• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Morphis

Toma said:
I check the Twitter accounts of the devs daily... I'll try to get everyone back together as soon as the patch finally hits. A few days more or less wont really do any harm at this point. Sorry guys!
No need to be sorry, you've led this tourney very well imo. Waiting for the patch makes sense like you ealrier said, having the patch drop in the middle of the knock out round would suck if there are gameplay adjustments. Is there any word as to what those might be?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Morphis said:
No need to be sorry, you've led this tourney very well imo. Waiting for the patch makes sense like you ealrier said, having the patch drop in the middle of the knock out round would suck if there are gameplay adjustments. Is there any word as to what those might be?

The only one I remember from the top of my head was that they changed how some of the "simulation" aspects work. That you cant order troops to walk through walls for example. Thats just a minor aspect but I actually used that to my advantage, so I'd like to know what they are actually changing before starting the next round.

fresquito

Toma said:
The only one I remember from the top of my head was that they changed how some of the "simulation" aspects work. That you cant order troops to walk through walls for example. Thats just a minor aspect but I actually used that to my advantage, so I'd like to know what they are actually changing before starting the next round.
Charging through walls is awesome. There's no way they can change that! I don't see the reason why they would!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
fresquito said:
Charging through walls is awesome. There's no way they can change that! I don't see the reason why they would!

Probably because its considered a bug. I loved doing that too, though and personally I think its just another skill to master. Nothing we can do about it if they want to change it.

MNC

I forgot if I asked or not; but is there a way to review a full match in full play? Not like, press play each turn, over again.

Toma

fresquito said:
But it is taught in the tutorial, isn't it? How can be seen as a bug?

"You are not allowed to drag units into walls during deployment." <- This was what I was referring to and was stated in the patch list for the already released non steam version of the patch.

MNC said:
I forgot if I asked or not; but is there a way to review a full match in full play? Not like, press play each turn, over again.

Open the console with ` (or ^, depending on the keyboard layout)

type:

testSnapcam();

Close the console with ` (or ^, depending on the keyboard layout)

Toma

Someone remind me to never take a time estimation from this guys serious anymore, like ever.

Toma

slaughterking said:
Still waiting for the patch. &#3232;_&#3232;

Yeah, someone remind him. And hit him on the head, so that he wont forget. Saying "this weekend" and then keep people waiting for a month without official notice is kinda boo.

I won a copy of this on SteamGifts! I had already played the demo, which itself was pretty intimidating, but at least now I was able to buy the soundtrack for it! While the soundtrack is great, it didn't need to be a Gigabyte big. My hard drive only has limited space, y'know.

Ah, the devs seem to be back from vacation...

First off, I'd like to apologise for not communicating properly about this patch.

We broke our own rule ("Don't announce something until it's nearly done; don't commit to a time unless you can hit it") with this - we'll try to stick to that in future.

The reason for the delay of the patch isn't solely that we were at PAX and away for a secondary week, but that contributed to it.

When everyone is back in the country this week, we'll sort out a proper date for the patch and discuss everything in this thread as well.

Ian has responded separately here - http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2011/09/05/our-plans-for-this-month/

I don't want people to feel in the dark - if you have any general issues which need our feedback then post in the forums.

You can always ping me on Twitter as well if something isn't getting attention - http://www.twitter.com/mode7games

If you have any suggestions of how we can improve communication in general then let me know in this thread.

I forgive them though. It's not a dev I see abandoning the game and it seems they made an honest mistake.

Toma

PjotrStroganov said:
Ah, the devs seem to be back from vacation...

I forgive him though. It's not a dev I see abandoning the game and it seems they made an honest mistake.

I'll forgive them when the patch truly hits this week. I mean, I can understand not having time for the patch if they needed a week of and were busy with other things before, but not updating anyone (except on IRC...) is well... really just a bad decision, which people are rightfully angry about.

But whatever, would love to play the game with the Steam patch finally, so here's some (small) hope for this weeks patch.

Toma

Toma said:
I'll forgive them when the patch truly hits this week. I mean, I can understand not having time for the patch if they needed a week of and were busy with other things before, but not updating anyone (except on IRC...) is well... really just a bad decision, which people are rightfully angry about.

But whatever, would love to play the game with the Steam patch finally, so here's some (small) hope for this weeks patch.

Last day of the week. Just sayin'.

Hanzou

Wait wait wait. You can make your guys walk through a wall as if it was never there. How can you guys say that should stay in. Isn't that an obvious severe exploit?

Zomo

Hanzou said:
Wait wait wait. You can make your guys walk through a wall as if it was never there. How can you guys say that should stay in. Isn't that an obvious severe exploit?

I think what they mean is walk through a wall that is going to be destroyed later in the turn but when you choose where you want your guy to move the way point is going through the wall.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame what has happened with the update. I'd love to have a reason to play this game some more.

Toma

Zomo said:
I think what they mean is walk through a wall that is going to be destroyed later in the turn but when you choose where you want your guy to move the way point is going through the wall.

Yup.

n8BitMan said:
It's a shame what has happened with the update. I'd love to have a reason to play this game some more.

And yup.

Nishastra

Banned
Hey guys, I know the tournament is sort of on an indefinite hold, but I have to withdraw.

Doesn't matter when it actually finally happens, I won't be able to participate.

Toma

Nishastra said:
Hey guys, I know the tournament is sort of on an indefinite hold, but I have to withdraw.

Doesn't matter when it actually finally happens, I won't be able to participate.

Alright, sorry to hear. :(
Good luck with whatever you are doing.

Atrophis

My copy just updated through Steam...

Wow i just logged in for the first time in months and there is 29 people on UK1 :/

They need to do a steam sale to revitalise this game.

Don't see anything either. Will probably be up soon I guess.

Seems to be the worst time possible as many tourney participants will undoubtedly be playing other games.

It's online yes. Try and reboot steam if it doesn't update.

Cipherr

cant seem to make an account for the game. Ive owned it for a while but decided just now to try it out and its hanging on me creating an account : /

Toma

Finally. Will get into more specifics and preparations tomorrow as I am going to bed now, but feel free to polish your rusty FS skills. Hopefully, we have the next round kicking alive over the weekend. More info tomorrow in this thread.

I'll inform every tourney participant tomorrow via pm, some people might have dropped out so some others might join in. Again, let you know tomorrow.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Atrophis said:
They need to do a steam sale to revitalise this game.

Or better fucking support. Indie lesson #1 from bigleagues: You have multiplayer and promise/beta a patch? That patch better be out the SAME GODDAMN MONTH as said beta patch. It's INEXCUSABLE that it's taken as long as it has.

Edit: And yes, the patch is out now. Hallelujah.

Toma

Yay, I'm awake and will look at the patch changes ingame before deciding how to create the rest of the tourney.
Friendly reminder: Patch is out!

And yes, mocking allowed for the time it took them.

Toma said:
I'll forgive them when the patch truly hits this week.
The statement with the apologies and "definitely this week" again was two weeks ago.
Btw, making way points through walls is still allowed.

Toma

Oh god, I'm dying.

The tournament feature is literally useless for us. I'll start making preparations without it as before.

Can anyone in here chime in on their forums and tell them to please add a choice for how many games each round should take? Right now you can only have one match per round, which is neither fair, nor fun. I'd do it myself, but I try getting access to their forums for a few months and I dont get the mail to validate myself. Please be nicer in that thread than I am here, otherwise posts will be ignored.

Thread:
http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3606&start=30

Additionally, why is there always 8 people in the tournament choice list, which I need to delete before adding people I want to play with?

Additionally², you really should be able to access your friends list when choosing participants for the tournament, right now you can only add people manually by writing them down before.

Additionally³, a choice whether I'd want to be added to random tournaments would be nice. So that if someone is creating a new tournament they could randomly add a certain amount of players who are online AND activated the "Yes, suggest me as randomly added player in tournaments.

I am not expecting anything at this point, but hey, the 4 people still playing in a year or something might have a decent patch out, which adds this complicated feature.

Toma

Look at the ingame tournament creation:

Starting point (Preselected players to the left, for whatever reason):
UUisr.jpg

Bracket:
Y4P5w.jpg

This is what you get when pressing "change" on a round:
0FXvR.jpg

And this is the "Generate Matchups screen on the lower left of the bracket screen:
X3Ylk.jpg

If you want to check it yourself, simply click Tournament in the multiplayer tab and advance with the preselected players. You wont create the tournament at this point.

Toma

Sorry for the quadruple post, but I just played my first game in two months... and I still love absolutely love this game. Despite my rants earlier, I really hope they get their stuff sorted at some point and actually add features suggested by the community.

Toma

Alright, this is what I got for now:

Ranked 1:
Volodja
PjotrStroganov
Fresquito
Friggles
Instro
n8bitman
Areobloust
Deraldin
Vlodril
Jigsama
The_Player
Atrophis
Rhinoceros
Dutfish
SpiritOfJazz

Ranked 2:
BigAT
tehsober
TomaLexi
Darkkn
slaughterking
Codeblue
Tygell
Doolez
TheConfidenceMan
RyanDG
Brazil
Flayer
Tegris
OldGamer

Lucky losers (which can participate despite losing in the group phase because of people dropping out):
CzarTim
snoopeasystreat
The Executive

Short rules:
Best 2 out of 3, matchups will be determined as soon as we have the full 32 player roster.
10€/$ surprise price for place 1 and 3.

I would participate in the next round if it doesn't start before the next weekend. I'm currently finishing my thesis and I'm obviously not allowing myself to play any games until it's done.

Toma

slaughterking said:
I would participate in the next round if it doesn't start before the next weekend. I'm currently finishing my thesis and I'm obviously not allowing myself to play any games until it's done.

No problem. We might get some games from other players underway before then, but no hurry. After 2 months of waiting, a few days more wont bother too much I guess.

As before, I wont be too strict on the time limit and simply would love to have everyone willing to participate on board to finish this tournament in a proper manner.

Toma

Haha, good thing I didnt use the tournament feature. The update just now removed it again.

Toma

The_Player said:
I'm here, count me in Toma. :) Ready for tactical arse kicking.
BTW, did you play Eschalon as you promised me?

Yup, definitely good recommendation. :) Played it quite a bit on an old notebook when I was on vacation as its not too tech heavy.

The animations are also surprisingly well done. Anyway, thanks for joining ;) Keep an eye on this thread over the next few days.

Top Bottom