• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
BigAT said:
Do the numbers on players have any relation to their "strength" (i.e. in an otherwise equal battle a 4 rifleman will take out a 1 rifleman) or is it purely a labeling system?
Only for labeling purposes, you can also use the numbers to quick select those units by pressing the corresponding key.

Flayer

Toma said:
Just to reiterate again: I was in the same situation as you and the game ended draw, and only because I wasn't paying attention in the last round. Otherwise I would have won. We shouldn't go too deeply into this now, as this is a tournament match, but if you look at your game afterwards I can almost guarantee I could show you paths to get all your soldiers out of there alive, considering what your enemy did.
I've tried all the paths. The rocket going into the top doorframe is game over. I'm not some noob, I'm 63-19 and beat some top players and I will play the game out and finish it if I have to, but there is no way to get out of that room. I can't even shoot out of it at someone without moving because of bad window angles.

You will not have had the exact same set up as every level is randomly generated.

Zomo

BigAT said:
Do the numbers on players have any relation to their "strength" (i.e. in an otherwise equal battle a 4 rifleman will take out a 1 rifleman) or is it purely a labeling system?

Think its just a labeling system.

Edit: Didn't see new page :S

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Flayer said:
I've tried all the paths. The rocket going into the top doorframe is game over. I'm not some noob, I'm 63-19 and beat some top players and I will play the game out and finish it if I have to, but there is no way to get out of that room. I can't even shoot out of it at someone without moving because of bad window angles.

You will not have had the exact same set up as every level is randomly generated.
Well you might want to think again, as you don't know as much about the game as you think you do ( at least in terms of how the game is setting up rooms at the moment, because its not that uncommon) Check my profile after you finished your game and look for the first game I made with yarden24. It's the exact same game. I'll upload it later for you.

Toma said:
I had the exact same spawn yesterday, I assume you are yellow? I was in that position as well and you dont need to lose anyone if played right. And red doesnt need to lose anyone as well.
Actually, Toma, it was just luck that your enemy didn't blow the whole room, just one of its corners. I, for one, can't see any chance of survival of these troops.

RyanDG said:
Gah watching the match again is painful. Good game!
I know that feel, bro. Good game indeed.

Vlodril

Thought I'd go ahead and start the next game. I'm guessing most participants are American so I'm trying to get as many turns done as possible because of the time difference :p

I am European, ill be on in a while and we can do the second game as well. Loving the youtube export feature and being able to see everyone's fights.

Toma

The_Player said:
Actually, Toma, it was just luck that your enemy didn't blow the whole room, just one of its corners. I, for one, can't see any chance of survival of these troops.

I know that feel, bro. Good game indeed.
Depending on where he is aiming, you always have a spot where you can escape to. you "just" need to guess correctly. Admittedly, the rocket wasn't that well placed, but I didn't lose. There are many things possible in this game, and in this case, either running to the top or the right, will save those troops, depending on where the grenade and the rocket is aimed.

My point is: Almost no starting position means an instant loss. except maybe for walled in soldiers, which are matches which you definitely should leave out and make a new one.

Zomo

Vlodril said:
I am European, ill be on in a while and we can do the second game as well. Loving the youtube export feature and being able to see everyone's fights.

I'm Australian, about to head to bed though got work in the morning. I'll try to be on whenever i can.
Good luck guys :D

Toma said:
My point is: Almost no starting position means an instant loss. except maybe for walled in soldiers, which are matches which you definitely should leave out and make a new one.
Yeah, like this one. There 100% no chance of survival for this machinegunner. I spent like 30-40 minutes desperately trying to find a clue to solve this death maze, so I can vouch for what I'm saying. Gonna play this match anyway. Loss is a loss.

The_Player said:
11481240.png

I just played that 'rocket, grenade + three guys in a tiny room' map as the screwed guy, and I didn't come out of it too well. :p It does depend on what the opponent does, but a smart one can make a pretty effective blast radius. I personally just made the wrong gamble. I'm also a little rusty.

I'm going through the duplicates now. You'd be surprised how many people don't rocket the room at all. :p Especially as it's a complete no brainer. :S

Okay Toma, I just caught yours. Not to take away from what you did, the guy chose very poorly in firing the rocket where he did. Which does illustrate that being in that situation isn't necessarily an automatic loss. I've seen some victories now. Skillful use of that grenade helps a lot. The only really quick losses I've seen are poor play in a bad situation, not just the situation.

This isn't a huge deal, we're playing for points here, right? And playing 6-8 games to get there?

edit:

The_Player said:
Yeah, like this one. There 100% no chance of survival to this machinegunner. I spent like 30-40 minutes desperately trying to find a clue to solve this death maze, so I can vouch for what I'm saying. Gonna play this match anyway. Loss is a loss.

Wow. I just played this one too. There is a secret for your MG. It's a gamble (and it didn't pay off for me) :p I did win though.

What many players seem to think is the secret, really isn't the secret. In the duplicates I see the MG surviving
when the opposing MG doesn't take up position at the window which happens more often than you'd think - cos the opponent assumes the shotgun will sort it. Also it's important to note that that MG for that brief moment will be entirely exposed.

SUPER DUPER SPOILER
The person with the screwed MG wins more often than not.

There's a PS I'd like to add but its an even bigger spoiler I think. So big I don't want even the chance of it being read. (Maybe it's not that big)

RyanDG

James-Ape said:
Good Game RyanDG, pretty intense towards the end.

Ledsen said:
hehe, I just uploaded it as well! I'll just remove mine then... anyway, gg. I got justly owned in that one, didn't play very well and made many mistakes but you were on point.

Threw you guys out an invite for our second match.

Nishastra

Banned
The_Player said:
Yeah, like this one. There 100% no chance of survival to this machinegunner. I spent like 30-40 minutes desperately trying to find a clue to solve this death maze, so I can vouch for what I'm saying. Gonna play this match anyway. Loss is a loss.
I had that exact situation as well in one of my matches. I worked out a path that would get him out alive if the shotgunner came from a certain angle, but... well, he didn't :p

Clunker

Oh man, I am stuck at a desk office job all day today, so this has been my morning coffee. :) Some more general tips that I've discovered (including just chatting with random players, as a few have been very helpful):

* Make use of the fact that you can move around enemy soldiers on your turn! You can control and plot their moves like your own, which will help you deduce who will win a firefight. If you know a gunner is going to come at you from one of two windows, sketch out what would happen in both cases before committing. And you can pick up and move shadow units, so if you have a good idea where they're headed, just place them there.

* Don't fire grenades or rockets late in your round. This gives the opponent a good chance to fool around with the trajectory and juke around the explosion by ducking behind light cover, hiding behind walls, etc. It's often better to get a grenadier or rocket launcher in position, stand at the ready, then fire right at the beginning of the next round, especially if it's a surprise attack. (Unless, of course, you are using the grenades to flush dudes out into an ambush!)

* Don't underestimate recon, especially in the first round. Make sure to have eyes everywhere and use the Check command to quickly scan around. Get at least one guy in a good position, duck, and just watch for a while to see where they're headed. IIRC, if you are ducked behind light cover, you will still see everything as if you are standing up -- you just won't be able to fire, but with anyone other than machine gunners this isn't really an issue, and I generally don't like having gunners spraying wildly from all the way across the map.

* If you are up against a rocket launcher, remember *not* to hug the walls. In this case being out in the open is better, as he needs something to hit the rocket against! (And it's been said, but just another reminder: If you duck when firing a rocket, you can hit the light-blue cover walls.)

* This may seem obvious, but don't be obvious. :p Don't pile your guys into one heavily fortified room if the enemy has grenades, and don't always place your gunners at the closest windows. Use the ignore/continue on sight commands to run past windows instead of stopping at each one, and if you're spotted advancing in one way, try doubling back and going another way. Hesitate and pause for half a second before popping out behind cover to try and take someone off-guard.

I missed out on this tournament, but I'd love to jump in on the next one. :)

Nishastra

Banned
The_Player said:
Exactly! There are some ways to avoid his loss, but no one will use'em, because it is obvious from the start that they're wrong.
BTW, did you win or loose the match?
It's not over yet. I'm the only person in my group online right now :p

Toma

The_Player said:
Yeah, like this one. There 100% no chance of survival for this machinegunner. I spent like 30-40 minutes desperately trying to find a clue to solve this death maze, so I can vouch for what I'm saying. Gonna play this match anyway. Loss is a loss.
Yeah, you are right. the position will probably lead to your mg getting slaughtered. But you know 2 other things from that:

The enemy mg is going to move to the window, aiming upwards

The enemy shotgunner is moving through that room to kill your mg.

Was there a way to abuse this knowledge to place a rocket or grenade at these points? Or to let other soldiers aim in that direction?
It might not work out in this situation but if you exactly know what the enemy is going to do to kill your soldier, then you often got the chance, to at least revenge yourself immediately.

Of course even that might not have worked out in your case, sometimes it's just a bit unlucky. But in many cases it's not as disadvantageous as one might think.

And as cramen pointed out: you got 7 more matches in your group to even this out :)

Sorry all for this argument. I wasn't meaning to speak badly of your skills or something, that's not how I meant my argumentation to go.

I just played another round of dark charge. The game really shines in this mode. Bidding with an asymmetric map, teams and goals. Disputed is pretty good too for the same reason, but I prefer charge. :p

Toma

TheExecutive said:
Good game. I wonder why I cannot get the you tube feature to work. Its really annoying for me.

Also how do I update the google doc?
I couldnt make that option available to you without entering all of your email addresses. :(

I'll update everything as soon as I get home.

Toma

chicken_ramen said:
I just played another round of dark charge. The game really shines in this mode. Bidding with an asymmetric map, teams and goals. Disputed is pretty good too for the same reason, but I prefer charge. :p
secure is definitely my favorite mode. For some reason I feel like a noob on Charge :(

Toma said:
Was there a way to abuse this knowledge to place a rocket or grenade at this points? Or to let other soldiers aim in that direction?
It might not work out in is situation but if you exactly know what the enemy is going to do to kill your soldier, then you often got the chance, to at least revenge yourself immediately.

Of course I do understand this. It just me, I really don't like having losses, or even sacrifice units to win the whole battle. Machiavelli's "end justifies the means" isn't my way of playing.

Toma said:
Sorry all for this argument. I wasn't meaning to speak badly of your skills or something, that's not how I meant my argumentation to go.
Nah, I'm cool. :)

Palmer_v1

Deraldin said:
Can't say that I planned on showing off the board for any more turns. Too much information sharing. That shotgunner is going to be the death of me though. I can just feel it. :/

I should have mentioned that I only intended to show the initial screens. Obviously you're giving info away if you post anything after that.

Confidence Man said:
Does it hang on the recording part or does it not upload?

Hangs on the recording part. I also tried to record offline to see if it was a connection issue with my youtube and it still screws up and hangs on the recording part. Also, it is random where it hangs.

Darkkn

I feel like the game is lacking some offensive capabilities. There are times when opponent is at unit kill lead and can totally lock the game down and it's impossible to break if enemy just keeps positions until the end and you don't have counter units(like shotty to clear corner camping mg).
Would be cool if there was some way to change your soldiers character class mid-game from mg to shotty or from launcher to grenade. Maybe if you retreated to your designated 'spawn/resupply' point.

Toma

TheExecutive said:
Hangs on the recording part. I also tried to record offline to see if it was a connection issue with my youtube and it still screws up and hangs on the recording part. Also, it is random where it hangs.
Shoot me a pm with the info which game it is, I'll upload them for you later today.

cackhyena

So does anyone have an extra copy of this they don't want? I have a friend interested, but is unsure about it. I guess I don't have anything to offer so this is really a begging post.

I've got a question about uploading. I just finished putting my first 2 matches up and everything seemed to go fine in game, however they haven't appeared on my youtube account. Do I just need to wait a while or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Toma

Spirit of Jazz said:
I've got a question about uploading. I just finished putting my first 2 matches up and everything seemed to go fine in game, however they haven't appeared on my youtube account. Do I just need to wait a while or have I gone wrong somewhere?
Takes a few minutes for YouTube to process.

Ledsen

Darkkn said:
I feel like the game is lacking some offensive capabilities. There are times when opponent is at unit kill lead and can totally lock the game down and it's impossible to break if enemy just keeps positions until the end and you don't have counter units(like shotty to clear corner camping mg).
Would be cool if there was some way to change your soldiers character class mid-game from mg to shotty or from launcher to grenade. Maybe if you retreated to your designated 'spawn/resupply' point.

Yeah, if you haven't got any support, it's who gets the lead and then to cover first, wins.

Palmer_v1

Palmer_v1

Darkkn said:

It's why I find the rare all MG games to be incredibly boring. It's generally a campfest after the first round.

Neverender said:
I actually watched that video before we played (Moosetwik) and thought the double rocket thing was a good idea, then you did it.

/gasp Cheater!

The strangest part is that we just started ours this morning, and he's been done with his for a while. Not like we started the same time and happened to get the same random seed.

Edit: I can't edit the google doc. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Toma

Palmer_v1 said:
It's why I find the rare all MG games to be incredibly boring. It's generally a campfest after the first round.

/gasp Cheater!

The strangest part is that we just started ours this morning, and he's been done with his for a while. Not like we started the same time and happened to get the same random seed.

Edit: I can't edit the google doc. Is there a trick I'm missing?
I'll update everything in about an hour. Otherwise I would have needed all of your google mail addresses, which was a bit bothersome.

Top Bottom