• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf-Hop |OTXII| Avocado Booty Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you guys have anything that you always listen to when you're studying/homework/trying to get shit down?

I listen to my tranquil playlist which doesn't necessarily consist of one artist or genre, but as this being the Hip-Hop thread I'vve give you afew of the Hip-Hop stuff I listen to while trying to study: Fugees, Moderator, Vanilla, Akua Naru, DJ Okawari, CunninLynuists, the instrumental version of Understandable Smooth from Ras Kass, and also One Self. Esperanza Spalding and Kelsey Lu are too good not to mention regardless if it's on topic or not.

Esch

Banned
I don't really understand this New Black shit
and TBH I don't give a fuck because it reads like some fuckery and I'm not black
, but are these people basically arguing to relinquish your racial identity in order to achieve equality?

I think at it's most pure, the "new _____" ideal is that race ultimately doesn't exist, and therefore dictates none of how things play out in life. When Pharrell coined it, what he was saying is some variant of 'we are solely responsible for our fates' or 'we are the biggest thing holding us back'. Which is, in my opinion, basically bullshit specifically created to cater to a certain kind of white person (or this could apply to any group, but what he meant was white people) that doesn't want to bear the onus of what they've done to another group. Or to individuals in a minority group (in this case black people) that have seemingly lifted themselves away from most of the ills of their minority peers through sheer monetary.cultural dominance like he has.

I think. I don't know, I'm pretty drunk. But I'm sure you know a couple desis that hold similar views with respect to things like colonialism, indentured slavery, etc etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - Rome Fortune's Small VVorld

Starts out strong, reminding me a lot of Trap Lord when it comes to the production and hooks. I'm a sucker for electronic sounds and synths in hip-hop so I fucked with it. Nothing bangs too hard, but it's good swag music or whatever. Most of the rest of the project flat out sucks ass, from Working Gal to Flashback (Evidence has okay production though). First SuicideYear anything I've heard, and I get the hype, great feeling from those sounds.

I think 50% of it is wack, but the other 50% shows some promise, which is pretty damn good for the kind of artist dude is. Will pay attention to dude's next project, maybe even hit up that OG Maco Double Disc next since he's on nearly all the good songs on the joint. Standouts are probably 5 Second Rule, Why and Suit Case (last one sounding like something that could've been on NWTS).

I think at it's most pure, the "new _____" ideal is that race ultimately doesn't exist, and therefore dictates none of how things play out in life. When Pharrell coined it, what he was saying is some variant of 'we are solely responsible for our fates' or 'we are the biggest thing holding us back'. Which is, in my opinion, basically bullshit specifically created to cater to a certain kind of white person (or this could apply to any group, but what he meant was white people) that doesn't want to bear the onus of what they've done to another group. Or to individuals in a minority group (in this case black people) that have seemingly lifted themselves away from most of the ills of their minority peers through sheer monetary.cultural dominance like he has.

I think. I don't know, I'm pretty drunk. But I'm sure you know a couple desis that hold similar views with respect to things like colonialism, indentured slavery, etc etc.
Yeah.. smells like whitewashing and conformism to me. No thanks.

Thankfully, I don't know any of those desis. Honestly, when I think about how your environment affects your upbringing and child rearing, sometimes I'm glad we grew up poor and I wasn't forced to build relationships with new money fools.

Camp Lo

Banned

comeon.png

DominoKid

Breh you check that last Tory Lanez?
yeah i made it through a few tracks before i had to give it the
oePC1dS.png

production is cool but i don't really like him on the mic.

i kinda liked that Rome Fortune tape except for 5 Second Rule, the makonnen track and the verses on No Evidence. the hook part of that track is great though.

has anybody listened to that Maco mixtape yet?

I did and I wasn't really fucking with it tbh. It's okay, some of the loosies like Kraken is way better than 80% on the tape. Don't see myself revisiting it tbh outside of maybe 4 songs

Referring to OG Maco tape

overcast

New Black concepts are shit Bill O'reilly would eat up.

Is that Maco tape dope the whole way through. Liked a few of the first tracks.

Vorheez

I listened to the Maco tape once all the way through, it was alright

Man, is there anything redeeming about the ferg tape though? Do any of you guys have a favorite track?

i tried doing some logic homework while listening to the ferg tape. dear god, it plays at like 90 scustsperminute and fucked with my concentration.

how did he go from the hood pope to the hood poop. this shit's awful.

HiResDes

yeah i made it through a few tracks before i had to give it the
oePC1dS.png

production is cool but i don't really like him on the mic.

i kinda liked that Rome Fortune tape except for 5 Second Rule, the makonnen track and the verses on No Evidence. the hook part of that track is great though.

has anybody listened to that Maco mixtape yet?
It gets better and dude can sing too.

HiResDes

Reposting this to certify how fire it is after multiple listens...I've even warmed up to Andre a lot, but the production is still out of this world.

DominoKid

piggybacking off WW about female rappers, is it fair to say Lauryn being a total nut really fucked it up on a mainstream level for female rappers that weren't trying to sell sex?

even Missy came with a lot of explicit content like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Impressions - Tory Lanez' Lost Cause

This feels very transparent, and chameleon-esque without offering the novelty, songwriting or authenticity of the artists he's trying to emulate. It doesn't help that he's from-Toronto-moved-down-South AND he makes his delivery sound like Drake at times. Like, right down to how he said BUOY and how he does that stupid holding-air-under-your-tongue voice that Drake does that I hate so much.

Every track on the joint feels like he had an artist and one of their songs in mind he want to emulate. "This song finna sound like __________"

Dry Your I's is Mike Posner
A Week Straight is French Montana
Gold is SFG Drake/Early Cole
Grandma's Kid is Future
With It // We Did It is The Weeknd
The Godfather is Rich Homie Quan
Everything else is various eras of Drake or a mixture of the above; like most of it sounds like someone' trying super hard to make So Far Gone II.

Dry Your I's, The Mission and With It // We Did It have some good singing, and Mama Told Me and The Godfather are alright (those would be the standouts IMO), but the shit sounds so uncomfortably bit. Like, I know we go in on artists for having influences period but this is on a whole other level of blatant. Sorry HRD, this dude doesn't have very much personality at all, and nothing jams enough for it to be exceptional. The only unifying part of his style is that it's not as good as the individual parts it bites. Production ranges from forgettable to great-drums-but-generic

Omg lol I was listening to Chris rock and Questlove podcast. QL had me dying with the way he says 9/11. I was thinking Wtf is he talking about then Cipha is like you are the only one who says it like that haha

HiResDes

First Impressions - Tory Lanez' Lost Cause

This feels very transparent, and chameleon-esque without offering the novelty, songwriting or authenticity of the artists he's trying to emulate. It doesn't help that he's from-Toronto-moved-down-South AND he makes his delivery sound like Drake at times. Like, right down to how he said BUOY and how he does that stupid holding-air-under-your-tongue voice that Drake does that I hate so much.

Every track on the joint feels like he had an artist and one of their songs in mind he want to emulate. "This song finna sound like __________"

Dry Your I's is Mike Posner
A Week Straight is French Montana
Gold is SFG Drake/Early Cole
Grandma's Kid is Future
With It // We Did It is The Weeknd
The Godfather is Rich Homie Quan
Everything else is various eras of Drake or a mixture of the above; like most of it sounds like someone' trying super hard to make So Far Gone II.

Dry Your I's, The Mission and With It // We Did It have some good singing, and Mama Told Me and The Godfather are alright (those would be the standouts IMO), but the shit sounds so uncomfortably bit. Like, I know we go in on artists for having influences period but this is on a whole other level of blatant. Sorry HRD, this dude doesn't have very much personality at all, and nothing jams enough for it to be exceptional. The only unifying part of his style is that it's not as good as the individual parts it bites. Production ranges from forgettable to great-drums-but-generic
Not mad I made a big point about how derivative it is, but I disagree about the beats and lines which I think do actually capture a glimpse of the magic that exists in the artists he's trying to emulate. He's totally a biter, but album still bangs to me. It's divisive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom