• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

black and brown is danny's best project. yeah, i said it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTjYCSlBt_4

EZ1Homc.png

codhand

XXX>Black and Brown>Old>Hybrid.

Black Milk is probably best suited to bring the best out of "Side A" Danny today.

shittin on Hybrid fam? Hybrid has better heaters

Side B alone precludes Old as being anything other than the woat DB album

agree about wanting to see if Black Milk can get "that old Danny Brown" back.

but also agree that black and brown is the woat of both artists

Ranking Hybrid last doesn't mean it's shit. This isn't a Kanye cycle: there are no bad projects on this list.

Hybrid is dope as fuck...

overcast

Old is better than Black and Brown. They sync up pretty goddamn well on a few of those tracks, but it wasn't stuff I needed to listen to again and again. Zap is crazy.

It's not close to XXX, classic.. Remember?

thabiz

Used to be starvin' trying to pack a bag of ramen open
Now I gotcha bitch chokin' on this dick long strokin'
Everyday; bong smokin'
Champagne; glass toastin'
Suckin' on this sex pistol 'bout to blow her brains open

Here's the first half of my track by track review so you guys don't have to listen lol

1. SHADYXV
Horrible beat, like damn. It's one 5 minute verse of Em rapping about random stuff. Last minute and a half is ok but overall it's a definite pass. Fuck that beat is bad.
-pass

2. Psychopath Killer - Slaughterhouse, Yelawolf, Eminem
Great simple beat, great song. Worth a listen for sure. Yelawolf is actually a very good choice on the hook.
-listen

3. Die Alone feat. Kobe
Familiar territory content-wise and exhibiting a typical singing hook no one wants (courtesy of Kobe) but verses are good as is Em's flow.
-listen (once)

4. Vegas - Bad Meets Evil
Meeting the dick song quota on this one
Just raps and many, many flow switchups over another trash beat. Random Jay Elec reference.
-ehh probs pass

5. Y'all Ready Know - Slaughterhouse
2nd single off the album and still a good song. Smooth beat courtesy of Premo.
-listen

6. Guts Over Fear feat. Sia
Most have already heard it, if you haven't, it's basically Not Afraid/Beautiful Pain pt. 2. In that light, it's a good song for what it's supposed to be.
-base your decision to listen on your opinion on the songs I mentioned

Cudder

Here's the first half of my track by track review so you guys don't have to listen lol

1. SHADYXV
Horrible beat, like damn. It's one 5 minute verse of Em rapping about random stuff. Last minute and a half is ok but overall it's a definite pass. Fuck that beat is bad.
-pass

Great simple beat, great song. Worth a listen for sure. Yelawolf is actually a very good choice on the hook.
-listen

3. Die Alone feat. Kobe
Familiar territory content-wise and exhibiting a typical singing hook no one wants (courtesy of Kobe) but verses are good as is Em's flow.
-listen (once)

Just raps and many, many flow switchups over another trash beat. Random Jay Elec reference.
-ehh probs pass

-listen

Most have already heard it, if you haven't, it's basically Not Afraid/Beautiful Pain pt. 2. In that light, it's a good song for what it's supposed to be.

how are you listening to this?

PBY

Banned

1. SHADYXV
-pass

-listen

3. Die Alone feat. Kobe
-listen (once)

-ehh probs pass

-listen

Yikes

Ty for this service

I still defend Old. To me Side A: 4.5 album; Side B: 3 album, maybe a 2.5 at the lowest. Overall I'd give the album 4 mics.

When I compare albums from an artist I tend to ask whether the best songs on one album could fit on the previous and not ruin its quality. All of Side A would fit nicely on XXX without feeling like a drop in quality, in fact all of Side A is better than a couple tracks on XXX (Detroit 187 comes to mind immediately).

joelseph

ⓉⓌⓄ ⓈⓉⒶⒸⓀⓈ™ @DJTWOSTACKS · @andre_nature @AAANTWON @CitiesAviv @SadAndy JUST LEFT MY CRIB WITH 77 BEATS

HiResDes

Here's how the real DB fan ranks his output:

1. XXX
2. The Hybrid
3. Old
4. Detroit State of mind 4
5. Hot Soup
6. Hawaiian Snow
7. Black and Brown

B×B was too traditional and by the numbers. There wasn't any synergy, just one dope artist and another doing there own thing within their own lanes without any symbiosis. You can't give Danny the same beats you'd give Guilty Simpson. Black Milk beats were too monotonous to really elicit what makes Danny Brown dynamic.

Part dos

7. Down - Yelawolf
These fucking beats man...these fucking beats...
Yela's bars aren't horrible but it's just not a very good song.
-pass

8. Bane - D12
Very weird beat. Not necessarily bad just weird. Also I hate autotune so the hook gets an automatic pass. Song is very average overall.
-pass

9. Fine Line
Don't know how to feel about this one. Beat is cool and undergoes many changes. Minimalistic to put the spotlight on the rapping, and there's definitely rapping on this track. Ton of bars.
-listen (once)

10. Twisted feat. Skyler Grey, Eminem, & Yelawolf
Such a weird song. Skyler has good verses, but is horrible on the hook. That's not fully her fault though, as whoever mastered this song did a horrendous job when it comes to the hook. It's actually so bad.
Yelawolf has a good verse.
-pass

11. Right for Me
Got hyped when the beat started...but then it switches up to some carnivalesque shit. Another Jay Elec reference. Another song of Em rapping his ass off. It's good, but it's getting redundant, even for me.
-listen (once)

12. Detroit vs. Everybody feat. Eminem, Royce da 5'9", Big Sean, Danny Brown, Dej Loaf, & Trick Trick
Not much to say since everyone's already heard it lol. I still really like it. Beat is great.
-listen

13. Till It's Gone - Yelawolf
This is how you do a rap beat if you want to include acoustic guitar. Good song.
-listen

Final Verdict: Worse than MMLP2. And The Re-Up. (which I think it should be compared to)
Some songs are definitely worth listening to at least once though even if the majority are bad.
Psychopath Killer is great.

Esch

Banned
Old Side B is the point in a drug user's life where it's become pointless.

There's no inspiration being fomented by the substances. There's no pretensions of insight or expansion of consciousness. There's no meaningful interpretations of information, experience, or even emotion. You're firmly in the stimulus response feelgoodfeelgoodmoremore aspect of substance use/abuse. It's pure unadulterated hedonism and that's usually reflected in the drug choice; uppers, downers, xanax, molly. On one hand, I find little redeeming quality in this. On the other, I do feel that there is perhaps some artistic merit to a faithful depiction of the monotonous, mindless lifestyle that's encapsulated pretty well in the dumbery of Side B.

HiResDes

Relistening to DB discog now. One thing really stands out is that The Hybrid has some of the hardest lines and grimiest stories on it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No I.D. on Juan Epstein. This is about as epic as you'd imagine. So many gems.

- Talks about the beginning of Com's career, how they stopped talking
- Talks him struggling as a producer because he was stuck in the mindframe where you only did records for your homies, and losing his career when Common and Ye decided to work with others outside of their city
- Talks about being averse to Kanye at first, describes seeing him meet for his first deal and telling the label execs he was the next MJ and shit lol
- Gave up on opportunities to work with Ghost, Rae, Biggie, Pun in their prime because he was still in that mentality
- Finally decided to break out of that mold and his first #1 record was a Bow Wow record lololol, also talks doing other songs without his name attached for people like Plies to keep it moving
- Talks being called Kanye's mentor when he thinks it was more of a lifecoach, talks about how they grew learning from each other over the span of like 15-20 years (says John Monopoly and D Dot were more influential to his persona growth even though Kanye was begging to work with No I.D.) and how Ye got him to think of himself as a brand and stabilize his career
- Explains what Kanye's collaborative process is like, he didn't really understand it at first when Ye presented it
- Didn't talk to Common for like 10 years until 2008 when Ye invited him to Hawaii for the BP3 sessions
- Heartless beat was for BP3 until Kanye said "STOP. THIS IS FOR MY RECORD." in the studio, which spun off into 808s. Jay was then like WTF is going on with the project and that's when Death of Autotune came to life and BP3 started rounding out

Gave a lot of perspective into the usual stuff you hear about Common and Ye's come up IMO.

CRS

Is there even enough material for such a thing? I don't imagine they will spin much other instrumental hip-hop. Probably just be a bunch of tracks produced by flylo's contemporaries.

If this does come to fruition, I expect it to be some 2 to 3 hour time slot for FlyLo. The best case scenario would be for FlyLo to get his own SiriusXM channel and have it be a mix of the Chill station but with a lot more hip-hop.

He would definitely have enough material though since he has the entire Brainfeeder record label and could even branch out to similar labels: Alpha Pup and Leaving Records. There's also the Low End affiliation that could help out. Lack of material would not be the reason FlyLoFM doesn't actually happen.

No I.D. on Juan Epstein. This is about as epic as you'd imagine. So many gems.

- Talks about the beginning of Com's career, how they stopped talking
- Talks him struggling as a producer because he was stuck in the mindframe where you only did records for your homies, and losing his career when Common and Ye decided to work with others outside of their city
- Talks about being averse to Kanye at first, describes seeing him meet for his first deal and telling the label execs he was the next MJ and shit lol
- Gave up on opportunities to work with Ghost, Rae, Biggie, Pun in their prime because he was still in that mentality
- Finally decided to break out of that mold and his first #1 record was a Bow Wow record lololol, also talks doing other songs without his name attached for people like Plies to keep it moving
- Talks being called Kanye's mentor when he thinks it was more of a lifecoach, talks about how they grew learning from each other over the span of like 15-20 years (says John Monopoly and D Dot were more influential to his persona growth even though Kanye was begging to work with No I.D.) and how Ye got him to think of himself as a brand and stabilize his career
- Explains what Kanye's collaborative process is like, he didn't really understand it at first when Ye presented it
- Didn't talk to Common for like 10 years until 2008 when Ye invited him to Hawaii for the BP3 sessions
- Heartless beat was for BP3 until Kanye said "STOP. THIS IS FOR MY RECORD." in the studio, which spun off into 808s. Jay was then like WTF is going on with the project and that's when Death of Autotune came to life and BP3 started rounding out

So not only was BP3 going to have autotune, DoA was birthed after Kanye threw a bitchfest over wack ass Heartless? The story gets better and better.

these are your heroes :trollbron:

any Nas talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom