

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/15/fringe-star-anna-torv-series-finale-written/

Dying to know how 'Fringe' will end? Star Anna Torv, who plays Agent Olivia Dunham, says the writers have it all planned.

In an interview with TV & Satellite Week, Torv admitted that the hit sci-fi show's last episode is already mapped out. "I've been told the ultimate final episode has been written," Torv said. "[The writers] know where they want us to go, but they don't know yet when we will get there."

The executive producers of 'Fringe' have hinted at a seven-year plan for the show, but given it's eternal "on the bubble" status, it makes sense that they'd want to be prepared, just in case.

But Torv said she wants to be kept in the dark, admitting she has no idea what they have in store. "Initially, I wanted to know ... now I'm happy not to. There's something great about working on a film or a play where you know where you're going, but on television it's more open and that's good, too."

Torv also admitted that, in the writers room, things "could still change," explaining that what's been decided is more of a skeleton for them to continue to flesh out.

"It's more of a dance between the audience, the creators and the cast about what works and what doesn't," she said. "It's nice that although the skeleton of what is going to happen is there, it's still a dance."

'Fringe' will return for a fourth season -- which, if fans have anything to say about it, won't be its last -- on Friday nights this fall (8PM ET on Fox).

EDIT: Joshua Jackson is presenting the Emmy Nominees. That is (usually) a very good sign. Fringe is the only other broadcast drama that might get nominated besides The Good Wife.

I just marathoned through all of Fringe over the last two weeks. Finally finished last night.

Dat finale... whaaaaa...

This show totally falls apart as soon as I attempt to think about the plot, but the show's quite a rollercoaster ride so long as I stopped myself from analyzing plot points too much.

big ander

TouchMyBox said:
I just marathoned through all of Fringe over the last two weeks. Finally finished last night.

Dat finale... whaaaaa...

This show totally falls apart as soon as I attempt to think about the plot, but the show's quite a rollercoaster ride so long as I stopped myself from analyzing plot points too much.
Plenty of the plot points wouldn't work in real life, sure, but the huge huge majority are consistent within the show and that's all that matters.

Meier

Been doing a bit of a marathon..the animation in episode 19 is so laughably bad. Honestly, what were they thinking? It's just plain embarrassing...

Meier said:
Been doing a bit of a marathon..the animation in episode 19 is so laughably bad. Honestly, what were they thinking? It's just plain embarrassing...

They had to go that way to finish of the Nimoy story, but did not have the money to do it right. I thought the stationary stuff looked great, but they really should not have had the animated characters involved in action sequences AT ALL

big ander

Emonga said:
Apparently, Noble just won a Critics' Choice Award booyah

Finally some awards recognition.
I thought the fact that it was supporting actor was interesting; I don't think of him as supporting at all. I think of Peter and Walter as dual leads, with people like Broyles as supporting.

Still, an award! Yay.

Walter is technically a supporting role, even if he is the main star in many people's eyes.

But I am glad to see him get recognition. Sadly, I think he will be overshadowed at the Emmy's by Peter Dinklage in "Game of Thrones." Dinklage was incredible in the show and deserves all the praise he gets, but Noble is overdue.

big ander said:
We have a premiere date people:

Friday, September 23rd

6UYaX.gif

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The biggest Retcon of the series is MAssive Dynamic. They are this huge, shadowy, vague corrupt corporation early on. Then, whoop, turns out they're the good guys. Also Broyles had a relationship with Nina Sharp, natch.

gdt

GDJustin said:
The biggest Retcon of the series is MAssive Dynamic. They are this huge, shadowy, vague corrupt corporation early on. Then, whoop, turns out they're the good guys. Also Broyles had a relationship with Nina Sharp, natch.

Yeah, MD as an evil organization is just so cliche, glad they dropped that.

And Broyles/Nina is just kinda...dumb. I guess they could've made it work though.

I still wouldn't call Massive Dynamic good exactly. I'm sure there is still a lot to learn about their shadier dealings.

And can you really call it retconning? The story hasn't been completed yet. Do all initial impressions have to be stuck to?

Broyles and Nina is just a dropped plot at this point, don't know if I even see any reason to pick it up again. That was a weird one.

dLMN8R

It's not like MD was exposed as a corrupt evil organization and that was later changed, we just didn't know much about them in the first place. Same with the Nina/Broyles relationship. Nothing has been "reconned", it's just developed in a different way than what you expected.

Raistlin

PhoncipleBone said:
Walter is technically a supporting role, even if he is the main star in many people's eyes.

But I am glad to see him get recognition. Sadly, I think he will be overshadowed at the Emmy's by Peter Dinklage in "Game of Thrones." Dinklage was incredible in the show and deserves all the praise he gets, but Noble is overdue.
yeah

Just finished the season 3 finale. Neat. I wish it had permanently tied up the alternate universe story though. I really, really loved season 1 and especially the monster of the week episodes. I've kept watching just because of how awesome season 1 was. I haven't liked the last two seasons as much at all. I'll stick with it though.

Article at Deadline about Emmys (including an awesome image I had not seen before. Where was this last year?)

Deadline said:
fringeseason3_20110624042842.jpg

Jeff Pinkner and Joel Wyman are more than just co-showrunners of the Fox science fiction hour Fringe. They’re also the gatekeepers of its genre-expanding premise that’s been described as a hybrid of The X-Files, Altered States, and The Twilight Zone. Despite being a critical darling through much of its first 3 seasons, however, the series has come up short with the TV Academy, generating only Emmy nominations in 2009 for special effects and 2010 for sound editing. Its stars Anna Torv and Josh Jackson remain otherwise unrecognized. The pair spoke with Deadline TV Contributor Ray Richmond about the show’s distinct sensibility and its third season:

DEADLINE: How was the decision made to introduce to Fringe the premise of having the action alternate between parallel universes this past season?
JEFF PINKNER: One of the things we’d said to our studio and network partners from the beginning is, this is very much a series that has to move forward and keep changing in order to be successful. It’s an unfolding story as opposed to a condition. It isn’t about a hospital where bodies come through or a police precinct with suspects. We knew early on that the series and saga involved two universes. But it was important
to let it unfold relatively slowly, to have it open up to characters and viewers over time as opposed to the middle of season one. Because we knew it was a pretty heady concept.
JOEL WYMAN: In Jurassic Park, by the time you see the dinosaurs, you already were introduced to the idea of a fly stuck in amber. The table is set long before to you get to that place of wonder, so when you finally reach it you’ve accepted it as being real. We felt that was important to establish for Fringe as well, to first set up the desires and intentions of the characters and let the wonder of this world unfold in front of them before going full-on to that alternate universe.

DEADLINE: It’s always a big risk to change up your creative game when you’re already an established show. You were asking the audience to in essence accept utterly different personas for the same character.
WYMAN: We’re thrilled with how our fans have responded to it. But we were careful at the same time not to abandon any of our main characters. At the same time, we thought that if we were going to ask people to invest in these doppelganger characters, we’d best do it full-out as well, so viewers got to know them and spent enough time understanding their dilemmas.

DEADLINE: But your ratings numbers did slip from Season 2 to Season 3, going from a 2.8 with adults 18-49 to a 2.2. Of course, Fox also moved from Thursday to Friday nights midway through the season, which may have had something to do with it.
PINKNER: The numbers were of course a concern. The network and studio need to make money in order to keep us on the air. We get that. At the same time, we’ve never tried to design stories just to appeal to a larger audience. And the kind of storytelling we’re doing isn’t going to appeal to everyone no matter what we do?

DEADLINE: What kind of storytelling is that?
PINKNER: Well, basically humanistic science fiction. What we’ve discovered is, not everyone likes licorice but the ones who do really, really like it. That’s how our fans are, too. They followed us from Thursday to Friday night without a lot of drop-off, both live and on DVR.
WYMAN: But we understand we’re fighting very hard against the science fiction moniker. There’s a group of people who just say, ‘We’re not interested in that.’ We’re trying to work in metaphors and deliver a little bit of a movie each week, as well as finding deeper thematic elements than network TV normally tries to tackle.

DEADLINE: But was there any point during the past season when you had legitimate reason to worry that Fox might not renew?
PINKNER: You know, maybe out of naïvete, we weren’t that concerned that this would be the end of the journey for us. We did have an ending in place just in case. But we’re very fortunate to have legitimate fans at the network and the studio who are really upfront with us. They knew the story we were telling this past season and celebrated how bold we were trying to be on network television.

DEADLINE: How much does it bother you to always see the cable dramas getting awards hype while most network series don't?
WYMAN: The truth is that we watch those shows, too. We find the work that’s going on in cable to be astounding. If the acclaim and promotion they’re getting makes us feel anything, it’s motivation to maybe pave some new ground for network television. And it’s tough to pull off. Network TV, in a lot of ways, doesn’t have the ability to tell the same kind of story as they do on cable. You’re fighting to draw in an audience whose life is often too busy to schedule any appoint TV. We’re just hoping that people say, ‘Hey, Fringe is doing something different and going deeper than network TV usually tries to go.’
PINKNER: If there’s any frustration at all, it’s that there’s clearly a different expectation when you try to tell a story over 22 episodes than when you’re doing 10, 11 or 13 episodes.

DEADLINE: And, again, there’s the whole stigma of the science fiction label that you consistently need to overcome.
WYMAN: And the frustration is that we feel like we’re so much more than science fiction. We’re doing things through the eye of Fringe that are altogether new. Rarely do you get to tell a story about a three-way love triangle where two of the three people are the same person, as we did this past season.

DEADLINE: In terms of next season, will you be keeping the parallel universes conceit going? And what’s going to become of Josh Jackson’s character Peter?
PINKNER: Well, Peter no longer exists. All we’ll say is that in Season 4, we’ll very much see the consequences of what happened in Seasons 1, 2 and 3. What happens to Peter remains a very big question. But a new chapter will unfold next season. As it does every year on this show.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/emmys-fringes-jeff-pinkner-joel-wyman/

Clevinger

DEADLINE: And, again, there’s the whole stigma of the science fiction label that you consistently need to overcome.
WYMAN: And the frustration is that we feel like we’re so much more than science fiction. We’re doing things through the eye of Fringe that are altogether new. Rarely do you get to tell a story about a three-way love triangle where two of the three people are the same person, as we did this past season.

That premise doesn't really seem "so much more than science fiction" or new, despite being neat for a network scifi show.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I can't believe this is premiering so soon!

Top Bottom