• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Kalnos

Banned
Codeblue said:
I've been catching super lucky breaks lately. This guy had a flawless first turn. He didn't know you could launch rockets at light cover though.

I'm Codeblue in game and Codeblue119 on Steam. I'm fairly awful though.

Haha nice, I don't think it would of mattered if he knew anyway since you shot that last rocket so much earlier.

Palmer_v1

Codeblue said:
I've been catching super lucky breaks lately. This guy had a flawless first turn. He didn't know you could launch rockets at light cover though.

Yeah there is no way you should have won that after the first round. Poor guy.

Neki

I didn't know Dark Extermination was only 8 turns, ugh. I need to learn how to camp out the last few turns instead of being agressive.

Cipherr

Codeblue said:

Oh WOW damn that was bad ass man. Im going to have to play this this weekend. I dont think it downloaded when I bought it because the servers were so slammed but I have got to get into this game.

Neki

oh my god, I won because he moved at turn 8 instead of waiting, LOL. Who do you determine who wins when both have one guy left?

Palmer_v1

Ultimoo said:
oh my god, I won because he moved at turn 8 instead of waiting, LOL. Who do you determine who wins when both have one guy left?

Apparently it's a draw, but rewards both players a win on their records.

Dascu

Been having fun with the campaign so far. I have the feeling I would get slaughtered online though. But anyhoo, go ahead and add me to that list:

Dascu/Dascu

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the games tonight Palmer. I learned a little more.
Now I shall test my new knowledge.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Code:
Tournament, Dark Extermination, We'll start after the Steam Summer Sale 
ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.

(getting too long, shortened:
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29080794&postcount=901"]01-53, click to see[/URL])
54. Anilusion
55. Atrophis
56. Dooles

New page quote.

Code:

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29080794&postcount=901"]01-53, click to see[/URL])
54. Anilusion
55. Atrophis
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov

Need to play something else than extermination to practice.

Dascu

Code:

55. Atrophis
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
There we go.

Morphis

Damn, the tournament is exploding numbers wise :) Lot more ppl interested than in the GAF tourney around release if I remember correctly.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Morphis said:
Damn, the tournament is exploding numbers wise :) Lot more ppl interested than in the GAF tourney around release if I remember correctly.

Yeah, we had 16 for the first tourney. This one might take a little longer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can you "level down" if you lose a lot? I'm finally level 2, 8 more levels to go but I'm worried about losing my level >_>

Code:

55. Atrophis
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
58. WHOAguitarninja
Annnd another

Toma

Ferrio said:
Sad I didn't buy this now, how much was the daily deal?

50% off the normal price. And you get 2 copies (many people know by this point, but just to be on the safe side)

Darkkn

Code:

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29081122&postcount=902"]01-55, click to see[/URL])
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn

Totally in. Really impressive tournament coming :O

I'm really surprised that i'm not completely awful at this game. Rocking 7-1 win record atm. :O Constantly waiting reality to kick in and start losing properly.

I love the way mp system works in this game. Really awesome that you can have many games going and it's easy to jump between games.

Edit: Fixed the url for long list.. a couple of previous posts seem to be linking to wrong post.

Kalnos

Banned
Just some info I learned that I think people might want to know:

If you're challenged by someone, but don't want to play them you simply can ignore the game and it will go away eventually and you will suffer no repercussions (loss). The previous is only true until you play your first turn, after playing your first turn you're obligated to finish the game. If you wait too long to make a turn (a week/two) then you will eventually forfeit the game to the other player. So if anyone has bailed out of a game on you because they were losing badly you will claim your victory eventually.

Also, if you don't like seeing the games you don't want to play on your list you can click games and put them on the hide list so you don't have to look at them.

Toma

Darkkn said:
Totally in. Really impressive tournament coming :O

I'm really surprised that i'm not completely awful at this game. Rocking 7-1 win record atm. :O Constantly waiting reality to kick in and start losing properly.

I love the way mp system works in this game. Really awesome that you can have many games going and it's easy to jump between games.

Edit: Fixed the url for long list.. a couple of previous posts seem to be linking to wrong post.

Thanks! Could you also change to the correct numbers please? :) Wasnt your fault but now it drags on.

Toma

Instro said:
So how do you make rockets hit cover spots instead of passing over them?

Duck the rocketeer before shooting.

Kalnos

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I am dominating secure baby.

I think secure is the most imbalanced mode, the hostages are so fast. I won a secure earlier without moving them because I killed all of his units on the second turn.
KuGsj.gif

Toma

Kalnos said:
I think secure is the most imbalanced mode, the hostages are so fast. I won a secure earlier without moving them because I killed all of his units on the second turn.
KuGsj.gif

You are thinking of Hostage I suppose.

Secure is the mode where you need to bet on zones and defend or attack them.

TheExecutive said:
I am dominating secure baby.

And since I love this mode, I need to challenge you to a bitch fight :p

Challenge incoming,wont play anymore today, though. Too tired, but this will make me remember tomorrow.

Toma

TheExecutive said:
I am following you? Am I being a creeper and not even knowing it?

"Following" is the ingame term for people that added you and you havent added them back as a friend yet.

RyanDG

Couple of videos to share...

First one is my very first match of Frozen Synapse online... The reason why I show this one is simply to show just how much you can learn in 13 matches, and secondly, because I find it rather funny that on the last turn of the game, while facing off against a rocket launcher as a machine gunner with a ton of open space around me, I decided that my best tactical decision at the time was to pretty much walk right into a random rocket. Yay me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2JgWZkR2I

Second video is a match I just finished earlier this evening... Tactical teams were 2 rocket launchers, 1 grenade launcher, and 1 machine gunner a piece. My starting position here for one of my rocket launchers and machine gunner was absolutely abysmal. A well placed rocket at the beginning could have potentially taken them both out and left me at a severe disadvantage. With a coinflip I decided the best play was to try to hug the corners and hope my opponent tried to catch me coming out. Fortunately I got lucky. As a side note here, I hate explosive weapons. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrL71H7eXQ

Achtius

Kalnos said:
Anything in-particular? A few quick general tips:

Utilize cover to its full effectiveness. Not only for firing, but you can also duck behind cover which is crucial for sneaking around the map and getting across large portions of maps without being gunned down by assault rifles. You can survive being shot at for a second or two while running from cover to cover before ducking. IIRC, you can also throw grenades over cover while ducking.

Simulate enemy movement. I don't think a lot of people realize you can not only simulate your turn, but also the enemies by telling their units where to move and what to do. This is really helpful in determining who will come out on top in certain situations.

Remember to remove aim/duck/engage. I catch slow moving enemies a ton because people forget to remove previously set instructions, don't forget to remove them and reissue them when needed.

Aim and engage make units goes slower? Is there a guide for this game?

Flayer

Toma said:
Code:
[b]ADD YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE[/b]

56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer

Add yourself to the list if you want to participate!
Hit me up (Flayer, on UK1 server) if you just want a friendly game as well!

Tegris

I had been interested in this game for a while, but I thought it had been too expensive until now. I'm glad I picked it up too, particularly for the multiplayer - being able to map out both your moves and your opponent's means that you aren't at the mercy of the mechanics, so the result is completely dependent on skill.

I'm 2-2 at the moment (my record says 2-3 for some reason, but I've only completed four games), but hopefully that will improve.

Code:

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29081122&postcount=902"]01-55, click to see[/URL])
56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer
62. Tegris

I'm on UK1, by the way.

Also, this is my first post on GAF - be gentle :)

Flayer

Tegris said:
I had been interested in this game for a while, but I thought it had been too expensive until now. I'm glad I picked it up too, particularly for the multiplayer - being able to map out both your moves and your opponent's means that you aren't at the mercy of the mechanics, so the result is completely dependent on skill.
A cool thing about making your opponents moves that I didn't realise for a while is that you can pick up their characters and drop them anywhere on the map. Very useful when you are trying to figure out what wins a particular battle.

Kalnos

Banned
Achtius said:

Aim orders do make units walk slower, engage orders do not. If you want your unit to look a direction and shoot if they see something you need to use 'check' with engage turned on, if they don't see anything they will continue their path.

In regards to engage, it can be important to remove and re-add it at times where you want your unit to run across a small area where he will open to enemy fire that you don't want him to stop and fire back at because he will surely die. I.E. You're behind one set of cover running to another and the enemy has a favorable position and is looking at the area between the two. Remove engage while running across and re-add it after crossing. If you don't and you're running across with a machine gunner for instance... he will stop, shoot back, and die.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Anyone else having trouble uploading to Youtube? My first video worked just fine, but I've tried to uploaded another game and it's "Failed (unable to convert video file)" on me twice.

Neki

I was playing Nish and I got an awesome bug where it gave me two losses for losing once, this game hates me. :(

Nishastra

Banned
On the bright side, it also gave me two wins for winning once! :p

I just watched the replay of that match, and aside from the initial volleys, it was boring as hell. Lots of not much.

Neki

Nishastra said:
On the bright side, it also gave me two wins for winning once! :p

I just watched the replay of that match, and aside from the initial volleys, it was boring as hell. Lots of not much.

you can blame the positioning of my units. I was pretty upset that I lost my guy behind the box in the bottom right even though you weren't behind cover, sigh. >_>

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Code:

56. Dooles
57. PjotrStroganov
58. Dascu
59. WHOAguitarninja
60. Darkkn
61. Flayer
62. Tegris
63. welford

me too!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Achtius said:

I posted one a page or two back. Read it, love it. Learn it.

Neki

I find that superior map control through the use of cover and choke points is the best winning strategy. Basically one machine gunner under cover can cover a wide area, forcing your opponents to turtle and allowing you to flank. Of course, this is ineffective when rocket launchers are in play, but hey, a man can dream of a game free of rocket launchers.

Top Bottom