• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Surprised to see that there are more Keef defenders than critics, I never thought id admit this but I miss Recon

I understand the people who are into the singles and shit but man..... anyone arguing thats a good straight listen through is out of their mind.

on the video games = hip hop thing, it kind of reflects the idea that the "B/C tier" doesn't really exist anymore in a lot of places, so a lot of times it seems like it's only indie on one extreme, or major corporate backer on the other.

So you have your bandcamp artists, free mixtapes, and PSN/XBLA/Steam/iOS games on one end, and then your major label artists and Halo/COD/Assassin's Creed on the other.

That said, I do kinda see the benefits of this in some ways as a consumer (shit, I've never had access to so much cheap entertainment at one time), but I have no idea how sustainable it is from a "health of the industry" standpoint. And as someone that works at a B/C tier game studio who has seen coworkers laid off, it does worry me a bit :/

And hell, it's probably a lot of other industries going through the same thing (movies? retail? food service?). I can't make a definitive statement since I haven't researched it enough, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a strong correlation with this phenomenon and our increasingly pro-corporate society and policies in general. And I'm sure Wal-Mart is to blame somehow. Haha.

CRS

Am I weird that I can't really listen to mixes at all? Not just hip-hop but the mixes posted on the electronic thread as well, I can't listen to it.

I guess it's a bit of a curse that I prefer listening to entire albums all the way through. I'll listen to a song and end up looking for the album it came from and listen to that instead. I'll end up listening to a mix because it really interests me and I might like it a lot, but rarely do I go back to it. It's strange because I was the total opposite when I was younger.

Surprised to see that there are more Keef defenders than critics, I never thought id admit this but I miss Recon

Not defending his album, but the artist at being honest. And truth be told, 90% of rap albums are not worth for straight listens. Just pick a few tracks, and be done with it.

Esch

Banned
Am I weird that I can't really listen to mixes at all? Not just hip-hop but the mixes posted on the electronic thread as well, I can't listen to it.

I guess it's a bit of a curse that I prefer listening to entire albums all the way through. I'll listen to a song and end up looking for the album it came from and listen to that instead. I'll end up listening to a mix because it really interests me and I might like it a lot, but rarely do I go back to it. It's strange because I was the total opposite when I was younger.
mixes are great for two things: partying and driving, where you shouldnt be fiddling with your Mp3 player or phone trying to put shit together. A playlist serves the same purpose for both, but with mixes you can get some cool splices of beats and verses and shit, or tweaking. Like that Hudmo TNGHT mix that uses that Jackie Chain song but its been chopped and screwed?

mmmm.

mixes are great for two things: partying and driving, where you shouldnt be fiddling with your Mp3 player or phone trying to put shit together. A playlist serves the same purpose for both, but with mixes you can get some cool splices of beats and verses and shit, or tweaking. Like that Hudmo TNGHT mix that uses that Jackie Chain song but its been chopped and screwed?

mmmm.

Pretty much or when you are doing some activity like working out. Shit works great in that way because albums typically have their more slower moments and such, but a mix typically keeps up the tempo.

DominoKid

welp i caved and bought some Beats.
merry xmas to me.

i dont get the difference between the Studio, Executive and Mixr versions though. seems a bit oversaturated.

illadelph

What did you guys think of Ice-Ts Art of Rap movie? It's on Netflix I might watch it.

It was really enjoyable, definitely worth a look. I wish they talked more in depth about certain writing techniques and such, but the way they cut it, a lot of mcs just end up spitting a verse or whatever with minimal insight on rapping as an art. For example, there is a trailer or clip on youtube with Immortal Technique where is talking about before he writes, he makes himself physically hungry, but they cut that part out in the movie. That was more of the stuff I was hoping to hear.

Still really cool though, check it out.

Cudder

merry xmas to me.

i dont get the difference between the Studio, Executive and Mixr versions though. seems a bit oversaturated.

What kind did you get? Beats are definitely overpriced, but everyone needs to stop acting like they're shit headphones. Yeah, casuals think they're the best thing on the market, but at least it's not like most celebrity endorsed products out there where the product is actually shit.

CRS

mmmm.
They used Parked Outside? If they did, I kinda need to listen to that. I understand it's use at parties and social gatherings, but not while driving. When I would drive, that's where I'd listen to new albums and catch up on a lot of music on my to do list.

Pretty much or when you are doing some activity like working out. Shit works great in that way because albums typically have their more slower moments and such, but a mix typically keeps up the tempo.

Everything has its place and time, and I agree but it's gotten to the point where I would still listen to full albums while working out.

plug is the place is where I've listened to the most "mixes".

I don't think the first bolded quote is true at all. If you like the leaked tracks then those might be the only ones you'll like because those are the only semi-coherent ones on the album.

The following bolded quote is true, the album is exactly what you'd expect from a braindead street simp who seems more motivated to please other young male thug hopefuls than by the allure of women, artistry, or critical respect, as referenced in Love Sosa.

Sure, the guy has Asperger syndrome so I should probably cut him some slack, but Asperger's diagnosis doesn't account for Keef's utter retardation. His music can only be enjoyed when the production and the features are busy enough to conceal the stupid shit that is coming out of his mouth. He sounds like what a two-year old might sound like if he or she tried to repeat their parent's nursery rhymes. Keef's music can only be enjoyed under the influence of a cocktail of drugs including muscle relaxers, hallucinogens, and pain relievers to disorient the body in a manner where you can deceive yourself into thinking that the babble that's coming out of his mouth sometimes makes words, and that the jibberish being looped over the trap beats actually forms coherent thoughts or songs.

Interscope should be ashamed for giving him money. He seems rather incapable of taking care of himself or being able to think independently. Giving Keef money is like giving an infant marbles. Sure he'll have fun with it for a while, but in the end he'll just end up choking on his vices.

lol hoooly shit. I enjoyed Finally Rich to some degree (not as much as Flockaveli though). But this is amazing, just super-ether.

HiResDes

merry xmas to me.

Man the comfortable closed headphone market is better than ever right now. AKG K167 Tiestos are half the price and twice as good.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
What kind did you get? Beats are definitely overpriced, but everyone needs to stop acting like they're shit headphones. Yeah, casuals think they're the best thing on the market, but at least it's not like most celebrity endorsed products out there where the product is actually shit.

Agreed. I have some myself that would have been overpriced, if I didn't get them refurbished from the Monster Outlet store. I never thought they were terrible, but never thought they were as good as the hype. I wouldn't hate on anyone else buying them. Some may want beats. Hell, I bought an Infiniti and got tired of people with, "You should have gotten a Lexus!!!" Get out of my wallet!!!!!

merry xmas to me.

Studio is supposed to have Studio-quality sound.

Executive line was marketed at business travelers who want Beats, but want something a bit more understated.

Mixr are meant for DJs with the rotation of the beadphones themselves.

The sound quality is pretty much the same with all of them, just marketed at different people.

thabiz

Do you listen to any Jazzy Jeff or Premier sets?

Turntablism can have a much different effect than straight up mixes. Jazzy Jeff is from another planet.

DJ Shadow VS PC - Solid Steel

Not youre standard mix.

Man the comfortable closed headphone market is better than ever right now. AKG K167 Tiestos are half the price and twice as good.

Word, those headphones are very well crafted and sound great as well. And this is coming from a SONY guy. Those AKG's are no joke. I'm getting one soon. But, grabbing my MDR R1 first. So happy I got to fully test them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is it weird that I don't fuck wit mixes in general, but really like Girl Talk?

Maybe it's cause the there are still tracks that are made to still work isolated. Though, I still don't go back to 'em often, but when I do I love it.

T Dollarz

I have the studios. Besides the sound being great, I think their greatest plus to other headphones I've tried is how damn comfortable they are. I've had them 2 years, no problems. However, yeah they're at least $100 over priced. If something happens to these, I'm coming to Des for a recommendation on my next pair.

Also, I have a cheap $5 pair of ear buds for when I'm out and they sound GREAT. Better than the $40 Sonys I had before.

thabiz

Jazzy Jeff - Live From Nowhere

01. Notorious B.I.G. - Warning [ 02:54 ]
02. Black Whoa - Whoa [ 00:43 ]
03. Jay-Z - Lucifer [ 00:52 ]
04. Mary J. Blige - I Can Love You [ 01:10 ]
05. Notorious B.I.G. - Ten Crack Commandments [ 03:34 ]
06. Pharcyde - Passin Me By [ 01:14 ]
07. Gewn McCrae - Rockin Chair/blazhay Blazhay - Danger [ 01:54 ]
08. Fugees - Fugee-Lah [ 01:15 ]
09. Jeru The Damaja - Come Clean [ 01:25 ]
10. Jeru The Damaja - The Bitches [ 01:21 ]
11. Carl Thomas - Wish I Never Met Her [ 01:14 ]
12. Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix) [ 01:24 ]
13. Nas - It Ain´t Hard To Tell [ 01:33 ]
14. Lady Of Rage - Afro Puffs [ 01:08 ]
15. Rahzel - All I Know [ 01:23 ]
16. De La Soul - Ohh [ 00:46 ]
17. Flipmode Squad - Take That [ 01:01 ]
18. The Roots - Love Of My Life [ 01:28 ]
19. Das Efx - Hip Hop [ 01:52 ]
20. Ol Dirty Bastard - Brooklyn Zoo [ 01:15 ]
21. Keith Murray - The Rhyme (Slum Village Remix) [ 01:16 ]
22. Slum Village - The Look Of Love [ 00:51 ]
23. The Roots - Dynamite [ 02:54 ]
24. The Roots - Ain´t Sayin Nothin New [ 01:39 ]
25. A Tribe Called Quest - The Love [ 01:53 ]
26. A Tribe Called Quest - Find A Way [ 01:15 ]
27. Jay-Z - 99 Problems (Pete Rock Remix) [ 01:10 ]
28. Pete Rock & Grand Agent - This Is What They Meant [ 01:50 ]
29. Mobb Deep - Survival Of The Fittest [ 01:41 ]
30. Notorious B.I.G. - I Got A Story To Tell [ 01:43 ]
31. Notorious B.I.G. - Machine Gun Funk [ 01:00 ]
32. Krs One - Sound Of The Police (Interlude) [ 00:20 ]
33. Krs One - Black Cop [ 01:29 ]
34. Krs One - Outta Here [ 02:08 ]
35. Krs One - Step Into A World (Rapture´s Delight) [ 00:54 ]
36. Gangstarr - Dwyck [ 02:27 ]
37. Gangstarr - Mass Appeal [ 01:02 ]
38. Gangstarr - Code Of The Streets [ 00:53 ]
39. Fugees - Nappy Heads (Remix) [ 01:47 ]
40. Mantronik - Fresh Is The World (Interlude) [ 00:23 ]
41. A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation [ 02:45 ]
42. Das Efx - Jussummen (Pete Rock Remix) [ 02:14 ]
43. Brand Nubians - Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down [ 01:31 ]
44. The Liks - Make Room [ 00:24 ]
45. Krs One - Return Of The Boom Bap [ 01:41 ]
46. Cru - Just Another Case [ 01:12 ]
47. Diamond D - Sally Got A One Track Mind [ 01:25 ]
48. Krs One - I Can´t Wake Up [ 00:53 ]
49. Organized Konfusion - Fudge Pudge [ 01:24 ]

Still his best mix.

DominoKid

Studio.

I had the iBeats but hey fell apart on me. sounded great though while they lasted. urBeats look a lot more well built.

ecurbj

Since you guys talking about headphones. I have my standard iPhone 5 headphones and I have Turtle Beaches X12 I use for gaming and when I'm listening to my music through iTunes. But I want some good, knocking bass headphones.

What are some good ones for a person just starting out, and no one answered my question about whether Dr. Dre is releasing Detox or not?

Detox

Since you guys talking about headphones. I have my standard iPhone 5 headphones and I have Turtle Beaches X12 I use for gaming and when I'm listening to my music through iTunes. But I want some good, knocking bass headphones.

What are some good ones for a person just starting out, and no one answered my question about whether Dr. Dre is releasing Detox or not?
Detox will not come out until the headphones stop selling. It's too risky to release in case they damage the beats brand perception among the masses

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
At this point, I feel like Dre's only real value left is as an engineer. GKMC was mixed so fucking well

He's got absolutely nothing left to prove, either. He's the undisputed king of the entire West and he's being in game for 30 years. He can fucking retire and nobody would ever really be able to say shit against him.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Boundless NY Presents: The Ghostface Show by Teddy King & Mondee

Dubbed The Ghostface Show by the Boundless Crew because of Teddy’s 45 min all vinyl personal “Best of Ghost” mix – this mixtape is 2 hours of Classic Hip Hop curated by your family at Boundless NY.

AMAZING mix. AMAZING!

Absolute righteousness.

The Studio's sound quality is clearly shit compared to the other headphones in their price range. Is that better?

Mr.Fresh

It was really enjoyable, definitely worth a look. I wish they talked more in depth about certain writing techniques and such, but the way they cut it, a lot of mcs just end up spitting a verse or whatever with minimal insight on rapping as an art. For example, there is a trailer or clip on youtube with Immortal Technique where is talking about before he writes, he makes himself physically hungry, but they cut that part out in the movie. That was more of the stuff I was hoping to hear.

Still really cool though, check it out.

It was a really great watch. Glad I listened thanks! Reminds me I need to listen to Paid in Full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom