• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Title Theme 03:54
Forest Temple 03:54
Zelda's Lullaby 04:24
Gerudo Valley 04:22
Lost Woods 02:37
Bolero Of Fire 02:58
Spirit Temple 04:48
Twinrova Theme 04:08
Song Of Storms (The Windmill) 02:41
Sheik's Theme 02:45
**Bonus Track** 01:59

CRS

Decent.. Sucker for anything Zelda related though.

Watching The Throne, Well Done, and Dessa/Doomtree's stuff >>>> Radioactive. I already shelved it. Shame on Yelawolf for that project. Too many great releases this year to listen to that.

EDIT: Alright it's not nearly as bad as I make it sound, but still. Major disappointment.

The inclusion of Hard White, Lets Roll and Throw it Up alone make it a pretty decent effort. Far more enjoyable than Take Care (still haven't listened to it through for a second time, first was enough) and Cole World.

It certainly wasn't what I was expecting though. I truly think if he did most of the hooks himself it would have been bomb as hell. An album full of Box Chevys and Daddys Lambo (omg)

Oh and less people should be sleeping on Pac Div. Their debut studio > J Cole, Yela (surprisingly), Childish Gambino right now

Shoutout to hires for putting me on mania when I saw him post about it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Sorry.. It aint working for me

coldvein

Banned
I feel sorry for all scrubs that haven't listened to this:

abandoned-language.jpg

This shit is like Immortal Technique, Faust, and Can Ox had a baby- and it was smarter than all of them :). One of my favorite rap albums ever and it's like nobody on this board has peeped Dalek besdies me and HiRes. So do that.

Bricks Crumble
Paragraphs Relentless
Content to Play Villain

i own a dalek album that i've never really gotten around to listening to, heh. those tracks are great though. love the beat on the second one.

DominoKid

The inclusion of Hard White, Lets Roll and Throw it Up alone make it a pretty decent effort. Far more enjoyable than Take Care (still haven't listened to it through for a second time, first was enough) and Cole World.

It certainly wasn't what I was expecting though. I truly think if he did most of the hooks himself it would have been bomb as hell. An album full of Box Chevys and Daddys Lambo (omg)

Oh and less people should be sleeping on Pac Div. Their debut studio > J Cole, Yela (surprisingly), Childish Gambino right now

Shoutout to hires for putting me on mania when I saw him post about it.

Pac Div is aight but they've missed their boat, like the Cool Kids and KITH did.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Radioative is a good album, it's just not what I expected and I'm having trouble adjusting to that. If it had been any other artist I would have loved it immediately outside of the shitty hooks that plague the middle. There are no terrible songs. Write Your Name is close just because of how godawful the hook is and the recycled Justice league beat.
A lot of tracks have grown on me big time. For instance I thought Growing up in the gutter was underwhelming at first, but that beat is sinister as fuck. And it's still the best high profile major label release so far this year.

And even the worst hook on Radioactive is better than the best hook on Take Care. Ill take a corny female RnB hook over a corny male (fake) RnB hook any day.

Pac Div, Like the Cool Kids, works best when it's an EP. A whole album of banging and clanging simplistic beats and monotone raps gets tired as fuck after a while.

Tokubetsu

Radioative is a good album, it's just not what I expected and I'm having trouble adjusting to that. If it had been any other artist I would have loved it immediately outside of the shitty hooks that plague the middle. There are no terrible songs. Write Your Name is close just because of how godawful the hook is and the recycled Justice league beat.
A lot of tracks have grown on me big time. For instance I thought Growing up in the gutter was underwhelming at first, but that beat is sinister as fuck. And it's still the best high profile major label release so far this year.

And even the worst hook on Radioactive is better than the best hook on Take Care. Ill take a corny female RnB hook over a corny male (fake) RnB hook any day.

Pac Div, Like the Cool Kids, works best when it's an EP. A whole album of banging and clanging simplistic beats and monotone raps gets tired as fuck after a while.

I think the big thing with Radioactive is they went down the wrong hick/whitesouthernrapper route with it in terms of sound. They went more "guitar hick" than the shit Yela was doing before.

I gotta say though Kid Rock's got a pretty good hook on Let's Roll. If people didn't know it was him it would get more love. And yeah I think it's safe saying this is the best high profile major release of the year....I'm cool with that.

Recon

Banned
Like I said before, Radioactive wasnt the album i wanted from Yela, but i really like it. I hope he goes for a more trunk rattling sophomore album though. Let's Roll is definitely one of the best songs on the album, Kid Rock works amazingly well on it.

Tokubetsu

I gotta say though Kid Rock's got a pretty good hook on Let's Roll. If people didn't know it was him it would get more love. And yeah I think it's safe saying this is the best high profile major release of the year....I'm cool with that.

You'd be right if we didn't get castlemusic or bathroommusic.

Recon

Banned
You'd be right if we didn't get castlemusic or bathroommusic.

Watch The Throne was bad. Nothing shined, poor production, bonus cuts that shined brighter than anything on the album. It also brought us one of the worst singles of the last several years, Lift Off.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite rap albums ever and it's like nobody on this board has peeped Dalek besdies me and HiRes. So do that.
I'm all about dälek. Their stuff prior to this album is better, in my opinion, but "Paragraphs Relentless" is one of the very best songs they've ever done.

If you like this kind of stuff you should hunt down Paradise Don't Come Cheap by New Kingdom. I try to sing their praises whenever possible. This is one of my top 5 albums of all time, I absolutely adore it. It sounds way ahead of its time. The beats are all dense and distorted and heavy, the rhymes are pretty great. It's just a great album. I woke up with "Mexico or Bust" stuck in my head today. Here's a couple tracks:

"Mexico or Bust"
"Unicorns Were Horses"
"Animal"

God dammit, I need to find a copy of this on vinyl.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I think the big thing with Radioactive is they went down the wrong hick/whitesouthernrapper route with it in terms of sound. They went more "guitar hick" than the shit Yela was doing before.

Yeah thats pretty much how I feel. I came in expecting trunk muzik and got eminem mixed with bubba sparxxx. But I am starting to really like it.

WTT was fucking awful. Fuck that musical abortion and everyone involved with it.

PBY

Banned
Watch The Throne was bad. Nothing shined, poor production, bonus cuts that shined brighter than anything on the album. It also brought us one of the worst singles of the last several years, Lift Off.
:(

I thought the production was the strongest point, there really isn't an album this year (ever?) to match the opulent crayness of WTT. As far as the raps, its kinda like whether you like or hate new kanye. I love it though. And lift off is good too (runs).

Recon

Banned
Why bother? You're right. Work Out, That Way, How To Love are all much better singles than Lift Off and that's just this year! Not the last several!

Those are all hot trash, yet Lift Off manages to be even worse. Jay gets lost and spits his worst bars yet, and Kanye doesnt know what to do. At least NiP was fun, even if it was stupid.

How to Love vs. Lift Off is like having Walter jr. and Michael J. Fox face-off in a dance competition

WTT is a fun album for what it is but Lift Off....eeew.

GamerSoul

Pretty good. I'm still waiting for a fresh hip-hop/jazz rendition of Zelda songs. Metroid Metal and Live Orchestrated music spoiled me with their greatness.

I thought the production was the strongest point, there really isn't an album this year (ever?) to match the opulent crayness of WTT. As far as the raps, its kinda like whether you like or hate new kanye. I love it though. And lift off is good too (runs).

The actual rhymes are a bit weak at times but overall it was damn good.

Niggas In Paris, Otis, Gotta Have It, New Day, That's My Bitch, Welcome To The Jungle, Who Gon Stop Me, Murder To Excellence, Why I Love You.

I even dig Lift Off if I'm in the right mood, Jay just sounds lost on it and Kanye brought really really weak lyrics.

Recon

Banned

I know you like it, we will never see eye to eye on that one lol. I dislike the new Kanye immensely. He isnt a good rapper, but at least before it felt down to earth and personal. I know he cannot ever be the CD/LR Kanye again, but i just do not like the rapper he is now.

PBY

Banned
Fuck it, Ill say it- I LOVE lift off. The beat is awesome, the bass KNOCKS in the car, and the breakdown at the end is nuts. And then you get something as awesome as this, Kanye just fucking around and having fun:

Lift off
Lift off, takin’ my coat off
Showin’ my tattoos, I’m such a showoff (Huh?)
I feel the pain and then rolled off
I got the whole city, they about to go off
How many ni**as wit’ me up in this bitch?
How many people wanna roll with me now?
Like you know na na na, you know me by now
Know me, know me by now

The first 4 bars are hilarious. By the time Kanye starts going into his NANANA part I'm already singing with him. Its awesome.

I know you like it, we will never see eye to eye on that one lol. I dislike the new Kanye immensely. He isnt a good rapper, but at least before it felt down to earth and personal. I know he cannot ever be the CD/LR Kanye again, but i just do not like the rapper he is now.
Yeah I agree that Ye's changed- but thats what I love about him. Hes rich as fuck now, and his raps on WTT reflect that. Btw, MBDTF is amazingly personal the more I listen to it- that album was Kanye emerging into the swagged out cray castle boss he is now. WTT is the culmination of his career- its him and Jay at the top of the rap game just spitting over amazing beats, bullshitting and swagging out 1/3 of the time, reflecting on how the fuck did we end up here 1/3 of the time, and then generally showing some level of depth and consciousness about themselves, their ethnic communities, and the rap game in general the rest of the time.

/end of stannery.

Tokubetsu

Fuck it, Ill say it- I LOVE lift off. The beat is awesome, the bass KNOCKS in the car, and the breakdown at the end is nuts. And then you get something as awesome as this, Kanye just fucking around and having fun:

Lift off
Lift off, takin’ my coat off
Showin’ my tattoos, I’m such a showoff (Huh?)
I feel the pain and then rolled off
I got the whole city, they about to go off
How many ni**as wit’ me up in this bitch?
How many people wanna roll with me now?
Like you know na na na, you know me by now
Know me, know me by now

The first 4 bars are hilarious. By the time Kanye starts going into his NANANA part I'm already singing with him. Its awesome.

I love it too and I'm the furthest thing from a Beyonce fan. I skip Made In America the most on WTT.

Visuals:
Action Bronson & Statik Selektah - Not Enough Words.

Recon

Banned
I just find it sad the best songs were bonus songs. Really? IMA/Primetime/The Joy were cut in favor of Lift Off/Gotta Have It/New Day/Made In America?

I have a feeling one of the scrapped versions of WTT would of been a lot better.

PBY

Banned
I love it too and I'm the furthest thing from a Beyonce fan. I skip Made In America the most on WTT.

Visuals:
Action Bronson & Statik Selektah - Not Enough Words.
Haha Bronson is channeling Rick Ross HARD in that video. Great song though, Statik went in with the beats.

I just find it sad the best songs were bonus songs. Really? IMA/Primetime/The Joy were cut in favor of Lift Off/Gotta Have It/New Day/Made In America?

I have a feeling one of the scrapped versions of WTT would of been a lot better.
I agree that the bonus cuts were awesome, but I have a feeling that the scrapped versions were just alot of Luger beats and HAMS. which would have been fine by me but I like what we got. IMA is untouchable though goddam that beat.

njean777

Yoda I disagree with your outlook on WTT sure its stupid and fun, but I am pretty sure that is what it was supposed to come out as. Not as an introspective, deep album. If you take it for what it is, its a really fun album to listen to. I do agree with you on one point though, Lift Off is a horrible song.

Recon

Banned
Yoda I disagree with your outlook on WTT sure its stupid and fun, but I am pretty sure that is what it was supposed to come out as. Not as an introspective, deep album. If you take it for what it is, its a really fun album to listen to. I do agree with you on one point though, Lift Off is a horrible song.

They have repeatedly said that they scrapped a couple different versions and settled on this one, that is why it took so long to come out.

The M.O.B

Why bother? You're right. Work Out, That Way, How To Love are all much better singles than Lift Off and that's just this year! Not the last several!

Speaking of work out, despite being a flop at the start, the song has entered the iTunes top 25. And is climbing the billboard charts slowly. Looks like phoenixdark got proved wrong.

DominoKid

Anyone else like No Church in the Wild? The beat is strangely hypnotic to me and Frank killed it.

i love it. thats the shit Pusha T should be rapping over.

the part where Kanye's verse drops gives me goosebumps every time. The-Dream's bridge sets it up so well.

i'm curious how many of the WTT scraps will end up on the GOOD Music album because Hit-Boy said that was a very likely possibility.

Macca

Radioactive has 3 pretty separate parts to it.

The first is his more Trunk Musik style, hard beats, nice rapping.

The middle seems to be, I dunno, something we hadn't really seen from Yela. I don't dig many of the hooks in that section, Animal is by far the standout track of the middle.

Then towards the end it moves into more country inspired stuff, guitars and banjos and the like. I thought this section was pretty awesome, Yela doing hooks and a pretty chill out sound.

All the guests he bought in to do hooks did really bring it down though. And I would have by far preferred to see Snoop over that Good Girl beat.

Top albums of 2011 (No particular order):
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4Eva
Curren$y/ Alchemist - Covert Coup
Danny Brown - XXX
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
Raekwon - Shaolin vs. Wu-tang
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
The Throne - Watch The Throne

Under Consideration/Need to re-listen:
Thurz - LA Riot
Talib Kweli - Gutter Rainbows
Strong Arm Steady - Arms And Hammers
Statik - Selektah - Population Control
Yelawolf - Radioactive
Schoolboy Q - Setbacks
Jet Life - Jet World Order
Jay Rock - Follow Me Home
J.Cole - Cole World
Dj Quik - The Book of David
Das Racist - Relax
Danny Brown & Black Milk - Black & Brown
Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel
ASAP Rocky - LiveloveASAP
Childish Gambino - Camp

Anticipating:
Doomtree - No Kings
The Roots - UNDUN
Statik Selektah/Action bronson - Well Done
Tonedeff/Kno - Chico and the Man
Common - The Dreamer, The Believer

Let down of the year:
Blu - NoYork

I'm gonna have to wear headphones from now until Christmas to get a top 10 down.

Good to see Madlib actually working with a good rapper. A lot of these dudes who get his beats (MED, Guilty, Nitty, etc) aren't interesting rappers, and they're the definition of average at best. Meanwhile Madlib/Stones Throw fanboys often don't seem interested in rappers at all, they're just beat (or loop, depending on your troll level) junkies.

I think it's also fair to start the debate on quality vs quantity at this point with Madlib. A lot of the stuff he released last year just wasn't interesting, to put it lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom