• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

HUELEN10

Okay FurryGAF, here is the deal; I don't like you, and you don't like me. Now, I don't got nothing against y'all either, so please here me out.

Have any of you read Endtown?

http://www.gocomics.com/endtown

I have read every single one. At first, I was meh about the current arc, but I can just tell it is gonna get amazing. If you haven't read this amazing series with amazing art, I suggest you catch up now; it is incredible and won 2 /co/ awards.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Thanks, It's by an artist on Redbubble called "impyimp."

Oh here's some Zudomon fanart I found: (cropped to remove someone's digimon OC)

9Vw0CQX.jpg

I thought it was cropped because reasons

Battlechili

Banned
Oh wow. I didn't know this thread was here. Cool. Didn't know there was a furry thread. What do you guys do in here, exactly?

I have read every single one. At first, I was meh about the current arc, but I can just tell it is gonna get amazing. If you haven't read this amazing series with amazing art, I suggest you catch up now; it is incredible and won 2 /co/ awards.
Art seems kinda cool. Don't like the lack of color but I can get over it. I'll check this out. If it turns out to be as good as things like Pandemonium: Wizard Village and Zoophobia then this'll be a real treat.

Refyref

Some recent anthro works. Some feedback regarding my style and improvement would be nice to have! You can catch my stuff at:

http://mykegreywolf.deviantart.com
http://nottheponies.tumblr.com

study__michelle__i__by_mykegreywolf-d84ss47.jpg

study__michelle__ii__by_mykegreywolf-d84xcui.jpg

nat_at_the_poolside_by_mykegreywolf-d864g1r.png

I really like these.
Also, for some reason, dA is always rubbish for me, I wonder why? It wasn't like that 2~3 years ago.

Okay FurryGAF, here is the deal; I don't like you, and you don't like me. Now, I don't got nothing against y'all either, so please here me out.

Looks interesting, I'll try to get around to reading it soon.

Oh wow. I didn't know this thread was here. Cool. Didn't know there was a furry thread. What do you guys do in here, exactly?

We post a lot of art (some of it our own, as we've got several very talented people here) and discuss various anthropomorphism-related topics. We also marvel at how many new folks we've been getting recently, or at least I do. Welcome! :D

Boss Doggie

I should really join the pixiv ride on kemobara's "Valentines Day" which is essentially drawing a character in red fundoshi.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I just realized...

I don't think I have a real style yet. But I seem to be rather influenced by the art style of things that I liked as a kid.

Also, nice work on the art. I wish I could do character art as well as you.
But that's where almost all styles come from! :D

Thank you for enjoying my work. Is there something that stands out for you, positively or negatively? I could really use some thoughtful comments to help me set my priorities straight.

I really like these.
Thank you! Why these in particular? Is there something in the others that rubbed you the wrong way, is it a theme thing or a matter of technique?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If it makes you feel better, there is no fandom in existence that has a consistently high quality art output.

Boss Doggie

I don't know about you guys, but when ever I try to look up furry art, it makes me hate myself. I think the main problem is just how badly most of it is drawn.

Websites like deviantart and furraffinity are the worst.

The sad thing is that deviantart does have actual art, and some of the furry stuff is good (deviantart is where I found that Zudomon fan art.)

But most of it is so bad that I can't stand to look at it for any length on time. Oh well. Maybe if I could actually draw I could make better art.

It's normal. Just watch an artist you like or visit their site.

I don't know about you guys, but when ever I try to look up furry art, it makes me hate myself. I think the main problem is just how badly most of it is drawn.

The sad thing is that deviantart does have actual art, and some of the furry stuff is good (deviantart is where I found that Zudomon fan art.)

But most of it is so bad that I can't stand to look at it for any length on time. Oh well. Maybe if I could actually draw I could make better art.

If it makes you feel better, there is no fandom in existence that has a consistently high quality art output.

It's normal. Just watch an artist you like or visit their site.

Don't worry too much about all this, really - everyone has to start somewhere! I like to think of these sites as a bit of a place for everything, good and bad. In all kinds of definitions...

I have the opposite problem. So much of it is so damn good, it makes me hate myself. I see people with incredible ability, who've practiced longer and harder, who have better technical proficiency, that it makes me go "why bother, why honestly should I bother with my shitty art, when I'm always going to be behind the curve, always going to be worse than someone else."

Sure, I might be better than some people, but I don't *want* to be better than people who've not tried, I don't even want to be better than the people I see who produce incredible stuff. I just want to be able to make what I want to make.

So I remind myself, I still have a long way to go, and a lot more grinding to do on the skill, so it's too early to give up yet.

Side note: If all you're seeing is garbage art, you need to change your browsing habit. Garbage in = Garbage out. You *want* to find the good stuff, the inspirational stuff. When I see something that makes me go 'holy crap that's great, I'll never be able to do that', I take that as a sign that I'm inspired by it, and try to channel it into working on my own stuff.

I think your best bet is to start following artists you like on Tumblr. The problem with sites like DA and FA, is you're seeing so much all at once, and your're picking out the things that stand out, like in your case, things that annoy you. By following artists you like on Tumblr, you get a more consistent flow of things you do like. There is also the added benefit that you're more likely to see what inspires *them*, as they reblog things they like. And that's very important: not just the art you like, but seeing the things that inspired the artist themselves.

The true hero of 101 Dalmations

THIS

Thankfully never have that problem for the ones I come across in buddyfight/cfvanguard via pixiv and other reptiles.

Kater

Banned
I think you should find a lot of good artists and art if you looked through the thread here. And then you just have to search for those artists profiles or blogs and follow their work.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I have the opposite problem. So much of it is so damn good, it makes me hate myself. I see people with incredible ability, who've practiced longer and harder, who have better technical proficiency, that it makes me go "why bother, why honestly should I bother with my shitty art, when I'm always going to be behind the curve, always going to be worse than someone else."

Sure, I might be better than some people, but I don't *want* to be better than people who've not tried, I don't even want to be better than the people I see who produce incredible stuff. I just want to be able to make what I want to make.

So I remind myself, I still have a long way to go, and a lot more grinding to do on the skill, so it's too early to give up yet.
A good thing to keep in mind is that you don't actually need to be better than others to be relevant in the scene. To find your niche, what you need to do is to offer something that others can't or won't do, be it through content or style. That in itself can be an ungrateful struggle, but at least it does not depend on factors that can't be controlled, such as talent.

That being said, skill envy is powerful fuel for improvement, as long as one keeps it in check as to not allow it to consume you.

Hmm...

I probably should start working on colouring and shading a certain something that I drew recently and scanned into the laptop.

Sometimes drawing things just makes me want to get some kind of tablet, be it a drawing/graphics tablet or an actual tablet PC with pen input.

Battlechili

Banned

You should try looking for art on sites like Pixiv. While much like DA in that its not furry centric, the quality of artwork tends to be much higher and you can still find plenty of furry artwork there.
Tumblr is also pretty great once you find artists you like.
We post a lot of art (some of it our own, as we've got several very talented people here) and discuss various anthropomorphism-related topics. We also marvel at how many new folks we've been getting recently, or at least I do. Welcome! :D
Thank you! And cool. I'll probably post some art somewhere down the line then.

Refyref

You should try looking for art on sites like Pixiv. While much like DA in that its not furry centric, the quality of artwork tends to be much higher and you can still find plenty of furry artwork there.

That's not exactly correct, there's plenty of trash on Pixiv. It's just that Pixiv has an excellent recommendation system that help you discover plenty of good creations.
Unfortunately, the search feature is gimped if you don't pay a subscription, as without doing that, you can't sort by popularity, only by date.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hey all... been a long time since I posted here. I remember a while back hanging out in #EFF (I think it was?), do you guys still do that, or is there some new place?
Anyways... I drew some cats! Thought I might share.

Kater

Banned
Great work, Extollere. :3

I will probably get a new PC and a scanner next week which means that I can finallly start doing some more art. :D

At the moment all I have are my sketchbooks, pencils / watercolours and a really bad camera.

Here's a coloured sketch of mine of some bug dude.

tumblr_njsngl7Qax1s5zvkco1_400.jpg

You can find the full drawing (nsfw) and my other art on my tumblr blog.

Top Bottom