• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabiz

It might

There are plenty times when someone told me something and maybe at the time we were talking I took the la-la-la it's my music and I like it approach but when I listened again I heard what they were talking about

Didn't always change my opinion but sometimes it did

Some artist speak to your soul and that's cool too

Were on the same vibe. You can suggest music, or point out faults, but thats not neseccarliy going to change my opinion. Maybe it sounds snobbish, but I'm set in what i like.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
good point, and interesting to look at say "classic paintings" vs. "classic hip hop albums" and how we treat them. the mona lisa is a classic painting, that's widely recognized. but i don't really like it. it doesn't appeal to me. i don't want it hanging in my bedroom. does that mean i have bad taste in paintings?

also people throw the word "classic" at hiphop albums pretty often. example: gkmc is a classic, mbdtf is a classic. there's multiple albums per year getting called classics. with the mona lisa, we're at like 300+ years later and it's still considered a classic. in 300 years will anybody give a fuck about gkmc or mbdtf?
Its different. Influence is everything when it comes to paintings. Classic pieces of art create styles, are often radical, and usually create a movement spanning decades and more often than not an entire country, akin to creating an entirely new genre in music. They're also akin to creating entire genres in music rather than albums in sub genres because they're also usually not widely accepted at their times. With music I guess people care for quality more than influence, but even still quality is, to me, hardest to quantify in visual art vs. other mediums.

See Duchamp's Fountain for a good example of that.

HiiiLife

no. its a nice 4/5 tops. ali bomaye is a top 10 of the year track tho.

I'm at Pray right now.

Off first impressions, how would you compare it to Documentary?

Mind you I haven't fucked with Game since his debut.

Sure hope this shit knocks as much as Ali Bomaye.

HiResDes

Reposting:

Jesus Piece is good cover album. However, too often does the female/male collaborator disrupt a track's cohesion to the point where the religious/sacrilegious context of the album becomes lost. After hearing Holy Water I was hoping the album would mostly be compromised of dark, atmospheric religiously schizophrenic tracks. Half of the album is really good: Ali Bomaye, I Remember, Church, Jesus Piece, Name Me King, Pray, and Scared Now. See No Evil and Can't Get Right are prime examples of fantastic tracks marred by an overbearing singing hook. The sample in Can't Get Right is strong enough to stand alone. The lows of the album are really kind of cringe-worthy in my eyes. Blood Diamonds, All That Lady, and Celebration all try too hard to build upon the framework of previously successful songs and thus end up highlighting Game's biggest shortcomings in terms of his dependence on other performers and his lack of creative vision. A few snips and cuts and I think Game is left with a great album instead of a really good one. 8/10

I think it's my second favorite Game album.

Tokubetsu

Reposting:

I think it's my second favorite Game album.

Easily man. It's right behind Documentary. The beats are strong, and he's focused enough for most of it. Perfect storm I guess? Because this sounds like the album he's been trying to make for five years since Documentayr first dropped. Holy Water deserved a non bonus spot though.

HiiiLife

Easily man. It's right behind Documentary. The beats are strong, and he's focused enough for most of it. Perfect storm I guess? Because this sounds like the album he's been trying to make for five years since Documentayr first dropped. Holy Water deserved a non bonus spot though.

All I needed to hear.

Now I'm kinda geeked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jesus Piece is the first album Game actually was there for the entire recording, mixing and mastering process.

I'm kinda sad GAF likes it though cause now I can't use the hash tag on posts that are completely wrong.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I still have Doctor's Advocate slightly above but will have to listen a few more times to make sure

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Where I'm from, we go crazy with dem choppas
Selling dope, going diamond on my blocka

this shit goes hard as fuck.

HiResDes

Yo HRD,

You check that quartermaine yet? I cant stop listening to it.

Pretty aight. It's too old-school for my tastes. I just can't listen to shit that is too set in the 90s for long unless it has some sort of odd flair or isn't so positive. I like War of the Roses, and my favorite beat is the one he doesn't rap on, but overall I'd rather listen to any artist on MMG (Mello Music Group).

thabiz

Pretty aight. It's too old-school for my tastes. I just can't listen to shit that is too set in the 90s for long unless it has some sort of odd flair or isn't so positive. I like War of the Roses, and my favorite beat is the one he doesn't rap on, but overall I'd rather listen to any artist on MMG (Mello Music Group).

cool. Land of synth is getting a lot of play too.

We should do a mix sometime.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DA just doesn't have enough highs for me as this does or TD did.
I can see that but just went the album again yesterday making that mix and it is real damn good

Has a much more personal feel to it

Macca

This Kdot x Cole collab better be called "Good Kid, Cole World".

If not, I'm putting it under that anyway.

*shrugs*
Good Kid, s.A.A.d City

643EH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom