• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Testserver is up, which we should "hammer" to test the capacity. From the 5000 it should be able to hold, there are right now... 3 online! Oh boy, that server surely is being tested.

edit: and its down again due to some bugs.

And I managed to beat "Bin" for the achievement because he doesnt have much to do on this server right now :p

Slermy

Toma said:
Testserver is up, which we should "hammer" to test the capacity. From the 5000 it should be able to hold, there are right now... 3 online! Oh boy, that server surely is being tested.

edit: and its down again due to some bugs.

And I managed to beat "Bin" for the achievement because he doesnt have much to do on this server right now :p

What server is he on? How do you play him?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Slermy said:
What server is he on? How do you play him?

Today he was on UK1, he might still be.

Toma

Slermy said:

And I forgot to mention: just invite him.

Actually, there were many players who invited him into custom matches with 20 MG's against only his sniper. They mentioned it in the blog at some point. I'd still say, give the guy a fair chance, even though you want the achievement ;)

Toma

n0b said:
How does the final work? Still 2 out of 3? I sent a game invite to cramen for the first match.

Yup, same as before. Good luck to both of you!

LProtag

Man, I'm really tempted to buy this, though the fact that it's 25 dollars for two copies is somewhat turning me off as I dunno if I can find someone to split it with.

Also I'm worried it'll go on sale whenever this next Steam sale starts, haha.

Toma

InsertNameHere said:
Man, I'm really tempted to buy this, though the fact that it's 25 dollars for two copies is somewhat turning me off as I dunno if I can find someone to split it with.

Also I'm worried it'll go on sale whenever this next Steam sale starts, haha.

I'd wait for the sale as well (even though this game is totally worth the 12$ if you can split it with someone. During the sale, you'll also find more people to share it with.

I already got about 80 hours out of this game. Its craaaaaazy addictive, ask away if you got any other questions.

Dutfish

Just got this today and I'm loving it so far. Still finding my feet but managed to win a couple of games online. User is Dutfish, on UK1 just now but I don't mind moving around if there are some games on the go. I assume it's easy enough to change servers.

Yeah they let you choose your sever each time you log in. Hopefully it'll all be just the one server again very soon.

Also, n0b I just realized you were challenging me for the final games in the competition. Sorry about that. I would have sent a challenge straight after the last one. I'd forgot that was even still on. :p I've been on a bit of a break waiting for the server merge.

edit: being challenged out of the blue was a good way to draw me back into the game. I really don't mind being challenged offline like that, cramen is my username and I'm usually on UK1.

You got boned on the layout of the second map more than anything else I think. Good game.

Personally, I love grenades. They're harder to predict and the splash damage is easier to use than rockets.

Toma

chicken_ramen said:
game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHFt9gbXx2I
game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewJ-QeYTnE

Let's do this again at some point. It was a lot of fun.

Congrats. Well played!
There were definitely quite a few interesting matches throughout the tournament.

I'd say we wait for a new tournament until FS is on a steam sale or something, because right now there are probably about 4 people checking this thread regularly =P
But I'd be totally up for another one.

I'll update the tourney table (for the records) when I get to it. Need to do some other stuff at the moment.

Toma

Just for the record: Frozen Synapse in on sale for 33% during the summer sale.

Maybe it'll get cheaper during a daily deal, though.

Had a dream last night where someone on GAF PMed me his Frozen Synapse matches for no reason.

And yeah, wait for a further sale, I can see this getting 50% - 66% off in a daily.

Toma

snoopeasystreet said:
Had a dream last night where someone on GAF PMed me his Frozen Synapse matches for no reason.

And yeah, wait for a further sale, I can see this getting 50% - 66% off in a daily.

I really hope so. If not, I'll make a thread 2 days before the end of the steam sale to convince a few people to buy it at 33%.

Toma

AEREC said:
ditto...waiting for a daily deal.

You all know that the price is for 2 copies, right? Meaning 8,38$ each at the moment.

Not to say that you shouldnt wait for a daily, but believe us when we say that this game is definitely worth 8,38$ in case it doesnt get a daily.

Nabs

Toma said:
You all know that the price is for 2 copies, right? Meaning 8,38$ each.

Not to say, you shouldnt wait for a daily, but believe us when we say that this game is definitely worth 8,38$ in case it doesnt get a daily.

Yep.

Toma said:
You all know that the price is for 2 copies, right? Meaning 8,38$ each at the moment.

Not to say that you shouldnt wait for a daily, but believe us when we say that this game is definitely worth 8,38$ in case it doesnt get a daily.
Except I'm in europe where we have to pay 1.5x as much for almost everything.

AEREC

Toma said:

I did not realize that but Ill still wait for a daily...just in case.

Toma

TheNamelessOne said:
Except I'm in europe where we have to pay 1.5x as much for almost everything.

I am too, and 7,70€ for each copy still is very reasonable for how much play time you'll get out of this game. I have played it for 90 hours now and only now it begins to slow down for me. I'd say I got my money's worth.

Edit: Not to mention you could arrange something with an american Gaffer for getting it for the american price. 2 people can get in on these packs anyway, so just make an american Gaffer the one to host.

AEREC said:
I did not realize that but Ill still wait for a daily...just in case.

Yeah of course. I am not saying anything different :) In case you'll forget I'll make a thread about it at the end of the sales to remind you all, as soon as its clear that it wont get a daily.

Just saying, even if it doesnt get a daily, its still very much a must buy.

Broseybrose

I FINALLY bought this game. Sale was just the icing on the cake. $13 on STEAM (2 copies!) is a steal. I already played the first few missions of the campaign and I can tell that this is the kind of game I was hoping for. I think the coolest thing about this game, is its the first 'simultaneous turn based multiplayer game Ive ever heard of, much less played. And it is a FINE entry into the genre, if there are others.

This game is going to be timeless, i hope. Just like Counterstrike.

jodosutari

Neo Member
DrBo42 said:
Bought it today after hearing how awesome it is, loving it. So glad I made the plunge.
This. Although the good impressions weren't enough for me, once I heard the soundtrack and found out the Steam Soundtrack Edition includes it as flac/wav I bought it in 5 seconds. Only played the tutorial and it was interesting. I'll try this tonight with more time, but it's already worth it.

Volodja

Owned the game since launch but only played my first 2 multiplayer games just now.
Managed to kill one of the enemy guys in the first with a decent movement of a shotgun-dude after the rest of my squad was gone but got absolutely destroyed in the second.

If someone wants a punching bag, I'm on UK1 and my name in game is the same as here.

RustyO

Had my first couple of games against a fellow GAFfer who brought it for me.

This looks like it could be a lot of fun...

Going to have to spend a bit of time playing the campaign to get up to speed...

On UK1... user name is RustyO

Vlodril

Very happy with my purchase thanks gaf for the recommendation. Very addictive game i can tell even though i have only done the first 3 missions and 1 mp game.

What i would like to know is there a way i can spectate a friends match?

Nishastra

Banned
I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's been a while since I lost really badly in the campaign. Haven't done multiplayer yet :p

I'm on the 11th mission now. Reminds me of the first mission. Three shotgunners against four snipers...

Toma

Nishastra said:
I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's been a while since I lost really badly in the campaign. Haven't done multiplayer yet :p

I'm on the 11th mission now. Reminds me of the first mission. Three shotgunners against four snipers...

Snipers are harmless on their own.

ShaneB

Very happy I picked this up during the Steam sale. Played a few missions, realized it's going to take some time to understand what the heck is really going on and to learn the ins and outs, but I love the style and how sleek it all is. Already at work spending my time thinking about sitting down with it again and learning.

Enco

After much contemplation I've decided to flip a coin on whether or not to pick this up.

edit: Well it worked. I was willing it to land on the side of purchasing it so hopefully I don't regret it :p

Toma

So, everyone feel free to add me on UK1:

TomaLexi

Feel free to start up a match if you like. I'd be more than willing to comply.

Wow. I'm terrible at this game, but I love it too much to stop playing! Bought it last week and played multiplayer with a friend for a few hours. I was definitely not expecting such an amazing soundtrack, so I went back and bought the soundtrack edition. Good times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, posted it in the Steam sale thread but here we are: They throw you in the deep end in the first mission by having moving enemies. Kinda sucks to think you take them out in the pre-end turn playback and they suddenly move, pop around the corner and take you out. :( Guess I have to be slightly more careful.

Boken

Banned
From the multiplayer videos I've seen, rockets seem to break multiplayer (makes games too short, makes them a bit more random) I hope there are modes without them...

Top Bottom