• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

watching old Breakfast Club interviews...
clearly i missed the discussion about lupe praying over the white pussy lol cause this part is fucking hilarious.

mooooose

I was never into Kendrick before the GKMC hype started a couple months ago, and I found out about Q only a year ago so my experience with TDE is new.

It is CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY to me the way these guys have grown. I can't think of ANY new rappers who have progressed like these guys. Kendrick is probably 1000000x better than he was. His verses were similar to the way they are now but his flow is a ton better and they are significantly more intricate. His choruses have always been distinctly southern sounding and fresh now, and to him (similar to the way ASAP's style is old but fresh to the game NOW). Kendrick's style of chorus is southern but completely unique to him.

Kendrick is so much better now.

Q, similarly, used to really suck. Maybe I'm a poser but I just don't get his old stuff. His verse on Michael Jordan is embarrassingly bad, his other verses are at best similar in terms of quality and his voice and delivery are nearly the same but his adlibs hadn't come yet and his ability to make a song wasn't as good as it is now. He just understands how to make songs a lot better now, because he's not necessarily the best rapper but he makes good songs.

HiResDes

Clyde Clarkson is cool, but dude just sounds too lazy like beyond Spitta levels on many of these tracks, also after E-40 comes on I just wish he was featured on every song.

overcast

"Schoolboy Q is the male Nicki Minaj"
tumblr_m5n0goZ3Zi1ru6j58o1_500.gif

DominoKid

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/12/25-rap-albums-from-the-past-decade-that-deserve-classic-status/

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix
Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity
T.I. - Trap Muzik
OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Madvillain - Madvillainy
The Game - The Documentary
Common - Be
Young Jeezy - Let's Get It: Thug Motivation 101
Lupe Fiasco - F&L
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Sean Price - Jesus Price Superstar
Kanye West - Graduation
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Waka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli
Kid Cudi - Man On the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne
Drake - Take Care
Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

thoughts?

Jitters

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/12/25-rap-albums-from-the-past-decade-that-deserve-classic-status/

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix
Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be
Lupe Fiasco - F&L
Kanye West - Graduation
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Drake - Take Care

thoughts?
These for sure.

Grzi

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix
Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be
Lupe Fiasco - F&L
Kanye West - Graduation
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Drake - Take Care

thoughts?

Kendrick still needs some time.

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix
Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be
Lupe Fiasco - F&L
Kanye West - Graduation
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Drake - Take Care

thoughts?

People, mainly old hip hip heads like myself, are often quite obstructionist when it comes to the idea of "new" classics. Personally the idea of a classic album shouldn't be tethered to "is this as good as Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc" arguments. A more logical argument is the one that makes Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc classic in the first place: "did this album have an undeniable impact on the genre." It shouldn't just be focused on what is a perfect album.

College Dropout had an unmistakable impact on the genre, for instance; it's certainly a classic album based on impact. On the other hand I don't see any argument for the Black Album being classic, or Documentary; they sold a lot but I'm not sure they had any specific impact on hip hop that can be measured.

On the flip side Graduation basically ushered in the electronic shit that dominates multiple genres today. I didn't like Graduation, in fact I think it's an average album at best...but I'm not going to deny its impact and would consider it classic.

I'm about to go to work so I can't really go album for album on there, but right quick: Madvillainy's impact is undeniable, it's one of the biggest "underground" albums in years. Whereas while Jesus Price Superstar was an amazing underground album, what impact did it have?

T Dollarz

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix

Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be
Lupe Fiasco - F&L

Kanye West - Graduation
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Drake - Take Care

thoughts?

These are dope albums, but not all classics

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix
Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
T.I. - Trap Muzik

Jay-Z - The Black Album
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be

Lupe Fiasco - F&L

Kanye West - Graduation
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Drake - Take Care

thoughts?
Umm.. WTF?

T Dollarz

People, mainly old hip hip heads like myself, are often quite obstructionist when it comes to the idea of "new" classics. Personally the idea of a classic album shouldn't be tethered to "is this as good as Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc" arguments. A more logical argument is the one that makes Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc classic in the first place: "did this album have an undeniable impact on the genre." It shouldn't just be focused on what is a perfect album.

College Dropout had an unmistakable impact on the genre, for instance; it's certainly a classic album based on impact. On the other hand I don't see any argument for the Black Album being classic, or Documentary; they sold a lot but I'm not sure they had any specific impact on hip hop that can be measured.

On the flip side Graduation basically ushered in the electronic shit that dominates multiple genres today. I didn't like Graduation, in fact I think it's an average album at best...but I'm not going to deny its impact and would consider it classic.

I'm about to go to work so I can't really go album for album on there, but right quick: Madvillainy's impact is undeniable, it's one of the biggest "underground" albums in years. Whereas while Jesus Price Superstar was an amazing underground album, what impact did it have?

The Documentary is of much better quality than Graduation tho, which is about on par with the Black album.

HiResDes

A record can age horribly and still be considered a classic. People like Eminem's stuff. Rakim's beats get boring very quickly now. GKMC is making an impact in terms critical reception that rivals such modern classics such as TCD and GRoDT. Also the album is having an incredible influence on many of his contemporaries.

Grzi

A record can age horribly and still be considered a classic. People like Eminem's stuff. Rakim's beats get boring very quickly now. GKMC is making an impact in terms critical reception that rivals such modern classics such as TCD and GRoDT. Also the album is having an incredible influence on many of his contemporaries.

Really? LOL

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Scarface - The Fix
Nas - The Lost Tapes
50 Cent - GRODT
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Common - Be
Lupe Fiasco - F&L
Kanye West - Graduation
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Drake - Take Care

thoughts?

I like it. Even the stuff I don't cosign and I can understand the reasoning behind, a little too much Kanye brown nosing. Also this list its missing some stuff from Little Brother, (who I felt held the decade down better than anyone considering nothing they did sucked.

I don't know why Kendrick was added, once we go into 2010 there are a lot of good/classic sounding album already going forward. though since that is in this decade I guess the whole point of the article was for Complex to be able to say "GKMC" is a classic like everyone else is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah..

No. Maybe in the same nonexistent impact MBDTF has had.

And if a record ages horribly, IMO it's not a classic. If you can't see through and see the merit in something because of it's age, it's not worth being called noteworthy.

Grzi

You're incredibly adept at holding a discussion.

Well, you're incredibly adept at selling your opinion as fact, which is something I really don't like, but what are we gonna do.

Anyway, the album has been out for a month, I'm not saying it won't have a huge influence on hip hop, but as of right now? Breh please, there's no impact, at least not in terms of a classic album.

Also, critical reception means very little when discussing classic albums, although I get that being a wannabe music critic is your shtick, so I see why it matters to you.

T Dollarz

GKMC is the definition of an instant classic. Hires is right, it's had a HUGE impact on the industry since its release.

Also, LOL, who is this Grzi guy?

HiResDes

Yeah..

No. Maybe in the same nonexistent impact MBDTF has had.

And if a record ages horribly, IMO it's not a classic. If you can't see through and see the merit in something because of it's age, it's not worth being called noteworthy.

This is really really silly. Some records epitomize specific eras and movements. They posses such a strong connection to the time in which they were made that when listened to without context they tend to lose luster. Thus, being timeless is certainly not a prerequisite for being held as a classic. Being dated or feeling dated can actually add to an album's luster.

Now if you want to wait five or ten years to arrive at the same conclusion that I have after listening to GKMC then by all means go ahead. I don't have to wait. I didn't have to wait when I heard TCD. I didn't have to wait when I heard GRoDT. And I'm certainly not going to wait now.

Detox

Impact doesn't mean shit if I can listen to the album start to finish 5 years after release and enjoy every single second then it's a classic

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GKMC is the definition of an instant classic. Hires is right, it's had a HUGE impact on the industry since its release.

Also, LOL, who is this Grzi guy?
Yup, still waiting for examples of said impact outside of a few other rappers saying they fucks with the album and it kickstarting Shyne's period.

This is really really silly. Some records epitomize specific eras and movements. They posses such a strong connection to the time in which they were made that when listened to without context they tend to lose luster. Thus, being timeless is certainly not a prerequisite for being held as a classic. Being dated or feeling dated can actually add to an album's luster.

Now if you want to wait five or ten years to arrive at the same conclusion that I have after listening to GKMC then by all means go ahead. I don't have to wait. I didn't have to wait when I heard TCD. I didn't have to wait when I heard GRoDT. And I'm certainly not going to wait now.
So, an album deteriorating in quality over time adds to an album? I'm not arguing an album isn't a product of and characteristic of it's time and context. I'm saying if it ages poorly, thus doesn't hold up in quality over time, despite being influential, it ain't a classic. You need both for something to be a classic to me. It needs to be certified timeless in quality and influential. GKMC has proven nothing, Your sitting in the margin of error right now, ignorant to the potential effects of time on quality. But if you don't care about it and something's a classic because your just enjoying it at the moment, then so be it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yup, still waiting for examples of said impact outside of a few other rappers saying they fucks with the album and it kickstarting Shyne's period.

So, an album deteriorating in quality over time adds to an album? I'm not arguing an album isn't a product of and characteristic of it's time and context. I'm saying if it ages poorly, thus doesn't hold up in quality over time, despite being influential, it ain't a classic. You need both for something to be a classic to me. It needs to be certified timeless in quality and influential. GKMC has proven nothing, Your sitting in the margin of error right now, ignorant to the potential effects of time on quality. But if you don't care about it and something's a classic because your just enjoying it at the moment, then so be it.

There is no certification for either timelessness or classic status. It's all subjective so trying to quantify it is foolish on either side and on every level. If it's classic to you, then it is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kardinal tryna go for that Pitbull money.

There is no certification for either timelessness or classic status. It's all subjective so trying to quantify it is foolish on either side and on every level. If it's classic to you, then it is.
Of course. Music is subjective period, but if that's what we conclude at the end of the day it makes for poor discussion and that doesn't mean you can't discuss and compare opinions and merits (such as influence). Note the liberal use of "IMO" and "to me."

Enzo I'm curious, is your metric for what makes a film and an album 'classic' similar?
I don't stick the "classic" label on movies TBH, just differentiate for good and bad. But I do think things that make a good movie are rewatchability (I guess being certified timeless). Influence, I could give less of a fuck, probably because I can perceive influence much better in music than I can in movies.

Plus I'm weird and like everything from Pulp Fiction to Fast and the Furious. I like cheap thrills in movies more than I do in music.

HiResDes

Okay I'll admit I'm making assumptions, but these are a few artists I believe have already been influenced by Kendrick...The Game, Schoolboy Q, Dr. Dre, Rocky, and Lady Gaga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom