• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

n8BitMan said:
Fatty: The music files are in the game's file.
Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > frozen synapse

Or, if you're on a Mac like me:
<user>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/frozen synapse

fin

Code:
Tournament, Dark Extermination, We'll start after the Steam Summer Sale 
[B]ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.[/B]

([URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29087678&postcount=950"]the first 20 are left out because its getting too long, click to see[/URL])
21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu

Just got this game today. I'm down for after the steam sale.

With cover, remember that it's based on relative distance to the cover between you and the enemy. The same goes for visibility for people ducked behind cover. You don't need to be pressed up against it. To check sight lines you can hold CTRL-V and you'll get a dashed line to your cursor. It changes when it would be negatively affected by cover, so you can use this to check whether an enemy would be shooting as if you were in cover.

Code:

([URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29087678&postcount=950"]the first 20 are left out because its getting too long, click to see[/URL])
21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen

Just in case I get lost in the new page.

hey everyone, if you want a cheap copy of frozen synapse, pm me. i'm looking for somebody to gift me beat hazard complete in exchange for my second copy, all my steam friends already have this game. or if this is the wrong thread to ask this, please direct me :)

edit: gone

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes the AI in this game really impresses me. At other times, not so much. :/

6dRXp.jpg

Code:

21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen
33. Moosetwik

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
What a brilliantly fun game.

Just got done playing against my brother and it was so much fun and nerve racking.
I stuffed up once when I forgot to have my guy ignore the enemy below him and ended up getting him killed when he stopped to engage but other than that most deaths were from being outsmarted.

We ended in a draw. ;)

It's about as perfect as I can ask for from a game.

cackhyena

So, I'm wondering something. I played mission 3 in SP and got everyone out a live. No casualties on my team, either. I couldn't get to one bad guy in time, but that was it. The score I got was...1. Is that right? Also, for some reason, no matter how many times I cleared my guys commands, I couldn't get them to walk fast. They were all moving so slowly to where i wanted them to go. Is this normal?

Nishastra

Banned
cackhyena said:
So, I'm wondering something. I played mission 3 in SP and got everyone out a live. No casualties on my team, either. I couldn't get to one bad guy in time, but that was it. The score I got was...1.
I have to say, I don't understand the scoring system at all, especially in singleplayer.

I know I also got 1 point on some mission, but I got silver on it. Also I know I got bronze once with 50 points.

Kalnos

Banned
Just had a pretty sweet comeback victory. I lost my assault rifle to a rocket like .3 seconds in, my second rifle right after that because I was being a retard, and then I come back with some rockets on cover because I knew where he was hiding. Dark extermination is awesome.
KuGsj.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cackhyena said:
They were all moving so slowly to where i wanted them to go. Is this normal?

Lose focus/clear aim/stand, IIRC. I'm not sure if Duck allows movement but if it doesn't, that probably slows you down.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAR. Backspace, backspace, backspace. Whatever the keyboard shortcuts for clearing aim and focus is. EVERY. TURN.

You have to micromanage if you want to use them effectively.

Kalnos

Banned
TheSeks said:
Lose focus/clear aim/stand, IIRC. I'm not sure if Duck allows movement but if it doesn't, that probably slows you down.

You can move while ducking to sneak behind things, but it slows you down pretty heavily.

Code:

21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen
33. Moosetwik
34. archnemesis
Oh, this should be fun.

Salsa

is the server down or something?

"connecting to the server" is taking forever, and a minute ago it got stuck when sending a turn..

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Kalnos said:
Just had a pretty sweet comeback victory. I lost my assault rifle to a rocket like .3 seconds in, my second rifle right after that because I was being a retard, and then I come back with some rockets on cover because I knew where he was hiding. Dark extermination is awesome.
KuGsj.gif

Nice going.

I'm curious as to why they spawn all over the map instead of in their own corner? I've only played the one game (extermination). Is that just how that mode works?

Instro

SalsaShark said:
is the server down or something?

"connecting to the server" is taking forever, and a minute ago it got stuck when sending a turn..
I think they are doing updates and maintenance on the servers so its acting a bit funny.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Code:

21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen
33. Moosetwik
34. archnemesis
35. vcassano

Code:

21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen
33. Moosetwik
34. archnemesis
35. vcassano
36. mr_appleby

i'm ready to die

CzarTim

Sometimes I don't understand why my guys die when I feel like I have the advantage. I am still new, so I know I haven't quite gotten my tactics down yet, but there are times when I'm positive I'll have the advantage (standing still, behind cover, aiming the right way) but I still die.

TheSeks said:
Ah, I figured that but wasn't sure.
In any case: I'll just leave this here for new players like me.
Actually, this should help a lot.

Kalnos said:
KuGsj.gif
This was awesome. Love watching matches on this game.

Enco

How to you generate singleplayer matches that aren't extermination?

edit: And what's the difference between dark and non dark modes?

CzarTim

Enco said:
edit: And what's the difference between dark and non dark modes?
"Light" and "dark" define what the players can see:

Light: Both players can always see each others units. This puts more
focus on "mindreading", since both players have the same info.

Dark: Each player can only see what his/her units can see at a given
moment. This puts more focus on gathering information & stealth.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Des0lar said:
Don't see a reason why?

Because they dont want to. As far as I know they want every match ranked so that the leaderboards stay populated.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
jediyoshi said:
Wish there was the ability to scrub through steps rather than having to rewind them right to the begining

What do you mean? You can drag and drop the orders of your units to change them without going back to square one.

And for the record:

TomaLexi
UK1

Add me if you want and challenge me anytime :)

Kalnos

Banned
Andiie said:
I'm curious as to why they spawn all over the map instead of in their own corner? I've only played the one game (extermination). Is that just how that mode works?

Late answer, but there are two kinds of spawns that can happen in extermination. Either the corner spawns like you said, or the 'situation' spawns like the one I had in that game.

Wrekt

The main menu of Frozen Synapse freezes my computer after a few seconds. Once I get in a game, I can play for hours but there is something on the menu that messes me up.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had a sort of funny match online last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aba6mprBV7E

This against the AI was pretty smooth as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xY8E4v3P8w

Code:

21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen
33. Moosetwik
34. archnemesis
35. vcassano
36. mr_appleby
37. Label

jediyoshi said:
Wish there was the ability to scrub through steps rather than having to rewind them right to the begining

Replay options are very limited and I hope they enhance them sooner or later. Watching replays is very fun, but not as well implemented as it should be.

Toma

If me make it to 64 people for the tournament we'll make groups similar to the World Cup before elimination mode. Just warning :p

gogogo more people ;)

CzarTim

chicken_ramen said:
With cover, remember that it's based on relative distance to the cover between you and the enemy. The same goes for visibility for people ducked behind cover. You don't need to be pressed up against it. To check sight lines you can hold CTRL-V and you'll get a dashed line to your cursor. It changes when it would be negatively affected by cover, so you can use this to check whether an enemy would be shooting as if you were in cover.

Just in case I get lost in the new page.
Dude, I just realized you were my first multiplayer random match. You kicked my ass.

Toma

CzarTim said:
Dude, I just realized you were my first multiplayer random match. You kicked my ass.

Well, he won the first GAF tournament for a reason :p

Morphis

TheExecutive said:
Why the hell do grenade launching dudes always shoot immediately even if there is no one around? Its odd.
You mean when you give them an 'aim' order? The Grenade Launchers work differently from Machine Gunners and Shotgunners, in that their weapon isn't a direct one. So the 'aim' order works differently as well.

While MGs and Shotties will only fire if there's an enemy to fire upon in their indicated PoV, the GL will always fire exactly in the indicated direction. Allows you to try to tactically place grenades, even without seeing your oppontents. Rocket Launchers work the same way.

Toma

Won a couple of games online and when I tried to upload them to youtube they froze the game. Anyway, I am getting a little cocky so I will join the tournament.

Code:

21. Broseybrose
22. Codeblue
23. SpiritOfJazz
24. Morphis
25. Dutfish
26. Kunu
27. -Mikey-
28. Eiskaltnz
29. ShaneB
30. corto
31. Finjitzu
32. cramen