• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Game review is spot on in his case, since the gripes the author put out there about "Game the person" are actually what makes the album bad. Song concepts are good enough. Beats are good enough. It's just Game's sorry ass that makes me unable to take any of the tracks seriously. Dude is just a clown.

Finally Rich is everything it should have been, take it or leave it. Basically, if like the Keef joints that leaked early, you'll like the whole album. There isn't a single track on there that goes against what you'd expect from Keef. The album honing folks at Interscope actually made the pacing really good and cut all the fat. That's the one thing it has going for it vs Flockaveli. There are only 15 tracks on it, and even though they all have that Young Chop sound, it someone doesn't get repetitive.

I don't think the first bolded quote is true at all. If you like the leaked tracks then those might be the only ones you'll like because those are the only semi-coherent ones on the album.

The following bolded quote is true, the album is exactly what you'd expect from a braindead street simp who seems more motivated to please other young male thug hopefuls than by the allure of women, artistry, or critical respect, as referenced in Love Sosa.

Sure, the guy has Asperger syndrome so I should probably cut him some slack, but Asperger's diagnosis doesn't account for Keef's utter retardation. His music can only be enjoyed when the production and the features are busy enough to conceal the stupid shit that is coming out of his mouth. He sounds like what a two-year old might sound like if he or she tried to repeat their parent's nursery rhymes. Keef's music can only be enjoyed under the influence of a cocktail of drugs including muscle relaxers, hallucinogens, and pain relievers to disorient the body in a manner where you can deceive yourself into thinking that the babble that's coming out of his mouth sometimes makes words, and that the jibberish being looped over the trap beats actually forms coherent thoughts or songs.

Interscope should be ashamed for giving him money. He seems rather incapable of taking care of himself or being able to think independently. Giving Keef money is like giving an infant marbles. Sure he'll have fun with it for a while, but in the end he'll just end up choking on his vices.

ecurbj

What is y'all take on Lecrae? Especially his latest tape "Gravity". I know he is labeled by many as a Christian rapper. He doesn't he himself like that. He said he doesn't want to establish that genre or bring his religious belief in the mix. He is just a conscious rapper apparently. Rapping about life, social life and etc.

Is he listened by anyone here or no?

DominoKid

Game review is spot on in his case, since the gripes the author put out there about "Game the person" are actually what makes the album bad. Song concepts are good enough. Beats are good enough. It's just Game's sorry ass that makes me unable to take any of the tracks seriously. Dude is just a clown.

Finally Rich is everything it should have been, take it or leave it. Basically, if like the Keef joints that leaked early, you'll like the whole album. There isn't a single track on there that goes against what you'd expect from Keef. The album honing folks at Interscope actually made the pacing really good and cut all the fat. That's the one thing it has going for it vs Flockaveli. There are only 15 tracks on it, and even though they all have that Young Chop sound, it someone doesn't get repetitive.

couldn't say it better myself wrt keef.

What is y'all take on Lecrae? Especially his latest tape "Gravity". I know he is labeled by many as a Christian rapper. He doesn't he himself like that. He said he doesn't want to establish that genre or bring his religious belief in the mix. He is just a conscious rapper apparently. Rapping about life, social life and etc.

He is a christian rapper, I'm sure the only reason why he doesn't want to be called that is because christian rap isn't exactly looked upon fondly within the genre. That's why lately he has been trying to make his music pretty accessible but regardless he still is one and you can tell by his lyrics.

He is decent though, I don't really listen to him like that though. Never listened to Gravity but I listened to Church Clothes mixtape.

ecurbj

He is a christian rapper, I'm sure the only reason why he doesn't want to be called that is because christian rap isn't exactly looked upon fondly within the genre. That's why lately he has been trying to make his music pretty accessible but regardless he still is one and you can tell by his lyrics.

He is decent though, I don't really listen to him like that though. Never listened to Gravity but I listened to Church Clothes mixtape.
So you would say his lyrics are preachy or about trying to convert the listener over to Christianity?

So you would say his lyrics are preachy or about trying to convert the listener over to Christianity?

He's a tad bit preacy, but I just think he tries to hide it. Braille is a really good one who you won't even notice is a christian rapper if that's what you are looking for.

Edit: LeCrae is still worth giving a shot.

ecurbj

He's a tad bit preacy, but I just think he tries to hide it. Braille is a really good one who you won't even notice is a christian rapper if that's what you are looking for.
I was reading this article about Lecrae in the October/November issue XXL magazine. And that's what led me to ask what I asked. Thanks for your post though.

HiiiLife

I had a friend that was real into Lecrae & Trip Lee. I didn't mind them at all. They weren't terrible, just didn't really put the time into listening to more of their music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what do you mean by Game-isms? cause the self-ethering and style jocks are at an all time high.
Style jocks maybe. But the biggest complaints, being on Dre's dick and name dropping not as much. Though I'm sure it's high, I doubt it's anywhere close to LAX and RED.

Jesus Piece is trash. You would think he would copy kendrick and make an awesome tale of modern compton with each song. Instead i hear tracks with 2 chains rapping about lambo's and the game doing a kanye accent. It pisses me off how bad the game has become.
Why would Game do that? Why would he first jack dudes entire album concept, and secondly do so without the fresh perspective that Kendrick has? Game is so far removed from that life and those problems now. It's like asking Ye and Jay to do albums about the lower class struggles, it's harder and less genuine. He has a more interesting and unique album concept than Kendrick anyways, even though its not executed as well as Kendrick's. If you want Kendrick, go listen to Kendrick. Complaining about Game jacking people's styles and wanting him to jack someone else's is some bullshit.

51133_o.gif

If you want Kendrick, go listen to Kendrick. Complaining about Game jacking people's styles and wanting him to jack someone else's is some bullshit.
And that's pretty much all that's needed to be said. Ridiculous.

overcast

Kendrick has raised the bar for rap music. You would think other rappers from his area would follow suit. I bet MC Eiht's new album will be his best yet.
Jesus man, I love the hell out of good kid, but why should people follow?? There should be some variety, not everybody will tell a story about Compton.

HiResDes

Lecrae falls prey to the Lupe downfall of not being able to pick production that mirrors the concept and tone of his rap style. Lecrae comes off cheesy when he raps about existential blemishes over poppy uptempo beats. I think Co$$ Instrument of Emotion sets a good rubric for how to create a strong religious concept

Trey

You know Game failed on delivering his album's concept when a Kevin Hart skit is the most poignant delivery of the theme.

It's okay to like the production. I think that factor merely makes the album listenable, but still unsalvageable. His flow is in such conflict with the braggadocious vibe of the album (and general masculine sensibilities) as to undue all credibility, and he offers no substance to replace or distract from that unfortunate element. Rappers are bodying songs they're not even on, just by virtue of Game's willingness to hand himself losses. It's almost to an obsessive degree.

As far as Chief Keef, I cannot be a patron of his shit. I see his exact audience every day, and it's depressing how many kids are growing up with that mentality. "No we don't use hands boy." Fuck outta here. I can't disassociate his fuckboy shit from his decent beats (a style of which is widely available and better used elsewhere). It's too real for me.

Esch

Banned
Stop playin.
shits true. whys everyone in his same position lookin real humble right now?

also man I liked the keef leaks but some of those tracks are so bad. I'm surprised you like em kamspy because like 30 to 40 percent of that shit is channeling some kirko bangz and t pain w/ the auto tune and dumb ass choruses

Was that a review of Jesus Piece or of Game himself? Those dipshits at pitchfork dont have much room to talk about embarrassing yourself, considering every review they write reads like an attempt to impress their creative writing professor. You write reviews, not fucking literature. Tell us how the album is or find a new bottom feeding career of equivalent uselessness to pursue.

You didn't even read the review. The introduction is a sure shot at him, but everything else is broken down to the tracks(Not in depth) and the emphasis on GAME's keen ear for beats. But other than that, what else you're going to say about the most mediocre rapper in the game next to Guilty Simpson? Breakdown individual tracks on GAME's lyrics? Fuck no. Review is spot on, shit, the review is better than the whole album(I do love the album BTW)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TBH I usually don't like "a day in the life" song/album concepts. Shit is so tired and done to death, it's a rap trope at this point. GKMC married songs to skits so well to tell the entire story that it made me pay attention. And the fact that there aren't any terrible filler tracks that are terrible songs but just included to tell a missing piece of the story. Real is the closest to that, but it's also probably the closest to expendable too. Also, because GKMC tackles the perspective of someone who still doesn't thrive off of the negative aspects and instead of that uses them for purely positive purposes by the end of it is what made it different, it's like the other side of stereotypical Compton rapper.

Esch

Banned
You didn't even read the review. The introduction is a sure shot at him, but everything else is broken down to the tracks(Not in depth) and the emphasis on GAME's keen ear for beats. But other than that, what else you're going to say about the most mediocre rapper in the game next to Guilty Simpson? Breakdown individual tracks on GAME's lyrics? Fuck no. Review is spot on, shit, the review is better than the whole album(I do love the album BTW)
for a second there I thought I was the only one who actually bothered to read it. my man.

DominoKid

TBH I usually don't like "a day in the life" song/album concepts. Shit is so tired and done to death, it's a rap trope at this point. GKMC married songs to skits so well to tell the entire story that it made me pay attention. And the fact that there aren't any terrible filler tracks that are terrible songs but just included to tell a missing piece of the story. Real is the closest to that, but it's also probably the closest to expendable too. Also, because GKMC tackles the perspective of someone who still doesn't thrive off of the negative aspects and instead of that uses them for purely positive purposes by the end of it is what made it different, it's like the other side of stereotypical Compton rapper.

It fell apart to me once the novelty of the concept wore off.
Still in my top 10 but barely.

sn: i love that chief keef is the new moral line in the sand for rap fans. its like jeezy & 50 (dboy glorification & ultrathug archetype) all over again. i remember jeezy used to have folks HOOOOOOOT over the stop snitchin shit and the snowman shirts.

To be honest, the reason I stop posting in this thread is because hip-hop has become very boring to me. Is a constant struggle with kids who wish they were in the 90's or studio gangsters that do dumb shit to get a few twitt trends(Looking at you SGP)The Kendrick Lamar album was the first Hip-Hop record in a long time that sounds like a record. It was well crafted and organised. It took you on a non egotistical voyage of musical bliss. The reason I gravitate to Hipster rap or Trap music is because is innocent, and while the latter is straight up fun. Is funny how a majority of rappers in interviews claim to be this or that. But they don't rap what they claim.

What I mean by that is, it doesn't sound honest, like a Freddie Gibbs track. Gibbs says stuff that you have to look up or be in the know. Even the visuals of his vids are not like any other out there. Yeah, you see a abundance of vids with guns on it, but in a gibs vid, you see the local crackhead baking and hitting that pipe, and your jumpoffs doing lines of blow(Best drug for party, fuck weed)

Not saying I condone the stuff from the Gibbs vid, but the sense of honesty in Hip-Hop is not there anymore. I blame the internet and the death of A&R in the biz, is a blessing and a curse. Hopefully, with how well the Kendrick album did, we get more honesty out of this MC's in the near future. But hey, motherfuckers are eating, so who cares.

thabiz

As long as the machine keeps pushing out the fastest product, for the fastest return, quality will continue to tumble by the wayside. Popular music shelf life is getting shorter by the day. It takes time to craft a quality piece of work, and labels are no longer willing to allow that. Only independent artists or the biggest of the big get that freedom. The rest get the shortest rope possible.

To be honest, the reason I stop posting in this thread is because hip-hop has become very boring to me.
Yup I had that happen to me like 3 times this year. I just slowed down and became more picky on what i listened to. I kind of blame myself too tho cause I don't have to listen to so many mediocre mixtapes but I enjoy finding that diamond in the rough. Something that completely surprises me.

Jitters

Thats what I pretty much said a while ago. There are so many mediocre mixtapes, I don't know how people manage to listen to them all to find the good ones without losing hope.

Thats what I pretty much said a while ago. There are so many mediocre mixtapes, I don't know how people manage to listen to them all to find the good ones without losing hope.

I just listen to one song, and make my decision on that. And I'm usually right just by that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I let GAF-Hop do the filtering for me, and even still I don't like some stuff, but I like having that external filter there, even if it may skew a certain way, as long as you get some quality at the end of the day.

I understand what Shinobi is saying though, and I kinda feel like that's what "real" hip-hop is to folks. It's honesty in your craft, whatever that craft may be. That's why I rag on folks in this thread for criticizing shit for not being what it's trying to be, or people making wild, stupid nonsensical claims like kamspy. Sometimes, face value is all that matters and everything else is just overanalysis.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I agree on the clown shit cause Game is a clown because he doesn't give a fuck to the point its a negative but dammit that was a good album.... I'm gonna have to slot it in my top 10 for the year....

listening to Good Kid mAAD City, shits pretty dope, i donno why i sat on this for a while lol.

weird no dre beats despite 2 features and being on Aftermath /shrug

I let GAF-Hop do the filtering for me, and even still I don't like some stuff, but I like having that external filter there, even if it may skew a certain way, as long as you get some quality at the end of the day.

I understand what Shinobi is saying though, and I kinda feel like that's what "real" hip-hop is to folks. It's honesty in your craft, whatever that craft may be. That's why I rag on folks in this thread for criticizing shit for not being what it's trying to be, or people making wild, stupid nonsensical claims like kamspy. Sometimes, face value is all that matters and everything else is just overanalysis.

Exactly, regardless of the genre of rap you're making. That's why I laugh at people saying how bad Chief Keef is at rapping. He is not trying to be "93 Nas" or GZA, and he knows that. The kid is saying what he only knows. I mean, he doesn't even name drop his affiliates on his albums or mixtapes, he lets the street do that for him. The kid knows how to carry a melody, something a lot of artist don't know how to do.

Then you have others who think that real hip-hop is going political on some wannbe Dead Prez shit, or doing Wu-Tang type beats on the MPC...Is fucking annoying as hell when upcoming artist are screaming "This is Real Hip-Hop" before their sets start but they're saying the same shit mainstream artist are saying. Even some vets are at fault as well. Shit is boring, and LIL B needs to save us all.

listening to Good Kid mAAD City, shits pretty dope, i donno why i sat on this for a while lol.

weird no dre beats despite 2 features and being on Aftermath /shrug

Because Dre used all the dope loops already.

Exactly, regardless of the genre of rap you're making. That's why I laugh at people saying how bad Chief Keef is at rapping. He is not trying to be "93 Nas" or GZA, and he knows that. The kid is saying what he only knows. I mean, he doesn't even name drop his affiliates on his albums or mixtapes, he lets the street do that for him. The kid knows how to carry a melody, something a lot of artist don't know how to do.

Then you have others who think that real hip-hop is going political on some wannbe Dead Prez shit, or doing Wu-Tang type beats on the MPC...Is fucking annoying as hell when upcoming artist are screaming "This is Real Hip-Hop" before their sets start but they're saying the same shit mainstream artist are saying. Even some vets are at fault as well. Shit is boring, and LIL B needs to save us all.

So what you are saying is Hip Hop = Video Games?

bowery

wow citgo sounds like keef rapping over a toro y moi track but its still good haha

also fuck underground rap and people that swear by it, not even underground rappers want to be underground

I don't what you mean by that, explain.

I quoted the wrong post at first but here you go

To be honest, the reason I stop posting in this thread is because hip-hop has become very boring to me. Is a constant struggle with kids who wish they were in the 90's or studio gangsters that do dumb shit to get a few twitt trends(Looking at you SGP)

I related the kids who wish they were in the 90's with indie games, and studio gangsters with the twitt trends for games that want that cod money. Not the most detailed argument and pretty flawed by some really great gems, but it's what I initially thought of.

The Kendrick Lamar album was the first Hip-Hop record in a long time that sounds like a record. It was well crafted and organised. It took you on a non egotistical voyage of musical bliss. The reason I gravitate to Hipster rap or Trap music is because is innocent, and while the latter is straight up fun. Is funny how a majority of rappers in interviews claim to be this or that. But they don't rap what they claim.

I related Kendrick here with games that really have taken up my time or were just memorable or simply really fantastic experiences (Soul series). The hipster rap can be brought back to those fun digestible indie/phone arcade like games (or ones that are just mechanics based with no fluff); while trap would be that enjoyable romp like CoD where it's just straight up fun to play.

What I mean by that is, it doesn't sound honest, like a Freddie Gibbs track. Gibbs says stuff that you have to look up or be in the know. Even the visuals of his vids are not like any other out there. Yeah, you see a abundance of vids with guns on it, but in a gibs vid, you see the local crackhead baking and hitting that pipe, and your jumpoffs doing lines of blow(Best drug for party, fuck weed)Not saying I condone the stuff from the Gibbs vid, but the sense of honesty in Hip-Hop is not there anymore. I blame the internet and the death of A&R in the biz, is a blessing and a curse. Hopefully, with how well the Kendrick album did, we get more honesty out of this MC's in the near future. But hey, motherfuckers are eating, so who cares.

Lastly this reminded me of big franchises that try to say they are true to their roots, that authentic feel if you will, but are just dumbed down experiences that often bore me most of the time. (Hitman, Splinter Cell, Shocks, most reboots etc..)

I quoted the wrong post at first but here you go

I related the kids who wish they were in the 90's with indie games, and studio gangsters with the twitt trends for games that want that cod money. Not the most detailed argument and pretty flawed by some really great gems, but it's what I initially thought of.

I related Kendrick here with games that really have taken up my time or were just memorable or simply really fantastic experiences (Soul series). The hipster rap can be brought back to those fun digestible indie/phone arcade like games (or ones that are just mechanics based with no fluff) or some other enjoyable romp like a CoD where it's just straight up fun to play.

Lastly this reminded me of big franchises that try to say they are true to their roots, that authentic feel if you will, but are just dumbed down experiences that often bore me most of the time. (Hitman, Splinter Cell, Shocks, most reboots etc..)
Oh I see. And good example on the whole indie argument. Actually, all of them. Great post. You know how many times I look away at indie games because they went with 16bit graphics? A lot. Is like some are trying WAY to hard, while others make it work as a artstyle that fits the world, like HOTLINE, Super Meatboy and Sword And Sorcery for example. And you're 100% right about COD. People look to much into it. People act like they compete in MLG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom