• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Weird feeling indeed.

I can totally understand why some say MOTM is a classic. I don't know if I would call that, but it's pretty damn awesome. Been a while since I've listened to it fully though.

HiResDes

It's a for sure classic in my eyes. How did the listening session go?

I fucked up a couple times, and plug was fucking up as well so kind of shakey...And I liked one more song than I remembered bringing the total to five. Definitely not a classic in my eyes, it's more clear than ever for me.

T Dollarz

I fucked up a couple times, and plug was fucking up as well so kind of shakey...And I liked one more song than I remembered bringing the total to five. Definitely not a classic in my eyes, it's more clear than ever for me.

Wow, interesting.

Anybody else fuck with the new Big Boi yet? It was iffy for me, gonna for sure need more listens to solidify my opinion of it.

Macca

I'm holding out until the full album drops. Think I might do that for more albums going forward, I did it for Kendrick, and I think I enjoyed the album a lot more because of it.

Kinda wish I did it for Cruel Summer.

thabiz

A listening party to determine the validity of the claims that MOTM is a classic album? You guys have seriously lost it and should be ashamed.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I think for some people MOTM touches back on a specific time in life where you were transitioning from a fucked up teenager with too many hormones and not enough answers to a young adult realizing life can really hold you down and fuck you hard whether through love, hate, jealousy, or just a complete confusion about how to handle the onslaught of emotions and circumstances life throws at you. Listening as an adult brings me back to those times and still touches on how I feel once in while when I just want to say fuck it, fuck you, fuck everybody.

The problem is, cudi as a person is still that confused and angsty teenager at heart and it's hard to listen to him anymore and take it seriously. It was enjoyable when I thought it was just an artist reflecting on relatable times and emotions in a person's life. Not as enjoyable when I realized dude was still that insecure kid that most (honest) people will admit to being at some point in their young life. If I had known that before listening to MOTM I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. And yeah, everyone, even as an adult, has those moments where they just have a fucked up day, week, month, or year and want to get a little pathetic and pitiful for a moment. But we don't spend our adult lives that way unless you're a virgin neckbeard...or kid cudi.

That and the only emotional rap I enjoy comes from rappers with a sense of self awareness and humility. Slug (blah blah blah yeah yeah emo rapper backpacker) understands this better than anyone. He can rap about overly emotional topics but there is never a sense of self pity in any of it. It's either tinged with anger (at himself or others) or humor or a clear self awareness of how stupid the situation is or how much blame he has for it. Even when he's rapping about girls, its not "oh she broke my heart she's so mean and cruel". It's "damn, I can't help but fuck with these broken ass crazy ass damage goods girls, I ain't got anyone to blame but myself. Oh well fuck it lets go find another!"

RJT

I think for some people MOTM touches back on a specific time in life where you were transitioning from a fucked up teenager with too many hormones and not enough answers to a young adult realizing life can really hold you down and fuck you hard whether through love, hate, jealousy, or just a complete confusion about how to handle the onslaught of emotions and circumstances life throws at you. Listening as an adult brings me back to those times and still touches on how I feel once in while when I just want to say fuck it, fuck you, fuck everybody.

The problem is, cudi as a person is still that confused and angsty teenager at heart and it's hard to listen to him anymore and take it seriously. It was enjoyable when I thought it was just an artist reflecting on relatable times and emotions in a person's life. Not as enjoyable when I realized dude was still that insecure kid that most (honest) people will admit to being at some point in their young life. If I had known that before listening to MOTM I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. And yeah, everyone, even as an adult, has those moments where they just have a fucked up day, week, month, or year and want to get a little pathetic and pitiful for a moment. But we don't spend our adult lives that way unless you're a virgin neckbeard...or kid cudi.

That and the only emotional rap I enjoy comes from rappers with a sense of self awareness and humility. Slug (blah blah blah yeah yeah emo rapper backpacker) understands this better than anyone. He can rap about overly emotional topics but there is never a sense of self pity in any of it. It's either tinged with anger (at himself or others) or humor or a clear self awareness of how stupid the situation is or how much blame he has for it. Even when he's rapping about girls, its not "oh she broke my heart she's so mean and cruel". It's "damn, I can't help but fuck with these broken ass crazy ass damage goods girls, I ain't got anyone to blame but myself. Oh well fuck it lets go find another!"

Quoting so y'all can read it again. Seriously, Slug does emotional shit better than anyone except maybe Pac in a few songs. "Little Man" is probably my favorite song about life.

"I watch the way you try to keep your mom happy
Daddy learned that from you
You're supposed to learn that from daddy"

Macca

Totally agree on Cudi. It's definitely music that brings back memories for me, and the atmosphere is created so well through the production, it can take me back.

IrishNinja was prolly watching his zelda animes, singing along to cardcaptor sakura to fully grasp the message that Cudi was mumbling.

siddx

Quoting so y'all can read it again. Seriously, Slug does emotional shit better than anyone except maybe Pac in a few songs. "Little Man" is probably my favorite song about life.

"I watch the way you try to keep your mom happy
Daddy learned that from you
You're supposed to learn that from daddy"

Little Man followed by Yesterday is a ridiculous gut punch. Going from a song about his son and his father to a song about missing his now deceased dad brings out a powerful swing of emotions.

RJT

Little Man followed by Yesterday is a ridiculous gut punch. Going from a song about his son and his father to a song about missing his now deceased dad brings out a powerful swing of emotions.

Indeed. You could make amazing thematic compilations with Slug's catalog. His fucked-up-relationship songs are incredible too. "Fuck You Lucy", "Pour me another", Woman tonight"...

siddx

Indeed. You could make amazing thematic compilations with Slug's catalog. His fucked-up-relationship songs are incredible too. "Fuck You Lucy", "Pour me another", Woman tonight"...

I actually threw together a three album best off compilation that I tried to keep relatively thematic (sad clown, angry clown, happy clown). The Rooster to Little man to Yesterday to Carry me home is one of my favorite stretches on the "sad clown" album.

RJT

Can you share the tracklist? I'd like to make my own version, but I'm sure you know their catalog better than me.

thabiz

3 hours of Large Professor? YES PLEASE!

The Wicked Takeover - Large Professor Produced 1989-1999
01. The Large Professor feat. Cormega & Tragedy Khadafi - Focused Up [Prod. by The Large Professor - 2012] Fat Beats PROFESSOR @ LARGE (CD)
02. Intro with Wicked & Raymundo
03. The Large Professor - I Justwannachill (Instrumental) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1996] Geffen 12”
04. Tragedy feat. Havoc of Mobb Deep & The Large Professor - Da Funk Mode [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] White Label 12”
05. Mad Skillz - Skillz In ’95 [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1995] Big Beat FROM WHERE??? (LP) 12”
06. The Large Professor - That Bullshit [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1994] Paul Sea THE LP (LP)
07. Akinyele - I Luh Hur [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Interscope VAGINA DINER (LP)
08. A Tribe Called Quest feat. The Large Professor - Keep It Rollin’ [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Jive MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS (LP)
09. Gang Starr - Gotta Get Over (Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1992] Chrysalis 12”
10. Mobb Deep - Peer Pressure [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1992] 4th & B’way JUVENILE HELL (LP)
11. Nasty Nas - Half Time [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1992] Ruffhouse/Columbia ZEBRAHEAD SOUNDTRACK (LP) 12”
12. Slick Rick - It’s A Boy (Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Def Jam 12”
13. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo feat. The Large Professor, Freddie Foxx & Ant Live - Money In The Bank [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1990] Cold Chillin’/Warner Bros. WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE (LP)
14. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Streets Of New York [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1990] Cold Chillin’/Warner Bros. WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE (LP) 12”
15. Eric B. & Rakim - In The Ghetto [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1990] MCA LET THE RHYTHM HIT ’EM (LP)
16. Main Source - Time (Alternative Mix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1992] Diggers With Gratitude LOST SCIENCE (7”)
17. Akinyele feat. D.J. Rob Swift - Checkmate [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Interscope VAGINA DINER (LP)
18. The Large Professor - The LP [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1995] Paul Sea THE LP (LP)
19. Nas - It Ain’t Hard To Tell (Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1994] Columbia Promo 12”
20. Common Sense feat. DJ Sinister - Resurrection (Extra P. Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1995] Relativity 12”
21. The Large Professor - The Mad Scientist [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1996] Geffen 12”
22. Neek The Exotic feat. The Large Professor - Exotic’s Raw [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1998] Wastelanz 12”
23. Neek The Exotic - Turn It Out (Instrumental) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1999] Freeze 12”
24. Talk Break with Raymundo
25. Neek The Exotic feat. Joe Flav - Muthafuckin Man [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1999] Large BACKS N’ NECKS (EP)
26. Slick Rick - I Sparkle [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1999] Overbrook/Interscope WILD WILD WEST SOUNDTRACK (LP)
27. The Large Professor feat. Nas - One Plus One [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1996] Paul Sea THE LP (LP)
28. Nas feat. Biz Markie & AZ - Understanding [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1995] White Label 12”
29. Mad Skillz feat. The Large Professor & Q-Tip - Extra Abstract Skillz [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1995] Big Beat FROM WHERE??? (LP) Promo 12”
30. Organized Konfusion feat. The Large Professor - Stress (Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1994] Hollywood Basic 12”
31. Big Daddy Kane - Niggaz Never Learn [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Cold Chillin‘/Reprise LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR... (LP)
32. Big L - Unexpected Flava [Prod. by The Large Professor / Co-Produced by Lord Finesse - 1992] Underboss/No Sleep RARE SELECTIONS EP VOL. 1 (12”)
33. Lord Finesse - Isn’t He Something (Extra P. Session Mix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Fat Beats FROM THE CRATES TO THE FILES ...THE LOST SESSIONS (LP)
34. The Jaz - It’s Your Nature [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] EMI YA DON‘T STOP (EP)
35. Nasty Nas - Nas Will Prevail [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Original Demo Tape (CD)
36. Intelligent Hoodlum - Game Type [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1990] A&M INTELLIGENT HOODLUM (LP)
37. Main Source - Snake Eyes [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1990] Wild Pitch BREAKING ATOMS (LP)
38. Nikki D - Your Man Is My Man [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Def Jam/Columbia DADDY’S LITTLE GIRL (LP) 12”
39. MC Shan feat. Neek The Exotic, Diesel, Kool G Rap & Snow - Pee-Nile Reunion [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Livin’ Large 12”
40. Beastie Boys - Sure Shot (Large Professor Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1994] Capitol 12”
41. Leaders Of The New School - What’s Next? (Large Professor Remix) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Elektra 12”
42. Akinyele feat. D.J. Rob Swift - Ak Ha Ha! Ak Hoo Hoo! [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1993] Interscope VAGINA DINER (LP) 12”
43. Main Source - Bootlegging [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1992] Diggers With Gratitude LOST SCIENCE (7”)
44. Main Source - Atom [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1989] Actual 12”
45. Nasty Nas - I’m A Villain [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Original Demo Tape (CD)
46. Main Source feat. Nasty Nas, Akinyele & Joe Fatal - Live At The Barbeque [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Wild Pitch BREAKING ATOMS (LP) 12”
47. Main Source - Live At The Barbeque (Instrumental) [Prod. by The Large Professor - 1991] Wild Pitch BREAKING ATOMS (LP) 12”
48. Outro with The Friendly Traveler, Wicked & Raymundo
49. The Large Professor on The Stretch Armstrong Show with Stretch & Bobbito on 89.9 WKCR New York 11/11/1993 (tape) *
* Featuring Organized Konfusion, O.C., Mr. Complex, Kool Keith, T.R. Love, Cage, Lord Sear and T2 with all beats played LIVE off The Large Professor’s SP-1200.

siddx

Can you share the tracklist? I'd like to make my own version, but I'm sure you know their catalog better than me.

Sure, if there are any tracks you don't recognize and can't place let me know and I'll tell you where they are from.

Angry Clown

01. Watch Out
02. Shoulda Known
03. Godlovesugly
04 Musical Chairs
05.. Less One
06. Trying To Find A Balance
07. Panic Attack
08. One Of A Kind
09. That's Not Beef, That's Pork
10. Step by Step
11. Flesh Ft. I Self Divine
12. Primer (Hidden Track)
13. The Bass And The Movement
14. Millennium Dodo
15. Millennium Dodo 2
16. Little Math You
17. The Major Leagues
18. That Night
19. Shrapnel

Happy Clown

01. RFTC
02. Guns and Cigarettes
03. THE ROPES
04. Don't Forget
05. Peyote
06. 66th Street
07. FEEL GOOD HIT OF THE SUMMER 2
08. The Best Day
09. Ha, This One Is About Alcohol Too
10. The Keys to Life Vs. 15 Minute
11. The Things That Hate Us
12. The Number None
13. In Her Music Box
14. Like Today
15. Angelface
16. Sunshine
17. Shh
18. Road To Riches ft. Cuts by DJ Plain Ol' Bill

Sad Clown

01. empty
02. Me
03. Not Another Day
04. Lyndale Avenue User's Manual
05. Say Hey There
06. The Woman WitThe Tattoed Hands
07. The Last To Say
08. Pour Me Another
09. MOTHER'S DAY
10. Good Daddy
11. The Waitress
12. The Rooster
13. Little Man
14. Yesterday
15. Carry Me Home
16. Modern Man's Hustle
17. Guarantees
18. My Notes

And there are a bunch of other songs I really like that I didn't fit in that I'll probably throw together as well into a "Random Clown" playlist. Also thought about doing a Felt mix as well but it had so many tracks from Felt 3 and Felt 2 and barely anything from Felt 1.

PBY

Banned
New Big Boi is AMAZING. I fucking love his albums, he always comes correct with a fresh, new sound. There is literally no rap album like it.

PBY

Banned
599x310_121212_chase_landing_nopics.599.310.jpg

Just got mah tickets. Unz unz unzzz

DominoKid

you like slug? for real?

HiResDes

Believe it or not, but Danny Brown is actually a really good emotional rapper or at least he used to be

Also this is what Kid Cudi set out to make with that concept album,

2007-03-24-monalisa.jpg

And this is actually what came out instead:

new%25204%2520%2520bloggers%2520mona%2520lisa%2520spoof.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom