• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

ultron87 said:
Fantastic news. Hopefully it's mostly Over There Lincoln and not Hipster Our Lincoln.

Hey, Hipster Our Lincoln from Hartford, CT was great. It was nice to see such a different version of him. And I appreciated that he was from CT, so that sways my opinion.

maruchan said:
awesome i hope we get more blue of him... blue version was a lot less douchey then red version...

Red version was awesome. At first he was annoying, but as it went on he became more awesome. I loved seeing him and Charlie work together, and was sad we never saw them confront Walternate about figuring out something was wrong.

ivysaur12

Banned
First of all, forgot you were New England's Rising Star™, PB. I wish I could find pictures of that "Come to Hartford, I Swear it's Fun" billboard right now.

Ever since Judging Amy, there hasn't been nearly enough CT love on TV. Viva Blue Lincoln!

PhoncipleBone said:
notsureifserious.jpg

Love that he is a regular now. Now if they can just add Kirk Acevedo back as a regular.

Charlie's in a pilot that will probably get picked up (though, given my less than stellar intel so far, maybe you shouldn't listen to me).

So he might have to die. Again. And why is Nina still a regular? Make her recurring and slash her salary.

ivysaur12 said:
First of all, forgot you were New England's Rising Star™, PB. I wish I could find pictures of that "Come to Hartford, I Swear it's Fun" billboard right now.

Ever since Judging Amy, there hasn't been nearly enough CT love on TV. Viva Blue Lincoln!

More like: "Come to Hartford! Our streets suck and make no logical sense! And we were dumb for making I-84 and I-91 intersect in the middle of a major metropolitan area!"

Urgh. The only thing I hate about my job is having to drive through Hartford traffic everyday.

Charlie's in a pilot that will probably get picked up (though, given my less than stellar intel so far, maybe you shouldn't listen to me).

So he might have to die. Again. And why is Nina still a regular? Make her recurring and slash her salary.

I agree that Nina doesn't have to be a regular. I like her character, but she is more a side character. And I hope Acevedo gets a new shot, but I also want him back full time on Fringe. That is if there isn't too much bad blood about his getting killed in season 2.

And Astrid is a regular, right? If not, that is a crime.

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
More like: "Come to Hartford! Our streets suck and make no logical sense! And we were dumb for making I-84 and I-91 intersect in the middle of a major metropolitan area!"

Urgh. The only thing I hate about my job is having to drive through Hartford traffic everyday.

I agree that Nina doesn't have to be a regular. I like her character, but she is more a side character. And I hope Acevedo gets a new shot, but I also want him back full time on Fringe. That is if there isn't too much bad blood about his getting killed in season 2.

And Astrid is a regular, right? If not, that is a crime.

Astrid is a regular, though I hope she's given more to do next season.

ivysaur12 said:

I want to see more of her, but one of my favorite parts of the show is her relationship with Walter. It is so sweet and fun. I like that at least she called him a name other than Walter.

ultron87

ivysaur12 said:

Maybe her being an active agent in the future we saw is hinting that she'll get more involved beyond taking care of Walter next season.

CrankyJay

Banned
Heh I felt bad for her in the future when people were putting garbage on her desk. \

"Why does no one respect my space?"

"You're too nice."

=(

CrankyJay said:
Heh I felt bad for her in the future when people were putting garbage on her desk. \

"Why does no one respect my space?"

"You're too nice."

=(

There was a deleted scene of the coworkers commenting about missing agents. Astrid simply killed those who didn't respect her space and threw the bodies down wormholes. Workplace risks.

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
There was a deleted scene of the coworkers commenting about missing agents. Astrid simply killed those who didn't respect her space and threw the bodies down wormholes. Workplace risks.

I hear Hartford, CT is entirely ambered and the vortex started in Constitution Plaza.

ivysaur12 said:
I hear Hartford, CT is entirely ambered and the vortex started in Constitution Plaza.

As long as I can still get my dentist in Hartford, I am fine. But really, the streets in that city make no damn sense.

I would rather think that the vortex opened up in Waterbury.

PhoncipleBone I live in CT and your comments about Hartford are making me laugh right now. For those of you not in the know he is right about it all.

awilliams213 said:
PhoncipleBone I live in CT and your comments about Hartford are making me laugh right now. For those of you not in the know he is right about it all.
The way that 84 and 91 merge in Hartford, coupled with the "no access to this exit if you just came on the road" bullshit can only be explained by The Pattern. It all makes sense now. Why did it take me this long to figure it out?

There must be a tear in the universe in Hartford, since the laws of the traffic universe broke down a long time ago there.

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
As long as I can still get my dentist in Hartford, I am fine. But really, the streets in that city make no damn sense.

I would rather think that the vortex opened up in Waterbury.

Don't forget the heroin capital of America, Willimantic!

Even though it's set in Boston, I think Fringe has "been" to Connecticut maybe once for a case. My spec is set in Avon though. Or maybe I should have a vortex hit I-84 right at rush hour while trying to get into the city in the morning. No one could escape!

Then again, that's the only time it would actually do damage, cause it's not like people really live in Hartford...

mm04

Interesting inclusion as a regular for next season. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. I highly doubt it's just going to be Red Lincoln. They had to have introduced Blue Lincoln for a reason and now, Olivia will be for the most part, partner-less. Even though Peter was only a consultant, he was in for all intents and purposes, her partner in investigations. I'm betting Blue Lincoln fills that role for however long Peter is missing.

ultron87

mm04 said:
Interesting inclusion as a regular for next season. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. I highly doubt it's just going to be Red Lincoln. They had to have introduced Blue Lincoln for a reason and now, Olivia will be for the most part, partner-less. Even though Peter was only a consultant, he was in for all intents and purposes, her partner in investigations. I'm betting Blue Lincoln fills that role for however long Peter is missing.

And then Blue Lincoln falls in love with her. Then once Peter comes back 4 episodes in we'll have a nice big love polygon of 2 Olivias, 2 Lincolns, and a Peter. *shudder at the thought of this coming true*

ivysaur12

Banned
Hitflix interviews Pinker and Wyman

HitFix: It seemed notable that you ended the season with The Observers getting the last word, so to speak. This season there were a couple Observer-heavy episodes. How much is Season Four the Season of The Observer?

JHW: We're definitely going to expand on people's understanding of The Observers, for sure. That's a story that's now ready to be told and we'll definitely go there.

mm04

ultron87 said:
And then Blue Lincoln falls in love with her. Then once Peter comes back 4 episodes in we'll have a nice big love polygon of 2 Olivias, 2 Lincolns, and a Peter. *shudder at the thought of this coming true*

If that shit happens, I'll swear off the show. Please, no more introductions of possible love interests. Going with the assumption (and I'm sure well all hope for the best...) that next season is the last, there is simply not enough time left to sort through that kind of drama to a conclusion without it sidetracking the show.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I love Fringe but I consider its handling of some of the secondary characters to be one of the show's misfires. They have yet to carve out an actual role for Astrid (or the actress hasn't carved one out for herself). Or when they tried (red universe asperger's astrid) it was just terrible.

And Nina Sharp has been redundant ever since Walter took over MD.

Hopefully the promotion of Lincoln means we can get spiders-in-my-blood Charlie back full time, too. I consider them a package deal, at this point.

I say: Get rid of Nina (seems a perfect candidate for an early-mid season shocking death) and downsize Broyles to recurring, to make room for more Astrid, Charlie, and Lincoln.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DSN2K said:
I really do wonder how this show is still alive, budget must surely be high...

People are only judging Fringe's fate by the ratings, which are low.

So there is 2 reasons why it got renewed:

1) FOX themselves are big fans of Fringe

or

2) FOX have access to some hidden numbers we don't have.

Bisnic said:

I think this is pretty likely. Fringe is aimed at a demo that is gonna rely heavily on DVR, Hulu, iTunes etc. Though of course that might also mean it gets pirated more often than other shows.

mm04

Bisnic said:
People are only judging Fringe's fate by the ratings, which are low.

So there is 2 reasons why it got renewed:

1) FOX themselves are big fans of Fringe

or

Well, that and the only numbers the public sees are the National Overnight Ratings (Nielsen Boxes). There are other forms of measurement out there that aren't instantly tabulated.

brucewaynegretzky said:
I think this is pretty likely. Fringe is aimed at a demo that is gonna rely heavily on DVR, Hulu, iTunes etc. Though of course that might also mean it gets pirated more often than other shows.

DVR absolutely counts, in fact. When filling out a manual Neilsen booklet, you put in information for the show if it were DVRed (like the date of recording, time, etc) just like any shows watched live. ANYTHING you watch that way counts when filling one out, so the overnight numbers automatically grabbed from Neilsen boxes are going to be only a small piece of the information.

Chaplain

mm04 said:
Well, that and the only numbers the public sees are the National Overnight Ratings (Nielsen Boxes). There are other forms of measurement out there that aren't instantly tabulated.

I assume foreign markets account for Fox wanting to renew Fringe for another season. I believe that Lost was bigger in foreign markets than in the United States and that was one of the driving factors that the show kept going.

mm04

Game Analyst said:
I assume foreign markets account for Fox wanting to renew Fringe for another season. I believe that Lost was bigger in foreign markets than in the United States and that was one of the driving factors that the show kept going.

I'm not sure about the logistics for that, but John Noble in one of his recent interviews did happen to mention that Fringe does have a worldwide following and that matters.

RPGamer92

Banned
I personally think with the inclusion of Seth Gabel as a regular, that AU Lincoln might fall for Our Universe Olivia until Peter comes back.

mm04

PSFan said:
I personally think with the inclusion of Seth Gabel as a regular, that AU Lincoln might fall for Our Universe Olivia until Peter comes back.

I suppose that's possible, but I think it's more likely to be Alt-Livia since she seemed to be harboring some feelings for Peter and thus preventing her from being with anyone else. With no Peter and no Henry, there shouldn't be a road block. Unless you bring back Frank, which leads me to...

It's really going to depend on how exactly they handle Peter's non-existence. That's going to be the can of worms. Is it like removing a brick and then watching the pieces fall into place and things not fitting quite correctly and thus causing some gaps occur? I think that's likely and they'll end up investigating these missing pieces and find Peter that way. Or are we going to assume that the lack of Peter has more far reaching consequences, like Walter's Elizabeth never committing suicide, Alt-Livia still being with Frank, for example. I just really hope they don't screw this up. There's such potential for messing this up, that the more I think about it, the more it scares me.

Late edit:
I think they almost have to go with first scenario I mentioned, only because, if you diverge too much from our original storyline, then the Walter and Olivia of our universe are completely different people and if they are, why do I care? They have to be as close to the characters we've been following from day 1 or we as viewers lose all history and connection with them. I'd much rather see a scenario (Dr Who?) where once they discover that Peter existed, they remember his history in their lives. But that's just me.

Clevinger

OK, I finished the first season and it got pretty great towards the end. I especially liked all the early hints about the alternate universe.

Olivia's still about as interesting as a tree stump, though. I think it might be Anna Torv's American accent. It's just so dull.

Clevinger said:
OK, I finished the first season and it got pretty great towards the end. I especially liked all the early hints about the alternate universe.

Olivia's still about as interesting as a tree stump, though. I think it might be Anna Torv's American accent. It's just so dull.
Season 3 will change your opinion on Torv's acting.

I believe someone made a LTTP thread for the show. That should be pretty safe before you get to season 3. Welcome to the club.

way late to the topic, but that was an awesome finale. summer is too long.
The Big Rig said:
Wild speculation: Maybe Olivia's visions of Peter when she was on the other side weren't made up. Peter just pops in time like an Observer.
My first thought when the show was over was that Peter would be made an Observer.

Big Papa Husker said:
Just saw that Human Target was cancelled. Maybe that will lead to a alternate John Scott cameo next season...

With Mark Valley and Anna Torv being divorced now, I don't think that will happen. Not unless it was a very amicable split.

squicken

So Chuck is moving to Firday? I don't know what that timeslot will be, and I have never watched the show, but I hear it attracts the same people who like Fringe.

If Finge loses audience to a show that NBC has already said it is killing, that would suck.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Big Papa Husker said:
Just saw that Human Target was cancelled. Maybe that will lead to a alternate John Scott cameo next season...
Wow. This show has come so far since The Ghost Network. Not sure if the direction we got was the right course of action though.

mm04

squicken said:
So Chuck is moving to Firday? I don't know what that timeslot will be, and I have never watched the show, but I hear it attracts the same people who like Fringe.

If Finge loses audience to a show that NBC has already said it is killing, that would suck.

It's 8pm on NBC. Some new show called GRIMM is slated for 9pm. I'm assuming Fringe will stay at 9pm, so maybe Chuck would be a good lead-in for Fringe via NBC!

ElRenoRaven

mm04 said:
It's 8pm on NBC. Some new show called GRIMM is slated for 9pm. I'm assuming Fringe will stay at 9pm, so maybe Chuck would be a good lead-in for Fringe via NBC!

You know I've never understood what people see in Chuck. I've just never liked that show. It's not funny. It's not interesting. But to each their own I guess.

I also see that Fox announced their primetime schedule for the fall. Fringe is sticking to it's current time slot and day so while Fridays still suck at least they aren't moving it again. I really do see next season being their last though sadly. With the ratings slide since this last hiatus I just don't see Fox bringing it back. More so when you damn well know they'll have the same breaks next season. Those long breaks just hurt the show.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just been rewatching season 2 lately, and at the end of the 3rd episode, you see an Observer checking pictures of Walter while the bad guy of the episode say in the background "Whatever is in that case will destroy us".

Considering what happened at the end of season 3 and how it killed lots of people and doomed our world... i guess he was right. It was Walter's idea after all to bring the machine in New York and to use it there.

Top Bottom