• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

What is the best way to build endurance for marathon?
I run 10 km 3-4 times a week and then do 20 km on last day.
Legs are very tired after that 20 km, and I can't even imagine what it's like to go for another twenty.

You're feeling burned out because you're crushing a lot of mileage in the run-up to your distance training, essentially running a weekly near-marathon piecemeal.

There is really no need for that - it's more effective to vary and stagger your training intensity. During the week, up the intensity by going faster for shorter distances. Try to find a weekly rhythm that goes something like:

Day 1: short jog
Day 2: tempo run for less half the distance on day 6
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: tempo run for less than half the distance on day 6
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Distance run

So if we take your current estimates, it would look like:

Day 1: 5 kilometer jog (slower than comfortable for you)
Day 2: 8 kilometer tempo (breathing hard)
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: 8 kilometer tempo
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: 18 kilometers comfortable pace

Every 2-3 weeks, up those distances slightly. It's better to find an online calculator for an endurance training that suits your ability and age but chances are, it'll spit out a schedule that's patterned like the above.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm running/need to run to help my knee pain. Anyone have tips for this? Debating if I wanna use one of those band thingies but I really don't think I need it.

I'm running/need to run to help my knee pain. Anyone have tips for this? Debating if I wanna use one of those band thingies but I really don't think I need it.

What kind of knee pain do you have?

There are so many ways of approaching something like this. Depending on what it is, a lot of knee problems are caused by muscle imbalance issues in other parts of the body (usually the hips/core). I've used a few things like you've mentioned in the past (IT strap, knee sleeves) and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't -- it all depends on what's up.

Speaking of knees, does anyone here take joint supplements like glucosamine? I've been taking just regular glucosamine sulfate off and on for probably the past 10 years or so (never got chondroitin because my family was freaking out about Mad Cow Disease, haha), but I dabbled in flax seed and fish oils for a while when I was still competitive. I never knew if it was just a placebo or not, but I've never really had any knee problems aside from IT band/hip issues.

MikeDip

What kind of knee pain do you have?

There are so many ways of approaching something like this. Depending on what it is, a lot of knee problems are caused by muscle imbalance issues in other parts of the body (usually the hips/core). I've used a few things like you've mentioned in the past (IT strap, knee sleeves) and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't -- it all depends on what's up.

Speaking of knees, does anyone here take joint supplements like glucosamine? I've been taking just regular glucosamine sulfate off and on for probably the past 10 years or so (never got chondroitin because my family was freaking out about Mad Cow Disease, haha), but I dabbled in flax seed and fish oils for a while when I was still competitive. I never knew if it was just a placebo or not, but I've never really had any knee problems aside from IT band/hip issues.

Right, of course. That would be useful wouldn't it? Sorry!

I have psoriasis on my knee which led to psoriatic arthritis, but it's incredibly mild. The real problem is it that arthritis created a small well in the front of my knee where my kneecap is and fluid gets in there which causes pain. It also caused me to kinda walk with my leg twisted? If that makes sense? Like my left foot points slightly towards the other foot instead of strait ahead.

I'm walking/running on doctors orders, apparently building muscle there will help with the fluid in the knee to reduce the pain. Most times it's when I am not using the knee when it hurts, like if I don't stretch it out I go insane. But sometimes when running it still acts up.

I know the standard rule is to not run through the pain but in my case I gotta and it kind of sucks.

EDIT: Oh I should add, I have recently had xrays and an MRI on this knee. Everything is strong as hell. Bones good, tendons good. etc.

Had my best ever month of running duration wise in June. 160K to earn the Nike platinum trophy for the first time. Over a week of due to soreness as well.

Started off July with a nice 11k under 55 despite running at a time i hate. I really just can't run in the evening/night. My times are so poor. I have read that the evening is the optimal time to run, but for my it is the morning. It doesn't matter how long since I last ate, or how tired I feel, I always just run so much faster and feel much more energetic. I have taken today off because I have been running late this week and wan't to get back to the morning tomorrow.

Aikidoka

I live near the smoky mountains and want to try running on mountain trails. Any tips for starting out? I'm not an ultra runner or anything close, longest I run for are 5k s currently.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
A friend of mine wanted to start working out one day a week to encourage him to keep his exercise schedule up, and I accepted for the same reason. We started out using a treadmill and an elliptical, but quickly just started running instead.

The issue, though, is that I don't run. In junior high when we had to run every week in PE I just walked. In highschool, I made an effort to run, but I'd get this icy burn in my lungs, then it would spread to my throat and mouth, and if I kept going, into my lips, sinuses, and nostrils.

The route we've been taking is less than two miles, but that burn has been creeping up on me, and I can't run anywhere near the whole way. I don't get it when I do other exercises though, I don't know what's going on that this happens when I run. Do any of you have any experiences like this?

I didn't run yesterday morning because i felt shattered, but got out this morning and was 14 seconds a km faster over 12k compared to my evening 11k.

Really feeling good about this month. Gonna try and shed a few more kgs with a better diet over the next couple of weeks as I want to get a new bespoke so hopefully my time will tumble too.

I have now put in 70k in my nike air zoom elite 7s, the 8 just came out with a Kobe and Mo Farah ad. They are a very comfortable runner, but I miss my flyknit racers. They were just so light, it was like I had nothing on. The Elites feel so much heavier with all that cushioning and extra material. I was kinda talked out of getting the flyknit 3s by the nike salesmen and they are the most expensive shoe, but I am just hoping to do 500k in these Elites as quickly as possible so i can buy the flyknit racers, and by which time they will hopefully have come out with a 4th version.

Ambitious

Didn't know there's a dedicated thread for running. Cool. For some context, here's what I posted in the Fitness thread:

I started jogging regularly about two months ago, and I feel pretty great about my progress. My route is approximately 6.1 km (~3.8 miles), but there are several hills; one of them is especially steep. Back then, I had to take a break to catch my breath at least every half kilometer, and I had to walk all uphill parts.

Today, I hit my first major milestone: I managed to run the whole route without a single break. Feels really good.
It took me 39 minutes, so I guess my next goal is to increase my speed in order to do it in 30 minutes or less.

I haven't really changed my routine since then, though I plan to also do strength training soon.

Anyway, the reason for this post is that since about two weeks, I feel pain on the left side of my hip. As far as I remember, it started the day after I strained myself a bit.
I can't pinpoint the exact location, but it's in this area:

d56ed97e0928f11c7b6595c6a757cec0.jpg

Maybe an inch higher. It's directly on the side. It hurts when walking or when I rotate my leg, but not when my leg is relaxed, so I guess it's a muscle.

Obviously, I quit running for a few days until it seemed to be gone, but after the next run, the pain returned. So I quit for another whole week. Yesterday, I ran again, and now it hurts again. What can I do about that? Taking a break from jogging for even longer?

yogloo

I sort of injured my Achilles tendon from running. Took two weeks off. I still feel something on the spot but no pain. Should I start running again?

Fistwell

Main objective is running in 4min/K, getting there ever so slowly.
Got a new PB on the first 5K at 20:41, but cutting off those last 14-15s/K is being kind of difficult. I think I'm screwing up on food though. I used to do that run fasted, now some irl friends got in my head about eating smthing before I go. I leave an hour between my (light) breakfast and the run (don't wanna wait much more or it'll get too hot, don't wanna get up earlier cause I need my sleep), but I can still feel crap slushing around in my stomach, which is mighty uncomfortable. I'll just get some coffee next week, or even nothing at all, fuck that shit.

I didn't run yesterday morning because i felt shattered, but got out this morning and was 14 seconds a km faster over 12k compared to my evening 11k.

Really feeling good about this month. Gonna try and shed a few more kgs with a better diet over the next couple of weeks as I want to get a new bespoke so hopefully my time will tumble too.

I have now put in 70k in my nike air zoom elite 7s, the 8 just came out with a Kobe and Mo Farah ad. They are a very comfortable runner, but I miss my flyknit racers. They were just so light, it was like I had nothing on. The Elites feel so much heavier with all that cushioning and extra material. I was kinda talked out of getting the flyknit 3s by the nike salesmen and they are the most expensive shoe, but I am just hoping to do 500k in these Elites as quickly as possible so i can buy the flyknit racers, and by which time they will hopefully have come out with a 4th version.
Ha! Bought a new pair in May myself, but already looking around for the next one. ;3
Where were you at again, Korea or something? How's summer there? Are you managing the heat ok? I'm starting to think I might have to wait till september to see my times go down as the temperature drops.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
D
d56ed97e0928f11c7b6595c6a757cec0.jpg

Maybe an inch higher. It's directly on the side. It hurts when walking or when I rotate my leg, but not when my leg is relaxed, so I guess it's a muscle.

Obviously, I quit running for a few days until it seemed to be gone, but after the next run, the pain returned. So I quit for another whole week. Yesterday, I ran again, and now it hurts again. What can I do about that? Taking a break from jogging for even longer?

Do you hear a snapping sound in the area if you raise your leg, twist it so your knee is pointing up and to the right, and lower it again? That's what is happening to me since I pulled a muscle on the insight of my thigh. I didn't wait long enough for it to heal so it healed incorrectly and I unconsciously changed the way I walk and run, which led to me experiencing a similar pain to what you are describing. Been to a physiotherapist a couple of times, but no luck so far. It's been like this for almost 6 months now.

Anyway, whatever you have might be something else entirely, but I would definitely recommend taking a break until the pain is gone. If it's still there after a 3 or 4 weeks see a doctor.

mdsfx

Just ran the Firecracker 5K in Ann Arbor, MI. Smallest race I've ever done both in terms of distance and turnout, with only 750 runners.

Ran it on 22:45 which, for me, is a faster than usual pace averaging about 7:20/mi. I think i could've have pushed a little more early in the race with less sprinting at the end. I think I'm too used to longer distances and pacing myself.

One day I hope to do it in under 21 minutes.

ATF487

Just ran the Firecracker 5K in Ann Arbor, MI. Smallest race I've ever done both in terms of distance and turnout, with only 750 runners.

Ran it on 22:45 which, for me, is a faster than usual pace averaging about 7:20/mi. I think i could've have pushed a little more early in the race with less sprinting at the end. I think I'm too used to longer distances and pacing myself.

One day I hope to do it in under 21 minutes.

Nice! Surprised that 750 people constitutes a small race though

I just ran my first 5k, did it in 25 minutes flat. I've been running consistently for a couple of months but this was the first time I ran the full length without stopping for a short walk. I'm trying to slowly adjust my body to get better at more distance running, I mostly played soccer growing up and I'm much more used to interval style training

Patriots7

Any tips for shin splints?
I've tried shoes, inserts, drinking copious amounts of water, resting more between days but no matter what, after 2-3 miles, I get horrible shin splints (always in my left leg too)

inm8num2

Any tips for shin splints?
I've tried shoes, inserts, drinking copious amounts of water, resting more between days but no matter what, after 2-3 miles, I get horrible shin splints (always in my left leg too)

Years ago I developed shin splints- every now and then I can feel a very slight sensation in my right shin from them, but the problem is essentially gone.

That said, they generally arise from 'too much, too soon' - ramping up intensity in a short amount of time or just overuse. The only thing that got me past shin splints was an extended break from running for 3-4 months.

I'm not saying you need to stop for 3-4 months, but maybe try a couple weeks off. If you can do some biking and weight training in that time. There are some basic exercises to target the shins as well - curling the toes to move a towel seemed helpful enough. I also did some tibia lifts (or whatever they're called) w/ light weight and higher reps (10-12 reps / set).

9VcLfgW.gif

Getting over shin splints is all about patience. When I developed them I thought I could just run it off, but the problem just kept getting worse. See how you feel after a couple weeks, and if the problem is still there you might need to rest for longer. At the very least you have other options to keep up your cardio.

Hope everything gets better for you!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, tomorrow I'm running my first sprint marathon ever. Running and biking are no problem but swimming I'm a bit nervous. I've been in a clinic for 2 months in order to improve my technique and I did see some progress, but it's all been in a pool. Today my plan is to drop off my bike, rent my wetsuit, and at least have one full course swim before the race tomorrow.

Ran my 4th of July 5k today and finished in 24:56. Ankle held up alright until about halfway through but dang I'm paying for it now. My calf worked overtime when I tried to ease off my ankle, so it's suuuuuper tight. Gonna be an ibuprofen and RICE kind of night!

max_505

I've read conflicting opinions about breathing in through the nose only as opposed to through the nose + mouth. Is there really a right way to breathe in? I've been running for a couple of months and never had problems breathing in through my nose and mouth.

Just started off my week with a nice 8k at 4'47 a km. Really feels good to be hitting under 4'50 with a few runs this month. 5'47 in April(11km) 5'26 in May(129km), 5'03 in June(160km) and 4'50 so far in July(31km)

I am really happy because I have been around the same weight since early May so my gains are dwn to performance rather than just losing weight which is something that has always held me back in the past. I would always think my time would be dependent on my weight, but I have now proved myself wrong and know there is no excuse in the future.

GAF, tomorrow I'm running my first sprint marathon ever. Running and biking are no problem but swimming I'm a bit nervous. I've been in a clinic for 2 months in order to improve my technique and I did see some progress, but it's all been in a pool. Today my plan is to drop off my bike, rent my wetsuit, and at least have one full course swim before the race tomorrow.

good luck, i have no idea what a sprint marathon is, but I hope it all goes well

Ran my 4th of July 5k today and finished in 24:56. Ankle held up alright until about halfway through but dang I'm paying for it now. My calf worked overtime when I tried to ease off my ankle, so it's suuuuuper tight. Gonna be an ibuprofen and RICE kind of night!

hopefully you get some good rest now.

Fistwell

That's a pretty rad time for someone skipping along on one foot. ;)
Hope you're able to get over it soon, lingering injuries are no fun.

Late Flag

Cool -- I didn't know this thread existed.

What is the best way to build endurance for marathon?
I run 10 km 3-4 times a week and then do 20 km on last day.
Legs are very tired after that 20 km, and I can't even imagine what it's like to go for another twenty.

I strongly disagree with some of the advice earlier to go with shorter runs only. Short, easy runs have an important role in any good training program, but you're never going to develop endurance without a solid weekly volume of distance over a prolonged period of time, and at least some long runs of 25+ kms (closer to 30 kms).

I've had very good experiences with the training plans Pfitzinger advocates in Advanced Marathoning. Those plans give you a good variety of workouts with long runs, mid-distance runs, recovery runs, and various forms of speedwork. And they give you enough overall mileage to build endurance.

A lot of the endurance-based adaptations you get from running take time and won't come overnight. I remember when I would be really drained after a 10 miler. Now I do two of those a week every week during the off-season and they're pretty effortless. It isn't until I get out to 15 miles or so that I get to distances that I find challenging, and even then I very rarely finish and think that I couldn't have gone a few more miles. It comes with time.

For the record, I'm a mid-packer in his early 40s whose best marathon time is 3:50. Somebody with more natural running ability could probably get by with fewer miles. For an average guy like though, volume matters a lot.

MikeDip

I've read conflicting opinions about breathing in through the nose only as opposed to through the nose + mouth. Is there really a right way to breathe in? I've been running for a couple of months and never had problems breathing in through my nose and mouth.

I always heard (from my doctor as well) to focus on mouth in and mouth out to breathe while running. Especially for out since getting out that CO2 is important.

Zoe

I simply can't do anything other than nose in, mouth out. That was hammered into us during land training when I was a swimmer.

Linius

Cool -- I didn't know this thread existed.

I strongly disagree with some of the advice earlier to go with shorter runs only. Short, easy runs have an important role in any good training program, but you're never going to develop endurance without a solid weekly volume of distance over a prolonged period of time, and at least some long runs of 25+ kms (closer to 30 kms).

I've had very good experiences with the training plans Pfitzinger advocates in Advanced Marathoning. Those plans give you a good variety of workouts with long runs, mid-distance runs, recovery runs, and various forms of speedwork. And they give you enough overall mileage to build endurance.

A lot of the endurance-based adaptations you get from running take time and won't come overnight. I remember when I would be really drained after a 10 miler. Now I do two of those a week every week during the off-season and they're pretty effortless. It isn't until I get out to 15 miles or so that I get to distances that I find challenging, and even then I very rarely finish and think that I couldn't have gone a few more miles. It comes with time.

For the record, I'm a mid-packer in his early 40s whose best marathon time is 3:50. Somebody with more natural running ability could probably get by with fewer miles. For an average guy like though, volume matters a lot.

I don't think it's a matter of agreeing or disagreeing rather than preference. Both ways of training have already proved to be working out plenty. And both are backed by professionals.

Still recovering from the battering my ankle took during the 5k on Saturday. Was swollen for a couple days but improving now with ice and rest. Peroneal tendon injury is way worse than when I had issues with my IT band. Woof.

NoWayOut

I have completed a 8 weeks interval training to go from couch to 5K. I Run 30 minutes 5 times a week and my current best 5K is around 27 min.

I would like to slowly transition to 10K and I'm looking for suggestions. Should I just add distance gradually, like 1 week 6K, then 7K, etc or should I go back to interval training 5x2K, 3x3K, etc. ?

desu

5K in 27min sounds pretty good for 8 weeks from couch to 5K.

Might just be my opinion and everyone is different but I wouldn't surprise if you can easily run 10K if you don't speed too much.

Can't really recommend a 'best' way, I would just try a gradual / interval mix and see what woks best.

I've always wondered. When Americans use the letter 'k' when talking distance, is that just for thousand and you're still talking miles, or do you actually mean 'km'?

mdsfx

I've always wondered. When Americans use the letter 'k' when talking distance, is that just for thousand and you're still talking miles, or do you actually mean 'km'?
Km. The races, at least here, are named 5k, 8k, 10k, etc, but it all stands for kilometers

Cyan

Banned
It's especially confusing because I still think about my running speed as minutes per mile. So I'll be like "right on, did that 10k at an 8:00 pace."

MikeDip

I simply can't do anything other than nose in, mouth out. That was hammered into us during land training when I was a swimmer.

I might try this tomorrow just to see how it feels. Breathing is my one weakness I don't really think I am good at it.

Fistwell

I'm still a running noob. Almost done with my Couch to 5k, but what are tempo runs?
Threshold running, out of your comfort level, but not going all out. Here they say about 30s/K slower than your 5K (race) pace.

Edit: for additional reading, here's a ridiculously long bit on how to find the right tempo for your tempo run.

I always heard (from my doctor as well) to focus on mouth in and mouth out to breathe while running. Especially for out since getting out that CO2 is important.
I think, mechanically, that's the more effective option, you can gulp down a lot more air through your mouth than through your nose. Think I've read (or heard) that running while breathing through your nose is making things tougher on yourself, and/or a sign you could be pushing yourself much, much harder (or just that you're going at a pace that's real comfortable for you).

Linius

I have to say it's near impossible for me to run my race pace when I'm just out on my own. Yesterday I did 10km in 5:10/km pace. But my fastest race pace so far for that distance is 4:51. And yesterday I felt pretty tired after my run. These events really give you wings.

I have completed a 8 weeks interval training to go from couch to 5K. I Run 30 minutes 5 times a week and my current best 5K is around 27 min.

I would like to slowly transition to 10K and I'm looking for suggestions. Should I just add distance gradually, like 1 week 6K, then 7K, etc or should I go back to interval training 5x2K, 3x3K, etc. ?

You should keep base training. Once you have 3 total months of running under your belt look for a formal 10k plan to a race. Along the way keep doing 5k's

I think I've screwed up. I have back to back 5k's Saturday, Sunday, a soccer game, and a wedding to attend. Thank god I'm taking off next week.

I have to say it's near impossible for me to run my race pace when I'm just out on my own. Yesterday I did 10km in 5:10/km pace. But my fastest race pace so far for that distance is 4:51. And yesterday I felt pretty tired after my run. These events really give you wings.

I haven't enjoyed the two races I have done. It is the most popular one in Seoul, Nike, so it gets a lot of idiots who

a) cant run 10k, literally walking after the first kilometre
b) are doing it to pose, have huge headphones on and look like they are trying to model for the cameras
c) are complete idiots doing it with the 7, yes 7, year old kids
d) doing it while pushing prams

so I spend the first few km just trying to dodge them all. I really need to sign up to a more serious race.

I had a great run today. Feels so good to be back under 48 minutes for the 10k. 47'30 with the in and out both the same at 23'45.My fastest km in each section was when i saw someone ahead of me and used that to increase my speed. I am especially happy because I didn't think I was an evening right, which I said last week, but was feeling decent tonight.

I am now 4 minutes off of my PB and 7'31 away from my goal. Feels great because two months ago I was 13 minutes off of it.

Just a shame that I have had to stop with the 21k program for a bit. With soreness around my groin/inner thigh and the occasional stiff back, I have decided to take it relatively easy until I test out my new foam roller at the weekend. This was meant to be the peak week, but hopefully I can finish off the last few weeks of the program starting next week.

I think I might take the day off tomorrow, or i might try and do a very slow 3k. On Friday I hope to do a hill session and then on Saturday walk the 2k I usual run to the river, which never allows me to build up a good pace, and then try and run a fast 5K. Under 23 is what I am aiming for and under 22 would be great.

Linius

I think the answer to your problem is making sure you start up front. Since running went booming (which admittely also got me into it) there are a lot of casual runners out and about. Hell, I'm a casual runner myself. I do play by the rules though, I always make sure the faster runners can get by me without causing trouble. Keeping to the right is just etiquette. But really, if you can start in the front you don't have to deal with annoying people. Only have to be cautious not to follow the people around you since they'll most likely run much faster than you and before you know it you're running your first kilometer in under 4 minutes only to collapse later.

The walking thing is something I also don't really get by the way. I see that running is for everyone, but why even bother doing an event if you can't even run the whole course. When I did my 12km in Zandvoort last year I saw people walking within the first four kilometer. That seems so useless to me. Just pick a distance that suits you I'd say.

I think the answer to your problem is making sure you start up front. Since running went booming (which admittely also got me into it) there are a lot of casual runners out and about. Hell, I'm a casual runner myself. I do play by the rules though, I always make sure the faster runners can get by me without causing trouble. Keeping to the right is just etiquette. But really, if you can start in the front you don't have to deal with annoying people. Only have to be cautious not to follow the people around you since they'll most likely run much faster than you and before you know it you're running your first kilometer in under 4 minutes only to collapse later.

The walking thing is something I also don't really get by the way. I see that running is for everyone, but why even bother doing an event if you can't even run the whole course. When I did my 12km in Zandvoort last year I saw people walking within the first four kilometer. That seems so useless to me. Just pick a distance that suits you I'd say.

I wish I could start at the front, but there are 30,000 so they have a group, b group and c group. I am always in the c group :(((

I often think a lot of people just want the shirts and want to pose at some of these runs. or are just completely unaware that they can't just turn up with no training and run 10k.

Zoe

Just because you can run a whole course doesn't mean that's the most efficient way for you to complete the race.

Linius

Yeah, but every group starts in a wave right? Just make sure you're in the starting area as one of the first runners of your wave. I participated in the Dam to Dam run last year which also has well over 30.000 participants doing the 10 English Mile distance. In my experience they open up the starting area 20 to 30 minutes before you're good to go. And they leave enough space in between waves so you normally don't have to bother with the wave before you. They'll be spread out plenty by the time you catch up with the back end of that group. If they indeed release all 30.000 at once chaos will ensue :p

Just because you can run a whole course doesn't mean that's the most efficient way for you to complete the race.

If you participate in a running event isn't it kind of the point to actually run the thing? We also have hiking events. Over here a lot of running events actually organize a hiking event on the side. To me it's just silly to join a running event when you can't handle the distance. Most events have plenty of different distances to choose from, so there should be something for anyone.

Yeah, but every group starts in a wave right? Just make sure you're in the starting area as one of the first runners of your wave. I participated in the Dam to Dam run last year which also has well over 30.000 participants doing the 10 English Mile distance. In my experience they open up the starting area 20 to 30 minutes before you're good to go. And they leave enough space in between waves so you normally don't have to bother with the wave before you. They'll be spread out plenty by the time you catch up with the back end of that group. If they indeed release all 30.000 at once chaos will ensue :p

I really need to work on getting to the start line quicker. The waves start 10 minutes apart, but I always end up catching people in the first wave.

Worst think was last when they introduced the 21k and so many people just did the 10k course instead. got their 21k shirt, ran 10k, then posed with their 21k finisher medal like they completed the whole thing.

Linius

Oh yeah, these things happen. I can't be bothered really, if people want to fool themselves just let them.

Last year I ran 10km at this event called "De 20 van Alphen", which means the 20km of Alphen. A small city in The Netherlands. And probably to reduce costs they only have one kind of medal. So even though I ran 10km, I'm stuck with a medal that suggests I did 20 :p

Zoe

If you participate in a running event isn't it kind of the point to actually run the thing? We also have hiking events. Over here a lot of running events actually organize a hiking event on the side. To me it's just silly to join a running event when you can't handle the distance. Most events have plenty of different distances to choose from, so there should be something for anyone.

Guess I should just quit my 10k's and half-marathons, huh. Sorry my slow pace isn't good enough.

I can handle the distance. But I'm going to take a short walking break every ten minutes or so because that will result in a faster overall pace.

You really do run a lot of races, which i did more :(((

I feel like I am just a poser waiting for the Nike race so I can get my my shirt, medal, and some nike wet wipes. :p

Top Bottom