• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Guess I should just quit my 10k's and half-marathons, huh. Sorry my slow pace isn't good enough.

I can handle the distance. But I'm going to take a short walking break every ten minutes or so because that will result in a faster overall pace.

Does it really?

Whenever I stop-start, or slow my pace down, it always feels harder to then get back up to race speed and makes me feel worse after I run. I always feel my muscles just prefer a nice steady pace.

KiKaL

Does anyone have trouble with pain in the ball of their foot? I am training for a Marathon and battling issues with it. I took a week and a half off and iced my foot after my last run (6 miles) and am starting to feel some pain again.

I am looking at getting a Metatarsal pad and seeing if that would help. I probably have about 300ish miles on my shoes. So they are getting older but should still have some life.

This all started after an 11 mile run. Which is longer than my usual distance of around 6-9 miles but I had just done a 14 mile OC race a few weeks prior.

Linius

Guess I should just quit my 10k's and half-marathons, huh. Sorry my slow pace isn't good enough.

I can handle the distance. But I'm going to take a short walking break every ten minutes or so because that will result in a faster overall pace.

That's the first I've heard of that to be honest. If I start walking for a bit that means I'm losing time since I can't walk on running pace after all. I don't mean any disrespect, but if you have to walk to get a better time doesn't that mean you actually can't handle the distance? Walking is per definition slower than running so I don't quite follow how you can be faster by going slower in certain sections of your run.

Then again, everyone is free to do whatever they like. I just personally found it a bit odd that so many people pick a certain distance and then start walking.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as a dick here, I'm just an amateur and casual runner myself :p

You really do run a lot of races, which i did more :(((

I feel like I am just a poser waiting for the Nike race so I can get my my shirt, medal, and some nike wet wipes. :p

It's quite easy here in The Netherlands, we have a crazy amount of events going on. If you really want you can pick one every weekend. Ranging from just a couple 100 people to thousands of people. This year I've done two so far and I have at least three more scheduled. Quite possibly a fourth will join soon. Last year I did four. So I will most likely gather my tenth medal this year. On various distances, 7km, 10km, 12km, 15km, 16,1km and at last a half marathon. These events are really what motivates me, I really enjoy the atmosphere.

Zoe

Does it really?

Whenever I stop-start, or slow my pace down, it always feels harder to then get back up to race speed and makes me feel worse after I run. I always feel my muscles just prefer a nice steady pace.

It does for me. Walking uses a different set of muscles, so it gives the rest a break. The last 10k I did I felt good and started off without the walk break, but I noticed my intervals were slowing down. When I got back into the run/walk pattern, my pace went back up. Ended up with negative splits on the second half.

I will walk during training to increase my overall run time for the day. I don't know if walking during a race where you are trying to PR is really a good strategy. To me that means you probably are slightly undertrained for whatever pace you stared with.

Now if you are just try to finish the race the above does not apply.

TheGrue

The confusion was that it would be 8 minutes per kilometer right? That was what I was getting at anyways.

Just assume when I'm talking pace it's always km's, I know nothing about miles :p

What they were saying is mixing things. In the U.S. we all talk about our paces in mile per hour, but the races, with the exception of a half marathon or marathon, are talked about in km. It's this weird thing. So they were talking about the weirdness of saying you ran an 8 minute mile in a 10K race.

I have a blistering 12 minute mile pace. On a good day that is.

Linius

Ah, I see. Oh well, confusing situations all around. The funny thing is that over here in Europe we also have races that are referred to in miles even though we talk in km. For example the one I'm doing in september in 10 English Mile, which is 16,1 km.

Cyan

Banned
I think the answer to your problem is making sure you start up front. Since running went booming (which admittely also got me into it) there are a lot of casual runners out and about. Hell, I'm a casual runner myself. I do play by the rules though, I always make sure the faster runners can get by me without causing trouble. Keeping to the right is just etiquette. But really, if you can start in the front you don't have to deal with annoying people. Only have to be cautious not to follow the people around you since they'll most likely run much faster than you and before you know it you're running your first kilometer in under 4 minutes only to collapse later.

Yeah, this. One of my favorite runs in the Palo Alto Moonlight 10k, which is a run that goes out over the baylands under a full moon in August or September. A lot of fun. But it's become hugely popular and full of like people with strollers and packs of slow people. Starting near the front resolves most of that. I don't go all the way to the front, since I don't want to get in the way of the competitive runners, but getting closer to the front helps a lot.

The confusion was that it would be 8 minutes per kilometer right? That was what I was getting at anyways.

Just assume when I'm talking pace it's always km's, I know nothing about miles :p

I got it. :p

guess

That's the first I've heard of that to be honest. If I start walking for a bit that means I'm losing time since I can't walk on running pace after all. I don't mean any disrespect, but if you have to walk to get a better time doesn't that mean you actually can't handle the distance? Walking is per definition slower than running so I don't quite follow how you can be faster by going slower in certain sections of your run.

Some people train and or use this method while running:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
From this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Galloway

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Yeah, this. One of my favorite runs in the Palo Alto Moonlight 10k, which is a run that goes out over the baylands under a full moon in August or September. A lot of fun. But it's become hugely popular and full of like people with strollers and packs of slow people. Starting near the front resolves most of that. I don't go all the way to the front, since I don't want to get in the way of the competitive runners, but getting closer to the front helps a lot.
Oh wow that sounds lovely. I'm jealous.

Afrocious

Hi folks.

Anyone ever got pains in their knee, like right underneath the knee? I was doing Couch to 5k and got all the way to week 4 but stopped due to my knee aching as I approached a mile.

I will say getting running shoes with new soles helped relieve some of the pain my feet would receive (I have really flat feet). However, this knee problem sucks. I haven't been running in 2 weeks.

Linius

For the big events the professional athletes usually have their spot in the front before us plebs. The basterds even come in at the very last minute while we're waiting there :p

Some people train and or use this method while running:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
From this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Galloway

Definitely sounds like an interesting technique for training.

Linius

Interesting technique, but isn't this essentially the same as interval training?

It's a bit of the same, but the key difference is you literally walk. Interval is usually high intensity - low intensity - high intensity. But you keep running constantly. With this kind of training you actual walk which allows your body to rest a bit and heal for the next bit of running so to say.

Fistwell

Weekly spam update: 4:10. Getting there.
JH0b.png

Ankle is getting better day by day. I've been taking it pretty easy, as little time on the ankle as possible. Hoping that in a few weeks I can get back at it, but we'll see. Awesome progress, everyone!

Managed my longest run for the last five years today -7.6km in 1hr07mins.

Not a great pace but managed to go without walking except for about 50m up the steepest hill.

Been trying to stretch all evening so my legs are not dead tomorrow.

A bit over 20km last week, so slowly increasing it. Not seeing much weight loss though.

Not a great pace but managed to go without walking except for about 50m up the steepest hill.

Been trying to stretch all evening so my legs are not dead tomorrow.

A bit over 20km last week, so slowly increasing it. Not seeing much weight loss though.

congrats.

remember weight loss is to do with your diet. Just don't think because you are running more that you can eat more too.

congrats.

remember weight loss is to do with your diet. Just don't think because you are running more that you can eat more too.

Thank you.

What are the best foods for running and losing weight.

My diet definitely could be better. I don't eat heaps of junk food but when I eat, my servings are big. I know that and it's hard to change especially when trying to increase my mileage.

Fistwell

Thank you.

My diet definitely could be better. I don't eat heaps of junk food but when I eat, my servings are big. I know that and it's hard to change especially when trying to increase my mileage.
Should log your daily intake on myfitnesspal. Helps put caloric intake and exercise in perspective.

The typical macro balance is 40/30/30 (in % of calories from carbs, proteins, fat). I've found that going lower on the carb's side of things has helped me lose weight. There's not rly any specific runner's diet afaik, but it's common wisdom to avoid junk food, soda, heavily processed stuff, alcohol, and stick to homemade, simple food from wholesome ingredients. Feel free to drop by the nutrition thread for more detailed info.

Edit:
nice!!!

I did my 5k in 22.29 today. Really happy.

Legs feel great, back and chest are showing no problems.

Really looking forward to now pushing on next week. I hope to get under 4'40 pace for the 10k this week.
Good shit. It's a great feeling being pain free and looking at making progress.

Ankle is getting better day by day. I've been taking it pretty easy, as little time on the ankle as possible. Hoping that in a few weeks I can get back at it, but we'll see.
Good to read!

Thank you.

I don't know how healthy my diet is, but I eat a lot of canned tuna, no mercury poising yet :p It is pretty filling and I hope healthy.

you know you servings are big, so just try and change that for now. I don't know what food you eat, but say you have two slices of bacon and two eggs for breakfast then just have one slice and one egg. Just by controlling your portions you will find yourself losing weight while still enjoying the things you like.

Late Flag

Got in 18 miles this morning (29 km), the last four in a good steady rain. Slow, comfortable pace, but this is the longest training run I've done in several years, and I was surprised at how easy it was. Even as I sit here a couple hours later, I'm not particularly sore.

Hopefully this run signals good things for this training cycle. This is the first week for we with significantly heavier-than-usual mileage.

Linius

Usually I only feel my muscles the next day. Not the same day as my run. But 29km is damn fine training.

Having dinner now, planning on running tonight when the heat/sun are gone for the better part. Lately all my training has been late at night. Which is not the best since you've already got an entire day in your legs, but due to work and the sun rising early it's hard to get training hours in the morning in this time of the year.

TheGrue

Lately all my training has been late at night. Which is not the best since you've already got an entire day in your legs, but due to work and the sun rising early it's hard to get training hours in the morning in this time of the year.

All my best running is done in the evening/at night. I'm not a morning runner at all.

Linius

All my best running is done in the evening/at night. I'm not a morning runner at all.

Yeah I guess it could work for some people. But I get up at 4:30am for work. And I had about five hours of sleep. I can't say I'm that tired, but it's far from ideal for a fast run. Luckily I don't really bother too much with pace during my training. Just want to get some km's.

Running isn't even the best option for weight loss, as it's highly inefficient for a calorie burning activity. Hell, I would argue it's not even a good option. Running has much more to do with economy and managing resources and efforts, than a mere extra energy expenditure for people trying to wave their beer belly goodbye.
I've been deeply in love with running for a little short of a decade now, but never have I ever suggested it to anybody. Run if you like it, but if you do it just for weight loss, there are far better ways with which to employ your time, e.g. powerlifting, calisthenics, or HIIT if you really want to stick with podistics. And always get your diet in check, that solely is more than half the work for really any kind of weight loss program.

That said...

That's 8'50"/km, I'm not even sure it's not walking, really.
What kind of aspired weight loss are we talking? If you're not quite vastly out of shape, I would strongly advise you to focus on quality now, as in pressing the pace up with repetition training - at least until you'll be around 6'00"/km average on your 7 km run (which you'll continue to do once a week), and only then thinking of increasing the mileage again. I'm talking 2 rep. training sessions and 1 long run, weekly, always with a full recovery day between sessions.

As for foods, the best thing is always to minimize the processed ingredients. Try to eat simple, real foods. Have a look over here.

I don't know how healthy my diet is, but I eat a lot of canned tuna, no mercury poising yet :p It is pretty filling and I hope healthy.

They say it's kinda like the poultry of the sea. Nutritionally it's good, not sure about the mercury thing, though. But I still wouldn't eat it for ethical reasons: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...ia-earle-overfishing-seafood-ocean-hope-spots

max_505

What pace do we have to aim for if we want to run, not just jog? I'm only in week 7 of Couch to 5K, and I have 9'30"/km average pace (which, IMO, is pretty slow, but then again I just started running 7 weeks ago).

Linius

9,5 minute for a kilometer is pretty much walking if you ask me. I find it really hard to call a pace that's doable for anyone. But I know this girl back from high school who started running two years ago and she absolutely hated sports, but she's running around 6,5 minutes per kilometer now. Doing mostly 5k's.

The point is: why even bother doing 5k at 9'/km? What's that doing for you? Those are 350 kcal burnt if you're 80 kg, the rough equivalent of a PBJ sandwich. Again: not a good weight loss activity.

Even if you're starting from the absolute zero, and wanting to get into running, I would set 30' training sessions, consisting of alternate walking and running (no slower than 6'30"/km) until you can finally do a full 30' run, nearing 5 km in lenght. At that point I would suggest getting your 5 km under 30' as your next goal, and only thereafter upping the workload (by adding slightly more mileage).

Transitioning from sedentary to a running form equals not only to train cardiovascular efficiency and muscle tone, but also to getting your body to tolerate trauma, as in hitting the ground with your feet repeatedly for (sometimes) a hour long sessions. That's why proper footwear is a must when getting serious about running. Now consider this: the slower you're running, the longer the time that you're touching the ground, the bigger the strain that kneecaps and joints and bones have to put up with. Also, running slowly (6'/km or more) limits the range of motion that your legs go through, and that too is bad for the knee joint. It's not a mystery that, in the running world, slow pacers are those who get injured the most.

Fistwell

Yeah well I think chicko should run if he wants to. I don't think there's anything wrong with running slow. I started out doing light jogging at 8Km/h and I built up speed from there. I'm sure there are better, more efficient ways to go about losing weight, but any exercise helps. Running helped me lose 45+Kg in the last 16 months. *shrug*

Yeah well I think chicko should run if he wants to.

Anybody should do what anybody wants, ça va sans dir. Was such a specification needed?

Other than that, there are still drawbacks at running slowly, and practically no advantage that I can think of; I'm sorry if I've exerted somebody's disgust organs by giving plenty of advice on how to progress from a zombie jog to proper running, that really wasn't my intention.

Cyan

Banned
The difference between walking and running is pretty clear: it's a different type of motion. When you're walking you go from 1 foot on the ground to 2 feet on the ground to 1 foot on the ground, etc. When you're running you go from 1 foot on the ground to 0 feet on the ground to 1 foot on the ground, etc.

The difference between jogging and running has never been particularly clear to me. "Jogging" seems to have connotations of being less serious or not as good. I dunno. I've always called what I do "running" no matter what kind of speed I'm going at or how long I'm doing it for. If you have a specific and achievable goal of how fast you would like to be able to run, maybe set that as your bar and call it "running" when you get there. Or just call it "running" right now, it's not a big deal.

As far as weight loss: personally I don't count calories or optimize for weight loss or whatever. I just like running. I like putting on my running shoes, popping on some headphones, and then going out and pounding the pavement for a while. It's fun, and it's relaxing, and it's a way of getting exercise that I know I'll enjoy. Certainly if you're interested in mathematically optimal modes of weight loss you might have better options.

Shinypogs

I'm using walking and running to lose weight because I can't afford to go to a gym regularly and I'm scared I'll hurt myself trying to lift weights at home if I buy any. I mean I do bodyweight exercises I find online and even then I stick to things that look like they have the least chance of backfiring horribly on me. I lurk fitgaf though, those guys are scary but inspiring.

Running wise I'm still in my first week of a 5k program with the zombies 5k app since it starts you out gentler than a lot of the other c25k ones do.

I do need to get proper footwear this month as well :( I hate shoe shopping and I'm going to look so dumb looking for proper running shoes at my size.

The difference between walking and running is pretty clear:

It is, that's why when referring to a 9'/km pace as "a walk" what I'm really doing is just stating an hyperbole. Figures of speech are functional to effective communication.

As for the jogging/running dualism, would you say they're exactly the same thing? I don't think you do, you just don't want to appear rude or elitist. But there's nothing to be offended of, really! It's sometimes useful to distinguish, and I personally use two criteria in order to do so. Generally speaking, these are also the premises of athleticism:

- Do you plan your training? (As in: set goals, divide, differentiate, keep track, evalue.)
- Is your movement intentional as a whole? (I'm speaking posture, take-off, landing, arm swing, breathing.)

If the answer to these previous question is both yes, then you're most certainly a runner.

But if your only care is to get out of the house to take your mind off of things, just putting a foot in front of the other while knowing that you're doing something much healthier than chair-sitting, then you're a jogger.
And I don't say that in a bad way, it just happens to be a definition for a slightly different activity than running. And of course these are two extremes, feel free to fill in what in fact is a spectrum.

I do need to get proper footwear this month as well :( I hate shoe shopping and I'm going to look so dumb looking for proper running shoes at my size.

Try to look for specialized shops who have a treadmill and do the landing test. There, the staff is usually vastly more knowledgeble and helpful than the average sportswear vendor.

Running isn't even the best option for weight loss, as it's highly inefficient for a calorie burning activity. Hell, I would argue it's not even a good option. Running has much more to do with economy and managing resources and efforts, than a mere extra energy expenditure for people trying to wave their beer belly goodbye.
I've been deeply in love with running for a little short of a decade now, but never have I ever suggested it to anybody. Run if you like it, but if you do it just for weight loss, there are far better ways with which to employ your time, e.g. powerlifting, calisthenics, or HIIT if you really want to stick with podistics. And always get your diet in check, that solely is more than half the work for really any kind of weight loss program.

Yeah I understand that diet is the best way to lose weight, then lifting weights. Thing is, I hate both of those options far more than swimming or running, which I do both of.

I can swim very quickly for someone of my size. I do about 1200m straight through a couple of times a week during summer and less during winter, I didn't swim last week.

I currently run four times a week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and a long run on Saturday.

That said...

That's 8'50"/km, I'm not even sure it's not walking, really.
What kind of aspired weight loss are we talking? If you're not quite vastly out of shape, I would strongly advise you to focus on quality now, as in pressing the pace up with repetition training - at least until you'll be around 6'00"/km average on your 7 km run (which you'll continue to do once a week), and only then thinking of increasing the mileage again. I'm talking 2 rep. training sessions and 1 long run, weekly, always with a full recovery day between sessions.

It's definitely not walking for me. I slowly overtake all the walkers I go past as well.

I'm short and obese according to bmi (I am strong from swimming and playing water polo in my youth, but have a beer gut. I'm currently 31 years old). I wear size 36 pants but XL t-shirts. I'm very solid, but not fat. I play sport (cricket) and a bit of indoor soccer.

I my weekdays trainings are currently about 4km long and take 34mins. I do this running without stopping.

The point is: why even bother doing 5k at 9'/km? What's that doing for you? Those are 350 kcal burnt if you're 80 kg, the rough equivalent of a PBJ sandwich. Again: not a good weight loss activity.

Even if you're starting from the absolute zero, and wanting to get into running, I would set 30' training sessions, consisting of alternate walking and running (no slower than 6'30"/km) until you can finally do a full 30' run, nearing 5 km in lenght. At that point I would suggest getting your 5 km under 30' as your next goal, and only thereafter upping the workload (by adding slightly more mileage).

Transitioning from sedentary to a running form equals not only to train cardiovascular efficiency and muscle tone, but also to getting your body to tolerate trauma, as in hitting the ground with your feet repeatedly for (sometimes) a hour long sessions. That's why proper footwear is a must when getting serious about running. Now consider this: the slower you're running, the longer the time that you're touching the ground, the bigger the strain that kneecaps and joints and bones have to put up with. Also, running slowly (6'/km or more) limits the range of motion that your legs go through, and that too is bad for the knee joint. It's not a mystery that, in the running world, slow pacers are those who get injured the most.

My motivation is not weightloss but is more fitness. As I said I play cricket and are desperate to hit a century (a milestone in cricket) before I finish playing. To hit a century it takes a lot of effort. 99% of people who play cricket will never hit one because it is hard. We play during summer where temperatures are over 100deg F and you need to wear protective gear and be out there for about 3hours batting. I have been close a few times but my fitness is what is killing me. I'm easily skilled enough, I'm the best batsman in my team over the last four years, but get too tired and make mistakes. I could be better.

There is a 12km fun run on 20th September and my cricket club is entering a team for the players who want to do the run. It will be for charity and keep me active over winter, so that is a good thing. I am training With that date and distance in mind.

So I started the c25k in February. I finished it in about 3 month. Since then I have been slowly increasing my run times to make sure I will get to sept 20 and can run 12km without walking.

Yeah, I was hoping the running would help me lose weight but it was not the primary reason for taking up running. Having stronger legs helps a lot in cricket because you are standing up, jogging sporadically, for six-seven hours during a game. I wore my gps during a game last season, and I clocked up about 5km without taking into account my batting (couldn't wear my watch batting). A lot of this is walking around though.

It is, that's why when referring to a 9'/km pace as "a walk" what I'm really doing is just stating an hyperbole. Figures of speech are functional to effective communication.

As for the jogging/running dualism, would you say they're exactly the same thing? I don't think you do, you just don't want to appear rude or elitist. But there's nothing to be offended of, really! It's sometimes useful to distinguish, and I personally use two criteria in order to do so. Generally speaking, these are also the premises of athleticism:

- Do you plan your training? (As in: set goals, divide, differentiate, keep track, evalue.)
- Is your movement intentional as a whole? (I'm speaking posture, take-off, landing, arm swing, breathing.)

If the answer to these previous question is both yes, then you're most certainly a runner.

But if your only care is to get out of the house to take your mind off of things, just putting a foot in front of the other while knowing that you're doing something much healthier than chair-sitting, then you're a jogger.
And I don't say that in a bad way, it just happens to be a definition for a slightly different activity than running. And of course these are two extremes, feel free to fill in what in fact is a spectrum.
r.

By your definition then I am definitely a runner. I am in a nikeplus challenge with some friends from overseas. The goal was to run 400km from May 1 to December 31. I am currently sitting second out of 15 people with about 180km down.

What I find is that my first couple of kms are slow, around 9mins. The when I am warmed up I am running the last km at about 7.5mins. By the time I finish I am definitely out of breath.

So would you suggest I keep my weekday runs around 4km or should I keep increasing it? I want to increase it by another 1km or so so that I am running 5km three times during the week.

I also like running because I do find it relaxing, unlike working out in the gym - full of other people and bad music. Probably why I like swimming too.

ruxtpin

Banned
In DC for a work trip. I'm not much for politicians, but this is an incredible city for running. Gotta dodge tourist, but its something getting to do loops by the Jefferson and Washington Monuments with the White House in the background.

inm8num2

In DC for a work trip. I'm not much for politicians, but this is an incredible city for running. Gotta dodge tourist, but its something getting to do loops by the Jefferson and Washington Monuments with the White House in the background.

Just watch out for Captain America. :p

giphy.gif

Top Bottom