• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

Yes Outkast is must listen to, but take your time with it. Don't force it. You'll enjoy them more in the long run.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Listen to all of their work.

Start with ATLiens, then Aquemini, then Southernplaya, then Stankonia, and then the rest of their work chronologically.

Man....

Not a single OutKast song? At all?

Do it chronologically
Or cop my mix

#shamelessplug #skeetskeetskeet

CRS

^ Never knew. As much as I love his verse on Russian Roulette, it never made me want to search for his new material.

Edit: Grizzly City 3?

Do it chronologically
Or cop my mix

#shamelessplug #skeetskeetskeet

You don't think ATLiens would be a better starting point? I appreciated Southern a lot more after listening to the rest of their work.

On top of your mix, OutKast's compilation, Big Boi and Andre 3000 present... OutKast might be a nice intro.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
^ Never knew. As much as I love his verse on Russian Roulette, it never made me want to search for his new material.

Edit: Grizzly City 3?

You don't think ATLiens would be a better starting point? I appreciated Southern a lot more after listening to the rest of their work.

On top of your mix, OutKast's compilation, Big Boi and Andre 3000 present... OutKast might be a nice intro.

I think what makes OutKast so awesome was their evolution

ATLiens is one of the greatest albums of all time

It's rare for groups to have have their 2nd and not their 1st be considered their greatest work

kamspy

The 4 albums from a classic hip hop act, applies, if not is partially founded by OutKast's catalog.

This shit is science.

Southernplayalistic
ATLiens
Aquemini
-Stankonia

Other notable examples:

Reasonable Doubt
Vol 1
Vol 2
-Vol 3

Illmatic
It Was Written
I Am
-Nastradamus

Peoples Travels
Low End Theory
Midnight Marauders
-Beats Rhymes and Shit

I'm Serious
Trap Muzik
Urban Legend
-King

Comin' Out Hard
On The Outside Looking In
On Top of the World
-In Our Lifetime Vol 1

Too Hard To Swallow
Supertight
Ridin Dirty
- U.G.K.

Mr. Scarface is Back
The World is Yours
The Diary
-Untouchable

The Infamous
Hell on Earth
Murda Muzik
-Infamous

Enter the 36 Chambers
Forever
The W
-Iron Flag

It's fucking science. It's impossible to make 4 good hip hop albums in a row. Right now only Redman and Ice Cube are passing this test that I can think of.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A-Loose-Quarter-Front.jpg

A-Loose-Quarter-Back.jpg

A Loose Quarter mixtape is out!

EDIT: Super fast download speeds cause nobody is checkin' for Buddens. Go go go!

CRS

Hyped for the Budden tape for some reason.

Stankonia was good, just not on the same level as the first three.

. x 1000

The highs are some of OutKast's best but the album as a whole is alright compared to ATLiens and Aquemini.

kamspy

I almost forgot that majority of GAF Hop don't see Aquemini's brilliance.

ATLiens is the shit, but it's the lesser of the first three.

Aquemini
Southernplayalistic
ATLiens.

It got filler-y toward the end.

EDIT: Oh shit, Budden tape out now. I'll take that. It's like Slaughterhouse without the filler.

CRS

Aquemini
Southernplayalistic
ATLiens.
Love and hate in this post.

Aquemini = ATLiens > Southernplaya >= Stankonia

Nope. Millennium, E.T., and 13th Floor are amazing and a great way to end the album.

Aquemini
Southernplayalistic
ATLiens.

EDIT: Oh shit, Budden tape out now. I'll take that. It's like Slaughterhouse without the filler.

TBH, I feel like Stankonia is possibly the album that I wanted from Aquemini. The two share a lot of resemblance. Honestly it's the beats that make Aquemini hit or miss for me. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but I just don't feel it.

CRS

It sounds more negative than it should but Stankonia was an album of 3/4 singles with other songs thrown in there.

Still really like it though. It was my introduction to them so there's some nostalgia associated with it.

CRS

Perfect example. BTNH Ressurection. You know damn well Art of War was one album.

Prime example though.

Hahahahaha. Yeah, it's one album.

Wait, BTNHRessurection isn't good? The fuck?

Weed Song, Resurrection, Ecstacy, Can't Give It Up, Change the World, Mind On Our Money, Murder One?
hah implying bone thugs had more than 2 good albums hah

Can't believe what I'm reading.

Dark-Souls-General5.gif

Tokubetsu

Hahahahaha. Yeah, it's one album.

Wait, BTNHRessurection isn't good? The fuck?

Weed Song, Resurrection, Ecstacy, Can't Give It Up, Change the World, Mind On Our Money, Murder One?

Can't believe what I'm reading.

Dark-Souls-General5.gif

He's right though. Art of War would be okay if you got rid of an entire disc of material.

kamspy

I went back to Art of War for the first time in probably a decade the last time CRS advocated it and walked away from with more positive impressions than I had going in. It's got some tracks. Toku's probably right about cutting a disc of material, but then again I usually never knock an album for having too many songs. In saying that Stankonia is overly long, I'm not implying if you cut some tracks it would somehow ascend to the level of the first three albums. I'm also advocating getting as many tracks from the original 36 Chambers or Illmatic sessions as humanly possible. Maybe I'm just all about value, but "too many songs" on an album is always the poorest critique IMO. I can't think of a case where it's true.

CRS

Clog Up Yo Mind though, still one of my favorite BTNH songs.

http://youtu.be/fXh0dMQFV0g

Remember convincing my friend to get his dad to buy the cd for him just so I could listen to it.

Yesssss. Very underplayed track.

It's too bad so many people just know Bone from Crossroads, their singles, and their songs about weed when there's so much more quality in the albums. Just as good as the tracks they're well known for.

All Original

:ahh: :ahh: :ahh:

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I actually think that's one of them. Pretty sure it was a link you posted.

The Mackelmore song is the one with the video in the thrift store. Dunno why but I played it the whole day.

Yeah I still listen to that Thrift Store song. Hook is catchy as fuck.

I'm more tolerant of Mackelmore than others seem to be, so there are quite a few tracks I like from him, but there are times half way through a song where I suddenly hit my limit and just want to punch him in the mouth to make him stop talking. Its like I have a "white guy voice" meter in my head, and once it reaches capacity I need to stop listening or I want to start burning shit down.

To be fair I have a "dumbass corner dude thinking he's a HNIC" rap voice meter too. It just takes a bit longer to fill.

The Budden tape is solid. Pretty "sing songy" on the hooks with a lot of Emanny, but it's okay overall. Not gonna push anything out of my top 5 (or ten) this year.

EDIT: Ehh, on second listen, nothing really stands out on here. Not offensively bad, but I won't revisit this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom