• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

I'm still really liking the game. I ran into an annoying bug yesterday though, where two of my guys just permanently vanished midway through the match. And I've run into a few frustrating bugs/ambiguities with the scoring on the objective-based gametypes.

Nothing gamebreaking, but it's a bit disappointing since the rest of the gameplay is so solid... I could see some new players being turned away if lose too many games due to unclear rules.

Still a lot of fun -- I've lost way too many hours of sleep this week to watching duplicates of my friend's and my matches. That is a ridiculously cool feature, and it makes me wish a lot more games were structured in a way that could take advantage of that.

rohlfinator said:
I'm still really liking the game. I ran into an annoying bug yesterday though, where two of my guys just permanently vanished midway through the match. And I've run into a few frustrating bugs/ambiguities with the scoring on the objective-based gametypes.
What kind of match were you playing? 'cause I was very surprised when one of my men disappeared when I was playing one of those games where you have to recover the flashing "squares". In the following turn I realized he disappeared because he was on the edge of the map, where the exit zone is.

Versipellis said:
What kind of match were you playing? 'cause I was very surprised when one of my men disappeared when I was playing one of those games where you have to recover the flashing "squares". In the following turn I realized he disappeared because he was on the edge of the map, where the exit zone is.
Ha, now that you mention it, I think that's exactly what happened.

I've played that gametype a few times before in campaign/multiplayer, and I could have sworn you could safely walk to the exit zone with a guy as long as he wasn't carrying a square.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm really interested but I think I'm going to hold off for the summer steam sale. No idea if it will be there, but it doesn't hurt to wait.

rohlfinator said:
Ha, now that you mention it, I think that's exactly what happened.

I've played that gametype a few times before in campaign/multiplayer, and I could have sworn you could safely walk to the exit zone with a guy as long as he wasn't carrying a square.
I think they can walk over it, but if they stop on it at the end of the turn they're out, even if they don't carry a square (and that's what happened to me).

I'm going away for a week and feel like I'll be completely left behind by the community in terms of skill. While it's a much more static game than something like StarCraft, you can see the playerbase improving and adapting quite a bit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
snoopeasystreet said:
I'm going away for a week and feel like I'll be completely left behind by the community in terms of skill. While it's a much more static game than something like StarCraft, you can see the playerbase improving and adapting quite a bit.

True, the community definitely improved. Its especially noticable with people you were playing with already before. I still get to see the occasional dude who doesnt know he needs to duck to hit a cover with a rocket launcher, though.
God, i love this game and I finally made it into the top 100. I'm coming OldGamer, just you wait!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
i'm playing a couple of matches every day. and i think this won't change in the near future. i LOVE this game! i played around 200 matches in the last three weeks and i'm still learning :p

i think this will be besides portal 2 in my most awesome games of the year list!

i got three of my friends to buy this game after showing it to them...so, more matches for me...

Toma said:
God, i love this game and I finally made it into the top 100.
wow! So I'm guessing you play a tonne. I only play like a match a day.

Seeing as you're playing at a pretty high level, have you developed opening moves for each map/layout or do you just play decide your opening moves on the fly? It seems like a game that would stand to benefit from the former and I'm sure that's where we'll eventually end up but at the moment, I feel like myself and those I play against seem far more spontaneous with our opening moves.

snoopeasystreet said:
I dunno, I'm still seeing a pretty steady influx of new players (or new to multiplayer, anyway), so it's not getting too overwhelming. Maybe it's just my server though (Texas 4)... it seems like a lot of people have moved to the more populous servers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
snoopeasystreet said:
wow! So I'm guessing you play a tonne. I only play like a match a day.

Seeing as you're playing at a pretty high level, have you developed opening moves for each map/layout or do you just play decide your opening moves on the fly? It seems like a game that would stand to benefit from the former and I'm sure that's where we'll eventually end up but at the moment, I feel like myself and those I play against seem far more spontaneous with our opening moves.

I'm only playing 2-3 matches a day actually and the competition got a LOT stronger, I must say. My win/loss ratio was basically 60/40 in the last few days. (i was really lucky a few times)

And I dont think there are a certain set of opening moves you can rely on because it always depends on what units the enemy has. On the same map, 4vs4, 3vs3 and all the combinations of soldiers would lead to different opening moves for me.

Additionally, I dont think you will ever have these "perfect" opening moves because the minute I knew these would get common in the community I'd find a way to make the most damage in that situation. I guess the most dangerous situation you can get yourself into is when the enemy knows exactly what your next move will look like. (which is also the best hint I could give to anyone. Make the best possible guess which moves your enemy might consider and try to counter the most probable ones)

n0b

I don't want to win by default but I sent a turn for the game and Kzaph has not returned his in a few days now.

Toma

n0b said:
I don't want to win by default but I sent a turn for the game and Kzaph has not returned his in a few days now.

I'll write him a PM now. If he doesnt respond until tomorrow you'll get the win.

InfectedZero said:
I cant record the second match because it records it then crashes my game. I was able to get the first match though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCnvsmLGlnA

I'll upload it.

Edit: Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Y-CbHHOMQ

Added it to the tourney post.

KPJZKC

Responded, had stuff going on for a few days, n0b and I appear to be different timezones, hopefully it won't be too long!

n0b

KPJZKC said:
Responded, had stuff going on for a few days, n0b and I appear to be different timezones, hopefully it won't be too long!

Yeah we seem to be running exactly opposite times. Finally got the last turn in, and won it at the last possible moment. Will upload the replay soon.

Toma

I wasnt playing for a few days because of other stuff to do, went back to it and fell in love with it again.

Had some really nice matches today. I cant believe how perfect this game... just works. I really hope it gets a steam sale during the summer sale so that we'll find a few more players and can start up the next tourney then. I dont think there are too many left that still check this thread =p

Moobabe

The soundtrack is up on steam and the FS website. I'm trying to grab it through steam but it won't let me buy it. I NEED IT!

Toma

Moobabe said:
The soundtrack is up on steam and the FS website. I'm trying to grab it through steam but it won't let me buy it. I NEED IT!

What does it include? How many tracks and how long are they? Does anyone know?

1-D_FTW

I'm definitely picking it up during the summer sale. Didn't really know what I was looking at when it was initially released, but after watching the Rock Paper Shotgun videos, I finally saw its greatness.

Toma said:
What does it include? How many tracks and how long are they? Does anyone know?
I got it from the developer's website, but I'd assume the Steam version is the same.

It's 11 tracks, 57 minutes in total. It's all the same tracks that are in the game, so no surprises, but I'm plenty satisfied because the in-game music is so good.

Xater

I also got the game now and it's really really good. I have not had this much fun with a tactics game in a while. The story is pretty much nonsense but the gameplay is fun as hell. I also tried myself at a couple of multiplayer matches and that works also really well. This game should have way more love here on GAF. The PC master race disappoints me.

Toma

Xater said:
I also got the game now and it's really really good. I have not had this much fun with a tactics game in a while. The story is pretty much nonsense but the gameplay is fun as hell. I also tried myself at a couple of multiplayer matches and that works also really well. This game should have way more love here on GAF. The PC master race disappoints me.

I am also quite disappointed not more people picked it up. We need to spread the love during a sale. Changing the thread title during a sale and keeping the thread alive would help wonders. And from what I've read it doesnt sell too hot in general as well. There are like 11.000 people in the rankings. Only 11.000 people bought this game while 450.000 bought Terraria? Dont get me wrong I liked Terraria very much, but FS definitely definitely deserves more love.

I think it's purely down to the price point. I'm sure the numbers would be at least doubled this they let you buy one copy for half price as opposed to being roped into buying 2 copies. For my it's too much to pay for a game when I'm unsure if it will run on my ancient machine.

Toma

Spirit of Jazz said:
I think it's purely down to the price point. I'm sure the numbers would be at least doubled this they let you buy one copy for half price as opposed to being roped into buying 2 copies. For my it's too much to pay for a game when I'm unsure if it will run on my ancient machine.

True, that is a bit unfortunate.

Did you already buy it? Or are you still on the fence? Because otherwise I'd vote for starting a list of people who still want the game and are waiting for someone to share. Makes it easier to contact someone in GAF via PM whether they are still interested to find someone for buying the game.

Toma said:
True, that is a bit unfortunate.

Did you already buy it? Or are you still on the fence? Because otherwise I'd vote for starting a list of people who still want the game and are waiting for someone to share. Makes it easier to contact someone in GAF via PM whether they are still interested to find someone for buying the game.

I'll take the plunge when it goes on offer, that way if it's still for the 2 pack I'll still be able to share it with somebody on GAF. It's just the lack of T&L or Shaders above 2.0 on my shitty integrated chip set make me a little worried given the unspecific specs.

Nabs

Toma said:
I am also quite disappointed not more people picked it up. We need to spread the love during a sale. Changing the thread title during a sale and keeping the thread alive would help wonders. And from what I've read it doesnt sell too hot in general as well. There are like 11.000 people in the rankings. Only 11.000 people bought this game while 450.000 bought Terraria? Dont get me wrong I liked Terraria very much, but FS definitely definitely deserves more love.

11,000 is a pretty decent number. I just hope they decide to sell a solo copy for $10 down the line, that might help push some people over.

Toma

Nabs said:
11,000 is a pretty decent number. I just hope they decide to sell a solo copy for $10 down the line, that might help push some people over.

Of course its "decent", especially for an Indie game. But since this is probably the best multiplayer strategy game all year, I still think it deserves way more, but youre all right, the pricing doesnt do it any favors.

I dunno, I think it's totally worth the asking price, even for a single copy. The campaign is quite lengthy for a multiplayer-focused indie game, and the procedurally generated maps give it arguably a lot more staying power in multiplayer than your average game.

I think the lack of a demo is what's hurting it the most. It's a unique gameplay concept that's hard to get across in screenshots, and the trailers are cool and action-y but also fail to really communicate the gameplay. A demo with the tutorial and the first few campaign missions (plus maybe a limited version of the AI skirmish mode) would have helped a lot, I think. I have friends who would probably be really into this game, but it's hard to drop 20 bucks on something with no real feeling of how it plays.

I just picked this game up and am looking for some people to play against.

Server: Texas

Username: Gouglas

I look forward to getting owned by the lot of you.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nabs said:
Yeah, that was a bizarre decision. Anything under $10 is basically an impulse buy.

Toma

Since the number of players is thrown around, I was having a closer look at the server leaderboards. It seems that the server stats werent that well added to each other. On UK 2, I found 11500 people and on UK 1 13000.

However on the original server, there are 27500 players, so its actually way more than I thought at first, but it still might be a bit more. No idea whether thats representative, but I guess we'll figure the complete number out as soon as all the servers are folded into one.

Xater

How does the friend system work in this game? I would like to be added by a few GAFers but I don't know if it is server specific. I play on UK1 and my name in Frozen Synapse is also Xater. I still suck but I am just looking for fun matches.

Toma

Xater said:
How does the friend system work in this game? I would like to be added by a few GAFers but I don't know if it is server specific. I play on UK1 and my name in Frozen Synapse is also Xater. I still suck but I am just looking for fun matches.

Yup, friends list is server specific. There should be a server coming up today for 5000 (all) players, so that we dont have the hassle of server specific stuff anymore. But I'll add you on UK1 in a minute since I am also playing on UK1 most of the time right now :)

Xater

Toma said:
Yup, friends list is server specific. There should be a server coming up today for 5000 (all) players, so that we dont have the hassle of server specific stuff anymore. But I'll add you on UK1 in a minute since I am also playing on UK1 most of the time right now :)

Server for all players sounds good. Since this turn based latency doesn't really matter anyway.

Toma

Xater said:
Server for all players sounds good. Since this turn based latency doesn't really matter anyway.

Well, the problem wasnt about latency. They had one single server at the beginning but you simply werent able to connect to the server when there was too much traffic. Its not so much an issue about latency, but an issue about whether to play at all ;)

n0b

InfectedZero said:
Finally made my move nob, just been busy with work. I wont delay any further :D

I was gone all day anyway, so I was only just now able to respond. Sorry, but I also won it with my turn. :U

Top Bottom