• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

ah, i got you esh

Ghost Dog is like totally the greatest Forrest flick ever.

i still gotta see Bird & Last King of Scotland before saying this

AYO FUCK FORREST WHITTAKER AS A PERSON

How does it taste?!

bwahahaha this shit is magical

Whitaker's wife's pussy tastes like sweet, sweet butter.

wasn't she the chick from Serenity as well, or am i remembering it wrong?

WW still hasn't seen shit yet...

What the fucking fuck fuckstick goddamn what

...and boom goes the dynamite
for real, that shit happened and it felt like a literal punch to the gut. the next morning i had a medic clinical at a beach hospital, and the minute i was alone with these two lieutenants who i know were watching it, we all kinda went BRO WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, that ain't an episode you can forget about. That was some some "Where's Wallace" shit. And straight up, Whittaker owns that character. He channels some next level psycho vibe. Like, on paper he's the cleanest cop on the show by far, but you just know watching him that he is always one step away from doing the nastiest shit ever.

...still sort of miss Close's captain though. I like how she was sort of a clean mirror of Vic.

40 speaks some truth for aspiring producers out there, figured it was a very informative message.

After H.A.W. I started to do a lot of thinking about those early days in Drake's career. "So Far Gone" specifically and how we got here today. One of the things that will always stand out to me is the timing of how we put that project out from a technical perspective. It was the beginning of a lot of new realities and we were right there to exploit them.

The thing is that in the past ten years all the rules have changed and recording has moved from studios to living rooms. Faster processors, more ram and bigger hard drives started to make Native and LE systems real. My own personal testament to that is recording, mixing and mastering "So Far Gone" in 2009 on a macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram and all the Pro Tools LE boxes you can think of. M-Box 1, M-Box 2 Pro, M-Box Micro, whatever I needed for the job. M-Box 1 had USB protocol. M-Box 2 Pro had the I/O options and the micro was for the plane (which is now obsolete as of Pro Tools 9). Although the speed of Firewire 400 is greater than USB 1.0. I always liked my M-Box 1 and used it the most. The whole album was done in hotel rooms, condos and the occasional studio. But at the end of the day, the album was mixed in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel on the M-Box. So, with all the success of that project and all the weight on a Pro Tools 7 LE system, I had solidified that reality for myself forever. That was 2008 and 2009, fast-forward and now it's tough for studios in 2014 because of that reason.

So in-turn studios are not quite what they used to be and in a new industry with new rules, new equipment and new methods, it's even harder to find the right balance of quality and flexibility. The 2 things I needed on the road. I look at any old laptops or M-Box's like gold and that's where it starts. The hungry kids with what they can get their hands on making it not just work, but work at a professional level. That aligned with technology was the beginning of the Naitive revolution. Now it started far before "So Far Gone", around 2004 is when I was personally fully functional on a Toshiba laptop running XP and Pro Tools 6 with my M-Box 1. Pro Tools 6 had really made leaps in its MIDI sequencing from 5. So at that point I was able to produce, track and mix all on the run. Anywhere, anytime. Quality and Flexibility.

Now this may not be anything overwhelming in 2014. But in 2009 to be nominated for a Grammy and have multiple # 1's, it was still fairly astonishing that it wasn't an SSL 4K or a 1073 with a C800. It was a Neumann TLM 103, an amazing reasonably priced mic that gets the job done, a laptop and an M-Box. That's it. I taught myself how to use Pro Tools on an M-Box 1, but now you can download Pro Tools 10 and 11 and kick open new doors and make all the things I've said here even more true. So the point of all this is to deliver one simple message. Anything is possible. And with what technology has done for us, it makes it a reality for almost anyone. Thats how we did it. Go on YouTube, watch some videos, save some money, download anything you can get your hands on and learn. It's an amazing thing and by far the greatest satisfaction in the world to be creative and impact someone somewhere.

He's got a blessed ear ting for music, seen? Some good shit.

Tokubetsu

Yea we've kinda had that message going around here for awhile. Whatever hardware/software you have just go on YT, look up whatever sound you like with "tutorial" at the end and learn it. Once you can replicate that sound in your sleep to a good enough degree then you start really fucking around and try to find your own voice.

EDIT: This was a 4:20 post. Smoke a weed.
don't do drugs

Cheddahz

Banned
Cam'Ron is making his comeback

Bry_8H1IMAES7fd.jpg

Yea we've kinda had that message going around here for awhile. Whatever hardware/software you have just go on YT, look up whatever sound you like with "tutorial" at the end and learn it. Once you can replicate that sound in your sleep to a good enough degree then you start really fucking around and try to find your own voice.

don't do drugs

Pretty much what I've been doing over the summer

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Had a big blowout for my 21st, yesterday. Thugger and Hemsworth stayed in rotation. And this cute girl I met last week showed up.

b1jx93jm97hc9a3svjy2gnbne.212x119x1.png
Happy belated birthday homie!

That's awesome. Got a link to his reaction post or anything like that?
Pretty sure he's never said thank you LOL Q is an S-Tier shit talker. Closest thing to it.

Some more about his condition in this thread's OP under the special events section.

If you're not deep into the World Cup (and even if you are since Marvel and SF will happen after the finale) y'all should really watch EVO this weekend. Support a ton of GAFers that will be in Vegas and there's nothing as exciting as EVO finals.

Dizaster might have gotten robbed. Daylyt was very good though.
Daylyt caught the fade for the East Coast brehs.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
1017 Thug 2 is aight. bout 5 good songs. Not sure why he put Trigger Finger on there since it was on the last one.
I read that it's actually all shit recorded a couple years ago and put out by the label. Same deal with Purple Album (w/ Gucci). Thugger isn't consistent but his recent singles are definitely in a whole different league than the stuff on the last few mixtapes.

DominoKid

I read that it's actually all shit recorded a couple years ago and put out by the label. Same deal with Purple Album (w/ Gucci). Thugger isn't consistent but his recent singles are definitely in a whole different league than the stuff on the last few mixtapes.

it sounds old.

don't do drugs

That's felt, G'. You're right tho, you gotta rock with what you pick up naturally and just do your do.

big ander

Moving this Timecop1983 up in the queue, one song I listened to was great. Nice tip hrd.

and pickles thanks for being one of the few people in that thread aware of the modern potential of cassettes haha.
z78Q80Y.jpg

1017 Thug 2 dropping sometime very soon. Yesssss.

????????

and pickles thanks for being one of the few people in that thread aware of the modern potential of cassettes haha.

lol @ people still using hipster as a derogatory term in 2014

New clip from Looking for the Perfect Beat. Here's Ras G creating a beat in his apartment. If you ever have the chance to see Ras G and the Afrikan Space Program live you HAVE to do it. Shit is nuts man, real nuts. They're real nice people too I met them briefly a week or so after Low End Fest.

Moving this Timecop1983 up in the queue, one song I listened to was great. Nice tip hrd.

????????

The first time I saw the cover I honestly thought it was Wiz

New Scarface:

http://2dopeboyz.com/2014/07/10/scarface-the-exit-plan-akon/

Has Fashawn released anything noteworthy since Boy Meets World? I stopped checking for dude years ago.

He released a decent mixtape, I can't remember the name of it though. Really looking forward to his next album. Exile's production on the Dag Savage album (which yall are still sleeping on) this year was amazing...he still has it. Can't wait.

One of the best things about Nas signing him and Boldy is that it increases the chance that he'll do something with Exile or Alchemist. Apparently Exile did a beat for Life Is Good but it wasn't used.

Tokubetsu

He released a decent mixtape, I can't remember the name of it though. Really looking forward to his next album. Exile's production on the Dag Savage album (which yall are still sleeping on) this year was amazing...he still has it. Can't wait.

One of the best things about Nas signing him and Boldy is that it increases the chance that he'll do something with Exile or Alchemist. Apparently Exile did a beat for Life Is Good but it wasn't used.

Of course it wasn't.

Happy belated birthday homie!

Happy 21st birthday my 1993 homie.

Thanks mangs. Been busy with work and and school. Need to catch up on recent battles.

And des, that Timecop is the perfect compliment to Tesla Boy on some "late night cruising on back highways with the windows down" type shit.

In the same vein, you'd likely dig Ponychase's latest album, Parade of Youth.

shameless plug. friends with the band.

Ghostface brought sheet louch with him. Standing outside beforehand and ghost was walking down the street, with some other dude and his son sungod, we were around the corner smoking bowls and ghost walked by us,he stopped Shook our hands and chopped it up for a few minutes.

Ghost is a pretty cool dude, shooting the shit with us. Great show too.

Easily worth 20 euros.

Ghostface brought sheet louch with him. Standing outside beforehand and ghost was walking down the street, with some other dude and his son sungod, we were around the corner smoking bowls and ghost walked by us,he stopped Shook our hands and chopped it up for a few minutes.

Ghost is a pretty cool dude, shooting the shit with us. Great show too.

Easily worth 20 euros.

That's awesome. When I saw Raekwon in San Diego, he was really chill about everything, and hung out and talked a bit too.

I love it when Rappers/musicians/famous folks are chill and willing to talk. (Although I totally get how that would get tiring if you're constantly hit up)

That's awesome. When I saw Raekwon in San Diego, he was really chill about everything, and hung out and talked a bit too.

I love it when Rappers/musicians/famous folks are chill and willing to talk. (Although I totally get how that would get tiring if you're constantly hit up)
Even during the show, ghost and sheek would start signing autographs for the crowd. In the Middle of the show, did that a couple times.

Maybe 200 people tops in this tiny club.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
THE TRUTH with Common. Respect to this dude if he's really following through with what he's saying.

DEAD @ the Kanye/Al Pacino story. I swear yo, everyone has a great Kanye story.

Ay yo it's Al Pacino. I'm about to let him know
. deadest of dead

King Louie - Fuck You (Prod. by C-Sick).

Busdriver ft. Danny Brown & Aesop Rock - Ego Death. Is this the Danny feature people were fawning over a few weeks ago? Video is a trip.

SZA & Jill Scott - Divinity. Out of nowhere.

French Montana ft. Fabolous & Wale - R&B BItches. So corny.

Crooked I - Struggle video.

B.o.B. ft. Ty Dolla $ign - Drunk AF video.

Papoose & Vado - New York State of Mind. NY IS BACK BABY

I used to bump this Foreign Exchange track like 10 years ago and never even made the connection that it's the same Oddisee on it. He's definitely came up since then

some of the comments looking like a parody of an OT hip-hop thread

Right, now away to listen to 'chino xl wordsmith' to get proper lyrics like: 'I memorized encyclopaedias and dictionaries, I wrote anthems from antonyms, Harmonies from homonyms, Created cinema from synonyms, Was livid to eliminate that illustrious life you’re livin’ in. Wrote rhetoricals in rhythms - I could paralyze with a parable, Made rhymes out of religion, Use a prefix as a crucifix...Or suffocate you with a suffix'

Of course it wasn't.

Indeed. He also worked with Statik on some tracks; like him or not, I think most of us can agree Statik has shit that would be perfect for Nas. But nah, gonna get dat Summer On Smash beat instead...

Alchemist is right fucking here now, in his face. He signed Boldy James after hearing My 1st Chemistry Set for christ's sake. How does he hear something like this and not think "ok I need some of that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom