• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

200k with no standout single and consistent weekly sales is of course very good
Did you miss Fuckin Problems going platinum?

Pretty solid sales tho. Can't see it doing much more than about 350ish, but that's not bad for a debut these days. Anyone know what Meek ended up at?

Macca

Who was that experimental rap dude des posted awhile back. Wanted to see if that was any good.
image.php

royalan

We not cool with the drive-by's popgaf. Fall back like her hairline.

LAWD you wrong for that. lol

Anyway, I had a much grander point that I was too drunk to make last night. That point being that...well, Azealia Banks shits on a lot of the guys you talk about in here. "212" is one of the smartest introductions to an MC we've gotten in years, and "Liquorice" might be one of the best tracks by a female MC period. She made that TIME list off the strength of a 4 track EP. So why is it like pulling teeth to get you guys to acknowledge female rappers...and not within the context of which male-dominated set they're in? Do you guys genuinely not think they're good?

What? We like female rappers and we have discussed them many times in the past.

I don't feel that Azealia Banks chick, though. I mean she's alright but nothing to shout about.

Tokubetsu

LAWD you wrong for that. lol

Anyway, I had a much grander point that I was too drunk to make last night. That point being that...well, Azealia Banks shits on a lot of the guys you talk about in here. "212" is one of the smartest introductions to an MC we've gotten in years, and "Liquorice" might be one of the best tracks by a female MC period. She made that TIME list off the strength of a 4 track EP. So why is it like pulling teeth to get you guys to acknowledge female rappers...and not within the context of which male-dominated set they're in? Do you guys genuinely not think they're good?

Everything she's done since 212 is try-hard bullshit. Yes, Liquorice included. You're also coming at us like we don't give props when they're due. See all the Angel Haze props that was going around a few pages back and a couple years back a few of us were bigging up girls like Eternia and K.Flay. Of course you don't see that shit because those artists aren't going for dance/pop money so they don't appeal to you at all. So don't come in here talking about pulling teeth when most of us aren't interested in this, it's not on our radar for a reason.

I dont really see why people like 212 so much. Maybe its just been tainted for me by dumb ass girls thinking they are cool for shouting "ruin you cunt" when it comes on but there are better songs on that EP.
Was Niki Minaj "good" before she got massive? Ive never really checked her stuff outside of features.

royalan

Everything she's done since 212 is try-hard bullshit. Yes, Liquorice included. You're also coming at us like we don't give props when they're due. See all the Angel Haze props that was going around a few pages back and a couple years back a few of us were bigging up girls like Eternia and K.Flay. Of course you don't see that shit because those artists aren't going for dance/pop money so they don't appeal to you at all. So don't come in here talking about pulling teeth when most of us aren't interested in this, it's not on our radar for a reason.

Liquorice is one of the smartest flows I've heard in a long time, so I disagree. Besides, didn't it come out the same time as 212? Same EP...

And I wouldn't necessarily say that Azealia's going for Dance Pop. She just released a song (BBD) that's more trap than anything, and some of her best stuff isn't Dance at all (Jumanji). So do you really know her stuff to be saying all of that? She caught the attention of Pop fans for 212 and because she uses a lot retro 90s beats, but I wouldn't call her a Dance-Pop MC...at least not yet.

Also...did you really have to reference a few years back as proof that GAFHOP regularly shows female MCs love?

Tokubetsu

I dont really see why people like 212 so much. Maybe its just been tainted for me by dumb ass girls thinking they are cool for shouting "ruin you cunt" when it comes on but there are better songs on that EP.
Was Niki Minaj "good" before she got massive? Ive never really checked her stuff outside of features.

If we talking honestly, Nicki Minaj is talented. She can spit. I think most of GAF-Hop can concede to this. I think the problem most of us have with her is beat selection but that's just the audience she's pandering too. The euro/dance/trashpop money for the most part.

If you listen to a track like "Monster" and you don't think she totally killed everyone else? You're crazy. She opened that beat up and shit inside it. Even tracks like "Come On A Cone" off Roman Reloaded are bananas.

Tokubetsu

Liquorice is one of the smartest flows I've heard in a long time, so I disagree. Besides, didn't it come out the same time as 212? Same EP...

And I wouldn't necessarily say that Azealia's going for Dance Pop. She just released a song (BBD) that's more trap than anything, and some of her best stuff isn't Dance at all (Jumanji). So do you really know her stuff to be saying all of that? She caught the attention of Pop fans for 212 and because she uses a lot retro 90s beats, but I wouldn't call her a Dance-Pop MC...at least not yet.

Also...did you really have to reference a few years back as proof that GAFHOP regularly shows female MCs love?

Did you just ignore my mention of Angel Haze which was as recent as a few pages ago? Most if not all of us don't care for Azealia so why do you keep bring her up? Why don't you give us more examples of female artists we aren't showing love.

Esch

Banned

youve come in here and argued this before, gafhop responds by saying we love classics by lauryn hill, mc lyte, lesser known gems like apani and jean grae, and like toku said we gave props to angel haze even recently. hell some people in this topic even admitted to liking Kitty Pryde smh. It really doesnt have to do with azealia being female, it has to do with her music just being lame as fuck. im not even gonna comment on her personality

royalan

Did you just ignore my mention of Angel Haze which was as recent as a few pages ago? Most if not all of us don't care for Azealia so why do you keep bring her up? Why don't you give us more examples of female artists we aren't showing love.

Are you referencing the few pages ago when she made headlines for beefing with Azealia Banks? Or did you guys devote some time to actually discussing her music? My bad if I didn't catch that.

And I'm just referencing Azealia Banks at the moment because of the current pool of female MCs on the come-up she was the one I thought of with the most potential (not so much anymore, though). But there are plenty of other girls who I find interesting (Banks, Angel Haze, Iggy Azalea, Brooke Candy, just to name a few newcomers...and of course the big Pink elephant in the room Nicki Minaj). And whenever I devote some time to catching up with this thread I rarely see these names brought up.

I also remember posing a similar question a few months ago in here (asking for recommendations for female MCs) and several posters basically admitted to not checking for female MCs because they're female MCs. Just thought I'd ask why that is.

youve come in here and argued this before, gafhop responds by saying we love classics by lauryn hill, mc lyte, lesser known gems like apani and jean grae, and like toku said we gave props to angel haze even recently. hell some people in this topic even admitted to liking Kitty Pryde smh. It really doesnt have to do with azealia being female, it has to do with her music just being lame as fuck. im not even gonna comment on her personality

Actually, I asked one time before, and didn't much argue because I didn't get much of a response. If you guys give female MCs their due in here and I'm just missing it (I do admit I go weeks without checking in here, but when I do check I read pages at a time), my bad. Educate me. But don't treat this like it's been an on-going back-and-forth and you've already proved your point. Because you haven't.

Rah Digga and Queen Latifah needs some name dropping too whenever Female MCs are mentioned.

And royalan from my searching, I thought we gave you plenty of recommendations as to which female MCs we liked the last time you dropped by.

Tokubetsu

I admitted to liking that one Kitty Pryde track even before she got Riff Raff and Danny Brown song and I know I've linked the Rah Digga track off the Afro Samurai 2 OST a bunch of times everytime she's brought up. Shinobi and I always bring up digga in conversation.

Also Nicki had the best verse on Monster for sure. Tbh, I don't say it much here but if she dropped an album with verses on par with that and that "Shit on em" song that is so hilarious. I would be a fan

codhand

Also Nicki had the best verse on Monster for sure. Tbh, I don't say it much here but if she dropped an album with verses on par with that and that "Shit on em" song that is so hilarious. I would be a fan

she peaked on that track too sadly, i also felt a strong sense she was biting busta on scenario, great song either way

Female rap T Love, fuego

royalan

Rah Digga and Queen Latifah needs some name dropping too whenever Female MCs are mentioned.

And royalan from my searching, I thought we gave you plenty of recommendations as to which female MCs we liked the last time you dropped by.

You did. You showed a lot of love for old school female MCs (and, ironically, Toku was the only one who gave me some recommendations for female MCs I hadn't already heard of).

I guess I was just wondering why there doesn't seem to be a lot of current discussion of current female MCs. I usually trust the level of discussion in here is wide enough that keeping up with this thread will keep me in-the-know on Hip Hop. I lurk more than I'll ever admit. But lately I've been finding that I have to go to my Pop sources to get any news on females in Hip Hop...despite the fact that it's also Hip Hop.

Jitters

I'm a pretty big fan of Azealia's EP. All the songs ware very quick and dance-y. I enjoyed it. Can't say the same for the mixtape though.

I also am a fan of Kitty Pryde. She has plenty of lines that are quirky and clever.

I also want to edit in here that 212 was one of my favorite tracks from last year.

CRS

You did. You showed a lot of love for old school female MCs (and, ironically, Toku was the only one who gave me some recommendations for female MCs I hadn't already heard of).

So which female MCs have you heard of then? Just list them all.

Why does it matter if they are female anyway? I just presume that if its good and worth listening to it will be in here at some point, regardless of gender..

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why does it matter if they are female anyway? I just presume that if its good and worth listening to it will be in here at some point, regardless of gender..

Oh,Jesus stop the preaching. The reason we don't about many current female MCs is because there really aren't many worth talking about. You know about Pryde, Eternia and Moss put out a decent record last year. Other than that what's out is garbage and it has precisely zero to do with their wedding tackle. If the game ever births another Lady of Rage, I guarantee you this board will go nuts about it.

But Banks?

Asking us to get all talkative about some reheated pop act with only the faintest of hip hop trappings is like asking Pop GAF why they don't talk more about Nas, because you know, he's done some pop songs before and what, do y'all just not strong black men???

Oh,Jesus stop the preaching. The reason we don't about many current female MCs is because there really aren't many worth talking about. You know about Pryde, Eternia and Moss put out a decent record last year. Other than that what's out is garbage and it has precisely zero to do with their wedding tackle. If the game ever births another Lady of Rage, I guarantee you this board will go nuts about it.

But Banks?

Asking us to get all talkative about some reheated pop act with only the faintest of hip hop trappings is like asking Pop GAF why they don't talk more about Nas, because you know, he's done some pop songs before and what, do y'all just not strong black men???

This pretty much nails it. My man is dropping truth here

I can't wait for the next "conscious"/"lyrical"/"smart"/whatever big female MC, personally.

I guess I was just wondering why there doesn't seem to be a lot of current discussion of current female MCs. I usually trust the level of discussion in here is wide enough that keeping up with this thread will keep me in-the-know on Hip Hop. I lurk more than I'll ever admit. But lately I've been finding that I have to go to my Pop sources to get any news on females in Hip Hop...despite the fact that it's also Hip Hop.
I can't answer this question for everyone here, but I have checked out a few tracks of the names that you mentioned and the reason that they don't click with me is that the content of both their own personalities and lyrics are both too over sexualized. Now, sexuality appears in hip-hop regardless and I would be lying if I said that none of my top faves have that theme but I feel as though these new girls are trying too hard to appear sexy or push out sexual themes, if that even makes sense.

Esch

Banned

But Banks?

blooddap.gif

Real talk some semi good looking chick should try and get in the j. cole early yeezy lane but for chicks. some awkwardblackgirl type shit. I bet she'd move units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom