• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Top 5 for me as of now (Waiting on that Common though)

1. Undun
2. Radioactive
3rd Equal. White Jesus
3rd Equal. R4
5. Finally Famous

Close:

WTT
Take Care
Travis Barker
Beastie Boys.

I gave undun a listen on the (legal) stream that was released a week back.

Then listened to it again, straight away.

And then one more time.

I cant remember the last album that ever made me want to do that without allowing for a day or so of distance.

It's not that it has a major standout track for me (although several are great). Heck, the singing isnt brilliant at times either.

But the fact that, as others have said, it's so cohesive. It's whole. A batch of actual songs, made into a finely tuned album. Not a group of singles stuck together or even a bunch of tracks with a bit of filler. Every track feels like it serves the purpose of the album (how many hip hop albums can you say does that?). Even the instrumentals at the end are a bittersweet end to the entire theme.

For me, it's one of the few hip hop albums in recent times that has a pervasive sound to it - it ebbs and flows, tells the story it wants to tell and gets the fuck out before you feel it overstays its welcome.

An album about death that values time. Beautiful album, and - if there were any doubts - cements The Roots as one of the most consistent and intelligent groups out there, especially in hip hop.

Macca

And then one more time.

I cant remember the last album that ever made me want to do that without allowing for a day or so of distance.

It's not that it has a major standout track for me (although several are great). Heck, the singing isnt brilliant at times either.

But the fact that, as others have said, it's so cohesive. It's whole. A batch of actual songs, made into a finely tuned album. Not a group of singles stuck together or even a bunch of tracks with a bit of filler. Every track feels like it serves the purpose of the album (how many hip hop albums can you say does that?). Even the instrumentals at the end are a bittersweet end to the entire theme.

For me, it's one of the few hip hop albums in recent times that has a pervasive sound to it - it ebbs and flows, tells the story it wants to tell and gets the fuck out before you feel it overstays its welcome.

An album about death that values time. Beautiful album, and - if there were any doubts - cements The Roots as one of the most consistent and intelligent groups out there, especially in hip hop.
I fully agree. Make My is such an amazing song. It's just so... warm? It makes me feel at home, it's the kind of music you can just put on and feel a little bit happier. Not at all what I expected from this album.

AnkitT

Gaf-hop heads, help me out! Been out of the loop of the rap scene this year. Any recommendations of good albums this year?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Been listening to B.o.B's new mixtape and really like it. Not sure where Gaf stands on him, but I knew nothing about him prior to his first album, and ended up really loving it, even if it was pop infused hip hop. He leans more to the hip hop side on the mixtape, and it looks like he will do the same on his upcoming cd. Was looking at the Wiki page for it and he has some killer artists lined up.

Confirmed tracks

"5 on the Kush" (featuring Big K.R.I.T. and Bun B) (produced by 2 Much)
"Arenas" (featuring T.I.) (Produced by AD)
"Boom Bap" (featuring T.I. and Mos Def) (produced by Nottz)
"Circles"
"MJ" (featuring Nelly) (produced by Jim Jonsin)
"Play the Guitar" (featuring André 3000)
"So Good" (featuring Ryan Tedder) (produced by Ryan Tedder)
"So Hard to Breathe" (produced by B.o.B)
"Strange Clouds" (featuring Lil Wayne) (produced by Dr. Luke and Cirkut)
"Airbone(featuring Drake & Kanye West)(Produced by Boi-1da & Kanye West)

JackEtc

hz0U7.gif

Recon

Banned
Been listening to B.o.B's new mixtape and really like it. Not sure where Gaf stands on him, but I knew nothing about him prior to his first album, and ended up really loving it, even if it was pop infused hip hop. He leans more to the hip hop side on the mixtape, and it looks like he will do the same on his upcoming cd. Was looking at the Wiki page for it and he has some killer artists lined up.

Confirmed tracks

"5 on the Kush" (featuring Big K.R.I.T. and Bun B) (produced by 2 Much)
"Arenas" (featuring T.I.) (Produced by AD)
"Boom Bap" (featuring T.I. and Mos Def) (produced by Nottz)
"Circles"
"MJ" (featuring Nelly) (produced by Jim Jonsin)
"Play the Guitar" (featuring André 3000)
"So Good" (featuring Ryan Tedder) (produced by Ryan Tedder)
"So Hard to Breathe" (produced by B.o.B)
"Strange Clouds" (featuring Lil Wayne) (produced by Dr. Luke and Cirkut)
"Airbone(featuring Drake & Kanye West)(Produced by Boi-1da & Kanye West)

5 on the Kush was great. Boom Bap was only ok, imo. Strange Clouds was fire too, best wayne verse in a long time. Airborne looks good for the features. I really hope Strange Clouds is a good follow up. Kinda odd he put 3 mix tape cuts on his album, should of saved them so they were fresh.

So I finally gave in and listened to Finally Famous.

I have to say I'm a fan. The quality of the production is so incredibly high, its extremely impressive. I like it. My problem is with Big Sean. He's so corny, just so EHHHHH. His flow is ok but his lyrics. Its just like...smh. I have some songs of the album on my ipod, but there were also some where I just had to delete them, I just couldnt listen to him.

Jay Sosa

And then one more time.

good to hear. ive been criticizing for some time now that only a few artist still know how to put together an album and not just a compilation of good to great songs.

Esch

Banned
I'm almost hesitant on listening to Spiritual State. Don't want to realize that Nujabes is actually dead and won't hear anything from him ever again. I didn't finish Samurai Champloo for the same exact reason, not wanting it to end.

Damn. :(

No, just listen to it man. If hydeout wasnt sold out right now thered be a copy at my doorstep.

Esch

Banned
this is why computer gamers get called jerks. or people with over blown egos. seriously its like your still mad from last year when uncharted 2 topped the charts.

/late response

Nah, you make the mistake of thinking that PC gamers really care about console sales. We are like Nietzsche's overman, we register your presence but do not dispense our energy upon you poor souls in any form but conquest and contempt.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
So I finally gave in and listened to Finally Famous.

I have to say I'm a fan. The quality of the production is so incredibly high, its extremely impressive. I like it. My problem is with Big Sean. He's so corny, just so EHHHHH. His flow is ok but his lyrics. Its just like...smh. I have some songs of the album on my ipod, but there were also some where I just had to delete them, I just couldnt listen to him.
what could take you so long.

Recon

Banned
Nah, you make the mistake of thinking that PC gamers really care about console sales. We are like Nietzsche's overman, we register your presence but do not dispense our energy upon you poor souls in any form but conquest and contempt.

Lol. The fact is, Steam is the only thing i need. My PC is now a Steam Console. I love it.

Esch

Banned
Lol. The fact is, Steam is the only thing i need. My PC is now a Steam Console. I love it.

Actually, Steam's dominance is one of the things I hate the most about modern PC gaming.... It's too much. I like the PC gamesphere as a free market. Valve fuck too much up. Like forcing me to patch Skyrim with their shitty DRM. The best thing about the PC platform is the freedom it gives the player to alter the experience to his or her liking. The less thats compromised on any level, the better.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
but i am a PC gamer and i ve seen other people take the tittle "master race" way too seriously. that's actually one of the reasons why i barely go into gaming anymore.
/gaming

so i am just starting to listen to undun. i like what i hear.

Macca

Fuck you "computer" guys are all mad. Fucking Uncharted 2 came out in 2009, and topped the charts in 2010! You PC gamers gotta be salty.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fuck you "computer" guys are all mad. Fucking Uncharted 2 came out in 2009, and topped the charts in 2010! You PC gamers gotta be salty.

What's that? Oh, sorry. To busy playing 5 dollar AAA games and Skyrim with mods. Enjoy paying for all your DLC, guys!

Esch

Banned
but i am a PC gamer and i ve seen other people take the tittle "master race" way too seriously. that's actually one of the reasons why i barely go into gaming anymore.
/gaming

Sure, sure. I dont mind the aggressive push of the PC platform though. It's just objectively better when you get down to the nitty gritty of it, for people who really like games at least. It might be one of the only really founded platforms of fanboyism out there. Half of those guys are miffed console players who realised they could play the lion's share of games on even a decent PC with better performance. Not hard to see when you consider how consoles are this generation compared to the last, IMO.

Why would I be. I like Uncharted quite a bit, and own a PS3 myself. Plus i just dont give a fuck about game sales except that I want games I like to do well so the developers can stay profitable. That's all.

Recon

Banned
Read Complex's post. He said it best. PC gamers are salty that somehow Uncharted 2 topped some charts in the year it didn't even release. It's the power of the PS3™.

Again, why would anyone be salty about how well a game did? Seems kind of childish. I can play Skyrim and other games at 1080p+ with everything on ultra. Im happy with that fact. I rather not play console games at sub 720p.

Macca

Again, why would anyone be salty about how well a game did? Seems kind of childish. I can play Skyrim and other games at 1080p+ with everything on ultra. Im happy with that fact. I rather not play console games at sub 720p.
I'm being sarcastic. Uncharted 2 didn't top anything last year.

Esch

Banned
Speaking of which, you guys done any modding in your Skyrims yet? I've done the better faces and bodies, but i'm not really willing to commit to an environment solution as of right now. The new ENB series for skyrim looks pretty dope, definitely the tonemapping and HDR are tweaked nicely even at this early stage, and the newer videos have SSAO in them(also nudity, so i didn't post them :3).

Recon

Banned
Speaking of which, you guys done any modding in your Skyrims yet? I've done the better faces and bodies, but i'm not really willing to commit to an environment solution as of right now. The new ENB series for skyrim looks pretty dope, definitely the tonemapping and HDR are tweaked nicely even at this early stage, and the newer videos have SSAO in them(also nudity, so i didn't post them :3).

I am about 30 hours in, i think im going to finish the game before modding. Which might be a long ass time from now, only main quest i have completed is the 7,000 steps to the greybeards quest.

Esch

Banned
I am about 30 hours in, i think im going to finish the game before modding. Which might be a long ass time from now, only main quest i have completed is the 7,000 steps to the greybeards quest.

Finishing the game is a pretty loose concept right now. I'd say finish the main quest soon, restart with a new char and mods. I do that with pretty much every new elder scrolls though, because you never know what skills will be the most fun or useful until you play the shit out of it.

I loveee Skyrims though. That moment when you break out of Helgen in the beginning and the world opens up to you is just amazing. There are minor complaints, like the dragons being dummies, smithing and enchanting making the game pretty easy, and a lack of really stellar loot, but in almost every other way it's incredible. Even the default graphics aren't bad, with a few tweaks.

Recon

Banned
Finishing the game is a pretty loose concept right now. I'd say finish the main quest soon, restart with a new char and mods. I do that with pretty much every new elder scrolls though, because you never know what skills will be the most fun or useful until you play the shit out of it.

I loveee Skyrims though. That moment when you break out of Helgen in the beginning and the world opens up to you is just amazing. There are minor complaints, like the dragons being dummies, smithing and enchanting making the game pretty easy, and a lack of really stellar loot, but in almost every other way it's incredible. Even the default graphics aren't bad, with a few tweaks.

I havnt done any smithing or enchanting because i heard it makes the game a cakewalk.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've played so much Skyrim, I'm looking for the right beat to make a song called Skyrim.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Dues Ex was disappointing as hell.
Uncharted was a fancy climbing simulator with a scyfy channel quality movie spliced in.

Batman and Skyrim are the only two games I didn't regret buying this year. Everything else either could have been a rental or not played at all. I do find myself having a harder and harder time enjoying games though. Used to be I could play even a shitty game and enjoy it to some degree, now I have a hard time focusing on anything that isn't AAA caliber. I played LA Noir for about 10 minutes, put it back in it's sleeve and sent it back to Gamefly.

As far as hip hop, thanks for that getoboys mix ace, I'm loving it.

And I finally found the time to listen to Action Bronson's Bon Appetite. Great stuff, I always liked action but hadn't heard enough to call myself a fan, I'm definitely one now. Despite the protests from some on gaf, he really does sound Ghostface... but more enjoyable (oh shit I just said that didn't I?).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dues Ex was disappointing as hell.
Uncharted was a fancy climbing simulator with a scyfy channel quality movie spliced in.

Batman and Skyrim are the only two games I didn't regret buying this year. Everything else either could have been a rental or not played at all. I do find myself having a harder and harder time enjoying games though. Used to be I could play even a shitty game and enjoy it to some degree, now I have a hard time focusing on anything that isn't AAA caliber. I played LA Noir for about 10 minutes, put it back in it's sleeve and sent it back to Gamefly.

As far as hip hop, thanks for that getoboys mix ace, I'm loving it.

And I finally found the time to listen to Action Bronson's Bon Appetite. Great stuff, I always liked action but hadn't heard enough to call myself a fan, I'm definitely one now. Despite the protests from some on gaf, he really does sound Ghostface... but more enjoyable (oh shit I just said that didn't I?).

Agreed on almost all accounts
Skyrim is the dopeness.... I got Saint's Row on deck as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom