• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
my oh my is dope. wings too.

dont think the dude deserves the hate at all.

I think people (rightfully) discounted him after hearing Thrift Shop, a pure pop tune. If he was signed to a label I would've been 100 percent sure that was his label forced song. Outside of Castles, none of the album sounds like that at all. Not even close. It's fucking weird.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Damn, 1 out of 4 is a pretty terrible average. But hey judging from your later response, I'm sure some legends will make some appearances. In terms of newer Bay guys you fuck with any of the Mob Figaz like Jacka or Husalah?

I think people (rightfully) discounted him after hearing Thrift Shop, a pure pop tune. If he was signed to a label I would've been 100 percent sure that was his label forced song. Outside of Castles, none of the album sounds like that at all. Not even close. It's fucking weird.

Rap game Tenacious D

PBY

Banned
Okay, though, for real. Thrift Shop is garbage. But the rest of Macklemore's album sounds NOTHING like it. It's more on some Atmosphere meets Wyclef on the Eclectic shit. It's more than having one "conscious" track, too. The album has some real substance behind it.

Wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAg3uMlNyHA (Song about how shoes can be more than something to wear, not original concept, but pretty unique twist)
Same Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0
Jimmy Iovine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwW6ERgpvo (Talks about walking out on a deal with Interscope)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjsJKYNlFTI
My Oh My: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjsJKYNlFTI (His ode to his city, vicariously through the concept of baseball, check the last verse)

Seriously, it's easy to think the dude is the LMFAO of rap because of thrift shop, but check out his album and keep an open mind. I'd Skip Tracks 2-4 (IMO).

Not hating, but I can't get down to any of this. Just not for me.

dvdjamm

Cover_Snoop_Dogg_Def_2.600x600-75.jpg

Is this real?

Cudder

The Heist is a good album. He touches on a lot of shit no one goes near in hip hop. But naturally, the upbeat tone and poppy aspects to it means it gets no respect from GAF hop. Sall good though, the album is doing just fine on the outside.

WanderingWind

The Heist is a good album. He touches on a lot of shit no one goes near in hip hop. But naturally, the upbeat tone and poppy aspects to it means it gets no respect from GAF hop. Sall good though, the album is doing just fine on the outside.

I get that. It's not Lil B or one of Kanye's flunkies, so it's an uphill battle. But, the poppy stuff is limited to 2-3 tracks. Looking back I see a lot of clowning on the record because of Thrift Shop. Which tells me a lot of the hate is coming from people who haven't heard anything beside the single. Which is his own fault, obviously, and not everybody is going to like everything, but the album is not Thrift Shop.

That's all I'm saying.

I'll be back to hating on shit tomorrow, but this was a pleasant surprise.

Cudder

I get that. It's not Lil B or one of Kanye's flunkies, so it's an uphill battle. But, the poppy stuff is limited to 2-3 tracks. Looking back I see a lot of clowning on the record because of Thrift Shop. Which tells me a lot of the hate is coming from people who haven't heard anything beside the single. Which is his own fault, obviously, and not everybody is going to like everything, but the album is not Thrift Shop.

That's all I'm saying.

Wait I'm confused. So you're agreeing with me?

And I think the poppy tones runs through the whole album. Lots of these tracks could get radio play, mainly because of the production and hooks.

PBY

Banned

That's all I'm saying.

Its good to like stuff man.

I respect the message he's sending out in some of those songs but I just can't enjoy the dudes stuff. And yes thrift shop is indeed horrible

WanderingWind

Its good to like stuff man.

I know, but when y'all are on some

Action Bronson is so cool.

shit, ya know?

Wait I'm confused. So you're agreeing with me?

And I think the poppy tones runs through the whole album. Lots of these tracks could get radio play, mainly because of the production and hooks.

I think they could get radio play. I think the more serious nature of the tracks will stop some of them. But yeah, I do agree with you mostly. Weird, huh? lol

You sound silly TBH. Plenty of albums in the past year or two have been liked by a good amount people and they have a upbeat and poppy tone to it. If they just don't like it, then they don't like. Don't start reaching for some ridiculous excuses. I don't like Macklemore simply because I can't get into his rapping ability. I honestly think he sounds pretty bad regardless if he is touching on some subjects that is rarely talked about in Hip-Hop

//B1G

Banned
what'd you guys think of Idigoism? I'm feeling it but i don't think it has any lasting appeal. i thought dudes were going to have a lot deeper bars tbh, but their shit pretty much solely consists of getting high. good beat selection though. some bangers in there.

what'd you guys think of Idigoism? I'm feeling it but i don't think it has any lasting appeal. i thought dudes were going to have a lot deeper bars tbh, but their shit pretty much solely consists of getting high. good beat selection though. some bangers in there.
I feel the same way. Pretty Disappointed.

hubes

That's all I'm saying.

thrift shop was the 5th single released from the album.. the first being my oh my was released in 2010.. it aint like he was trying to have people think thrift shop was what the album was all about.

cacophony

haha da fuck

err 10

Despite the soon-to-drop "Trap God" mixtape being Gucci Mane's third of 2012, he considers this year to one for "rebuilding". Gucci plans to drop ten projects in 2013, all of which are already recorded and ready to go.

"My goal is to drop 10 projects in 2013," said Gucci. "All albums. I gotta do it. I know the 10 projects I want to drop."

Gucci is on the perpetual grind, but some years the music just doesn't pop off like one might hope. "I feel like this was a rebuilding year for me, and my whole record label," said the Brick Squad Monopoly rapper. "Waka dropped a great album, but at the same time, I feel like it didn't get the push it deserved. So I said, 'This is the year I'm gonna power myself up and build my war chest, and regroup for next year."

err 10

Despite the soon-to-drop "Trap God" mixtape being Gucci Mane's third of 2012, he considers this year to one for "rebuilding". Gucci plans to drop ten projects in 2013, all of which are already recorded and ready to go.

"My goal is to drop 10 projects in 2013," said Gucci. "All albums. I gotta do it. I know the 10 projects I want to drop."

Gucci is on the perpetual grind, but some years the music just doesn't pop off like one might hope. "I feel like this was a rebuilding year for me, and my whole record label," said the Brick Squad Monopoly rapper. "Waka dropped a great album, but at the same time, I feel like it didn't get the push it deserved. So I said, 'This is the year I'm gonna power myself up and build my war chest, and regroup for next year."
Wonder if he can really do it.
well flocka and scooter started the year off right for bricksquad

Fast Forward & Shit where you sleep(Hardest chrous so far) >

There was one Gorillaz Zoe song I remember fucking with heavy almost 4 years ago lol

Lost

Lol, might have been a guilty pleasure. Damn this was a hot Drumma Boy beat

edit: fuck it haha, I like this song a lot still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom