• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

How does the single player campaign play in this? I´ve read that it´s 55 missions long, but is there any story, RPG elements and/or non-linearity?

CecilRousso said:
How does the single player campaign play in this? I´ve read that it´s 55 missions long, but is there any story, RPG elements and/or non-linearity?
There is a story being told through dialog box conversations and dossiers, filled with what I assume is the backstory. I stopped paying attention at around level 3. There are no RPG or branching elements. The only difference from the other modes is a special unit called Devastator.

CecilRousso said:

Linear, but very entertaining and perfectly balanced in increasing difficulty as well as variety. You're in the market, this is definitely a contender.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Pylon, Did you make a move in our game past 4? I had a prompt saying there was a new move, but upon entering the game I found it a lie. Neither of my other two games have had new moves since I last played either so there might be some trickery going on... <.<

I single player news; I am seriously horrible at collecting the keys and bringing them to the edges of the screen (mission 7~ish?). I even managed to accidentally suicide my sniper who held two keys...

No wonder the army didn't want to conscript me. ;_;

I think that may be some server issues because I just entered a game where there was an outcome but I never primed or got to move my units, luckily that rocket didn't make it into the spawn room. This game is amazing.

Edit - And by amazing I mean amazing. The dept is so fucking insane! Also you know at first when I heard of this game I thought "Isn't this that one game from Introversion?" which is called Subversion.

any advice if me and an opponent are just standing next to each other in the middle with rocket launcher guys only and no cover to blow up near by? This is my first multiplayer game and I only just realized I could blow up cover by ducking or else this game would have been over long ago

Jintor said:
This seems more combat-focused, I think Subversion is more about espionage
Ah ok, thanks for the heads up.

And blah blah, is there still half structures around? Because I just learned you can blow those up if your crouched.

InfectedZero said:
And blah blah, is there still half structures around? Because I just learned you can blow those up if your crouched.

Well the game froze and when I restarted I got the win? It was my 2 guys to his 1. So I'm not sure what happened but it does keep freezing on me occasionally. It was already the 8th move so all the structures in the middle had been blown up and we raced there since apparently neither of us knew what to do from there D:. I had no idea about the crouching until the 7th move. That would have helped a ton had I figured that out sooner.

Brobzoid said:
Pylon, Did you make a move in our game past 4? I had a prompt saying there was a new move, but upon entering the game I found it a lie. Neither of my other two games have had new moves since I last played either so there might be some trickery going on... <.<

I single player news; I am seriously horrible at collecting the keys and bringing them to the edges of the screen (mission 7~ish?). I even managed to accidentally suicide my sniper who held two keys...

No wonder the army didn't want to conscript me. ;_;

Brob, yeah, just logged in and submitted my turn! Very tense. The scariest enemy is an unseen enemy! The server error I got last time seemed only to have not uploaded my turn last time, so hopefully it'll be fine from here on in.

Looking forward to more fun 'n' guns.

Brobzoid

ay, I was able to load your turn this time. I'm assuming the server issues are giving false positives at the games screen. Earlier in the updates they said that record loss was potentially mac specific so maybe this is too, or at least that the mac version is more prone to derp or something. whatevs - Won't stop me from coming for that ass!

Daigoro

Flunkie said:
Could anyone imagine this shizz on iPad? Drool.

i was thinking the same thing. this game would be absolute crack on an iPad or smartphones. seems like it would work well on a touch screen, and portability would be nuts.

fuck
i wish my PC was not fucking up right now. (and/or i could get this game working at my job :p)

Brobzoid

LEVEL 2! VICTORY DANCE TIME!

02285.gif

Munin

Can someone clarify something for me. Something I am not sure about is how the winner of an actual shootout is determined. For example, is there always a rock-paper-scissors constellation between 2 guys and the winner depends on advantages like aim, stance, etc, when it comes to who shoots first? And is there an element of randomness at all i.e. the bullets not hitting?

Munin said:
Can someone clarify something for me. Something I am not sure about is how the winner of an actual shootout is determined. For example, is there always a rock-paper-scissors constellation between 2 guys and the winner depends on advantages like aim, stance, etc, when it comes to who shoots first? And is there an element of randomness at all i.e. the bullets not hitting?
It's never random. Factors like aim, stance, cover, distance and movement determine who'll win.

I have never seen an "outcome" vary I think sometimes the amount of rounds fired before someone dies may change? But I am uncertain even about that.

Munin

archnemesis said:
It's never random. Factors like aim, stance, cover, distance and movement determine who'll win.

Ok, so how do I know which wins over what ? Was not really covered in the tutorial. Sometimes I test situations and I am confused for what reasons the enemy would fire before I do.

Shotguns are generally superior at short distances.
Static shooters will fire first.
Moving targets are more difficult to hit.
Cover will give you an advantage.
Aiming directly at an enemy will save you time lost by turning.

I haven't noticed if duck/stand matters yet.

Aon

Nab's eliminated me 2-0 from the tournament, he said he'll post the games up soon.

I'm gonna be back with a vengeance for GAF 2.0 though.

NIN90

archnemesis said:

But sometimes it just seems random. I had several firefights yesterday were I thought should have won.

Sectus

Munin said:
I think the basics are like this: standing still > moving while aiming > moving

In case of a draw then the unit crouching wins, and if it's still a draw, then I think the unit with the most cover wins, and if it's still a draw... then I have absolutely no idea.

NIN90 said:
But sometimes it just seems random. I had several firefights yesterday were I thought should have won.
Can you mention specific examples? Someone could look into the replay and hopefully explain why a certain unit won a firefight.

NIN90

Sectus said:
Can you mention specific examples? Someone could look into the replay and hopefully explain why a certain unit won a firefight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgUvXcOatEY

At around 0:28

His MG (moving into cover) killed my MG (in cover) despite my guy being there first.
In hindsight, maybbe it was because my guy adjusted his aim slightly.
Still, having to adjust your aim that little shouldn't void the advantages of standing still and catching the opponent moving into cover (though I'm not 100% if this was the case here) .

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So its really taking me a while to get used to the long ranges across which your regular guys can shoot. My instinct is to play it like a stealth game, trying to get around the enemy and in close range without being seen.

KPJZKC

NIN90 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgUvXcOatEY

At around 0:28

His MG (moving into cover) killed my MG (in cover) despite my guy being there first.
In hindsight, maybbe it was because my guy adjusted his aim slightly.
Still, having to adjust your aim that little shouldn't void the advantages of standing still and catching the opponent moving into cover (though I'm not 100% if this was the case here) .

Aha, that was a good game! But I can explain that - when a unit crouches/stands up, they incur a penalty to their aim...my MG has just about stopped moving behind cover when yours stood up, and you were left with (I think) a penalty to aim for 0.5 seconds after standing. Hence the pew pew and your guy dying!

NIN90

KPJZKC said:
Aha, that was a good game! But I can explain that - when a unit crouches/stands up, they incur a penalty to their aim...my MG has just about stopped moving behind cover when yours stood up, and you were left with (I think) a penalty to aim for 0.5 seconds after standing. Hence the pew pew and your guy dying!

Oh shit just now I realized that my guy was crouching. That's probably why he died.

trillbo

I'm in work and I just can't stop thinking about this game. Contemplating installing Steam on my work pc just to get my fix!

Moobabe

Sometimes this game... :p

Lost my first match to Cramen - revenge of the grenade launcher.

Edit

I won the second! I'll upload them both shortly if it doesn't crash my game.

I got pretty lucky in that first game, but in the second I misjudged where your opening grenade shot would go, and then which way your bottom mg would come into that room. Not sure why I walked my last guy around the corner, but that's that. Good games both times.

Moobabe

chicken_ramen said:
I got pretty lucky in that first game, but in the second I misjudged where your opening grenade shot would go, and then which way your bottom mg would come into that room. Not sure why I walked my last guy around the corner, but that's that. Good games both times.

Yeah sometimes I do the dumbest shit in this game - I don't take nearly enough time to plan my moves.

Edit - Cramen can you upload the matches? It crashes my game when the upload is complete :S

Munin

OK this shit about "who shoots first" is getting really frustrating. I just simulated an outcome, my unit won, I committed the round, enemy unit won despite doing EXACTLY what I simulated. What?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Munin said:
OK this shit about "who shoots first" is getting really frustrating. I just simulated an outcome, my unit won, I committed the round, enemy unit won despite doing EXACTLY what I simulated. What?

Make a video, some people here should be able to explain it by now.

Sectus

I lost my part of the tourney. I'll get to recording and uploading the videos (4 matches in total since our third was a draw). The matches were much more different than I'm used to. Not a whole lot of action, but when things started going crazy it ended just about right away.

You can only buy a 2 game pack? I want to get in, but I can't find any "single player pack" in Steam.

Edit: Sorry, I see now that is not a 2-games pack. Is that the game gives you a free copy for a friend, not a special 2 or 4 player pack like in some games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
DangerousDave said:
You can only buy a 2 game pack? I want to get in, but I can't find any "single player pack" in Steam.

Edit: Sorry, I see now that is not a 2-games pack. Is that the game gives you a free copy for a friend, not a special 2 or 4 player pack like in some games.

Yup, I see it as a 2-pack, though. *shrug*

Ask here in the thread whether someone wants to join in on your copy if you are interested.

Volodja

DangerousDave said:

If you haven't already bought it I could try and give you my gift copy though Steam, but the only other time I tried to do it didn't work and I still have an extra L4D2 floating in my account so I don't know.

Just finished setting up an account.

Game name is Griegous. Feel free to add me.

Also, does the server selection matter for anything but stats tracking? Sorry if it has been asked before.

Top Bottom