• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Anyone have a link that I can hear the new Keef album? I need something to hold me over until it drops tomorrow.

youre better off stabbing yourself in the dick, you'd get more enjoyment and less aural rape out of it.

The Tarantino one is great too.

Tarantino Breaks

tumblr_m6ajnuN9Vp1qh6cemo1_500.gif

mooooose

Cam'ron was too quiet this year. Disappointed. Vado was hot two years ago and then just disappeared... the career of a NY punchline rapper... sigh...

DominoKid

vado was never gonna be shit anyway.
cam...i have to think he just lays low because his guest verses are still good. i never hear of any solo work from him.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
NYC will be back. Too many voices for one of them to not make a difference. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that 50 was the new shit and he went diamond.

But you can't follow that up with Joell Ortiz and Papoose and expect not to have cats just laugh and laugh and laugh.

mooooose

Wayne loves Dipset because Dipset loved Wayne so they still have a chance of some relevance. When Cam was popping in 2010, he was really popping (Speaking in Tongues was a mixtape song and it was all over in Summer 2010).

Esch

Banned
It must suck to try and come up in NY. People there just dont seem to be having fun with it anymore. And the dudes who are getting buzz: Bronson and A$AP, are all doing just that. Enjoying themselves. NY is caught up in this hole of not emulating or borrowing anything from anyone else except for a few cats, and that's why they're drowning. It's been a minute since i heard someone with actually appealing bars from there and some interesting flows. The production game is weird there too. I just think the city's confused.

DominoKid

any New Yorkers in GAF-Hop? im curious what you guys think about it.

sn: 2 Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainz BoaTS has gone gold per his twitter.

mooooose

I'm from NY and have to agree that in NY we breed punchline rappers out the ass who all try to be different and everyone has a weird hook but I think the current wave of rap (ASAP, Bronson, Flatbush Zombies, MFN Xquire, Bodega Bamz, Das Racist) are really cool and though few of them will find mainstream appeal I enjoy their music than most of the South's and the west other than TDE.

Most NY producers are shitty too but the few that are making waves (Clams, Araab, Fraud) are three of my favorites to ever do it so I can't complain too much.

JgsPS.png

Q and Ab-Soul but no kendrick...hmmmm.....
Danny brown only does features on his Mr. Hyde tracks not his more deep stuff at least from what I've noticed. So that makes sense(definitely don't want to hear Kendrick on something ignorant, he needs work in that area). Well he said it's more mature so who knows maybe that'd change

codhand

Anyone appreciate this album? It's described as a spiritual successor to Raekwon's OB4CL.
Better than Mic Geronimo's album but he delivers here akin to the relationship Ghostface shared with Raekwon/or vice versa on their debut albums.
Real nice production. Buckwild, Da Beatminerz, L.E.S., Hi-Tek.

Iced Down Medallions is a classic!

I'm from NY and have to agree that in NY we breed punchline rappers out the ass who all try to be different and everyone has a weird hook but I think the current wave of rap (ASAP, Bronson, Flatbush Zombies, MFN Xquire, Bodega Bamz, Das Racist) are really cool and though few of them will find mainstream appeal I enjoy their music than most of the South's and the west other than TDE.

Most NY producers are shitty too but the few that are making waves (Clams, Araab, Fraud) are three of my favorites to ever do it so I can't complain too much.
NY here and I feel the same way.

On the subject of Flatbush Zombies, did they ever release a mixtape? I only see a few tracks here and there -- which are gold, mind you.

Yeah, Rustie producing tracks for him is so weird lol. Oh Kitty Pryde, just who I wanted to see.

Really excited either way.

Is it? Joker and Dark E freq are just as random and I remember an interview where he said he looks to the UK music scene for beats and stuff as he see us as the for front of electronic music.

Quake1028

I stupidly gave all of these to my wife as Christmas gift ideas. Can someone give me a rundown on how good/bad each are?

Big Boi – Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors
The Game – Jesus Piece
Masta Killa – Selling My Soul
Wu Block – Wu Block

T Dollarz

I stupidly gave all of these to my wife as Christmas gift ideas. Can someone give me a rundown on how good/bad each are?

Big Boi – Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors
The Game – Jesus Piece
Masta Killa – Selling My Soul
Wu Block – Wu Block

Honestly none of them are truly great. They all fall short one way or another. Haven't heard the Masta Killa, but the other three aren't bad, but there's nothing redeeming about them. I haven't felt the need to go back after the first week of their initial releases.

DominoKid

chicks would probably really dig the big boi album.
game is pretty straightforward. if she likes what's hot now then she'll like it.

the other 2? unless she's a stan, don't bet on it.

?uestlove’s Top 50 Hip Hop Songs (1979-1995)

his top 10:

10. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" (1981)
9. Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew, "The Show"/"La Di Da Di" (1985)
8. Public Enemy, "Fight the Power" (1989)
7. Beastie Boys, "Hold It Now, Hit It" (1986)
6. Run-DMC, "My Adidas"/"Peter Piper" (1986)
5. Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, "The Message" (1982)
4. De La Soul feat. A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, Queen Latifah and Monie Love, "Buddy" (1989)
3. N.W.A., "Fuck Tha Police" (1989)
2. Sugarhill Gang, "Rapper's Delight" (1979)
1. Public Enemy, "Rebel Without a Pause" (1987)

He has some pretty interesting stories/writeups for each one though, so it's more than just a generic list.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
That's what makes Tarantino so great. His left field casting is amazing.
Nothing is really left field with QT

From now on you will see a slave owner everytime you see Leo

Just like Jules with Sam Jack

Mr. White with Harvey

And so on

thabiz

Nothing is really left field with QT

From now on you will see a slave owner everytime you see Leo

Just like Jules with Sam Jack

Mr. White with Harvey

And so on

Ummmm....

John Travolta in Pulp Fiction
Pam Grier in Jackie Brown
Daryl Hannah in Kill Bill

to name a few. Im pretty sure no director in hollywood would have made those casting decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom