• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

siddx said:
Fuck gaga, and fuck madonna too.

Anyways, my timelines

Ok sorry my attention span is too short to do this anymore right now. Maybe ill do more later
Awesome. I have a spreadsheet going, so whenever someone posts/updates with more I'll just throw them in there.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Macca007 said:
Awesome. I have a spreadsheet going, so whenever someone posts/updates with more I'll just throw them in there.
Aw dude if you could make that spreed sheet on google docs. And share with gaf hop. I would love you. But if you can't it's k =P

njean777 said:
Been listening to this a lot lately. Really love the beats.

grieves-togetherapart-cover_1.jpg
Needs to be reposted.

iavi

ChldRebelSoldr said:
My 2nd favorite hip-hop chick is still this.

Thank you Miri for introducing me to her. Too bad I know nothing about her. :(

Haha, she's your second fav too? I gotta say, I don't think anybody will ever take Esther's place in my videogirlcrushing heart.

Also, no prob, bro.

+1

Macca

coldvein said:
just revisiting cudi's man on the moon right now. what a record. cudi zone? soundtrack to my life? fuuuuck.
I was listening to it earlier today. Damn, when that shit came out Up, Up and Away was my wake up song for like a year.

coldvein

Banned
overcast said:
Agreed. Too bad Cudi went and changed in the wrong way for us.

yeah.. but i'm not even mad. that first record was a fucking diamond. he's got my respect forever, for making that. i do love it for it's pure artistic merit, but it also accompanied me through pretty much the darkest time of my life. so, yeah.

I'll take a stab at this as well.

Rank Kanye's albums:

MBDTF (His coming full circle album imo)
College Dropout (his most hiphop album imo)
Graduation (His most commercial/commercial success album imo)
Late Registration (His most musically creative album Sonically speaking.... imo)
808s and Heartbreaks. (His most innovative/artistic/creative/experimental album imo)

They are all really close to each other, cause I love them all, and i view them all differently as you can see in the parenthesis. So it's hard to rank em for me personally, but if I had to rank them, that's how I would do it, but 808s being at the bottom doesn't mean I think its weak or anything.

Pick a coast to rep:
East

Pick a side in the Biggie/2Pac discussion:
Biggie was a doper emcee, Pac was a better rapper and had better presence/flow/delivery. but lyrically? Biggie killed Pac. Can't really pick between the two, because I prefer Wu and Boot camp over both during that period.

Make a comparison between Khalifa and something soft:

Softer than Chris Bosh after a Loss.

Decide who you think won the Jay-Z/Nas beef:

Jay lost Period. Nas won the battle. The whole life thing doesn't apply, because the Jay-z/Nas battle is just the Jay-z/Nas battle. It's an isolated issue. There are so many factors afterwards that had nothing to do with Jay-z Vs. Nas that changed both of their lives. People will say Jay won the war, but it's kind of ridiculous being that Jay and Nas are friends now. There was no war to be won. Totally different scenarios.

Flocka or Royce?
Royce all day....one of the illest emcees ever...however...I think he was WAY iller pre eminem/d12 beef. he lost some of his lyricism that made him a cut above the rest.
Flocka is a joke as an emcee.

What you think of J. Cole?
a great emcee and great producer. Could be the Next Kanye minus all the outside drama which is something I welcome. As long as he consistently continues to make good music, he will be Kanye 2.0.....cause he's much better lyrically than Ye.

Who is the best Wu-Tang member?
This is very very hard to say....because over the course of their dominant run in the 90s.....Different members became the best at different points.

I have to say Initially...Method man was the best....

In between Tical and OB4CL...Rza became super dope (with the gravediggaz and everything).

OB4CL and on....Ghost face was the best

Then came Wu Forever....and Raekwon destroyed everyone.

Then After that Ghostface came back out to be the best...

Currently...meth is killing all of them. dude made a stupid fucking song about sour patch kids and still killed it. He continues to impress these days....Im thinkin Joey had something to do with him doing extra well...feel like meth feels he got something to prove.

Can 2pac rap? (Or do Biggie got DAT FLOW?)
answered this already but yea 2pac can rap....2pac had a legendary flow/delivery/presence......Biggie was a much much MUCH better lyricist tho.

Rate Lupe on a scale of 1-10 (+ call him a dumbass for Lasers and political views):
11!
Can't hate the brother lupe.....He is an emcee's emcee tho....I think pre-lasers he went over alot of people's heads. I'm not gonna lie, he dumbed it down a bit on lasers...ironically...after making a song called dumb it down. but I can't hate on the brother...lupe can do no wrong in my eyes unless he makes some real bullshit.

Lil B? Genius or mentally challenged?
Mentally fucking challenged.....but some of his beats impress.

Pick an era of Eminem:
Marshall Mathers Lp by far is his best album.

How does Drake write such deep lyrics?
Drake is dope, Can't hate....but the best thing out of canada is The Weeknd by far.

Is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production?
Nas is still dope as shit.....In regards to production, I think he is hit or miss...He will pick some amazing ass beats...then go and pick some of the worst beats...all on the same album.

Joe Budden: Introspective and witty, or annoying emo fetus killing asshole?
Introspective and witty by far. I hate judging an emcee as an emcee, based off of his off record antics. thus, musically speaking, he is introspective, witty, and dope.

coldvein

Banned
what i meant to say was that "regionalism" in music, in hiphop, is dying, if not already dead. i know that some of you may disagree.

IrishNinja

certain areas tend to trend & bring certain sounds - there's something distinct from the bay area that i didnt hear hear in miami or ATL. texas influenced shit a lot the last decade or so, while NY used to bring some of that jazz + boom bap i dig.

i don't see anything illogical about noticing this and commenting on it. when you study jazz, for instance, the history is often broken up by periods & regions. shit can be academic, doesn't have to be about colors & beef & shit no one cares about anymore.

overcast

coldvein said:
what i meant to say was that "regionalism" in music, in hiphop, is dying, if not already dead. i know that some of you may disagree.
I think it's dead. There is no "need" to rep a coast. It's just for fun.

coldvein

Banned
i understand it's just in fun, part of the silly questionnaire. i just don't think it's real anymore. i can't think of one artistic element that exists in hiphop on the west coast that doesn't exist in the east, or in the midwest that doesn't exist in the south, etc.

IrishNinja

okay.

so hyphy, black hippy, white girl mob, oddfuture, kendrick lamar, all of this could've come up out of montana, or west virgina, right?

coldvein

Banned
IrishNinja said:
okay.

so hyphy, black hippy, white girl mob, oddfuture, kendrick lamar, all of this could've come up out of montana, or west virgina, right?

i know two of the artists (groups) that you mentioned, so i'm not really qualified to give a precise and informed response. that said..

i understand that where somebody comes from plays a big part in how they identify themselves.. one raps about what one knows. so no, kendrick lamar couldn't have come out of montana. brief aside: as far as hiphop actually created in montana, there is jack shit to talk about. i'm from there, i know.

but could somebody who sounds like kendrick lamar come out of montana, or west virginia? sure. could they make/have similar beats? sure. a similar sound? absolutely. they'd have different stories to tell, they'd drop the names of different streets. that's about it.

my main point here is that there isn't one sound that belongs to one place anywhere anymore. there isn't something that "only west coast rappers do" or "only east coast rappers do" or whatever.

overcast

IrishNinja said:
okay.

I think besides hyphy most of those groups can come out of other places. Black hippy has Schoolboy (slightly) and Jay Rock (obvious "west" sound).

TheOddOne

peterb0y said:
M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-MMMMMMMAYBACH MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If the whole album has this fucking piece of shit sample then the album is mediocure. This is worse then the Murder Inc namedropping back in the day.

Looking at the tracklisting, Pill is nowhere to be seen.

GamerSoul

coldvein said:
just revisiting cudi's man on the moon right now. what a record. cudi zone? soundtrack to my life? fuuuuck.

wooooah wtf?, I just did that it yesterday! It still holds up well, I would've posted about it but I had to write a paper all night. Soundtrack to my life, cudi zone, sky might fall, heart of a lion, they're all good.

GamerSoul

IrishNinja said:
certain areas tend to trend & bring certain sounds - there's something distinct from the bay area that i didnt hear hear in miami or ATL. texas influenced shit a lot the last decade or so, while NY used to bring some of that jazz + boom bap i dig.

i don't see anything illogical about noticing this and commenting on it. when you study jazz, for instance, the history is often broken up by periods & regions. shit can be academic, doesn't have to be about colors & beef & shit no one cares about anymore.

I'm agreeing with this. Eventhough it doesn't really matter anymore because many artists work with evey other artist and producer, there are still some distinct sounds from different areas. Like Big KRIT. Some of his tracks/beats just sound just like old southern stuff which would probably reflect his upbringing and what he related to music wise.

CRS

coldvein said:
my main point here is that there isn't one sound that belongs to one place anywhere anymore. there isn't something that "only west coast rappers do" or "only east coast rappers do" or whatever.
I think there still is. It's been mentioned but I haven't seen one example of hyphy music outside of the Bay Area and I haven't heard Southern Rap outside of well... the South.

hubes said:
yeah its ashame MOTM2 was lasers
MotM 2 is better than Lasers.

kamspy

I told GAF HOP not to give up on Wale. Bam. Dude just dropped a really nice album. Ambition is a perfect title.

People saying J.Cole is the next Kanye West should be LOL'd out of GAF HOP. Fuckoutta here. Cole is a fruit. Easy candidate for worst MC of 2011.

I was chillin at the Apple Store in Fayetenam
At the Genius Bar trying to get my Leopard on
Then the struggle hit me and left me with a sad face
my iPhone dropped and now there's glass all over the damn place
can you feel my pain it's young simba on the track
tell those other disney characters to move out and fall back

joelseph

669158523405-300x300.jpg

Jonwayne
The Death of Andrew

Label: Alpha Pup Records
Release Date: Oct-25-2011

Los Angeles beatmaker and Low End Theory favorite Jonwayne returns with The Death of Andrew, a compact release that underscores the young producer's undeniable ear for crafting catchy melodies into multiple layers of sound and emotion.

Sharp drops, deep kicks and heavy synths are found throughout The Death of Andrew, whose six tracks display a diverse sampling of Jonwayne's talent. Lead single "King" plunges far into the fathoms with a foreboding rhythm, illuminated by a lighthearted melody and chopped-in vocals. Soft piano work introduces "Andrew's Dead," a hypnotic track that twists upwards with a hard edge, while the jam "Pillars of Sand" delivers a paranoid feeling of funk.

From the languid dreamstate of "Eulogy" to the 8-bit dance of "Escape," The Death of Andrew is comprised of appealing tunes that feature Jonwayne's keen ability to manipulate memorable hooks and growing finesse with the beat.

1. King
2. Andrew's Dead
3. Eulogy
4. Pillars of Sand
5. Escape
6. Immobile

Listen/Purchase (Boomkat)

Kaizer

Banned
IrishNinja said:
okay.

I think it all depends on the artist, for instance, technically J.Cole is from the South, repping Carolina, but I totally don't get that "Southern Rap" feel from his music. There's definitely still alot of rappers/musicians out there who are significantly influenced by their place of origin, but with the way music is produced and can be accessed these days from computers, Ye & Jay making songs like Niggas in Paris or Wale switching lanes to more hood beats can be executed easily.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
I told GAF HOP not to give up on Wale. Bam. Dude just dropped a really nice album. Ambition is a perfect title.

People saying J.Cole is the next Kanye West should be LOL'd out of GAF HOP. Fuckoutta here. Cole is a fruit. Easy candidate for worst MC of 2011.

LMAO@ Kampsy trolling. Its not even debates with you anymore, your trolling people now. That or you have the intelligence of a 10 year old. Im not sure what one it is, i don't think i care to either. Go back to your bricksquad and leave the real music to those with at least somewhat reasonable taste. Brrrrrrr

Edit: And get out of here with your dick sucking on Wale. A lot of people here have been Wale fans since A Mixtape about Nothing, don't act like you've been defending dude against a tidal wave of hate. Dude hasn't dropped a dud yet.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
the real music

-in reference to J.Cole-

It's rough at the Genius Bar man. Shit. Folks don't even know. Think about the struggle people had when they're iPhone 4 didn't have enough bars. People were pouring out 40oz of organic peach juice and shit. I'm not trying to undermine that pain. Shit. It's rough out there.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
-in reference to J.Cole-

It's rough at the Genius Bar man. Shit. Folks don't even know. Think about the struggle people had when they're iPhone 4 didn't have enough bars. People were pouring out 40oz of organic peach juice and shit. I'm not trying to undermine that pain. Shit. It's rough out there.

I think you are trying to be clever, but, you come off pathetic. This is the new "eminem is a puppet controlled by Jimmy Iovine" shit now isn't it? Every time you post you drop to a new low. Go back to idolizing drug dealers, wishing you were something more.

Edit: Im out, i don't like dealing with children anymore than necessary. I think Kampsy let his kids on his account, no way a grown man can be so god damn stupid.

joelseph

DJ Intel - Portishead Mini-Mix

All Mine - Portishead
Only You - Portishead
Ike's Rap II - Isaac Hayes
Glory Box - Portishead
Humming - Portishead
Time Has Come (Portishead Remix) - UNKLE
Undenied - Portishead
Seven Months - Portishead
Revenge Of The Number Remix - Portishead
Elysium - Portishead
Wandering Star - Portishead
Mysterons - Portishead
Easy - Aesop Rock
Strangers - Portishead
Pedestal - Portishead
Danube Incident - Lalo Schifrin
Airbus Reconstruction - Portishead

Recon

Banned
Ambition is average. If your gonna have features, make them good. Neyo? Big Sean? Meek Mill? Lloyd? Cudi was the best feature. Also, Lotus Flower Bomb? Holy shit thats Drake level of stupid.

kamspy

Meek Mill throws away better albums than Sideline Story. How you gonna hate on Meek?

And yo, Wale knows how to work the Lloyd feature with the best of em. He's good for those chick jams.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Meek Mill throws away better albums than Sideline Story. How you gonna hate on Meek?

And yo, Wale knows how to work the Lloyd feature with the best of em. He's good for those chick jams.

You are pathetic. Meek Mill is trash, these features are ass compared to Attention Deficit. Also, production is not as good as Attention Deficit. I love Wale, but either this grows on me, or its tied with Back To The Feature as his worst release yet. With you praising this, and trashing Sideline(which you initially claimed to really like), this shows how bias you are to Cole. This is like Sideline Story:Miami Edition W/Shit Features and sub-par production. Lyrics are not better than Coles debut, and Lotus Flower Bomb is epic levels of stupid.

DominoKid

kamspy said:

lmao. that shit turrible.

anyway wale back. ambition >>>>> cole world. dreamchasers is better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom