• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

I can't get that hook out of my head and the lyrics are dope too. TI back on his trap shit since he isn't on parole anymore he doesn't have to watch his words. I love it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I can't get that hook out of my head and the lyrics are dope too. TI back on his trap shit since he isn't on parole anymore he doesn't have to watch his words. I love it.

He released Fuck da City Up on parole

codhand

Nothing without El-P. Vast and Vordul's solo stuff is crap. The soundscapes made that record.

30 grand could buy el-p's production, maybe if they get the money they should just do that...

you dont need 30 grand to; start a label, make an album, make t-shirts. cause i do all those things and it's more like a high hundreds.

"digital street teams" yo

honestly I thought weeknd's hooks for other rap songs were pretty shit. Frank Ocean had him beat big time in this lane.

but this new one with juicy j is beautiful

codhand

El-P has said many times he would never produce another cannibal ox album.

ha. damn, now it all makes sense.

edit, found it
Interviewer: Is there a new Can Ox album coming out any time soon?
El-P: I really doubt it.
Interviewer: Really?
El-P: The fact of the matter is that everyone has been crossing their fingers, including Def Jux, hoping that Cannibal Ox would get their shit together as a group, even to the point where I resigned them. I really hoped and prayed that they would get their shit together, thought they were at a certain juncture in time. At this point I can't pretend anymore or cover for those guys. They haven't been together for a long time, but they tried to get it back together again, but it's proving to be an impossible task.
Interviewer: That breaks my heart.
El-P: You're not the only one buddy.

ouch.

mooooose

I don't get why Ridin got cut from the album because it leaked unfinished and yet PMW was put on the album and that leak was of the actual full song without Q.

Something tells me those were the legit bars Rocky spit for Ridin and they sucked dick and he was gonna scrap the song or maybe even put it on his album and it got panned and they canned it and retconned it.

Esch

Banned
Man its snowing like a motherfucker here in the midwest. Got the day off. as i was driving back i started listening to XXX, man that album is a bonafide classic. Went perfectly with the bleak snowfall. I know people are antsy about assigning that label to anything not 10 years old, but I just think it lives up to what a classic should be in every way except impact on the game. Catchy, unique production, great concept, lyrics that have depth and manage to be memorable, its just great. And the craziest thing is that this guy is just really getting started. Yea he has the back catalogue, but that stuff is lacking the artistic vision and scope of his recent work, even if its just minor features and collaborations. If I could, I would go back and rename this my 2011 AOTY. so wrong about this initially, lol. I really gotta just go ahead and buy this

Edit: DAMN at El just calling them bums, lol. At least we're getting the probably amazing Killer Mike x El

Esch

Banned
It's funny because when I first heard that Mike's album would be EL produced I thought it was strange. But now that those 2012 projects have dropped I can see how they'd easily be friends. A lot of their subject material and views are strikingly similar. It'll be interesting to see how the project comes together. El tends to write a lot of songs that are more metaphorical/abstract/referential whereas Mike's best work is in introspection, storytelling, and relating to the human experience. It's contrasting and comparing at the same time. I suspect the project might be too dominated by El's vision. It'll be all produced by him, I'm sure, and no doubt he'll have a lot of input on the songs in terms of lyrics and concept

codhand

It's funny because when I first heard that Mike's album would be EL produced I thought it was strange. But now that those 2012 projects have dropped I can see how they'd easily be friends. A lot of their subject material and views are strikingly similar. It'll be interesting to see how the project comes together. El tends to write a lot of songs that are more metaphorical/abstract/referential whereas Mike's best work is in introspection, storytelling, and relating to the human experience. It's contrasting and comparing at the same time. I suspect the project might be too dominated by El's vision. It'll be all produced by him, I'm sure, and no doubt he'll have a lot of input on the songs in terms of lyrics and concept

all very true. el-p is a producer and mc, which could naturally limit km's input, unless killer mike wants to pick some beats from outside producers, i too think itll be an el-p-featuring-killer-mike sounding project, not that i would care, but i do think they should strike while the iron is hot, i still cant believe that they got grammy snubbed.

T Dollarz

Man its snowing like a motherfucker here in the midwest. Got the day off. as i was driving back i started listening to XXX, man that album is a bonafide classic. Went perfectly with the bleak snowfall. I know people are antsy about assigning that label to anything not 10 years old, but I just think it lives up to what a classic should be in every way except impact on the game. Catchy, unique production, great concept, lyrics that have depth and manage to be memorable, its just great. And the craziest thing is that this guy is just really getting started. Yea he has the back catalogue, but that stuff is lacking the artistic vision and scope of his recent work, even if its just minor features and collaborations. If I could, I would go back and rename this my 2011 AOTY. so wrong about this initially, lol. I really gotta just go ahead and buy this

Edit: DAMN at El just calling them bums, lol. At least we're getting the probably amazing Killer Mike x El

I agree, XXX has incredible staying power. One of just a few albums still left from 2 years ago that remains in pretty consistent rotation. It's just so unique.

all very true. el-p is a producer and mc, which could naturally limit km's input, unless killer mike wants to pick some beats from outside producers, i too think itll be an el-p-featuring-killer-mike sounding project, not that i would care, but i do think they should strike while the iron is hot, i still cant believe that they got grammy snubbed.
Were you really surprised by the Grammy snub?

Beezy

Kris-Kasanova-24K.jpg

http://iamkriskasanova.com/blog/kris-kasanova-24k-mixtape/

Grammy? lol, look at Billboard. That tells you who gets nominated. I didn't see Killer Mike on there, so...yeah.

Doesn't matter. The album did pretty well due to it being fucking amazing, and the good reviews. Mike told the Combat Jack Show that he made more money this year (2012) than when on a major label.

codhand

Were you really surprised by the Grammy snub?

only in a post Arcade Fire-The Suburbs world

but in reality, no, not surprised.

I just think that earlier--the 90's and prior--grammy's were able excuse ignorance via lack of exposure, but now, everything is available to anyone, anywhere, so that the current corruption is seen laid bare

Mike told the Combat Jack Show that he made more money this year (2012) than when on a major label.
So f'n deserved.

Tokubetsu

100% okay with calling XXX a classic. Still peeling layers off it.

Yea, you can count me in the group that is okay with it being called a classic.

Also Louie V Mob bangs. Damn I like it way more than I thought I would.

codhand

I really like XXX, but Brown carries some of the production on that album. I don't dislike any of it, but some of the beats on it are just OK to me.

Also, I wish Grammy's did matter, I mean Killer Mike apparently ate good without one, but I remember reading El-p's twitter regarding Grammy's this past year, and it was depressing, he was a realist about the situation too. I guess I remarked "I still can't believe" because my only exposure to the grammys in the last few years was el-p on twitter discussing it.

Oscar's are usually on point, I mean, aren't non-music nerds waking up to the payola M.O the Grammy's use? Or is it beyond hope permanently? Again, I recall Arcade Fire winning aoty, so I thought that might signal something.

I really like XXX, but Brown carries some of the production on that album. I don't dislike any of it, but some of the beats on it are just OK to me.

Also, I wish Grammy's did matter, I mean Killer Mike apparently ate good without one, but I remember reading El-p's twitter regarding Grammy's this past year, and it was depressing, he was a realist about the situation too. I guess I remarked "I still can't believe" because my only exposure to the grammys in the last few years was el-p on twitter discussing it.

Oscar's are usually on point, I mean, aren't non-music nerds waking up to the payola M.O the Grammy's use? Or is it beyond hope permanently? Again, I recall Arcade Fire winning aoty, so I thought that might signal something.

Many members of the Grammy board are older people and baby boomers, so every now and then you see a win that illustrates that (Arcade Fire and the various jazz albums that have won big awards recently). But it's also impacted by a game of "ok which artists did the most for the industry this year" calculation. That plus political/social statements like Frank Ocean's prominent night; I'm no bigot everyone knows that (especially in relation to impressive dark brothers like Frank), but I don't believe Ocean would have been so heralded if he didn't come out the closet.

codhand

Damn this video is dope as hell indeed.

you can tell kayne didnt really sample some of those but instead had them replayed.

baby boomers and older people don't listen to Arcade Fire, young people do. the frank ocean comments make perfect sense. out of curiosity what jazz albums? also jazz is something that must be deferred to experts. you cant fake knowing about technical aspects of jazz

DominoKid

Oscars at least try to "get it right." Grammys... man... when MBDTF got robbed... Its really basically "whats kinda hot right now."

i gave up on Kanye getting his due from the Grammy's after they gave AOTY to a fucking Herbie Hancock album over Graduation (and Amy's Back to Black).

codhand

i gave up on Kanye getting his due from the Grammy's after they gave AOTY to a fucking Herbie Hancock album over Graduation (and Amy's Back to Black).

well herbie hancock is technically cooler than kanye and amy so,
he's also been involved in the rap game way longer than kanye
maybe at 67 kanye will win his

♥

Also, I think I like DuFlockRant 2 more than Trap God 2.

I agree. Trap god 2 just felt like too much too soon from Gucci for me. I like him but I ain't listening to 10 projects from the dude this year. That will be overkill

And yeah I know dudes who can't stand Danny browns voice who were like "....damn" when they heard xxx. Album has layers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom