• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Hanzou

898 said:
Sorry about that. I thought I registered in the right server but I guess I registered to the Grand/Texas? server.
I tried to register a new account to the UK1 server with no luck "The server returned an error: the CD key is invalid or used."

Anybody want to help out? The info on the official site/forums aren't very helpful.
So I tried to:
click advanced - change the server to 64.31.63.226 28021 - test sever - message responds correctly- click use this server - Message pops up, server has changed, register
click on create account - enter info - enter key from steam - click register - error "The server returned an error: the CD key is invalid or used."
What am I missing?

You don't have to actually create a new account to play on a different server. When you log in to the master server you can pick which server to play on, just pick UK1 from there. Once you connect for the first time, you create an account on that server.

DAT RESPAWN

11481240.png

Salsa

man, the community in UK1 is mostly okay, but ive ran into at least 3 guys that didnt finished a game with me on the last turn when i was clearly winning, talk about bad losers.

InertiaXr

SalsaShark said:
man, the community in UK1 is mostly okay, but ive ran into at least 3 guys that didnt finished a game with me on the last turn when i was clearly winning, talk about bad losers.

You get 2 weeks I believe if it is your turn then you auto-lose the game, so you will get a win eventually just takes some time.

yarden24

Anyone up for a game?
FS name same as name here, would be fun playing against some gaffers.
if you are just challenge me in game

Munin

TheSeks said:
Well, your grenader is going to bite the dust no matter what you do. Oh, wait that isn't you as green is it? Well, greens grenade is fucked if you guess the grenade throw of 3 correctly.
I'd assume throwing it through the door and hoping it bounces just right into the one door that the green grenade could take to safety to get away from your machine gun that can lock down the hall to the right of him.
However, I'd call a kamikaze attack since that grenader is pretty fucked otherwise and take out one dude with a lucky toss.

Then again most of my tactics suck in multiplayer and that's why I'm 1-3 level 2. :/

Anyway: Got past mission 3-1 in singleplayer. Lucked out and caught the AI in a long hallway. I still say the random nature of the game makes it less "skill" and more "luck" for the most part and that really irks me given Pylon's advertisement as this being a "thinking mans shooter." You still have to think to get correct mindreads, sure. But there has been times where advantages (to me) have been disadvantages because the one person I'd make bite it turns around and makes me bite it. Annoying, and I'm not the only one to notice this as someone on the Mode 7 forums has stated it.

But yeah, the spawns in general have been pretty crap for me because you either have everyone spread out with little advantage against the enemy that has long sights. Have crap units (user made to have you purposely disadvantaged?), like one game where I had three shotguns, against three RPG's, one machine gun. Or crap spawns, again.

Annoying. :|

I think in regards to this that spawns for the tournament should have been set to "opposite ends" to increase fairness but anyway...maybe I am the only one who thinks it would actually make a big difference. Either way is fine for me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Kalnos said:
Hm. Two things maybe:

You can bounce grenades off walls.
You can shoot them over light cover while ducking/standing.

Grenades are a prediction game, more so than every other class really. They're good for forcing other people into going a direction you want them to, say, with a machine gun waiting.

Makes sense. I'll try this tomorrow.

Flayer

Speaking of unbalanced spawn positions can I get permission to have this match restarted? I lose 2 guys on the first turn no matter what...

frozenfail.jpg

Flayer said:
Speaking of unbalanced spawn positions can I get permission to have this match restarted? I lose 2 guys on the first turn no matter what...
I know that feeling bro - will lose my machinegunner no matter what. I have thought the spawn system is more intelligent.

Would it be okay to start a match with somebody in the tourney if they're not here and we haven't communicated yet? The game handles that well but wanted to make sure. I work off hours so wanted to get my first move in tonight before I sleep unless that's inconsiderate.

edit: Went ahead and started matches against friggles and snoopeasystreet. So whenever they come on my move will have been made.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The tournament has started!Reminder every 100 posts.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29240850&postcount=1356

cr_blah_blah said:
Would it be okay to start a match with somebody in the tourney if they're not here and we haven't communicated yet? The game handles that well but wanted to make sure. I work off hours so wanted to get my first move in tonight before I sleep unless that's inconsiderate.

Yup, sure. You might want to throw them a pm on Gaf to tell them these are tournament matches, though.

Flayer said:

I had the exact same spawn yesterday, I assume you are yellow? I was in that position as well and you dont need to lose anyone if played right. And red doesnt need to lose anyone as well.

The positions can be disadvantageous, but you can do much about these situations. Often its even advantageous for you since the opponent will likely make a very similar move since there arent too many options. If you know that, you can counter very effectively.
I've won my fair share of games where I had the "disadvantageous" start due to that.

I'd say the only game where you are allowed to restart is when a guy is trapped in a building. But since its not "my" tournament, we could make another agreement if all of you want to start in opposing corners. I dont btw, just for the records, because its getting more intense and varied this way.

And we can always make different rules for the next tournament, so give us some feedback afterwards.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Instro said:
So Darkkn had our 2 matches in Group K. I'm a bit unsure as to where the youtube videos should go in the spreadsheet.

EDIT: Looks like I can't edit the spreadsheet anyway.

Yeah, because some might have problems understanding how the youtube vids are entered and to make less mistakes if we have 70 people writing stuff in the spreadsheet, I am just updating it as we go along.

Updated yours btw :)

Nice tournament start for you indeed.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Woah, totally forgot about the tournament :) I'll try to learn the game as soon as I can, now that I finally understood that tourney chart :p.

fresquito

Awesome job Toma. I'm in N group as well, I hope you are not as good organizing your squad as your are organizing the tournament, otherwise I have no hopes xD

Today I played my first dark extermination match online. I won, but I had two casualties. One because i'm not used to the mode, the other because I've never had used a grenadier before. Here's the youtube video for anyone to see (love this feature) Just watch a total useless grenade launcher in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OFJMlP-I8

BTW, congrats Instro for your victories. They were fun to watch.

Toma

fresquito said:
Awesome job Toma. I'm in N group as well, I hope you are not as good organizing your squad as your are organizing the tournament, otherwise I have no hopes xD

Today I played my first dark extermination match online. I won, but I had two casualties. One because i'm not used to the mode, the other because I've never had used a grenadier before. Here's the youtube video for anyone to see (love this feature) Just watch a total useless grenade launcher in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OFJMlP-I8

BTW, congrats Instro for your victories. They were fun to watch.

Haha, yeah, your grenadier wasnt your most effective soldier ;)

I am "TomaLexi" on UK1, just throw me an invite when you are ready to go.

Vlodril

Well i had a pretty disastrous first turn in one of the games and i was so favored in the placement. I have trouble with all my first turns , i can't seem to grasp a rational deployment and i have to play catch up in the rest of the game. Oh well.

Wasn't expecting to do well anyway so that's something :p. Low expectations make games like this more fun.

Zomo

How long does it roughly take for the game to show up on youtube? It said from the Frozen Synapse menu that it is now uploading.

Toma

Zomo said:
How long does it roughly take for the game to show up on youtube? It said from the Frozen Synapse menu that it is now uploading.

5 minutes maybe?

Vlodril

Yea the first turn really ruined me. Was lucky afterwards just until then end where my luck ended :). It was a great game though.

RyanDG

Btw, for the_player, kryptikjoker, nevvermore, and welford... I sent all 4 of you guys an in game invite for our first match.

Zomo

fresquito said:
Great come back from Vlodril. Although in the end it ws Doolez that won (I don't really know why).

Yeah i'm a little confused why it wasn't a draw. Thought i had it mid game but then Vlodril kicked some ass with one dude. It was a fun game :)

Toma

RyanDG said:
Btw, for the_player, kryptikjoker, nevvermore, and welford... I sent all 4 of you guys an in game invite for our first match.
You might want to send those a PM that you invited them for a tourney match. Probably not everyone has the mail notification on.

RyanDG

fresquito said:
That's odd. The name of the video says you're green, the video itself says otherwise!

Anyway, impressive game by the greens (whoever it is)

Keep them coming. I love me some FS videos!

the_player was green that game. I got steam rolled. ;)

fresquito said:
That's odd. The name of the video says you're green, the video itself says otherwise!

Correct names are in the title of videos. Dunno, why mode7 didn't fixed that weird bug yet.

RyanDG

The_Player said:
Correct names are in the title of videos. Dunno, why mode7 didn't fixed that weird bug yet.

Want to go ahead and get match 2 started? I'm off this morning with nothing better to do than play Frozen Synapse for a bit. ;)

Zomo

fresquito said:

For tiny short little videos they're very entertaining :D

fresquito

Ok, thanks for the info.

WHOaguitarninja and Quantum Bro don't seem to be registered in UK1. Toma and Conceptor have been challenged. However, keep in mind I can't play too much until next week, so I'll try my best to do my turns, but please, be patient.

Zomo

Vlodril said:
Yea the first turn really ruined me. Was lucky afterwards just until then end where my luck ended :). It was a great game though.

Thought I'd go ahead and start the next game. I'm guessing most participants are American so I'm trying to get as many turns done as possible because of the time difference :p

Flayer

Toma said:
I had the exact same spawn yesterday, I assume you are yellow? I was in that position as well and you dont need to lose anyone if played right. And red doesnt need to lose anyone as well.
Yes I am yellow and there is no way to escape. His Rocketeer can shoot straight into the room and take out my rifle and rocket. The Grenadier standing right outside is the gravy on this shit sandwich.

I will play it out obviously if my opponent doesn't agree to restart but it is a surefire loss. It's 1 or 2 (depending on whether I guess where the grenade goes) vs 4 for 7 turns. At least it's not a sudden death knockout round I guess.

BigAT

Do the numbers on players have any relation to their "strength" (i.e. in an otherwise equal battle a 4 rifleman will take out a 1 rifleman) or is it purely a labeling system?

Toma

Flayer said:
Yes I am yellow and there is no way to escape. His Rocketeer can shoot straight into the room and take out my rifle and rocket. The Grenadier standing right outside is the gravy on this shit sandwich.

I will play it out obviously if my opponent doesn't agree to restart but it is a surefire loss. It's 1 or 2 (depending on whether I guess where the grenade goes) vs 4 for 7 turns. At least it's not a sudden death knockout round I guess.
Just to reiterate again: I was in the same situation as you and the game ended draw, and only because I wasn't paying attention in the last round. Otherwise I would have won. We shouldn't go too deeply into this now, as this is a tournament match, but if you look at your game afterwards I can almost guarantee I could show you paths to get all your soldiers out of there alive, considering what your enemy did.

Top Bottom