• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Nahh the action was fine you're overthinking it

Maybe if you can tell me why the action was shitty without involving the plot and I'll hear you out
I said it was, he hasn't even seen it. But it was just slow and lacked any spark. The protagonist was also very wooden and lacked charisma. The battles were mostly quite predictable and weren't well choreographed. Both the creatures and mechs moved like stop motion action figures. Nothing seemed fluid.

Vorheez

I said it was, he hasn't even seen it. But it was just slow and lacked any spark. The protagonist was also very wooden and lacked charisma. The battles were mostly quite predictable and weren't well choreographed. Both the creatures and mechs moved like stop motion action figures. Nothing seemed fluid.
Oh my bad Cheddahz... Anyways, my biggest gripe with the film is when they hyped up those other two jaegers (can't remember the names) and they got wrecked within 10 mins of the first fight. That still bugs me. Other than that, the fight in downtown Hong Kong with silverback was the highlight for me, I felt a true sense of weight and scale with that one. Overall the effects were great, has elba to balance out the shitty protag, and like you said the designs were cool

Yeah get on The Raid though, if we are comparing the two, raid shits all over pacific rim

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Pacific Rim was an amazing movie theater film, but it's a pretty boring TV film. Its major selling point is watching giant robots beat the shit out of giant monsters in cool ways, and on a massive movie theater screen with a rumbling sound system that selling point works extremely well. But watching it at home, even with a fairly large flat screen, the movie feels underwhelming.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hype this, hype that. If you want to watch a decent action flick with giant robots punching giant monsters in the face, then Pacific Rim is a fine movie. Talking about anything else is sort of missing the point. It's Godzilla vs. Iron Man. If you need more than that from your action films, go watch Die Hard for the millioneth time.

Vorheez

Hype this, hype that. If you want to watch a decent action flick with giant robots punching giant monsters in the face, then Pacific Rim is a fine movie. Talking about anything else is sort of missing the point. It's Godzilla vs. Iron Man. If you need more than that from your action films, go watch Die Hard for the millioneth time.
This. Said it better than I could have

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is pretty succinctly a fact of life right here.

HiResDes

Pacific Rim was an amazing movie theater film, but it's a pretty boring TV film. Its major selling point is watching giant robots beat the shit out of giant monsters in cool ways, and on a massive movie theater screen with a rumbling sound system that selling point works extremely well. But watching it at home, even with a fairly large flat screen, the movie feels underwhelming.
See I saw it on a large flat screen rather than the theater so you might have a point. There have been quite a few movies like Inception, 300, and The Watchmen that everyone seemed to be meh on that I remember enjoying because of their theater experience.

Pacific Rim is basically Guillermo del Toro playing with his action figures for 2 hours after spending a morning watching anime and monster movies. It's fine for what it is.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
See I saw it on a large flat screen rather than the theater so you might have a point. There have been quite a few movies like Inception, 300, and The Watchmen that everyone seemed to be meh on that I remember enjoying because of their theater experience.

Yeah I think people really underestimate how a good theater experience can affect how you enjoy a movie. Not just because BIG AND LOUD AWESOME! But also because of that whole group atmosphere. I remember watching the first transformers movie and the theater was packed with 25+ year olds who were there opening night to see their childhood memories come to life, not in a jaded or bitter way but in a genuine "holy shit I can't wait!" way. The result was a theater filled with cheering, clapping, laughing audience members who created an infectious atmosphere that made it impossible to not be super into the movie and cheer every time something cool happened.

But if you've seen Pan's Labyrinth, Hell boy, or Cronos you know he's much capable

Absolutely, it's not his best by any stretch, but it didn't feel like it had that ambition either. All of his interviews on the movie just feel like he was excited to see his childhood obsessions on a big screen in 2013. Gives it a weird endearing quality unlike, say, Bay's Transformers (particularly the 3 sequels)

Tokubetsu

Pacific Rim has a giant mecha sword cutting a giant monster into two pieces and a rocket punch. It's not the greatest movie out but it's as close as we're going to get on this plane of existence.

Tokubetsu

When they pulled that sword out when I was in the theater. My exact reactions:
I24Rt30.png

ICM8lek.png

I24Rt30.png

YNwVVyj.gif

overcast

Pacific Rim was pretty cool when I first saw it, but that shit is incredibly mesiocre on rewatches (defeating the point of buying it). Holy shit, it's acually so boring for a huge majority of it. One scene is good/great, and the last battle is a incomprehensible mess. Can't see shit.

Got Alien and Evil Within so far. Have my headphones ready :]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pacific Rim has a giant mecha sword cutting a giant monster into two pieces and a rocket punch. It's not the greatest movie out but it's as close as we're going to get on this plane of existence.
This is key here, it's pretty much the closest we've seen at cinema trying to capture the magic of that genre.

Lawd the elbow rocket and using the boat as a sword.

sent-rocketpunch.gif

I think it's kind of hurt by some of the kaiju designs not being as good as others, but otherwise saying it's good for what it is is an understatement.

I kind of get wet at the idea of a live action Gundam Wing movie. Megan Fox or not, I want it.

Pacific Rim was pretty cool when I first saw it, but that shit is incredibly mesiocre on rewatches (defeating the point of buying it). Holy shit, it's acually so boring for a huge majority of it. One scene is good/great, and the last battle is a incomprehensible mess. Can't see shit.

Got Alien and Evil Within so far. Have my headphones ready :]

Honestly I think Guillermo ain't shit. He's a fan of what we all love so in theory his movies should be great but everything he's made in English has gotten progressively worse

Try sitting through the strain pilot

Totally random but I remember hearing The Pharcyde's "Runnin" in 8 Miles and am struggling to find the scene.

Was just watching a stream on twitch and in the background I heard a song, realized it was "So Far To Go" produced by J Dilla, which then randomly reminded me that Runnin' was Dilla produced and here I am lol

Tokubetsu

This is key here, it's pretty much the closest we've seen at cinema trying to capture the magic of that genre.

Lawd the elbow rocket and using the boat as a sword.

sent-rocketpunch.gif

I think it's kind of hurt by some of the kaiju designs not being as good as others, but otherwise saying it's good for what it is is an understatement.

I kind of get wet at the idea of a live action Gundam Wing movie. Megan Fox or not, I want it.

Key to that Gundam is they have to do one of two things. Set the entire thing in space so we get super dynamic space battles or they need to ground it kinda like Pacific Rim but do it gundam style with heavy 8th Ms Team influence. The latter is more likely imo.

HiResDes

I feel like y'all were the kids that liked Power Rangers because you actually thought it's action scenes were well made. Even back then I'd throw that shit on to laugh at it.

Tokubetsu

I feel like y'all were the kids that liked Power Rangers because you actually thought it's action scenes were well made. Even back then I'd throw that shit on to laugh at it.

Mommy and Daddy didn't get you the white ranger sword that could talk for your birthday huh?

Honestly I think Guillermo ain't shit. He's a fan of what we all love so in theory his movies should be great but everything he's made in English has gotten progressively worse

Crimson Peak though. Believe.

bpN1OKk.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
...the hell were you watching at 5
...why were you critiquing action at the age of 5

it's fucking martial arts and combining anthromorphic robots

HiResDes

I was more into Gargoyles, Spiderman, and Ninja Turtles breh. I was contemplating dying of Aids at five brehs. I was legit shook thinking I had it. My mom even remembers.

DominoKid

i was never that into power rangers beyond the OG cast. i was way more into Walker Texas Ranger for a shitty action show. now that shit was must see TV in my household.

overcast

I haven't seen a few of his movies but I think Pan's is pretty great.
power rangers was awesome, still remember dragging my mom to the turbo movie. That skydiving opening scene
Higher Ground by red hot chill peppers plays I think. Lmao.
I was more into Gargoyles, Spiderman, and Ninja Turtles breh.
Yeah. I loved those and Batman TAS, but I liked too much shit to go over. Courage was one of the goats. Yall remember that Spider-Man/Venom beat em up game?

Key to that Gundam is they have to do one of two things. Set the entire thing in space so we get super dynamic space battles or they need to ground it kinda like Pacific Rim but do it gundam style with heavy 8th Ms Team influence. The latter is more likely imo.
Definitely the latter and smh at even bringing up Wing...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Definitely the latter and smh at even bringing up Wing...
I brought up Wing because that's the one that was buzzing in the media.

I think it can work as just like how every series works, thrusting characters into space 1/4 of the way in with a giant robot and them having to make sense of it. End with super dynamic space battle, CCA style. It doesn't need to be super complex unless your HRD and your gonna throw a rock at the screen when they bring up newtype abilities.

Don't you ever talk down on Wing, GOAT intro theme

Esch

Banned
Nah I even used to import godzillas through clandestine means, power rangers etc. Pacific Rim is just a bad movie. If it was just bazoom pop monster killing thatd be better, instead it has an hour + of boring ass poorly acted characters. To be honest the mecha aren't that cool either. I was never into the big clunkers.

Monsters are decent.

Well the mechs are clearly going more for that Giant Robo style of "colossal Earth shattering thing" than Gundam/ZoE. I'm fine with that.

I do agree that the pacing is wack though. 45+ straight minutes of those lol-tier characters? Nahhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom