• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitters

I'm from O-Block, bitch, that's my block
I be wack? Ha ha ha
I smoke lye, lye, lye love gettin' high high high
Ain't no drop box, we go buy, buy, buy (Bang! Bang!)
She gone suck my cock like a "ba ba ba"
That's lots a guap, I make money, fly, fly, fly
Rap album like "ha, ha, ha", in my Au, Au, Au
They hurt like, "Ow, ow, ow", they smoking mild, mild, mild
Just got a check for "ha ha ha", cashed it like "ha, ha, ha"
I laugh like "ha, ha, ha", his bitch like my ride, ride, ride
Got a check for "ha, ha, ha", cashed it like "ha, ha, ha"
I laugh like ha ha ha, his bitch like my ride, ride, ride
If this isn't the funniest shit. lol

H85yL.gif

I be wack? Ha ha ha

Verse of the year in my honest humble opinion.

DominoKid

I be wack? Ha ha ha

im surprised someone could figure out what he was saying.

i just say HA HA HA or something that rhymes every few seconds. epic drunk song.

What is GAF-HOP's opinion on Brother Ali?

I can't get enough of his shit but then again i like Immortal Technique as well and he got shit on when i brought him up!

Can't stand him at all. His voice and lyrics is something I cannot relate to at all. If I want to hear someone bitch about America, I'll go to Youtube and listen to Louis Farrakhan speeches instead. Dude drops some knowledge and words. Immortal Technique, I fuck with.

DominoKid

Brother Ali is wack.

P4K's albums in the top 50 that'd be of interest to this thread

1. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City
2. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
13. Killer Mike: R.A.P. Music
22. Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
23. Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dreams
25. Schoolboy Q - Habits N Contradictions
32. Action Bronson - Blue Chips
35. TNGHT - TNGHT EP
37. Future - Pluto
42. Rick Ross - Rich Forever
45. El-P - Cancer for Cure

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Can't stand him at all. His voice and lyrics is something I cannot relate to at all. If I want to hear someone bitch about America, I'll go to Youtube and listen to Louis Farrakhan speeches instead. Dude drops some knowledge and words. Immortal Technique, I fuck with.

Not all of his shit is about that. It's only a portion of his subject matter. And he seems to be talking about it less and less these days.

take me home, forest whitaker, and tightrope all are on my "pimp hand of doom 9000 never need any other music ever playlist".
oh and bad muthafucka pt2 as well. he's at his best when's he's not getting all "burn the white devil" on us.

DominoKid

Rich Forever..
http://i.minus.com/ibtVpvaIlHe8VQ.gif[iMG][/QUOTE]

critics love it. regular folks love it. shouldn't be surprised by its inclusion on these lists.

*kanyeshrug*

i love it. best thing he's ever done. shame the seizures took him off schedule.

only hate i've seen it get is on the internet.

overcast

Rich Forever is mediocre as hell. I liked God Forgives a bit, though Rich Forever was weaker than an already overrated album. Plenty of albums that could take that spot, but it's an okay list and Bronson is on it. Which is cool.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
gfid and rich forever were both watered down trash. Ross can do far better.

IrishNinja

dom called brother ali weak...huh
so of course he's the first dude ive ever heard say ross topped teflon don

When your best track is a Chris Rock skit you dun goofed

even if i died a thousand deaths
when i resurrect: i'd still be meth, the jams'd still be def

not bad, haha @ jeezy

"homie got killed last night, bought him a coffin/retaliated that same night, made him a dolphin"

hitting this up next

Fun fact my DJ name comes from my old skool hip-hop name which meant About Countin Ends

lol so 90s

aw man, i love that acronym 90s shit though, and that one's golden man.
my mom caught me tagging NWA shit and i said it was for nick with attitude, and you know at that age i was like "yeah that's butter"

Esch talking about champagne and I'm sipping on this cheap ass 40.

You bougie asses.

haha pass that shit! hopefully it's more mickey's than ghetto shit, but anything'll do in a pinch

Everyone grab a wrist

damn

Kendrick and Killer Mike were my top two rap albums this year as well.

if we don't do a gaf-hop AOTY, these are my votes anyway, with a nod to MWTIF

DominoKid

^ brother ali is tainted for me by my roommate. can't do it.

a few things in the blurb about kendrick's album stuck out to me...some odd, some interesting, some i plain disagree with

Kendrick Lamar is the first to admit he comes on too strong. His 2011 album Section.80 was presented as a manifesto, and its visionary follow-up, good kid, m.A.A.d. city, is subtitled "A Short Film By Kendrick Lamar," and it's variously been described in even loftier terms West Coast hip-hop incarnate, a morality play guided equally by Jeezy and Jesus, the most important major-label rap album in nearly a decade (DK: haha ok. that's saying a whole lot). It's all of those things, and after selling more than 500,000 copies in its first two months, it's safe to call it something more simple: a hit record.

Don't underestimate the importance of this last fact. Section.80 was an auspicious and promising album but it was hardly flawless (DK: individually the s80 songs stand better on their own than GKMC). To improve Lamar needed investments of talent, trust, and money. Without a broader belief in his vision, Kendrick doesn't repurpose his thrilling lyrical technique to vividly embody the characters who occupy these self-contained and heartfelt parables. Nor does he unify them through linear and non-linear narrative devices that turn good kid into an open-ended soundworld as vast as Compton itself but as detailed and intimate as a journal entry. And you don't assemble this roster of production and guest rappers without expecting a return on said investment: Just Blaze, Pharrell, Noah "40" Shebib, Dr. Dre, and Hit-Boy create beats that serve as living environments, lush and warm when expressing joy in the experience of music and young lust, sinister and hard when penetrated by the gang violence and abuse of South Central L.A. that remains a constant in Kendrick's life.

The merger of multifaceted storytelling and exquisite music results in a tremendous payoff on "The Art of Peer Pressure", the 12-minute stunner "Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst", and "Real," ambitious numbers that likened good kid to similar art-rap opuses like Aquemini, Black On Both Sides, and, yes, Illmatic. But the overwhelming response assures its legend is still being crafted outside the controlled environment of critical opinion. Everything that made you second-guess its "classic" attribution is the result of earned ubiquity-- overuse of "ya bish," Lady Gaga demanding "her" version of "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" be heard, dozens of Soundcloud rappers butchering the "Backseat Freestyle" beat, frat parties misconstruing the entire point of "Swimming Pools (Drank)" (DK: glad the writers are admitting this. seen a lot of folks around the net in denial of this.), the debates about whether "Compton" was even necessary as a closer. Those are the cost of doing business when you ascend to this level of The Slim Shady LP, Doggystyle, or Ready to Die (DK: hyperbole through the fucking roof), records that are eternal for both their artistic achievements and their constant presence in cars, radio playlists, parties, and discussions among people who may never set eyes upon a year-end list. (DK: i honestly dont feel like it was that BIG of an album. no disputes with the quality. but i think they're vastly overestimating the ubiquity of it. it's not on that level.)

Towards the end of good kid, Kendrick's mother pleads with him to "tell your story to these black and brown kids of Compton...give back with your words of encouragement." The scope of this album goes far beyond Compton, but her words serve as a fitting coda for a song where Kendrick meditates on what makes him matter. good kid gives of itself. So while the achievement is Kendrick's, the music belongs to everyone: Whether it's other rappers, industry heads, or listeners hoping for redemption after being let down by the former two, everyone can leave good kid, m.A.A.d. city dreaming of something bigger. --Ian Cohen

overall im not mad at anyone who puts it at #1. its a worthy choice. i have it at #7 personally as it stands right now. Control System connected with me a lot more. i dunno, i dug what kendrick was selling a lot more on s80.

overcast

P4k is always using hyperbole when writing shit. I think it is a huge album in the way it has had acclaim across pretty much every base, and sold well (which it seems many were saying held him back from "classic status"). It'll go plat or damn near close and top many lists. So yeah, it's pretty damn big.

PBY

Banned
I literally never go back to gkmc. Prob won't make my 10. I respect/appreciate it, but it didn't hit me right. Maybe next year I give it another few goes.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, Life is Good was this year, damn now ive got a top 4 at least.

ps tend to agree with a few of dom's remarks there - nobody wants either a) that dude who calls everything a classic or b) that dude who calls nothing made after '98 a classic, but sometimes i think we reach a bit to fit a prior mold/height because we want (or for some, need) to believe stuff like that still happens.

not at all shining on GKMC because i agree with most of ya'll that it's a fantastic cohesive album and deserves its props. but if i was to put it on that tier, i'd need to be at least a few years removed from hearing swimming pools on the radio to see it, personally.

edit: pete i gotta see your top 10 man, i just gotta

I cant remember if ive asked this before but what are peoples thoughts on Angel Haze? I just came across her via her song "Werkin' Girls"
That song is pretty sick but the rest of the ep it came off it so so..

RJT

I can count, as long as you guys are ok with minor delays (I can't promise a day, I may be too busy at work).

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Matter fact, I hop out that mothafucka and be like
“Doo! Doo! Doo! Doo!…Doo! Doo! Doo! Doo! Doo!"

rich forever and GFID are both excellent. i dont get the hate

GFID was boring as fuck. Dreams and Nightmare is the proper GFID. GFID actually made Rich Forever seem pretty good to me in retrospect because I ended up revisiting that shit and was like damn this is really a lot more enjoyable
When is the AOTY thread going up?

whenever Tyler makes it, not sure what's up lol. He was claiming it not too long ago but hasn't said anything about it
I cant remember if ive asked this before but what are peoples thoughts on Angel Haze? I just came across her via her song "Werkin' Girls"
That song is pretty sick but the rest of the ep it came off it so so..

General consensus here I believe is that she has good lyrics, but can't stand her monotone delivery

RJT

Read what he said

Then it will become clear

The counting? I offered to count. I just want a AOTY thread, man. I need my fix... I'm feeling like Chris Rock on A Prince Among Thieves...

I'm not legit enough to do a thread myself, but I'll happily do the counting. My Excel skills are top notch.

I can already tell I'm gonna be MIA this winter break. Working 8 hour shifts next 4 days in a row. Keep me in your thoughts Gaf-hop.

Tyler, hit us up if you're still doing the thread.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The counting? I offered to count. I just want a AOTY thread, man. I need my fix... I'm feeling like Chris Rock on A Prince Among Thieves...

I'm not legit enough to do a thread myself, but I'll happily do the counting. My Excel skills are top notch.

Tyler, hit us up if you're still doing the thread.
lol chill out

We will have it

My top five for the Year.

1. Kendrick Lamar-MaAd City

2. ASAP-Love Live ASAP

3. Babylon Warchild-Gatekeepers

4. Captain Murphy-Duality

5. Wiz Kahlifa-ONIFC

That Wiz Album is smooth..Love it.

Trey

Yes:

GKMC
Life is Good
RAP Album
Control System
Habits & Contradictions

Eh:

Russian Roulette
Rich Forever
Jesus Piece
Dreams and Nightmares
Baby Face Killa
The Stoned Immaculate
Man with the Iron Fists
Food & Liquor II

No:

BoaTS
GFID
Finally Rich

HiiiLife

For my homies in GAF-HOP.

I hope everyone and their family's have a wonderful holiday. Going to burn one for you all, and hope everyone stays safe.

champagne_glasses21.jpg

+

spliff-300x178.jpg

=

happy-holidays-300px.jpg

Keep bangin those beats!

Stay safe and lifted. Much love.

Right back at you bruh. Got some Northern Lights and some King Size papers.

Brothers bringing the 151.

We finna turn up.

T Dollarz

I think I may have to back off the AOTY thread if there is someone else who can step up. I am infinitely more busy during this winter break than I was during the semester when I was at my computer all day.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
For my homies in GAF-HOP.

I hope everyone and their family's have a wonderful holiday. Going to burn one for you all, and hope everyone stays safe.

champagne_glasses21.jpg

+

spliff-300x178.jpg

=

happy-holidays-300px.jpg

Keep bangin those beats!

Stay safe and lifted. Much love.

1841454195-1.jpg

WRATHMATICS - a charlie brown beat tape

Grinding this weekend and spending time with loved ones after that

Looking forward to that

Hope everyone has a great time and takes care