• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Maddenites: PS2 or Xbox?

tenchir

234316.jpg

Preloaded with game busting cheats for the latest and greatest Xbox games

Easily updateable with new cheats

Save new Powersaves to Action Replay's 8mb memory card

High speed USB docking station supplied for PC link up

Dedicated support site

From the makers of the world's best-selling cheat code systems for PlayStation2, GameCube and Game Boy Advance

The only cheat system available for Xbox

but at the same time tenchir, if anyone is caught using this they can and will be banned from xbox live. no problem on ps2, they can just create a new account. people are paying for the service on xbl

tenchir

XBLive just authenticate. You will be playing on EA servers. I am not even sure of what they will do though. But my point is that cheating is a possibility even on XBOX version.

Edit: Argh, I got owned, the Action Replay just loads save, no cheats. Oh well.

shpankey

not an idiot
tenchir said:

They are using the word "cheats" in the sense that, you are getting a save file that already has a character built up. Or say, in SEGA GT Online, you get a save file where someone has already bought all the cars and earned a ton of cash.

They aren't actually "cheats" with action replay in the sense we are talking about. They are a "cheat" only in the sense that you are using someone elses save file and playing from there.

AR doesn't do any "cheating" in the literal sense. It can't alter any of the game code... it's JUST a save file. Nothing else. The word "cheat" on that box is just marketing stuff.

Again, the Xbox does NOT have a cheat device. Only a save device that allows user to share save files. Nothing more.

tenchir, cheating on XBL is reported to microsoft, not EA. doesn't matter if it's going through EA's server, MS can block your account so you can't get "authenticated" on XBL, and if you can't do that you can't get onto EA's server either

p.s. hey shpankey are you going to buy an action replay for the NCAA roster names file? i'm thinking of doing that. i have gameshark for ps2. the cool thing was that last year when you played online, you could see the names of the players on your screen if you had their names changed or saved or whatever. i thought that was a nice little feature for EA to throw in

shpankey

not an idiot
There is no "cheating" on Xbox Live. The only thing you will see is some people have found glitches in a game and take advantage of them. This is due to a developer not catching a flaw in their code and a user can exploit it. The fault of this is with the developers and their bug testers not catching it.

Again, the Xbox has no way to "cheat". I say this in the sense that you are using outside means to alter the way the game plays (ie: making a running back unstoppable, literally by using a Gameshark).

Yes, some people see taking advantage of a glitch in the game as "cheating". Or using a save file that has already done all the work as "cheating". But there is a difference that needs to be noted.

The only problem you would have to worry about is if EA left a glitch in the game (not likely) that users could exploit. Unlike on PS2, where they can use a cheat device to alter the game to where their players are unstoppable.

And just because you may find the occasional game on the Xbox that has a glitch in it, does not mean that ALL games have a glitch.. and not all glitches are equal. So you have to look at every game seperately.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. hey shpankey are you going to buy an action replay for the NCAA roster names file? i'm thinking of doing that. i have gameshark for ps2. the cool thing was that last year when you played online, you could see the names of the players on your screen if you had their names changed or saved or whatever. i thought that was a nice little feature for EA to throw in

I already have one. That's how I know that the AR isn't a cheat device. ;) I used it last year for roster saves for Madden and NCAA. :)

SickBoy

My plan has been to get Madden on PS2. I'm getting ESPN on the Xbox, but I don't have Live and I don't know if I'm going to. And unless I move back home, I want a game I can play with my PS2-owning friends online.

-SB

who cares about cheating. Like madden04, the fun will come from playing against fellow gafers, and we can trust eachother...can't we? PS2 FOR LIFE!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hrm, no real contest in terms of the people playing. Beating up on Miguel, Wasabi, Ramirez, and Rorschach will be too good to pass up. Only people I would see myself playing against on the Xbox are FMT and DM.

Put me down for PS2, but I will likely get both if I really need to.

Also, I was going to start a real poll when it came closer to release date. Guess no need for that now. ;p

shpankey

not an idiot
Ninja Scooter said:
who cares about cheating.

::raises hand::

I plan on playing other people besides GAF users. They're not always going to be available, and besides, sometimes I like playing new people. That's how you make new friends. :)

Ramirez

Beating up on Miguel, Wasabi, Ramirez, and Rorschach will be too good to pass up.

Oh oh oh,dream on my friend,dream on!! :p

ps2 tournaments this year will be like the 2 years the rockets won the championship. no jordan, so SOMEONE had to win! will i defend my 3 straight GAF title run? time will tell!

we have other tournament favorites who haven't chimed in yet, but are definently getting the xbox version.... gunstar being one of them :)

then again i believe cuban is getting the ps2 version, mrbob getting the xbox version, bob getting the xbox version. we'll see when it gets closer to release how it all plays out

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Hey no one knows how good I can be in madden ;)

Btw Fifty just got no-hit :D

I'll be getting Madden and NCAA on XBOX, and I know Gunstar77 is getting ESPN and Madden on XBOX as well.

Oh, and I already preordered ESPN for XBOX, so all three on XBOX for me.

DMczaf

LittleTokyo said:
I'll be getting Madden and NCAA on XBOX, and I know Gunstar77 is getting ESPN and Madden on XBOX as well.

Im getting NCAA, Madden, and ESPN on Xbox

My Xbox will be hoping football season ends by the time I'm done with it!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Me too...my XBOX should fucking thank me.

jedimike

I've been out of the football loop for a couple years (NFL 2K3 was last one I bought), but planned on getting ESPN this year. If everyone else is getting Madden, I'll get it instead.

Ramirez

Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't the white/black buttons used for a WR?Seems like I remember that bein a problem way back when I first tried to play it at a friends...

shpankey

not an idiot
No. The Black button is pump fake, the White button is throw the ball away. Both are rarely used and are easy enough to get to when you do need them. You may be thinking of NFL Fever, which I believe used the Bl and Wh as receivers. But that game sucked anyhow.

Here's the Madden layout for Xbox QB'ing...

L-Trigger, R-Trigger, X, A, B are receivers. (the L and R triggers are usually half back and full back receievers - A is usually tight end, X is left WR and B is right WR [which all makes logical sense if you think about it])

Y - Pulls the passing cursors down (so you can run instead).

Bl - Pump fakes.

Wh - Throws ball away.

L-Trigger & R-Trigger = a quick way to see an instant replay.

Back button = a quickie instant timeout (like when out on the field, saving you from having to pause the game and go into a menu to call it)

these two systems are tearing GA's madden family apart!

cheers to the day EA brings out their own system, with madden as exclusive title and thus all developement time and resources spent on one central game!

shpankey

not an idiot
I am excited to finally get to play DM and FMT... I can't wait to see what I got against the champs. My hope is to give them a hell of a hard time and maybe get lucky! ;)

I especially want to play you FMT, as a Cowboy diehard fan, of course I REALLY hate the 49'ers more than any team in existence. The fact that you are the 3 time reigning champ to, will make it extra special for me. For my lowly Cowboys, to play the hated 49'ers, and to beat the king of Madden football from GAF... well, that's like a Cinderella story, and it's gonna happen baby! Or at least, I can dream can't I?

Mwhahaha. I can hardly wait.

P.S. In NCAA, when I take the Sooners, you can know it's because I'm a true fan <--- see Avatar) and not a wanker just trying to pick the best team. Because in Madden, I will play with my Cowboys even though their ratings are sure to suck... I will take my lumps. :/

Ramirez

I pump fake quite alot,I found it to be about the only effective way to throw in 2004 unless you had some super human on your team like Moss or Owens :p

shpankey

not an idiot
It may take some getting used to at first, but it comes as second nature to me now. I'm sure you won't have a problem with it after you get some good time using it. Most good gamers can adapt to anything.

I used to *HATE* the Bl and Wh buttons with a passion. I despised them like nothig else. But they are like an extension of my hand now... I can hit them with ease. Don't sweat it (although I'm sure you'll cuss them at first).

DMczaf

P.S. In NCAA, when I take the Sooners, you can know it's because I'm a true fan and not a wanker just trying to pick the best team.

BTW, NCAA 2005 has Even Teams mode where you can pick any team you want and not worry about how bad your favorite team is or how great the other player's team is.

shpankey

not an idiot
Hmm... that kind of sucks actually. I'd rather not play with that. Not because I want an advantage (again, I will play with the Cowboys in Madden so no advantage there) but because I want to see my great players play great.

DMczaf

shpankey said:
Hmm... that kind of sucks actually. I'd rather not play with that. Not because I want an advantage (again, I will play with the Cowboys in Madden so no advantage there) but because I want to see my great players play great.

But my favorite team is UNLV, so my games against you would just be watching your great players play great. :p

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, I guess if the teams were that big of a difference it'd be cool. Or I could just take Tulsa U (I think they are in the same conference also?) or Oklahoma State and try to match up.

Fifty

Heh, maybe it's because I don't have a school persay, or maybe it's because the players aren't stars like they are in the NFL. But I much prefer this mode for NCAA than in Madden. I'd never want to use it in Madden, so I guess I can understand why some people wouldn't want to use it in NCAA.

Oh please, the only person that I heaven't beat is LittleTokyo. And I've used Rick Mirer and the old men WRs to kick a certain champion's behind in a defense-laden stunner. You can't tell me that all the talent is on the XBox side.

This is exactly what will happen by September 30th, and I'm padding myself a good month here:

1. Former EA/Madden haters who showered EA with love with the XBL support will quit because they can't understand why they can't throw passes 50 yards off their backfoot after a 15 step drop, or when the discover that they can't break 10 tackles... per running play.

2. Everyone will laugh at Konex/Cloudy's expense cause we will still continue to throw into 3 or 4 man coverage. Even more laughter when he doesn't understand why sending in the house doesn't stop QBs immediately.

3. PS2 users will miss FMT and DMczaf for a while, and then suddenly they all receive messages from a "FrenchMov" and "DMczaf" begging for forgiveness, much like the ESPN NFL 2004 FIASCO of 2003-04. They will pick up a copy of Madden 2005 cause they complain of lack of talent and competition. And they will get all sorts of crap from WsbiKing for months, count on it!

4. Repeat item #2

If anything, this will allow me to improve my game even further by playing on PS2. Hmm... I don't know about you, but I don't expect a lot of other people who have been playing the last two years online on PS2 to just go out and buy an XBox, XBL, and Madden 2005, which is my case. Oh, and I'm only spending $20-$60 for my Madden (depending on the good ol' EA store) so price wise, you know my answer.

And Wellington, you're crazy to think your beloved Jeremy Shockey will punk me. I will make sure Warren Sapp takes out Eli Manning in the first quarter, and Robert Gallery just bitchslaps that toothless right end Strahan...

shpankey

not an idiot
You are a jaded gamer. ;)

And there will be tens of thousands of Xbox Madden players online. There will be more than enough talent for anyone.

Top Bottom