• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ultimoo said:
I should be playing Secure, it gets you so many more points. D:

Yup, just make sure not to lose :p

Morokh said:
Can someone point me towards some guides / tutorials for this game, because I have a hard time getting the hang of it.

I'm a big fan of turn by turn strategy games in general but the fact that the two players turn are resolved at the same time really is a disturbing factor for me in this game xD

I dont have the time right now (maybe someone else has?), but maybe I'll write up a few gameplay hints in the coming days if no one else tries to gather together all the stuff mentioned so far.
There should also be quite a lot useful hints in this thread. I know its getting kinda long, but its there if you want to search for it.

Wrekt

Omi said:
9/10 times I login to the master server the game will bluescreen my pc... frustrating as hell. Anyone with any ideas before I attempt to diagnose myself.
I had this problem as well.

Changing the video configuration to full screen seems to have fixed it.

Ferrio

Banned
So, are people finding it more advantageous to camp than move around? Unless there's rockets flying everywhere, I seem to get gunned down if I try to move around the map.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ferrio said:
So, are people finding it more advantageous to camp than move around? Unless there's rockets flying everywhere, I seem to get gunned down if I try to move around the map.

Not "camping" per se, but strategically securing. If I know, that you are around the corner, I wont move in your direction. However, you can (and should if you want to win) slowly secure area after area until you think you got enough area covered to whip the asses of your opponent. Also, people who are ONLY camping, right from the start, will lose as you can outmaneuvre them easily.

Neki

Ferrio said:
remember that you can ignore enemies and run to walls/cover, and if they're boxes, run to them and immediately crouch.

CaptainAhab said:
Code:
Tournament, Dark Extermination, We'll start after the Steam Summer Sale 
ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.

(getting too long, shortened:
01-55, click to see)
67. TheConfidenceMan

Started a new page.

Clunker

Thread title should be "spending 30 minutes on five seconds of play." :p I'm really enjoying this a lot, and got my first real multiplayer victory just now! It's amazingly satisfying when you recon, figure out what your opponent is trying to do, and then ambush him as he tries to ambush you.

Here's my win. Integrating YouTube into this is a brilliant idea (even if it's not working right for me and I had to manually upload the .ogv).

CzarTim

Clunker said:
Thread title should be "spending 30 minutes on five seconds of play." :p I'm really enjoying this a lot, and got my first real multiplayer victory just now! It's amazingly satisfying when you recon, figure out what your opponent is trying to do, and then ambush him as he tries to ambush you.

Here's my win. Integrating YouTube into this is a brilliant idea (even if it's not working right for me and I had to manually upload the .ogv).
That was very well played.

Toma

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ferrio said:

I can't even get my people to aim at the other person at times despite setting them to aim and sitting at a window that has a long hallway. Someone gets in the vision cone and they don't even fire. I don't get it. CTRL+V doesn't show me vision lines or anything like that.

Toma

TheSeks said:
I can't even get my people to aim at the other person at times despite setting them to aim and sitting at a window that has a long hallway. Someone gets in the vision cone and they don't even fire. I don't get it. CTRL+V doesn't show me vision lines or anything like that.

Give us the replay and we can try to figure out why. :)

Atrophis said:
Bloody shottie in turn 5 :( Damn you Toma.

I was really lucky that you didnt expected me to do that. Otherwise I wouldnt have been able to escape your shotty.

Atrophis

Toma said:

I was really lucky that you didnt expected me to do that. Otherwise I wouldnt have been able to escape your shotty.

I thought i'd be able to get you coming out of that room. Forgot you could just duck behind the cover XD

Toma

If you want to peek who you are up against, I am updating the tournament groups in the google doc. More info to follow.

There are still a few missing, those who came last, will be put into one of the other groups, making them 5 people fighting for the 2 top spots. I am randomizing that in a few moments.

Kalnos

Banned
So W/L/D ---> 3/0/1 points respectively.. World Cup style? Also, thank you for putting in n0b's group (who won the last one?), ass!
KuGsj.gif

Hanzou

Toma said:
If you want to peek who you are up against, I am updating the tournament groups in the google doc. More info to follow.

There are still a few missing, those who came last, will be put into one of the other groups, making them 5 people fighting for the 2 top spots. I am randomizing that in a few moments.
I actually used a different name when I made my account so if you could change "hanzou" to "Gerhalt" that would be awesome!

Neki

01-55, click to see)
67. TheConfidenceMan
68. Ultimo

sure sure. D:

Toma

Hanzou said:
I actually used a different name when I made my account so if you could change "hanzou" to "Gerhalt" that would be awesome!

Replaced.

Kalnos said:
So W/L/D ---> 3/0/1 points respectively.. World Cup style? Also, thank you for putting in n0b's group (who won the last one?), ass!

Exactly, World Cup style. And Chicken_ramen aka Cramen won the first tourney, so bad luck for those 3 :

Anilusion
Volodja
darksagus

:p

fresquito said:
I would sign in, but I can't play until next week :-/

When? If you can play from next monday on, I am fine with it. Should take a bit longer anyway.

BigAT

Adding myself if it's not too late, even though I'm sure I will get destroyed! It should be a fun destruction though.

01-55, click to see)
67. TheConfidenceMan
68. Ultimo
69. BigAT

Kalnos

Banned
Toma said:
Exactly, World Cup style. And Chicken_ramen aka Cramen won the first tourney, so bad luck for those 3 :

Anilusion
Volodja
darksagus

Ah! Oh well, I'm feelin' pretty good anyway. Sitting at 37-13 right now and have a bunch of unfinished games I'm going to pull out. As long as I don't get MG/SG only games I should enjoy it (Hint: I like explosives).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Toma said:

Posted one a page back. AI got me lucky on the third part of that mission again due to a lucky rocket shot. In-game Youtube uploading isn't too good. Froze my game on upload.

Walshicus

Tried to give this game a chance today but the interface really doesn't do it any favours. Completely unintuitive design. The premise is sound, I guess but at every point I felt I was fighting against the system just to get basic commands done.

fresquito

Toma said:
When? If you can play from next monday on, I am fine with it. Should take a bit longer anyway.
Then count me in ^_^

01-55, click to see)

68. Ultimo
69. BigAT
70. fresquito

Sir Fragula said:
Tried to give this game a chance today but the interface really doesn't do it any favours. Completely unintuitive design. The premise is sound, I guess but at every point I felt I was fighting against the system just to get basic commands done.

How so? I'm usually very finnicky about clunky UI and mechanics but Frozen Synapse is fairly intuitive. If I have a question with my command, I can always just simulate it before locking it in.

fresquito

Gully State said:
How so? I'm usually very finnicky about clunky UI and mechanics but Frozen Synapse is fairly intuitive. If I have a question with my command, I can always just simulate it before locking it in.
Agreed.

UI is quite good for what the game demands. Now, graphical style is a different beast. First time I saw a screen of the game (it was tiny) I thought it was some kind of puzzle music techno game. At first glance, it's hard to realize it's a tactical squad strategy game.

BigAT

Sir Fragula said:
Did you play through the tutorial first? I just started playing yesterday and that was the first thing I did, which allowed me to pick up everything pretty easily after that. I imagine it would be pretty confusing if you didn't play the tutorial though.

Toma

Btw we are now in at 73 people for this tournament, which is kinda big for an Indie game. If we all go online at the same time we are probably about 1/3 to 1/4 of the complete online population at a given time.

Volodja

Toma said:

Anilusion
Volodja
darksagus

Well, at least I will get to be humiliated in at least 3 matches.

edit: oh, it updated, 4 matches

Toma

fresquito said:
Then count me in ^_^

Random.org decided to put you into my group ^_^ Welcome, friend.

All groups have been finalized, and everyone who entered so far is in a group.

Ledsen

Sir Fragula said:

Really? I find the interface to be amazing. I just jumped right into multiplayer without even doing the tutorial, and I did fine. You have your aim symbol, your wait symbol, and everything else is done by right-clicking. You also have numbers showing you the order of your actions. All the information you need, in a very small space. In fact the interface probably the one aspect of the game that impresses me the most. What don't you like about it exactly?

edit: Okay, so I remember that I did watch a video about the game before I played it, but still. I really love the interface.

01-55, click to see)

68. Ultimo
69. BigAT
70. fresquito
71. gregor7777

:)

Vlodril

Been looking at the document and man thats alot of people. When does this thing start and how its going to work exactly?

Toma

Vlodril said:
Been looking at the document and man thats alot of people. When does this thing start and how its going to work exactly?

I'll post the tournament information tonight or tomorrow, but basically the best 2 of each group get to the K.O round.

In the group phase you'll get 3 points for each win, and 1 point for each draw, and then the K.O. round is well.. self explanatory.

Quick poll though: 2 games for each match in the K.O. round are a definite.

How about in the group phase? 1 or 2 matches with the others?

I thought about going with 1 but if you lose that might be just due a shitty setup so it isnt quite representative, which is why I am leaning more for 2, even in the group phase.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Code:

01-55, click to see)

68. Ultimo
69. BigAT
70. fresquito
71. gregor7777
72. Myke_Greywolf

Am I still on time?

fresquito

Toma said:
I'll post the tournament information tonight or tomorrow, but basically the best 2 of each group get to the K.O round.

In the group phase you'll get 3 points for each win, and 1 point for each draw, and then the K.O. round is well.. self explanatory.

Quick poll though: 2 games for each match in the K.O. round are a definite.

How about in the group phase? 1 or 2 matches with the others?

I thought about going with 1 but if you lose that might be just due a shitty setup so it isnt quite representative, which is why I am leaning more for 2, even in the group phase.
Like soccer: two legs.

Top Bottom