• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of bum ass video is this. It's potrait and its sideways. Was this taken on a flip phone? da fuck?
Welcome back
I need to convene a Real Ninja Meeting with Toku, where is he? He knows what it's about

tguy not invited

Tek to the Mack and Thug's Prayer pt. 2, he goes in on especially when that beat switches up a bit at the end DAYUM. Really first 6 tracks are all fire. then it's hit or miss for me.

RELOADED

god damn

only songs I'm not feeling are Deeper (that vocal sample...wtf) and Peru. Everything else ranges from dope to fucking amazing. Tek To a Mack, Not Told, those fucking beat transitions on Thug's Prayer 2, fucking Death Parade...good lord. Last song is a great end to this

ohhhk.png

Tokubetsu

RELOADED

god damn

only songs I'm not feeling are Deeper (that vocal sample...wtf) and Peru. Everything else ranges from dope to fucking amazing. Tek To a Mack, Not Told, those fucking beat transitions on Thug's Prayer 2, fucking Death Parade...good lord. Last song is a great end to this

ohhhk.png

Pretty much.Tek to a Mack is a really solid opener it feels more like a mid album track haha. You could probably queue reloaded up with marcberg and the whole thing would just flow into each other. I keep coming back to Flash Gordon. I love how simple that beat is.

Does GAF Hop keep some list or database of good albums? In the Kendrick thread, I saw someone tout Killer Mike's album, so I decided to check it out, and it's just fantastic. I'd like to be exposed to more new (to me) stuff, but I can't sit in this thread and pore over posts upon posts of esoteric comparisons and tangentially relevant discussion. I mean, I appreciate that it builds and grows a community but I'm looking for just the highlight reel.

PBY

Banned
Does GAF Hop keep some list or database of good albums? In the Kendrick thread, I saw someone tout Killer Mike's album, so I decided to check it out, and it's just fantastic. I'd like to be exposed to more new (to me) stuff, but I can't sit in this thread and pore over posts upon posts of esoteric comparisons and tangentially relevant discussion. I mean, I appreciate that it builds and grows a community but I'm looking for just the highlight reel.

check the OP

Recon

Banned

Look at the OP. A ton of suggestions.

It's not. The previous OT's have previous albums. Also, check out HiRes quarterly threads (in the OP) and the GAF-Hop Album of the Year threads.
Thanks. Will do this.
Missing from what/when? BC the OP has releases going back to the start of this year
I guess I'm looking for GAF's like top 10-20 of the last five years. I can't handle 5 albums per month like some can go through.

Through the forum I was introduced to Black Milk and Killer Mike, and some other acts I found myself that I really like are K-dot, Danny Brown, and K.R.I.T. (although I only really like R4). I wanna like J Cole... but he just doesn't click for me.

It's kind of amazing to me that there is so much good hip hop out there. In the 90s I was really into it, so I was always looking up stuff that wasn't on the radio, Binary Star and such. Then there were a few years where I wasn't excited by any rap, so I stopped following it.

When I got a job that involves a lot of driving last year, and I was listening to a lot of radio, it was just Young Money artists. So I was thinking, "damn, these dudes are ruling the world right now. But... there's gotta be some other stuff. This can't be the summation of the current state of hip-hop."

In short, I'm way out of touch, but I've been catching up since about a year ago.

One act I was actually following is Clipse. I kinda wish they had gone in a different direction. Hell Hath No Fury was pretty raw, but after that, they seemed to lose their anger and edge, maybe cause they were free of Jive.

PBY

Banned
Thanks. Will do this.
I guess I'm looking for GAF's like top 10-20 of the last five years. I can't handle 5 albums per month like some can go through.

Through the forum I was introduced to Black Milk and Killer Mike, and some other acts I found myself that I really like are K-dot, Danny Brown, and K.R.I.T. (although I only really like R4). I wanna like J Cole... but he just doesn't click for me.

It's kind of amazing to me that there is so much good hip hop out there. In the 90s I was really into it, so I was always looking up stuff that wasn't on the radio, Binary Star and such. Then there were a few years where I wasn't excited by any rap, so I stopped following it.

When I got a job that involves a lot of driving last year, and I was listening to a lot of radio, it was just Young Money artists. So I was thinking, "damn, these dudes are ruling the world right now. But... there's gotta be some other stuff. This can't be the summation of the current state of hip-hop."

In short, I'm way out of touch, but I've been catching up since about a year ago.

One act I was actually following is Clipse. I kinda wish they had gone in a different direction. Hell Hath No Fury was pretty raw, but after that, they seemed to lose their anger and edge, maybe cause they were free of Jive.

If youre feeling Kendrick, maybe go listen to his other album, Section 80, and check out the other released from his crew, TDE. My suggestion would be go listen to Habits and Contradictions by Schoolboy Q.

Is it wrong that I hate Kanye for calling himself Yeezy cause now people who can't pronounce my name properly just call me that?

Fucking Kanye.

On the topic of Jay-Z. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but he only has one classic album which is Reasonable Doubt. He has one other good album, which is The Black Album. The Blueprint is extremely overrated with only one truly great song(The Takeover). Everything else is pure meh. Jay is a great rapper but doesn't have enough imo to be top 10 even.

Reasonable Doubt though is fucking amazing. I love the cocky mob boss character Jay has in that, cause he pulls it off perfectly. Even though it had by far the worst skits I've ever heard(the acting and dialoge before Brooklyn's Finest is horrifying), it is the only reason why I can understand why someone would call Jay his favorite rapper. And it's not even the best Mafioso rap album(OB4CL bitches).

Your wrong. Black Album and Blueprint are classics. Jays the GOAT, stay mad yo.

No what the hell, mixtapes are fair game

Rappity Rap AOTY List:

1. Mic Tyson
2. Rebelutionary
3. Black Belt Theatre
4. Respect The Fly Shit
5. Kolexxxion

My man Des

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Welcome to the Jay Electronica Show.... 2 years in Hiatus and counting...

IrishNinja

damn, as I'm reading those posts about SGP some dude outside my house yells at my neighbor: "WHATCHU KNOW BOUT BEIN A REAL N***A"

man every now and then my current neighbors do some trashy shit blastin music or arguing too loud or whatever, and my chick will be like "some ghetto shit" and im thinkin nah...still so glad to be away from this foolishness. no good comes from it.

recommending someone Jay Electronica, now that's just rude

amen

I don't remember the last time I listened to one of his songs. Fuck that shit, got too much dope stuff out there for me to catch feelings about this dude.

...I'm just gonna say one thing though. Many noteworthy mixtapes came out in 2009/2010; artists like Drake, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar and KRIT put big stamps on the game . Meanwhile there were more underground artists like Curren$y and Danny Brown who also released buzzed about projects. All the artists I mentioned plus many more are now dominating the various arenas of rap, translating those early mixtapes into big tours and later big record deals.

Jay Electronica released two huge songs in 2009 (Exhibit A and C) that blew up big time. He got a big record deal despite not having a fucking official mixtape to his name. It is now 2012 and he still hasn't released a mixtape or album. My point is this: he missed the fucking boat. We saw that 2009/2010 wave of rappers pop up, many of whom are on top today. Where's Jay? No one knows, and most don't care. That's what we call a wasted opportunity, ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure he got good money from his deal, but he could have toured like crazy off a mixtape 2-3 years ago and exchanged the hype for an even bigger deal.

that's it, I won't say anymore about that ninja

Tokubetsu

amen

I don't remember the last time I listened to one of his songs. Fuck that shit, got too much dope stuff out there for me to catch feelings about this dude.

...I'm just gonna say one thing though. Many noteworthy mixtapes came out in 2009/2010; artists like Drake, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar and KRIT put big stamps on the game . Meanwhile there were more underground artists like Curren$y and Danny Brown who also released buzzed about projects. All the artists I mentioned plus many more are now dominating the various arenas of rap, translating those early mixtapes into big tours and later big record deals.

Jay Electronica released two huge songs in 2009 (Exhibit A and C) that blew up big time. He got a big record deal despite not having a fucking official mixtape to his name. It is now 2012 and he still hasn't released a mixtape or album. My point is this: he missed the fucking boat. We saw that 2009/2010 wave of rappers pop up, many of whom are on top today. Where's Jay? No one knows, and most don't care. That's what we call a wasted opportunity, ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure he got good money from his deal, but he could have toured like crazy off a mixtape 2-3 years ago and exchanged the hype for an even bigger deal.

that's it, I won't say anymore about that ninja

Seriously. Every aspiring person...of anything should have a picture of Curren$y on their wall. Dude is poster child of just digging into your lane and riding that bitch out. Curren$y knows what he is and isn't and isn't. That's a strength.

Everynow and then Jason Goldwatch will retweet or tweet some shit that lets you know he's sad about that shit with Jay man. Dude travelled the world with Jay, and is sitting on lord knows how much footage and music but no one's ever gonna get to see it now. Meanwhile Jay laughing at everyone in some euro pad smoking joints. Jesus Christ.

I wanna check out some Curren$y. what's his best and where should I start?

Also lately I've been mostly listening to A Tribe Called Quest, Souls Of Mischief(I've only ever listend to '93 til Infinity), Jurassic 5 and Atmosphere. Gotta love the underrated(aside from ARCQ) rap group binge.

SoilBreak

Banned

Also lately I've been mostly listening to A Tribe Called Quest, Souls Of Mischief(I've ever listend to '93 til Infinity), Jurassic 5 and Atmosphere. Gotta love the underrated(aside from ARCQ) rap group binge.

Pilot Talk 1,2, & Covert Coup

HiResDes

Also lately I've been mostly listening to A Tribe Called Quest, Souls Of Mischief(I've ever listend to '93 til Infinity), Jurassic 5 and Atmosphere. Gotta love the underrated(aside from ARCQ) rap group binge.
Pilot Talk both of them start with those. And Covert Coup

CRS

Pilot Talk 1 -> Pilot Talk 2 -> Covert Coup -> #jetsgo -> Stoned Immaculate -> Cigarette Boats

And if you like what you hear,

This Ain't No Mixtape -> Jet World Order

Zeus Molecules

recommending someone Jay Electronica, now that's just rude

Well i am a bit of a asshole I admit it, but hear me out Jay Electronica was the frontrunner of all these new school rappers. The equivalent of the guy in high school who everyone voted most likely to succeed and for whatever reason never got it together and fell to the back of the bunch. These guys now are putting out the comparable work to the stuff he was dropping 2 years ago.

To even kind of grasp what this new school of rappers are about you should start at the beginning and work your way to the present. If not by Album then at least by Artist cause its cool as hell to witness their growth.

Pilot Talk both of them start with those. And Covert Coup

Finish off with Cigarette Boats. Those are the essential but his catalog is deep. His best singles are in my opinion "#JetsGo" and "Michael Knight", and "Scottie Pippen"

Esch

Banned
naw, flash in the pan fuck boys who never live up to their potential dont count for shit in my book. or anyone elses

i dont see jay e as having influenced anyone either so moot point

Macca

Got a little something I've been working on for awhile that should help with making some Gaf Hop lists. Hopefully I'll be able to share it with you guys soon.

Also thinking about making Kanyecycle.com. Ballin.

Zeus Molecules

naw, flash in the pan fuck boys who never live up to their potential dont count for shit in my book. or anyone elses

i dont see jay e as having influenced anyone either so moot point

nah man dude purposely fell off but don't deny the influence Exhibit A & C was a breath of fresh air man when they came out. Now yeah you can be bitter about how its turning out but give props for what it was when it came out

Esch

Banned
thats 2 songs bro.

I want you to think about the gravitas you assigned to jay e in that last post, and then contrast that with the reality of two songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom