• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double D

iRVzB3PndbCbw.png

Madlib x Freddie Gibbs "Thuggin' EP" is online now:
http://stonesthrow.com/store/ep/freddiegibbsmadlib/thuggin-ep
https://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2011/11/freddie-gibbs-madlib

Whoa. Had no idea they were working together. Picked the wrong day to leave my headphones at home.

Good to see Madlib actually working with a good rapper. A lot of these dudes who get his beats (MED, Guilty, Nitty, etc) aren't interesting rappers, and they're the definition of average at best. Meanwhile Madlib/Stones Throw fanboys often don't seem interested in rappers at all, they're just beat (or loop, depending on your troll level) junkies.

I think it's also fair to start the debate on quality vs quantity at this point with Madlib. A lot of the stuff he released last year just wasn't interesting, to put it lightly.

His work with Percee P was sooo good. Short album, just over 30 mins from what I remember, but good lord it was good.

Top albums of 2011 (No particular order):
Anticipating:
Doomtree - No Kings
Tonedeff/Kno - Chico and the Man

Let down of the year:
Blu - NoYork

No Kings is out, Chico and the Man delayed..from what Kno said on qn5.com likely until late march

disappointments of the year
-Atmosphere
-WTT
-Lasers

Ah shit, there is new Atmosphere out? I've been so out of the loop the last couple of years. I didn't enjoy When Life Gives You Lemons though, thought that was the best album the year it dropped. I like Slug, so I will probably give it a listen anyway.

kamspy

That ASAP Rocky might make it's way into my top ten...

Biggest personal disappointment was Yelawolf. :( Not to say it's a horrible album, but Trunk Muzik only had one song to skip (Marijuana). The rest was pure gold. Every track had a brand new feel.

As far as Action Bronsenelli, I think Bon Appetite is still my favorite joint. Doesn't hurt that it's pushing 40 tracks (never understood the "I like albums with less songs!!" point of view...).

My AOTY right now is still a toss up between Goblin and Watch the Throne. They are completely polar opposites too. Weird.

That ASAP Rocky might make it's way into my top ten...

Biggest personal disappointment was Yelawolf. :( Not to say it's a horrible album, but Trunk Muzik only had one song to skip (Marijuana). The rest was pure gold. Every track had a brand new feel.

As far as Action Bronsenelli, I think Bon Appetite is still my favorite joint. Doesn't hurt that it's pushing 40 tracks (never understood the "I like albums with less songs!!" point of view...).

Damn I've been putting off copping that. Gonna get it over the weekend

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ah shit, there is new Atmosphere out? I've been so out of the loop the last couple of years. I didn't enjoy When Life Gives You Lemons though, thought that was the best album the year it dropped. I like Slug, so I will probably give it a listen anyway.

Must not unleash my Atmosphere stannery....

Actually I was slightly disappointed by The Family Sign. It reminded me of "You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We Are Having" in that it feels like a transition album that they built around the idea of using more simple, guitar based production. It feels like a half effort and I expect, like with YCIHMFWAH, that the next one will be a more focused effort. Lemons is my favorite album of all time hands down, so I may just be engaging in wishful thinking that the next album will be more like it.
That said, Family Sign is still better than the vast majority of garbage put out this year sitting on some top 10 lists. But for me, it's probably just outside my personal top 10.

Tokubetsu

Must not unleash my Atmosphere stannery....

Actually I was slightly disappointed by The Family Sign. It reminded me of "You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We Are Having" in that it feels like a transition album that they built around the idea of using more simple, guitar based production. It feels like a half effort and I expect, like with YCIHMFWAH, that the next one will be a more focused effort. Lemons is my favorite album of all time hands down, so I may just be engaging in wishful thinking that the next album will be more like it.
That said, Family Sign is still better than the vast majority of garbage put out this year sitting on some top 10 lists. But for me, it's probably just outside my personal top 10.

Same. I auto-buy Atmosphere albums and barely put in any spins on Family Sign. The EP that came out a couple months before it was better (to all my friends...). Lemons was/is great though.

Esch

Banned
I'm all about dälek. Their stuff prior to this album is better, in my opinion, but "Paragraphs Relentless" is one of the very best songs they've ever done.

If you like this kind of stuff you should hunt down Paradise Don't Come Cheap by New Kingdom. I try to sing their praises whenever possible. This is one of my top 5 albums of all time, I absolutely adore it. It sounds way ahead of its time. The beats are all dense and distorted and heavy, the rhymes are pretty great. It's just a great album. I woke up with "Mexico or Bust" stuck in my head today. Here's a couple tracks:

"Mexico or Bust"
"Unicorns Were Horses"
"Animal"

God dammit, I need to find a copy of this on vinyl.

Cool stuff.

Funnily enough I wrote that post re: Abandoned Language and then I realized that I like From Filthy Tongues of Gods and Griots a little better. Absence has good cuts, but is inconsistent, and Negros Necros Nekros or whatever is just eh to me.

DominoKid

Top albums of 2011 (No particular order):
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4Eva
Curren$y/ Alchemist - Covert Coup
Danny Brown - XXX
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
Raekwon - Shaolin vs. Wu-tang
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
The Throne - Watch The Throne

Under Consideration/Need to re-listen:
Thurz - LA Riot
Talib Kweli - Gutter Rainbows
Strong Arm Steady - Arms And Hammers
Statik - Selektah - Population Control
Yelawolf - Radioactive
Schoolboy Q - Setbacks
Jet Life - Jet World Order
Jay Rock - Follow Me Home
J.Cole - Cole World
Dj Quik - The Book of David
Das Racist - Relax
Danny Brown & Black Milk - Black & Brown
Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel
ASAP Rocky - LiveloveASAP
Childish Gambino - Camp

Anticipating:
Doomtree - No Kings
The Roots - UNDUN
Statik Selektah/Action bronson - Well Done
Tonedeff/Kno - Chico and the Man
Common - The Dreamer, The Believer

Let down of the year:
Blu - NoYork

I'm gonna have to wear headphones from now until Christmas to get a top 10 down.

I already have my top 10 down. I'll warn everyone now there are some surprises. There's maybe 1 or 2 more albums I need to hear before I post my list.

siddx

Same. I auto-buy Atmosphere albums and barely put in any spins on Family Sign. The EP that came out a couple months before it was better (to all my friends...). Lemons was/is great though.

It's odd, there are no songs that I dislike on Family Sign. Nothing is "bad". And some of the songs are really very very good. But as a album, it just doesn't hold my attention. One of those weird instances where the sum of all the parts isn't greater than the individual pieces.

Arguing that Lift Off is better than How To Love is like arguing that "this" pile of shit smells better than "this" one.

They both stink, mang.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Arguing that Lift Off is better than How To Love is like arguing that "this" pile of shit smells better than "this" one.

They both stink, mang.

Lift Off is stepping on an ant.

How to Love is finding a loved one defiled and rotting in the street while bums take pisses and put out cigarettes on them.

overcast

Yup, agree that EP is better. The album makes sense because of where Slug is in his life. I still prefer Lemons by a lot. Lemons is right behind GLU for me.

siddx

Radioactive is not bad so far. Will listen trough a few more times before judging

Like I said, it's those fucking hooks in the middle. I literally recoiled the first time I heard Made In the USA's hook. It just reeked of Eminem fuckery. But some of the hooks I ended up liking after a few listens. Animal and Everything I Love the Most for instance (both of which have great beats too).

siddx

does Jay Rock have an album or anything to listen to?

Follow Me Home. Which is the best of the black hippie (still fucking lol at that name) movement's albums. However I think I'm the only one who feels that way.

njean777

Follow Me Home. Which is the best of the black hippie (still fucking lol at that name) movement's albums. However I think I'm the only one who feels that way.

Well I love Kendrick's album, been playing it for 2 weeks straight, so I will look into Follow me Home. I am not all into the hood music, but what I have heard from Jay Rock has been pretty good.

Recon

Banned
It's odd, there are no songs that I dislike on Family Sign. Nothing is "bad". And some of the songs are really very very good. But as a album, it just doesn't hold my attention. One of those weird instances where the sum of all the parts isn't greater than the individual pieces.

I only really enjoy one song from Family Sign, and that is The Last To Say. I dont dislike any of them, but The Last To Say is the only one that sticks with me.

Az

Like I said, it's those fucking hooks in the middle. I literally recoiled the first time I heard Made In the USA's hook. It just reeked of Eminem fuckery. But some of the hooks I ended up liking after a few listens. Animal and Everything I Love the Most for instance (both of which have great beats too).

Agree 100%, I think it will grow on me.

siddx

I only really enjoy one song from Family Sign, and that is The Last To Say. I dont dislike any of them, but The Last To Say is the only one that sticks with me.

My Notes is one of my favorite songs they have ever done. It's so fucking good. But it's way way way too short.

Get Away on Radioactive is definitely my favourite song, love the beat and vibe of the song.

I really like the beat and yela's verse, but both shawty fatt and mystikal drop complete garbage that ruin it for me.

Jay Sosa

Just heard Childish Gambinos "Heartbeat" for the first time, is the rest of his debut as awesome? Kinda hard to take him serious though, I always wait for Abed to show up.

Oh and f*** vimeo. Every video I try to watch stutters, even on SD but maybe thats just the shitty computer at work.

Been on complete blackout for Common's album, should hit me hard.

Yeah me too!

Will continue to ignore it when it's released.

Throavium

Just heard Childish Gambinos "Heartbeat" for the first time, is the rest of his debut as awesome? Kinda hard to take him serious though, I always wait for Abed to show up.

Oh and f*** vimeo. Every video I try to watch stutters, even on SD but maybe thats just the shitty computer at work.
There's a stream link in the OT for Camp.

siddx

As someone else said, hook on that common track is painfully generic and dull, but the beat is nuts and common comes correct. So far my hype for the album has gone -1 +1 -3 +1

Cudder

For the 5 people who for some reason care, Cudi is releasing a song off WZRD tonight...............................*crickets*

Whatever's been released from WZRD so far has been shit, and I love Cudi. Too bad, it really could have been interesting shit if he was still stoning. He could have made some interesting rock shit on par with how unique his rap vibe is. Oh well.

mileS

Only Com track that's got me hype is Sweet. But I'm pretty confident it will be the only one of it's kind....so, in a way, I already have the entire album. It's not bad!

Lyrics and beat are there, but where the hell is T.I.'s raw delivery? Dude can't be that full. It's like he rapped it laying down.

Yea. amazing lyrics like "even the sun fin' to cum" right...

has to be one of the corniest lines I've heard in a while.

I like the beat.

Will get plays off of that alone I guess.

I'm easy to please anyway...as I am probably gonna love Cudi's track tonight.

Watch I will say it's meh when it's posted.

and then in a few hours I will have played it 20 times.

SMH @ Myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom