• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Code:
Tournament, Dark Extermination, We'll start after the Steam Summer Sale 
[B]ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.[/B]

(getting too long, shortened:
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29087678&postcount=950"]01-20, click to see[/URL]
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29104060&postcount=1049"]21 to 35, click to see[/URL])
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive

Quoted and shortened for the new page.

mik

mik is unbeatable
You ain't kidding. I love the game, but I think I'd love it even more if there were a "puss mode."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
mik said:
You ain't kidding. I love the game, but I think I'd love it even more if there were a "puss mode."

The light modes are sort of the "puss modes" :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Code:

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29087678&postcount=950"]01-20, click to see[/URL]
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29104060&postcount=1049"]21 to 35, click to see[/URL])
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf

I'll have to learn it first, but who cares! I'm in!

Anyone still interested in splitting the cost on this awesome game? I'll buy, you paypal me. Or vice versa. $8.37 would be the amount. PM me if you're interested.

DevelopmentArrested was nice enough to split his copy with me yesterday, so my half of this would be going out to one of my friends. If I'm buying, I'll have to gift you the whole thing (both copies), and provide my friend's Steam name for you to give the second copy to.

I think that's the easiest way for me to do it.

EDIT: All set. Thanks, Naxx!

cackhyena

TheSeks said:
Lose focus/clear aim/stand, IIRC. I'm not sure if Duck allows movement but if it doesn't, that probably slows you down.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAR. Backspace, backspace, backspace. Whatever the keyboard shortcuts for clearing aim and focus is. EVERY. TURN.

You have to micromanage if you want to use them effectively.
So that's the thing. I was backspacing like a fiend on all guys. I don't know what it was. I was hitting every option. Maybe the mission just called for them to take it slowly? I dunno.

Inkwell

Banned
Is there any in-depth tutorial or general strategy guide for this? I've just finished the third mission and I feel like I'm just scraping by. I understand the general idea of the game, but sometimes I feel like things don't play out how they should. For example, sometimes either my guys or the enemies shoot nearly instantaneously at each other and get a kill. Then there's times where my guy stands there like an idiot for a second or two before pulling off a shot. Then there was a situation where I had a character constantly get shot through a wall when testing out my move, even though it looked like they should have been fully concealed. It was a regular wall, not a chest high one.

Lets say I have a squad member hiding behind a corner, just waiting for an enemy to either move around the corner or walk by, and they both have shotguns. If the enemy plans ahead and is going to aim around the corner, who wins?

Conceptor

Bufbaf said:
Code:

36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor

me me me!!

Toma

Inkwell said:
Lets say I have a squad member hiding behind a corner, just waiting for an enemy to either move around the corner or walk by, and they both have shotguns. If the enemy plans ahead and is going to aim around the corner, who wins?

Basic rules in order of importance:

Cover > no cover (walls dont count as cover)
Stationary > Aiming while walking > aimless walking

You need to adjust these to which units you are using of course. Even if your Shotgun is in cover, he wont be able to kill an MG miles away.

In your case: Your S. was stationary and would have killed the other Shotgunner.

Soktos

Conceptor said:
Originally Posted by Bufbaf:
Code:
ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.

01-20, click to see
21 to 35, click to see)
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos

Super excited. Loving this game!

Manik

Code:

01-20, click to see
21 to 35, click to see)
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos
42. Manik

Looking forward to it!

Inkwell

Banned
Toma said:
Basic rules in order of importance:

Cover > no cover (walls dont count as cover)
Stationary > Aiming while walking > aimless walking

You need to adjust these to which units you are using of course. Even if your Shotgun is in cover, he wont be able to kill an MG miles away.

In your case: Your S. was stationary and would have killed the other Shotgunner.
Thanks, that's helpful. Does having one of your squad members crouch make them harder to hit, or give them better aim?

Toma

Inkwell said:
Thanks, that's helpful. Does having one of your squad members crouch make them harder to hit, or give them better aim?

Nope, crouching is only for visibility reasons, so that you cant be hit and seen behind low cover.

You actually get a slight disadvantage the moment you get to crouch or stand up.

Code:

01-20, click to see
21 to 35, click to see)
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos
42. Manik
43. _illmatic_

Edit: Left some folks out. Sorry Soktos and Manik!

Kalnos

Banned
Inkwell said:

The only use I have found for crouch outside of sneaking around is that if you fire a rocket while crouched you will hit cover instead of the rocket flying over. Also, I have been able to fire grenades over cover while crouched and hiding behind it.

Soktos

_illmatic_ said:
Code:

01-20, click to see
21 to 35, click to see)
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos
42. Manik
43. _illmatic_

I'm down. Been playing everyday since I bought it on steam.

You forgot a couple of us. Fixed. ;)

Codeblue

So I was totally rocking this dude, then he evened it up, then we hit turn 8. Draws blow.

Seems like you could just tuck your last guy away in some corner and be set to avoid a loss.

Palmer_v1

_illmatic_ said:
Code:

01-20, click to see
21 to 35, click to see)
36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos
42. Manik
43. _illmatic_
44. Tygell
[/QUOTE]

I'm in.

Kalnos

Banned
Codeblue said:
So I was totally rocking this dude, then he evened it up, then we hit turn 8. Draws blow.

Seems like you could just tuck your last guy away in some corner and be set to avoid a loss.

It depends. You only get a draw if you both have the same amount of units left. So if he hides his last unit and you still have two then you will win automatically.

Palmer_v1

Codeblue said:

I sort of wish whoever lost their unit first would lose, instead of going to a draw. Draws aren't even tracked as far as I know. It's not like I'm 32-8-4.

Edit: For those who haven't tried it yet, Dark Charge is an awesome game mode. The bidding method to decide who attacks or defends is really fun, plus the asymmetric units make it more unique than extermination.

Toma

Kalnos said:
It depends. You only get a draw if you both have the same amount of units left. So if he hides his last unit and you still have two then you will win automatically.

On top of that, hiding in one corner makes you very vulnerable. My last opponent did that. As soon as I know where he is hiding I'll know of a way to dispose of him if I still got 2 units.

Palmer_v1 said:
I sort of wish whoever lost their unit first would lose, instead of going to a draw. Draws aren't even tracked as far as I know. It's not like I'm 32-8-4.

Draws are counted as win for both.

Palmer_v1

Toma said:
Draws are counted as win for both.

I didn't realize that. Seems even more bizarre to do it that way and inflate people's win-loss ratio. It's what I tend to base someone's actual skill on, rather than the rank.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, the second mission absolutely screws you with the one AI friend being useless and three of your units having no good away to approach the four red enemies. :/

I've got a question about priority. Who wins if two soldiers are aiming at the same time? The guy who has the opponent closer to the centre of his line of sight?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Code:

36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos
42. Manik
43. _illmatic_
44. Tygell
45. n8BitMan

I'm going to lose in this thing, and I'm going to like it.

cackhyena

Spirit of Jazz said:
I've got a question about priority. Who wins if two soldiers are aiming at the same time? The guy who has the opponent closer to the centre of his line of sight?
I think it might be a crap shoot at that point. I love the encounters where I'm half a map away, and near the end of the turn, the enemy and my guy are firing on each other wildly. Then as the turn ends and the screen pauses, you see that both bullets are going to hit each guy perfectly dead center. Last shot for each. I laugh at the ensuing splats on the next rounds start.

Nishastra

Banned
Man, I just can't beat the 12th campaign mission. Rocket guy on the other side of the map continually shooting at anything he can see that I might be near, laser tripmines everywhere, and an easily-defended area I have to get into by the end of the 10th turn. Nothing resembling an open area unless the rocket guy's been at it for a while.

The enemies don't seem to comprehend the tripmines, but somehow that never saves me :p

Can't really play defensively because your cover is always blowing up and you've got a turn limit to get across the map alive.

Seems like I just need to get lucky with the generation so I can actually get to the rocket guy in the first few turns.

Toma

cackhyena said:
I haven't played an multi yet. Can you set games to have no rockets? That would be boss.

Yes you can!

cackhyena said:
I think it might be a crap shoot at that point. I love the encounters where I'm half a map away, and near the end of the turn, the enemy and my guy are firing on each other wildly. Then as the turn ends and the screen pauses, you see that both bullets are going to hit each guy perfectly dead center. Last shot for each. I laugh at the ensuing splats on the next rounds start.

Yeah, it doesnt matter how far you are from the center of the view.

Toma

cackhyena said:
This makes me happy.

You could also set games to 10 vs 10 soldiers, if you so fancy.

I did an 8vs8 once. Nice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, I always seem to scrape by with one machine gunner left alive at the end. Stupid peeking through windows and not hitting dudes at the extreme edge of their vision. >:|

InertiaXr

Codeblue said:
It told me you don't exist. Perhaps you should consider existing.

Oh, that guy definitely exists. He continues to make me feel terrible by beating me in FS over and over. It is very real to me.

Instro

Man this game is great. Done a few online matches, not doing too bad so far. I'll add myself to the tourney list. Oh and if anyone wants to play some matches my name in game is the same as my GAF name, Instro, so add me.

Code:

36. mr_appleby
37. Label
38. TheExecutive
39. bufbaf
40. Conceptor
41. Soktos
42. Manik
43. _illmatic_
44. Tygell
45. n8BitMan
46. Instro

Top Bottom