• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

So cause they were released independently they aren't albums even though they are constructed exactly like an album, flow like an album, have about as many tracks as an album, and length wise is like most albums?

I don't get how mixtapes aren't albums now when they are pretty much albums. I guess I'm just weird since I also consider Section 80 an album which is why it baffles me that GKMC is called his debut. I guess I'm just weird.

Just because a mixtape is good and "flows" doesn't make it an album. Does an album that sucks and doesn't flow make it a mixtape? Your reasoning is ridiculous.

Section.80 is an independent album. GKMC is a major label debut.

Really? We are using that as a metric now?

Ah well, I'll just keep enjoying them.

Just because a mixtape is good and "flows" doesn't make it an album. Does an album that sucks and doesn't flow make it a mixtape? Your reasoning is ridiculous.

Never said that it had to be good to be considered an album. Just that my idea of a mixtape is MC's rapping over other rappers beats, free styles, maybe 2 or 3 new songs but just hype a new album or the MC in general. Now they're all new songs constructed like albums, be em bad or good.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Section.80 almost made me not listen to his good album..

Really? We are using that as a metric now?

Ah well, I'll just keep enjoying them.

Never said that it had to be good to be considered an album. Just that my idea of a mixtape is MC's rapping over other rappers beats, free styles, maybe 2 or 3 new songs but just hype a new album or the MC in general. Now they're all new songs constructed like albums, be em bad or good.

I agreed. The term "mixtape" lost its meaning years ago. Labels now required certain artist to release mixtapes for P.R. purposes. If the mixtape is not generally well received, they know how to move forward from there. Non-signed artist use it the same way as well. It helps them get venue access and opening acts. "Mixtapes" are the new "Demo's" for non-signed artist.

ok it's been a few days, what's the verdict on that Dice Game album from Appolo Brown/Guilty Simpson? I'm hesitant to get it because while I love Appolo Brown, I'm not a fan of Guilty. I still remember getting that mehhhh album he did with Madlib...

Dude is just such a basic rapper. He has some good verses (like on Alchemist's album, and a few on the Random Axe album) but I can't really fuck with him for prolonged periods of time.

T Dollarz

ok it's been a few days, what's the verdict on that Dice Game album from Appolo Brown/Guilty Simpson? I'm hesitant to get it because while I love Appolo Brown, I'm not a fan of Guilty. I still remember getting that mehhhh album he did with Madlib...

Dude is just such a basic rapper. He has some good verses (like on Alchemist's album, and a few on the Random Axe album) but I can't really fuck with him for prolonged periods of time.

The production is A+ material and the rapping, while not very skilled, isn't necessarily bad either. He holds his own on the mic. His skills are pretty basic from what I can tell. Still, the album is definitely worth picking up. I love it.

Esch

Banned

THANK you. I'm so tired of people gassing Guilty up. To me he deserves little to none of the attention he gets. I honestly feel the same way about Black Milk, some undeserved hype from underground cats there. I'd probably not care if people hadnt put them on so hard a few years back i guess tho.

Grzi

THANK you. I'm so tired of people gassing Guilty up. To me he deserves little to none of the attention he gets. I honestly feel the same way about Black Milk, some undeserved hype from underground cats there. I'd probably not care if people hadnt put them on so hard a few years back i guess tho.

True, but there is a certain charm to his simplicity, I don't know, I wouldn't sy he's dope, but he's not offensive. He does get some amazing beats though.

When it comes to offensively boring rappers over dope production, nobody beats Phat Kat. That entire album is filled with great production, too bad he sucks on the mic.

Black Milk is a really dope producer and an average to bad rapper, yeah. His beats are really nice though, although his last album was really mediocre.

Tokubetsu

Never been a fan of any of Guilty's output and I've tried (tried with both Ode and OJ Simpson). I like Black Milk but I'd never go around singing his praises or anything. His production was also a lot better when he wasn't using live drums.

Tronic deserved all the praise it got. That's a really good album IMO. Black Milk's output has been a bit mediocre since then, but the praise wasn't "undeserved."

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
weird, i really didn't see that as a love it or hate it kinda album...i didnt fog its nuts like some here @ gaf-hop but it was solid by me

the whole album pretty much turned me off of the whole new west movement..

It wasn't ok my god this is sooooo fucking type of stuff just very meh.. and with the hype very disappointing to me...

I really like his studio album tho..

Detox

Part of my reason for not liking GZA is I saw him solo live, he was like a 5yr old reciting the nativity play from the script. I was just standing there thinking to myself what the fuck happened, didn't you write this shit with passion and energy?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
y'all got me listening to Beg For Mercy tracks again and... Brandy was the car dealer in the Stunt 101 video? MIND BLOWN

RJT

I can understand people not liking Section.80. Even though it ended up being my AOTY, I found it strange at first. It was huge grower for me.

Esch

Banned
Section 80 was dope, sorry can't find common ground there. Nice variety of sound and topics addressed, some stellar rapping, and some very very memorable songs. Not as cohesive as GKMC, and it has a couple throwaways, but its still a dope ass album. AOTY quality.

HiResDes

Section 80 was dope, sorry can't find common ground there. Nice variety of sound and topics addressed, some stellar rapping, and some very very memorable songs. Not as cohesive as GKMC, and it has a couple throwaways, but its still a dope ass album. AOTY quality.
Super spot on

T Dollarz

Pretty much how I feel too

overcast

Yeah, I still find myself wanting to throw on a handful of tracks from Section.80. Not as consistent as GKMC, but one of my favorites from last year for sure.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I see nothing wrong with the above.

T Dollarz

I feel like Section.80 IS cohesive and I don't find any throwaway tracks, I think it's one of the most consistent albums out there. But I think that's also why I like GKMC a little better, because nothing on Section.80 really STANDS OUT (maybe besides HiiPower). Like, I don't ever find myself wanting to hear a specific song from the album like when I'm in the whip or something. If I'm gonna listen to Section.80, I'm gonna listen to the whole thing, if that makes sense. I also love GKMC for the story it tells.

Edit: Side note, anybody on the fence about checking out Dice Game, I implore you to do so. I like this album more each time I've listened to it. Becoming a favorite for the year. Apollo Brown production >>>

codhand

I don't hate it, I've heard it five/six times, so I like some tracks but there's a lot of cringe worthy punchlines and hooks. I get why people like it, and can be considered aoty for some.

Truth. I don't remember many people hating on it last year outside of Toku. IIRC I had it in my top 5 last year

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ignorant 27 is sounding straight ratchet. I fuck with it. lol.

edit: yooo @ the transition from the basic bitches joint, to the kendrick song.

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Lmao... Watched this shit again last week. Dude fucked up by bugging out and fleeing to africa.

JZA the genius >>> GZA, I can go pound for pound on this. GZA can rap and freestyle better then him but Jeezy's songwriting (the whole package - beats, lyrics, hook) will bury GZA

He calls himself that, I should know I listen to him everyday

Eh...

Part of my reason for not liking GZA is I saw him solo live, he was like a 5yr old reciting the nativity play from the script. I was just standing there thinking to myself what the fuck happened, didn't you write this shit with passion and energy?

I can see this. Ive seen GZA back when he had energy, and recently when its like he aint slept for 3 days and was about to take a nap then decided to come on stage. Shits disappointing. But i dont get how his lame live performances hinder your enjoyment of his earlier recordings? Dude has a Hip hop classic. Rest of his albums are great too.

Shame on a ninja. RIP Big baby jesus.

y'all got me listening to Beg For Mercy tracks again and... Brandy was the car dealer in the Stunt 101 video? MIND BLOWN

Ayo whoever started this Gunit conversation is great people. Beg For Mercy still bangs.

Section 80 was boring to me. Some good tracks but nothing special.

Ive never heard anything by The Weekend. Someone link me to the good shit?

Detox

My enjoyment of Liquid Swords isn't hindered by GZA's performance. I'm just saying that Liquid Swords = TM101, then we get to the rest of the discography excluding group efforts and Jeezy wins.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
50-cent-my-life.jpg

Coming soon.

Big Boi talks new album, influences, Andre 3000's apology, Andre's fashion sense and if and how another OutKast album would come out.

Swizz talks tax allegations, beat jacking allegations, business, him and Khaled executive producing the LOX album, motivation with music currently, they discuss X's latest album and what he has to do, says he has an album waiting for X but X has to be ready first, Eve's latest failure, him wanting to do the RR reunion but the members not being with it, his dad wildin out, his strategy with music releasing and more. Swizz is such an intelligent dude, love hearing him talk.

Game - NY Shining freestyle over Cooking Soul production. Shot at Shyne is hilarious. Dope freestyle. Also Game explains why Shyne is in a sad place.

PBY

Banned
^50 + Em + Levine? No thank you.

Also- for Jazz Hop Gaf- is it worth going to see Emancipator live? No idea how that kind of show would be.

SoilBreak

Banned
Heems - Wild Water Kingdom

01. Heems - WWK Intro [Prod. By B. Official] (3:35)
02. Heems - Cowabunga Gnarly [Prod. By Harry Fraud] (3:06)
03. Heems - Third Thing [Prod. By Crookers] (3:10)
04. Heems - Death Is Not An Option (Feat. Bodega Bamz & LAKUTIS) [Prod. By Keyboard Kid] (4:10)
05. Heems - Wild Water Kingdom [Prod. By Harry Fraud] (5:43)
06. Heems - Himanshu Freestyles [Prod. By Keyboard Kid] (2:31)
07. Heems - Let It Go (Feat. Cee Gee) [Prod. By Keyboard Kid] (3:54)
08. Heems - Killing Time [Prod. By Yorissey BLKHRTS] (3:01)
09. Heems - Running Thru The Jungle [Prod. By Beautiful Lou] (2:29)
10. Heems - Half Pint [Prod. By Mike Finito] (2:50)
11. Heems - WOYY [Prod. By Mike Finito] (2:26)
12. Heems - Deepak Choppa [Prod. By LE1F] (5:41)
13. Heems - Soup Boys [Prod. By Lushlife] (4:10)
14. Heems - Medium Green Eyes (Feat. Safe) [Prod. By Steel Tipped Dove] (4:08)
15. Heems - Tell Me (Feat. Childish Gambino) [Prod. By Mike Finito] (2:59)
16. Heems - Adina Howard [Prod. By Shaleik] (3:24)
17. Heems - Combat Jack Show Freestyle (4:06)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom