• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

eyebrows.jpg

A record can age horribly and still be considered a classic. People like Eminem's stuff. Rakim's beats get boring very quickly now. GKMC is making an impact in terms critical reception that rivals such modern classics such as TCD and GRoDT. Also the album is having an incredible influence on many of his contemporaries.

My hesitation stems largely from the immediate movement to declare GKMC classic; we don't know its impact yet. Conversely, Take Care's impact has been pretty obvious. In fact, one could argue Take Care's success is largely what paved the way for Kendrick on GKMC, and album he had complete creative control over after being signed off the hype of mixtapes. Just as College Dropout paved the way for Food & Liquor, for instance.

I think we can all agree GKMC is significantly more ambitious than Take Care though, so that's where we may see Kendrick's influence down the line. Labels already have a pretty specific blueprint in terms of signing artists who release successful, acclaimed mixtapes. We've seen this lead to conflicts over artistic direction in terms of what happened with J Cole and KRIT to a degree. I'm curious to see whether those guys, as well as up and coming artists, will get the freedom they want/need to craft projects as they see fit. If so I'm sure we'll be able to point to GKMC as a truly influential album, but right now it's too early.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Guys, I just had a dream that I was J.Cole. I looked like myself though. I was doing this show outside at night on this outside path illuminated by these streetlight kind of things. I had these 2 glove monitors and it made my hand hover just like J.Cole's holy shit. But the thing was is that I knew my hand wasn't capable of hover like that but these 2 glove monitors were like magic or something, converting my perverted hands into J. Cole's hovering one.

Cudder

Guys, I just had a dream that I was J.Cole. I looked like myself though. I was doing this show outside at night on this outside path illuminated by these streetlight kind of things. I had these 2 glove monitors and it made my hand hover just like J.Cole's holy shit. But the thing was is that I knew my hand wasn't capable of hover like that but these 2 glove monitors were like magic or something, converting my perverted hands into J. Cole's hovering one.

ok ok, no more 5am mobile-gaf posts

DominoKid

i wish a more entertaining rapper got the blocka beat.

other than the verses this shit is a hit.

idk wtf a popcaan is and i cant even hear travis scott on the track but its a hit.

young chop killing it right now. good music is all over it too lmao.

idk wtf a popcaan is and i cant even hear travis scott on the track but its a hit.

a popcaan is awesome and it's responsible for this

disclaimer: please don't try to read the lyrics, you might get an aneurysm.

//B1G

Banned
With all this talk of all-timers and rankings and shit can I ask why no one sees Infinite as a classic? I NEVER see it get listed but if you ask me it's one of the best hip-hop albums ever recorded.
The minimal beats, extremely deep wordplay and rhyme schemes, tons of replayability, just all around a golden production.

I want to get it on vinyl but the first runs are going for like $130

Eminem - Infinite

bowery

young choppa on the beat

Esch

Banned
With all this talk of all-timers and rankings and shit can I ask why no one sees Infinite as a classic? I NEVER see it get listed but if you ask me it's one of the best hip-hop albums ever recorded.
The minimal beats, extremely deep wordplay and rhyme schemes, tons of replayability, just all around a golden production.

Eminem - Infinite
generic as shit, boring subject matter.

Eminem - Infinite

Nowhere near as raw as subsequent albums.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Eminem - Infinite
Not that good is Why

//B1G

Banned
Damn, harsh words for it. Weird seeing so much praise for these newer and generally talentless artificially engineered dudes yet straight hate for something I feel like a lot of finesse and skill went into making. You knowww it took time to assemble every single bar he wrote. Idk.

This and CotC are at the very top of my favorite albums. Only maybe beaten by Capital Punishment. I guess wordplay comes above all for me.

//B1G

Banned
Dude talking about AZ being from PHX? Dude's a doofus trying to troll

> my mobile browser crashed so it can't hold up to all that stress.

DominoKid

im tryna go to church!

i like that song way more than i should for a song feat trey songz.

i remember is that good trap shit too. future killed the hook.

Damn, harsh words for it. Weird seeing so much praise for these newer and generally talentless artificially engineered dudes yet straight hate for something I feel like a lot of finesse and skill went into making. You knowww it took time to assemble every single bar he wrote. Idk.

This and CotC are at the very top of my favorite albums. Only maybe beaten by Capital Punishment. I guess wordplay comes above all for me.

I still like it lol I am an em stan after all.
Seriously though it has some decent tracks like the eponymous Infinite but it pales in comparison to his later work. And cosign on the wordplay, Capital Punishment gets a nod from me as well in that respect.

"Flawless victory you niggas can't do shit to me
Physically, lyrically, hypothetically, realistically"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom