• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

CzarTim

Ultimoo said:
I find that superior map control through the use of cover and choke points is the best winning strategy. Basically one machine gunner under cover can cover a wide area, forcing your opponents to turtle and allowing you to flank. Of course, this is ineffective when rocket launchers are in play, but hey, a man can dream of a game free of rocket launchers.
Agreed, especially in open maps. When there are a lot of walls/buildings it gets tricky. If the match doesn't have a lot of explosives, it's good to have your gunners team up to cover each other.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just purchased, have another copy, will trade for a worms reloaded, pm if interested.

Code:
Tournament, Dark Extermination, We'll start after the Steam Summer Sale 
ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.

(getting too long, shortened:
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29081122&postcount=902"]01-55, click to see[/URL])
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer
62. Tegris
63. welford
64. OldGamer

It seems I have to be the 64th.

Munin

Oh what the hell, even though I have not played in ages...

Code:

01-55, click to see)
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer
62. Tegris
63. welford
64. OldGamer
65. Munin

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wow, 65 already for the tourney :D I already know what we are going to do about 64+ players, but seriously.. good stuff.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reluctant-Hero said:
Sounds good. UK1 is showing the most players right now too.

Yup, which is the main reason to play on it for now. And most of us are on UK1 atm.

I will suggest meeting up on UK1 for the games in the tournament anyway, so it wouldnt hurt if everyone would meet up there.

Ledsen

Q: How do you aim without firing? That is, say I want to go to a window and look in a certain direction to check for enemies, then quickly duck back because I know that if the enemy is standing behind the cover I think he's standing behind, he'll beat me. I use "continue on sight" all the time, but that isn't quite the same thing since I can't aim in that mode (I think).

Ledsen said:
Q: How do you aim without firing? That is, say I want to go to a window and look in a certain direction to check for enemies, then quickly duck back because I know that if the enemy is standing behind the cover I think he's standing behind, he'll beat me. I use "continue on sight" all the time, but that isn't quite the same thing since I can't aim in that mode (I think).
You either right click on each enemy and "ignore" them or you chose "Continue on sight" before going out of your cover.

Kalnos

Banned
Ledsen said:
Q: How do you aim without firing? That is, say I want to go to a window and look in a certain direction to check for enemies, then quickly duck back because I know that if the enemy is standing behind the cover I think he's standing behind, he'll beat me.

Issue a 'check' command and direct it to look into the direction of window while making sure that you have a 'continue on sight' OR 'ignore enemy' (if you know which it is) currently active. After that it's simply a matter of adding the duck command to your chain. Remember to add engage/clear ignore afterwards.

Ledsen

Kalnos said:
Issue a 'check' command and direct it to look into the direction of window while making sure that you have a 'continue on sight' OR 'ignore enemy' (if you know which it is) currently active. After that it's simply a matter of adding the duck command to your chain. Remember to add engage/clear ignore afterwards.

Ah. So basically "check" is taking a quick peek in a direction instead of turning to face that way like "aim"? Also, if I use "aim" after "continue on sight", my guy will always shoot. I haven't actually ever used "engage/clear ignore".

Kalnos

Banned
Ledsen said:
Ah. So basically "check" is taking a quick peek in a direction instead of turning to face that way like "aim"? Also, if I use "aim" after "continue on sight", my guy will always shoot. I haven't actually ever used "engage/clear ignore".

Yeah, 'check' will turn for a split second and peek in a direction. You will shoot during a check if you don't have 'continue on sight' active.

Volodja

Ultimoo said:
I find that superior map control through the use of cover and choke points is the best winning strategy. Basically one machine gunner under cover can cover a wide area, forcing your opponents to turtle and allowing you to flank. Of course, this is ineffective when rocket launchers are in play, but hey, a man can dream of a game free of rocket launchers.
That's pretty much how I play.
MGs cover the largest area possible, if not to outright kill the enemies at least to spot them if they try and flank and the other units try to poke here and there to find vulnerabilities.
They move only when I am completely sure that the area they stop guarding is completely secure.
Unfortunately my shotgun play seems to be pretty bad.

I would like to know why I am losing points for kicking the shit out of people. -123 points in secure for killing all combatants and never letting them in the zone by the 2nd round? I hope thats just a graphic bug... I want to get 1st overall daily and am currently at 3rd.

And what is up with the leader boards taking forever to update! I think 20 hours or so in the past 3 days is too much but I cant stop playing this fricking game

Kalnos

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I would like to know why I am losing points for kicking the shit out of people. -123 points in secure for killing all combatants and never letting them in the zone by the 2nd round? I hope thats just a graphic bug... I want to get 1st overall daily and am currently at 3rd.

If you're player two your points are displayed as negative even if they're positive. Just something the dev team hasn't got to I guess, but it's just a display thing.

Kalnos said:
If you're player two your points are displayed as negative even if they're positive. Just something the dev team hasn't got to I guess, but it's just a display thing.

Ah ok :) I was thinking that was probably it... My only complaint about this game right now are the server slowness and how some of the text/wording is used for the leaderboards

Toma

flipswitch said:
Is it possible to play different game modes in instant skirmish other than the default extermination?

Nope, not possible yet. I heard that there is DLC around the corner though. No idea whats in, but we'll see.

Kalnos said:

And its actually not "your" points but they always display the points the first player is getting.

Omikron

9/10 times I login to the master server the game will bluescreen my pc... frustrating as hell. Anyone with any ideas before I attempt to diagnose myself.

Toma

Omi said:
9/10 times I login to the master server the game will bluescreen my pc... frustrating as hell. Anyone with any ideas before I attempt to diagnose myself.

Probably best to go directly to their forums with your system configuration:
http://forums.mode7games.com

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm sure this has been said before but the in game tutorial is mostly useless. I have no idea how this game works.

Toma

sprsk said:
I'm sure this has been said before but the in game tutorial is mostly useless.

Yup. They should have included an advanced tutorial for the ones who want to dive deeper into it.

Zomo

Munin said:
Oh what the hell, even though I have not played in ages...

Code:

01-55, click to see)
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer
62. Tegris
63. welford
64. OldGamer
65. Munin

The only reason i'm quoting this is because somehow my name changed from 'Doolez' to 'Dooles' I don't want there to be any confusion. In my post i did spell it with a Z which is the correct spelling.

Toma

Zomo said:
The only reason i'm quoting this is because somehow my name changed from 'Doolez' to 'Dooles' I don't want there to be any confusion. In my post i did spell it with a Z which is the correct spelling.

Fyi, I'll make the tournament groups in about 2 days. Just in case anyone wondered. Might take a day more to find a way suitable of keeping track of all the information.

Sokantish

Anyone want this game? I have an extra copy through steam because of the sale. Just PM me with your steam name and I'll send it to you

EDIT: It's been claimed now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
sprsk said:
I'm sure this has been said before but the in game tutorial is mostly useless. I have no idea how this game works.

It explains the basics okay. But that's all the tutorial is really for, the basics.

Clunker

So I'm immensely curious about this game, but how netbook-friendly is it really? It mentions in the OP and official site that it'll run on low-end hardware but my netbook is really pretty janky (it chokes at parts of Recettear), so I'm a little hesitant to go whole-hog unless others here have been playing on really low-spec machines.

Kalnos

Banned
Rage quitters are kind of frustrating. Maybe the guy had to go, but when you have a first round in which you kill 3 of his units and he kills 0 of yours followed by a status of 'here' to 'offline' is kind of annoying. I have like 4 games in limbo that I will obviously win eventually.

TheSeks

Sometimes, the yellow AI is crap.

Othertimes, they're really good. Lucked out because they carried me in that mission. Otherwise we'd have been fucked because I can't seem to wrap my head around aiming and having the AI fire on people despite them being in the vision cone. :/

Toma

Clunker said:
So I'm immensely curious about this game, but how netbook-friendly is it really? It mentions in the OP and official site that it'll run on low-end hardware but my netbook is really pretty janky (it chokes at parts of Recettear), so I'm a little hesitant to go whole-hog unless others here have been playing on really low-spec machines.

Sorry dude, I dont have anything this low to test. Anyone else here?

Code:

01-55, click to see)
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer
62. Tegris
63. welford
64. OldGamer
65. Munin
66. dustbot

Nishastra

Banned
Clunker said:
I put it on my Asus 1000HA and while it's playable if you turn off the backgrounds in the options menu, it takes a LONG, LONG, LONG time for the turn outcome calculations to complete in singleplayer.

Presumably this wouldn't be a problem in multiplayer? There's no AI and I assume the server does the actual calculations. Still...

TheSeks

Nishastra said:
I put it on my Asus 1000HA and while it's playable if you turn off the backgrounds in the options menu, it takes a LONG, LONG, LONG time for the turn outcome calculations to complete in singleplayer.

Presumably this wouldn't be a problem in multiplayer? There's no AI and I assume the server does the actual calculations. Still...

You can have the game precalculate the turns IIRC to increase framerate or whatever, but yeah. The game works on low-end, but it isn't going to be too great.

RyanDG

Clunker said:

Is your netbook a dual core netbook? If so, I got it to run on my wife's, but it's not a silky smooth performance.

Ferrio

Banned
So bought this game the day after the daily deal... and I'm glad I did.

Really really great game, nice and quick, and very different than anything I've ever played before. It's kinda like if a board game and an RTS made a baby. I won my very first game, but have lost all my others since very very badly.

If anyone interested in playing sometime
SteamID: Ferrio

I'm currently up to the 6th or so mission, but when I resume the campaign mode it goes to the mission before it.If I chose play unlocked missions I can select the 6th mission that I am up to.
Is there any way around this besides playing off from the fifth mission?.

Clunker

Thanks for the responses -- I ended up gambling on a purchase last night and it runs on my Toshiba NB205, which is single-core. I turned everything off that I could and it definitely slows during the AI "thinking" turn, but otherwise it works pretty well!

Really glad I bought it too. I've only played the tutorial and the first campaign mission, but in my first try in the campaign I had two of my guys slaughtered on the first turn, but I somehow spun it around in the end and had my last guy take out four machine gunners in the last two turns. <3 I'm not much of a PC gamer (naturally, since I have a netbook!) but this is a really awesome blend of turn-based and real-time strategy.

Morokh

Can someone point me towards some guides / tutorials for this game, because I have a hard time getting the hang of it.

I'm a big fan of turn by turn strategy games in general but the fact that the two players turn are resolved at the same time really is a disturbing factor for me in this game xD

TheSeks

flipswitch said:
I'm currently up to the 6th or so mission, but when I resume the campaign mode it goes to the mission before it.If I chose play unlocked missions I can select the 6th mission that I am up to.
Is there any way around this besides playing off from the fifth mission?.

Did you change your campaign profile from the default?

Kalnos said:
Rage quitters are kind of frustrating. Maybe the guy had to go, but when you have a first round in which you kill 3 of his units and he kills 0 of yours followed by a status of 'here' to 'offline' is kind of annoying. I have like 4 games in limbo that I will obviously win eventually.

I have a few that probably tried the 'find me a game button' and just left after finding no server.

TheSeks said:
Did you change your campaign profile from the default?

Whut. Campaign?

Ooooh singleplayer. Should check that out, I guess:p

Top Bottom