• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
I've only heard Beacon and the other single. Beats are interesting. I like em. Dessa verses are listenable almost as a novelty. But then the other MCs just come in and put me to sleep. Really bland voices and deliveries. It's just not my genre. I'm not really hating, just not participating. The Cecil Otter picture, well, that really caught me off guard last night.

fair enough. what about his picture caught you off guard, though?

Recon

Banned
I honestly dont know anyone in Doomtree besides Dessa. But i was playing their albums on spotify last night while playing some games, and i really enjoyed them.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That Cecil track on the website (Rebel Yellow) is pretty dope. But heres a shocker...I actually agree with kam to some degree, a lot of the rappers on doomtree are a little bland imo. Great production, some incredible writers, but as rappers, quite a few of them are dull.

coldvein

Banned
I honestly dont know anyone in Doomtree besides Dessa. But i was playing their albums on spotify last night while playing some games, and i really enjoyed them.

really? doomtree is more of a collective than an actual group.. this is their second "crew" record. dessa's solo stuff is great (as you know), POS' entire catalogue is mindblowing, cecil's record (rebel yellow) rules, SIMS newest (bad time zoo, which came out earlier this year) is incredible. check 'em out.

Recon

Banned
really? doomtree is more of a collective than an actual group.. this is their second "crew" record. dessa's solo stuff is great (as you know), POS' entire catalogue is mindblowing, cecil's record (rebel yellow) rules, SIMS newest (bad time zoo, which came out earlier this year) is incredible. check 'em out.

I know what doomtree is. I just havnt listened to anyone but Dessa. Isnt this their 3rd album though? I was listening to 2 albums on Spotify( False Hopes and Doomtree).

PBY

Banned
No, but it isnt a official crew album, even though that is basically what it is.

POS's Never Better was in my top 5 for 2009- you shd definitely check that out.
never-better.jpg

^this is what pos looks like btw kam.

kamspy

POS's Never Better was in my top 5 for 2009- you shd definitely check that out.
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/image-library/port/376/n/never-better.jpMG]
^this is what pos looks like btw kam.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to say it was [I]all[/I] about image. I fucks with Danny Brown and Tyler pretty hard.

I did YT POS- Never Better and it's pretty dope.

EDIT: Just YT'd some more POS. Sometimes he raps like he has a side part.

PBY

Banned
My top 5 this year, well see what Common's album does to this list:
1. WTT
2. No Kings (if i keep listening to it at this pace, it might dethrone WTT)
3. Well Done
4. Castor the Twin
5. Return of 4eva/Covert Coup fighting it out right now

Recon

Banned
1. WTT
3. Well Done
4. Castor the Twin

Havnt listened to Well Done, but WTT at #1? Lol, peter, you are better than this!!!

siddx

Scarface's discography is so fucking good. I've been on a scarface binge recently. Made, Emeritus, The Fix, Last of a dying breed, and of course Diary and Untouchable. Not to mention all the geto boys albums.

Which brings me to the question, Blackace, how familiar are you with scarface's work? Cause I would love a Scarface centric set sometime.

PBY

Banned
Scarface's discography is so fucking good. I've been on a scarface binge recently. Made, Emeritus, The Fix, Last of a dying breed, and of course Diary and Untouchable. Not to mention all the geto boys albums.

Which brings me to the question, Blackace, how familiar are you with scarface's work? Cause I would love a Scarface centric set sometime.

I like Scarface a good amount, hes not my fav or anything. Funny story: the spring break house that my buddies and I rented out the past two years was one of his vacation spots, apparently he rented out that house a lot.

overcast

1. WTT
3. Well Done
4. Castor the Twin
Good list. I really need to check out No Kings asap.

To kamp, I don't think it matters how somebody looks when they rap. They can be the corniest looking motherfucker, but if they can spit I don't care. Also, Dessa is pretty attractive but I think I speak for others when I say nobody would listen to her if she wasn't great at making music.

Recon

Banned

To kamp, I don't think it matters how somebody looks when they rap. They can be the corniest looking motherfucker, but if they can spit I don't care. Also, Dessa is pretty attractive but I think I speak for others when I say nobody would listen to her if she wasn't great at making music.

I dont find her that attractive. I just love her music.

PBY

Banned

Exhibit A
jayelectronica.jpg

JackEtc

Yeah, it was posted in the last OT. It's fantastic stuff, too bad Jay passed on it.
Dammit, I was late as usual :p

Maybe someone else could get in touch with this guy and pick up the beats. They really scream Jay-Z to me, but I'd hate to see them go without being used.

PBY

Banned
Really? I still think the best tracks Big Sean has ever done were his Mike Posner collabs (Smoke N Drive, etc.) and Posner's mixtapes from 09 were pretty good.
I don't love Posner, but as a Dukie I got to see him live a bunch before he blew up; I feel like you always kinda root for a dude that you've seen get big right in front of you.

The new mixtape is pretty good, not sure how I feel about his covers though. And all the features are pretty great. I mean, Elzhi even gets on a track.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

I have his entire library or close to it..

I should be able to work a Scarface/GetoBoys set up here after WCW

HiResDes

I love Dessa, and I love Castor the Twin, but there's no way I'd put a retreaded album in my top ten...

Edit: Speaking of the Geto Boyz, I hope everyone played Chuckie ten times in a row last Halloween.

Recon

Banned
I love Dessa, and I love Castor the Twin, but there's no way I'd put a retreaded album in my top ten...

Edit: Speaking of the Geto Boyz, I hope everyone played Chuckie ten times in a row last Halloween.

I feel it is worthy of it. The way they did the production is fantastic.

PBY

Banned
Totally valid point; myself, I'm pretty liberal with personal rankings. IE if a mixtape (even if it has jacked beats) for whatever reason falls into my favorite/most listened to pile of music from a year, I'm gonna give it a nod. And Dessa doesn't get enough love as it is.

That being said.... If Common doesn't disappoint shes probably getting dropped, I already have her represented in No Kings.

siddx

I have his entire library or close to it..

I should be able to work a Scarface/GetoBoys set up here after WCW

Sweet pussy pie, you are a good man.

Dessa's album, despite being a "retread" is still better than the majority of horseshit that will end upon top 5 lists like Take Care and WTT. And even if it's a remix album, the songs are significantly different enough that they are in some cases practically brand new songs.

HiResDes

I don't disagree, I just think the past year has been inconspicuously great, although I must say Onra's new album sounds like more of a retread than Castor, The Twin. *Eyes Shinobi*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom