• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
GPsych said:
I'm amazed at how few votes CoD:MW2 is getting. Actually, it looks like Killzone 2 currently has it beat. I didn't vote for either game, but I didn't play MW2 as I'm burnt out on shooters. What happened with MW2? Does it suck compared to the original? It's just surprising given that it had the largest opening of any game ever with regards to sales. Obviously, sales does not equal quality, but I would figure MW2 would still put up a good showing here. I actually wonder if it will even be in the top 5...

MW2 is popular with the "mainstream/casual" gamer. I believe that reason alone is why many GAFers didn't list it.

Personally, I listed MW2 in my Top 3 mainly because of the amount of time I've spent playing it. Only "great" games garner that much of my free time. IMO, MW2 deserves to be listed by everyone who has spent many hours playing it...and continue to still play it.

GPsych

Son of Godzilla said:
It's a great game, but full of very specific flaws that ruin the experience for some people. Also GAF is full of weeaboos that can't embrace their inner bro.

Weeaboos...that's awesome. Still, I find it interesting that Killzone 2 is more than likely beating MW2. Is it the graphics? Sound design (KZ2 is amazing in this area, IMO)? Console Wars? I'm just curious why people would choose one over the other...

Yerolo

Tales of Monkey Island - 3
FIFA 10 - 2
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
GTA 4: TBOGT - 1
GTA 4: TLAD - 1
Borderlands - 1
Machinarium - 1

LosDaddie said:
MW2 is popular with the "mainstream/casual" gamer. I believe that reason alone is why many GAFers didn't list it.

Personally, I listed MW2 in my Top 3 mainly because of the amount of time I've spent playing it. Only "great" games garner that much of my free time. IMO, MW2 deserves to be listed by everyone who has spent many hours playing it...and continue to still play it.
I loved COD 4. MW2 just doesn't feel right. I don't think this is a backlash against the game's popularity. It is backlash against Infinity Ward. They did not really improve upon the first game (and I know at this point this is a subjective statement). I played all IW games since the original COD and I enjoyed Call of Duty classic on PSN more that I did MW2. I believe they chose the wrong direction.

jcm

For what it's worth, I like the voting system. It's a classic Good Better Best sorting, with the stipulation that there can be only one best, and a limited number of points. It's no more arbitrary than any other voting system.

GPsych said:
Weeaboos...that's awesome. Still, I find it interesting that Killzone 2 is more than likely beating MW2. Is it the graphics? Sound design (KZ2 is amazing in this area, IMO)? Console Wars? I'm just curious why people would choose one over the other...
Even though Killzone was largely criticized for luck of innovation MW2 managed to make the same misstep (more is not always better). To be fair I'm not voting for either game this year lol

drkOne

HiResDes said:
what the hell do you want then, a system based on decimals and not whole numbers? Again, seems awfully nitpicky for something that is suppose to be a rather fun activity.
The gap between your first and second pick last year was 1/10, this year it's 1/3. Too big to adapt to how I felt this year about my GOTY list, too many games came close to each other. But still it'd be unfair to give 5 of them a 2 and be done with it, since I didn't enjoy them all equally.

And that avatar quote made me laugh, Neuromancer, nice one!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
drkOne said:
First of all, thanks timetokill for all the effort you put on making this thread.
And I missed the locked voting thread/the reasons it was closed, so I'm not sure what happened there.
But I think the previous rules worked better. No one comes here with the "strategy vote" in mind, what would they win by doing that?
That said, this year I find myself in a position where I can either give two/more games the same amount of points, or else the difference of points between them is 2/3 or more.
Going by my list of games I was going to vote for, I can't pick a game to simply give 3, while the others will get 2 points max, the gap is too big. And I also don't find it fair to give them all the same points, because there were some I enjoyed more than others.
I won't be voting this year, and I didn't come here to boycott the thread, just thought I'd give my opinion on this year's rules.

Jesus christ this is a GOTY voting, not rocket science.
If you can't give 2 games the same points because it feels morally wrong then there is something wrong with you.
It's just games ffs. smh

botticus

drkOne said:
The gap between your first and second pick last year was 1/10, this year it's 1/3. Too big to adapt to how I felt this year about my GOTY list, too many games came close to each other. But still it'd be unfair to give 5 of them a 2 and be done with it, since I didn't enjoy them all equally.

And that avatar quote made me laugh, Neuromancer, nice one!
Then just list the ones you enjoyed the most? I mean, if you're able to separate them by saying you wouldn't rank them all equally, shouldn't it be easy to exclude the ones on the bottom of your list?

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not planning on voting because this thread really hasn't been executed well. Sorry to anyone involved.

No one was voting strategically last year. The voting was fair, the results were fair. This year we've had a mid-thread locking, unlocking, and rules change, a bunch of people are going to have to revote, and the resulting system doesn't provide any real improvement from last year's.

Really? You get ten points, and you get to give one game 3 points and distribute your other seven by giving other games from one to two points each or if you want you can split the 3 points into multiple games but if you do that every game has to get two points or one point? *shrugs*

Seconded (thirded or fourthed probably).

GhaleonQ

LosDaddie said:

I don't think it's anything that sinister. It's not as if Call Of Duty fans would automatically jump to Half-Minute Hero. They were just given a lot of great 2nd choices this year in the 3-d action and shooter genres, so it makes sense that the game would bleed votes. If an amazing, console JRPG comes out next year, I bet the same will happen to Final Fantasy XIII.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
:lol wow it seems PS3 is going to dominate this list. Well it was obvious beforehand that Uncharted 2 is going to win, but I am surprised that the other PS3 exclusives are doing this well. Anyway my list:

Uncharted 2 - 3 pts
Batman: AA - 2 pts
Infamous - 2 pts
Dragon Age; O - 2 pts
PES 2010 - 1 pts

LosDaddie

Banned
roman2003h said:
I loved COD 4. MW2 just doesn't feel right. I don't think this is a backlash against the game's popularity. It is backlash against Infinity Ward. They did not really improve upon the first game (and I know at this point this is a subjective statement). I played all IW games since the original COD and I enjoyed Call of Duty classic on PSN more that I did MW2. I believe they chose the wrong direction.

People were expecting too much from MW2, IMO. The game was never meant to be the giant leap forward like how CoD4 was a giant leap from CoD2.

It's called Modern Warfare 2 for a reason. It's an iteration upon the (highly successful) CoD4 formula.

All I wanted from MW2 was co-op and a re-balanced MP. IW delivered on that, IMO.

theluma

So difficult!

NSMBWii - 2 points
Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2 points
Rhythm Paradise (Heaven) - 2 points
Uncharted 2 - 1 point
Batman AA - 1 point
Wii Sports Resort - 1 point
Infamous - 1 point

IM SO SORRY ASSASSINS CREED BUT I HAVENT HAD TIME TO PLAY YOU MUCH YET.

Forgive me. You too Mario and Luigi 3. And FIFA 10.

Really struggled to decide between NSMBWii and Spirit Tracks :( Both deserve it!

EDIT: Screw this, things have been changed.

Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2 points
NSMB Wii - 3 points
Uncharted 2 - 2 points
Batman AA - 1 point
Assassin's Creed: 1 point
Demon's Soul: 1 point

Big-E

Dragon Age: Origins - 2 pts

Uncharted 2 - 2 pts

Torchlight - 2 pts

Killzone 2 - 1 pt

Borderlands - 1 pt

Shadow Complex - 1 pt

Flower - 1 pt

LosDaddie

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
I don't think it's anything that sinister.

yeah, I probably over-simplified there a bit. But I've been following the Official MW2 thread since launch and many have complained about MW2 only being for "TEH CASUAL" gamers.

KajunW

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 3 pts
Street Fighter IV - 2 pts
Legend of Zelda: The Spirit Tracks - 1 pt
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 1 pt
Punch Out Wii - 1 pt
Scribblenauts - 1 pt
Wii Sports Resort - 1 pt

kamspy

Dragon Age - 3
Infamous - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1
Ass Creed 2 - 1
Cryostasis - 1
Street Fighter IV - 1
Batman - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1

GPsych said:
I'm amazed at how few votes CoD:MW2 is getting. Actually, it looks like Killzone 2 currently has it beat. I didn't vote for either game, but I didn't play MW2 as I'm burnt out on shooters. What happened with MW2? Does it suck compared to the original? It's just surprising given that it had the largest opening of any game ever with regards to sales. Obviously, sales does not equal quality, but I would figure MW2 would still put up a good showing here. I actually wonder if it will even be in the top 5...

- Story is incoherent and utterly implausible, whereas CoD 4's was fairly reasonable and quite hard-hitting. Thus, the SP is seen by quite a few as a loss.
- Multiplayer has a lot of glitches/exploits, at least it seems there is enough angst about this to color people's perceptions.
- The PC debacle probably colored people's perceptions, too.
That would be my guess.

Des0lar said:
People making a big deal about a freakin' GAF GOTY voting are killing me.

Yeah I think people making too big of an issue out of this. No system is perfect but I can live with this. Funny thing is I couldn't even think of what to do with all 10 points. Often I don't get around to playing a game until the year after, which to me is the biggest flaw with any system we've had. I wish I could retro-actively vote games for 2008 GOTY now.

Sanchito

This IS really tough.. here we go...

Uncharted 2 - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
Infamous - 2
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Killzone 2 - 1

Wow.. I am not a sony fanboy.. I own all three systems. Just thinking of the most fun I had with games this year, all of them were on my PS3. Weird! Also I didn't and won't touch Dragon Age till next year, otherwise, I'd probably have it on the list.

Fredescu

Having slept on it, I think the issue with the new system isn't to do with how the end result will turn out, but rather with the reduction of input from the community. Making and ordering a top 10 for the year is a tradition that people have developed a personal attachment to, and something that a lot Gaffers think about all year. This year we've been told that less of our opinion matters. With this system, if you make a full top ten, the order doesn't mean anything. If you want to weight it towards your favourite games, you get less choice.

I don't think anyone would have had an issue if an ordered top ten was still possible. Say you allowed a total of 55 points like the old system did, but you could optionally weight it so your highest got an extra point and your last two got one point each. This new system results in smaller lists and less input. Whether this system results in a more accurate overall list is irrelevant. You can't reduce the input from the community and not expect a backlash.

Mar_ said:
Edit: And look! Now you've made Fredescu sad. This thread breaks hearts :(
I am sad that three great games don't count for anything when they would have in years past.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'l use sample ballot #2, then.

Forza Motorsport 3 - 3
Tekken 6 - 2
Harley Davidson: King of the Road - 1
Guitar Hero Arcade - 1
H2Overdrive - 1
OutRun Online Arcade - 1
Big Buck Hunter Pro: Open Season - 1

AndyD

aka andydumi
Uncharted 2- 3 Points
Killzone 2- 2 points
Infamous- 2 point
Batman AA - 1 point
Demons Souls - 1 point
Dragon Age PC - 1 point

ggd210

3.- Street Fihter IV
2.- Zelda Spirit Tracks
2.- Wii Fit plus
2.- New Super mario bros wii
1.- Wii Sport Resorts

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
3 Points
Dragon Age: Origins

2 Points
Torchlight

1 Point: In No Particular Order
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Uncharted 2
Gratuitous Space Battles
AI War: Fleet Command
Tales of Monkey Island

Still a few games I would like to play that I haven't had a chance to, including Red Faction: Guerrilla, Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, Trine (finishing it), Machinarium, and Risen. I doubt it would of changed up anything except maybe my 1 point votes. I really enjoyed Dragon Age and Torchlight so I doubt anything would bump them.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 3
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2
Wii Sports Resort - 1
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - 1
Boom Box Bash Party - 1
Dawn of Discovery - 1
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom