• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I don't understand these shin splints. Does everyone get it after a long race? I was under the impression that I trained enough and the shoes I bought would lower the chances of me getting them

Acc to my coach, you'll get them if you start ramping up your intensity too much or start adding longer runs than your body/current fitness level isaccustomed too.

Personally, I'm currently training for my first marathon in December and have started experiencing them for the first time ever despite every effort to try and prevent them; bought new shoes, get regular massage, have a sports chiro., etc. Just kind have to deal with them as a runner :X.

Acc to my coach, you'll get them if you start ramping up your intensity too much or start adding longer runs than your body/current fitness level isaccustomed too.

Personally, I'm currently training for my first marathon in December and have started experiencing them for the first time ever despite every effort to try and prevent them; bought new shoes, get regular massage, have a sports chiro., etc. Just kind have to deal with them as a runner :X.

This is what i know and read about shin splints:

As a runner you shouldn't have to deal with them.
All under leg injury's when running a lot are due to the faqt that your hips, quads, calfs or ankles are not properly trained and you should focus on strenghttraining for those areas.

If you however have really bad pronation or supination and your legs are really crooked or something then off course you should check that out first and fix with insoles.
I'm talking about normal people who ramp up their training.

If you do this you can fix a lot of minor aches and paines.

As always if someone more in the know or does not agree please tell me.

Goodlife

Starting to activly seek out hills for my runs now.
Don't mind running on flat, but does get a bit boring.

This was my lunchtime run....

Capture.jpg

Hard work

Hey runner's gaf. I'm trying to get back into running after getting into running last October and having a fun couple of months.

Last fall i started running and got my 5k to 23 min and 10k to 51 min. At the turn of the new year I stopped running for personal reasons for two months. I tried running after that and injured my foot. I haven't really run since.

I recently decided I would try again and stick with it. I bought some Brooks Launch 3s, and superfeet blacks (as recommended in store), and a garmin forerunner 220 to get gear out of the way. Now im looking for community. I previously used nike+ running but I have since switched from apple ecosystem. I know of strava but was wondering if anyone uses garmin connect, or has any other recommendations on community, gear or schedule.

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey runner's gaf. I'm trying to get back into running after getting into running last October and having a fun couple of months.

Last fall i started running and got my 5k to 23 min and 10k to 51 min. At the turn of the new year I stopped running for personal reasons for two months. I tried running after that and injured my foot. I haven't really run since.

I recently decided I would try again and stick with it. I bought some Brooks Launch 3s, and superfeet blacks (as recommended in store), and a garmin forerunner 220 to get gear out of the way. Now im looking for community. I previously used nike+ running but I have since switched from apple ecosystem. I know of strava but was wondering if anyone uses garmin connect, or has any other recommendations on community, gear or schedule.

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can sync Garmin Connect with Strava, so you can use them both without extra effort . Strava does the social stuff better, I guess.

Been running 5K every other day for about 2 months now. Feels great so far except recently after every run my big toe on one foot hurts SO bad further up the toe (in the joint/tendon/whatever connected to it on the top of my foot) and lately it has been hard to walk the next day.
I don't want to stop running but I don't want to be in severe pain! Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and/or any ways to possibly alleviate this?

Just got back. Im following the couch to10k schedule so I did run walk intervals of 5 min 3x. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been if I has eaten better (got some heartburn and minor asthmatic symptoms).

Im very happy with the shoes and insoles. They both felt wonderful and didn't get in the way. And after I took them off I could feel how they are changing my feet (been wearing them for a week -not running). Any opinions on them?

You can sync Garmin Connect with Strava, so you can use them both without extra effort . Strava does the social stuff better, I guess.

Yep, my Garmin syncs to Connect which I've got synced to Strava too. Works seamlessly.

Thanks I connected the account but it hasn't synced for some reason. Also I noticed when pairing my watch and phone via bluetooth the watch tries to autostart a run.

Been starting to get some pain in the tendons along the side of my feet. I then read online that this can be attributed to having your shoes laced all the way to the top. Turns out I laced the top holes traditionally and as a result have been putting excess pressure on my ankle. Ran today with 1 less set of holes laced and feet feel okay. I feel like a rookie.

We did our last track workout of the year this evening. Did my first ever 400,800,1200,1200,800,400 ladder with a 7 minute mile average. I cannot believe how much better I have gotten over the past few weeks. If you have a local running club I would check them out.

Salamando

If there was any doubt my running shoes were dead, today's run with new shoes proved it. Managed a sub 30 minute 5k when before, frequent walk breaks netted times of 35 minutes or so. And my shins don't hurt.

Goodlife

Interesting run tonight.
Planned on doing a 10k, but didn't pay much attention to my pacing over the first 2k, so went off too fast.
Thought fuck it, let's see what i can do with 5k... Ended up knocking like 1 min 30 off my pb and going sub 22 (have been fighting to go sub 23 for ages).

Only problem then was I was 5k from home and completely fucked! Long walk / slow joy back!

hom3land

Signed up for the Krispy Kreme Challenge. Run 2. 5 miles.. Eat a dozen donuts..run 2.5 miles back. All done in an hour. Need to get my mileage up. only at 3 miles max right now

Cyan

Banned
Signed up for the Krispy Kreme Challenge. Run 2. 5 miles.. Eat a dozen donuts..run 2.5 hours back. All done in an hour. Need to get my mileage up. only at 3 miles max right now

I gotta be honest this sounds like basically the worst possible run. That is like my nightmare.

Cyan

Banned
Hey Cyan,

How are you enjoying your watch?

It's great! I had a bit of frustration trying to figure out how to actually get the Garmin app on my phone to sync with it. And I still haven't figured out how to turn off notifications from my phone altogether, though at least putting it on silent mode means it won't buzz at the same time my phone does. But for just straight-up running stuff it works exactly as I'd hoped it would. :)

It's great! I had a bit of frustration trying to figure out how to actually get the Garmin app on my phone to sync with it. And I still haven't figured out how to turn off notifications from my phone altogether, though at least putting it on silent mode means it won't buzz at the same time my phone does. But for just straight-up running stuff it works exactly as I'd hoped it would. :)

As in the watch displaying notifications? Try Settings -> Bluetooth -> Smart Notifications, if it's anything like mine.

hom3land

Which watch did you get? Just got a job that gives $800 to spend on health products so was thinking a out getting a watch for running

Which watch did you get? Just got a job that gives $800 to spend on health products so was thinking a out getting a watch for running

I think it was listed on the last page. I think most Garmin watches are fine these days. Pick what suites your needs best.

I admit I am starting to regret getting this S2 Apple watch. It's been weeks and Strava still hasn't updated for independent use. I would have been fine with my S0 and just getting a separate GPS watch...

Edit: I exceeded 200km this month! First Strava monthly distance badge earned.

Orgen

I'm tired of my wired headphones. What bluetooth headphones would you recommend? It'd be nice if they're not expensive and have a battery that can last more than 4 hours (I don't want to finish my first marathon without music).

Thanks!

KeRaSh

I'm tired of my wired headphones. What bluetooth headphones would you recommend? It'd be nice if they're not expensive and have a battery that can last more than 4 hours (I don't want to finish my first marathon without music).

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJLMBQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought these and love them. reddit.com/r/running recommended them.

I'm currently struggling with a minor case of runner's knee. It doesn't hurt when walking throughout the day but I have to take it easy during my runs and I reduced my runs to about 1-2 a week. It fucking sucks.
I got a foam roller and a strap to support my knee today so I'll give those a shot.

It's really frustrating because I love running and I'd like to return to 3-4 runs a week with one long run. When it started I started feeling pain after 2-3K. Right now with some rest and some foam rolling I made it through a 5K run without any pain but I do feel a slight tenderness in that area. It also affects me on a psychological level. I can't take my mind off my knee when I'm running. I keep thinking: "Does it hurt? Is it my running form? Should I try different shoes? Can I pick up the pace a little or would it start hurting again?"
I can't really clear my head while running. I think it will get better if the pain stays away during longer and/or more intense runs after a while but first I have to get to that point.

Still looking forward to my run after work today. I'm at 920K according to Garmin and I'd like to break 1000K this year. It shouldn't really be a problem but with the break and taking it slow it just seems so far away...

KiKaL

Just signed up for another race so next year is already starting to look pretty solid. Signed up for the Toughest Mudder. The race will most likely start around 12am and be a 5mile course with roughly 13ish obstacles. Racers will then have 8 hours to complete as many laps as possible. My goal will be around 30+ miles.

So my goal for 2017 was longer endurance and now have plans for two 30mi+ races. Now the fun part, the journey to get there and be able to pass the finish line.

Suplexer

So how do we feel about running on treadmills?

It is starting to get cold around here and I'm debating putting one in my basement.

I came in here to ask the exact same question. My college has given me access to a gym, first time I've had such a luxury, and I want to use it to get back into running. I have zero clue how to operate the treadmills and would love to know what you guys and gals would recommend for a beginners routine on one. I would only be there Tue and Thurs, but I could probably go running one day on the weekend too.

partime

It is starting to get cold around here and I'm debating putting one in my basement.

Look around your basement right now. Is it interesting to look at? While on the treadmill, you will bring magazines, music, and entertainment, but when it comes down to it, you'll be looking in front of you at least half the time.

Obviously different strokes for different folks and all that, but my advice is to invest in a nice winter running gear (jacket, tights, gloves, hat/facemask) and learn to enjoy running outdoors in the winter. The only time I don't run outdoors is if it's icy or below -20F.

Basically, I despise running on treadmills.

Don't buy a cheap one if you plan on really pounding it. <$2000 is probably garbage.

I joined Planet Fitness mostly just for their treadmills. At $10/month it is worth it, and I use their weight equipment on off days. Treadmills are great, but just remember that you're performance on one won't match your street performance. For example, I hit 10k in under an hour on a treadmill waaay before I could do it on the road.

KiKaL

I personally don't enjoy them. I find it hard to be motivated to do long runs since I constantly look at the distance/time remaining. I recommend just getting some cold weather gear and then it's really not bad. If you live in a snowy/icy area, https://www.yaktrax.com/ are pretty amazing. I really enjoy how serene it is running after a snow storm.

Zoe

Oh man, ran a preview of the new Run for the Water course. They basically reversed it from last year, and I might be imagining it, but it feels a lot harder now.

fester

Banned
Look around your basement right now. Is it interesting to look at? While on the treadmill, you will bring magazines, music, and entertainment, but when it comes down to it, you'll be looking in front of you at least half the time.

They don't call it the Dreadmill for nothing.

I try to avoid as much as possible - only when there is a polar vortex going on will I head inside.

Is there such a thing as a good average elevation for runs?

For about three or four years I used to do my long runs around a trail/lake that was mostly flat. After some disappointing marathon time results I've given up on that path and have decided to push myself a bit more on the difficulty of my long runs by running my neighborhood.

For example, today I did 11 miles with an elevation gain of 580 ft. Is that pretty decent? Should I not be doing so much on a long run?

My thought process is to make my long runs significantly harder than my half or full marathons so that way they should be easier come race day. That said, the local races I've done are relatively flat. Here is the elevation chart from the last full I did.

LincolnMarathon_Elevation.gif

Fistwell

Is there such a thing as a good average elevation for runs?

For about three or four years I used to do my long runs around a trail/lake that was mostly flat. After some disappointing marathon time results I've given up on that path and have decided to push myself a bit more on the difficulty of my long runs by running my neighborhood.

For example, today I did 11 miles with an elevation gain of 580 ft. Is that pretty decent? Should I not be doing so much on a long run?

My thought process is to make my long runs significantly harder than my half or full marathons so that way they should be easier come race day. That said, the local races I've done are relatively flat. Here is the elevation chart from the last full I did.

LincolnMarathon_Elevation.gif
There isnt one right answer to this, but personaly, I'd pick long runs with elevation profiles comparable to the race you target. I actually have a semi a week from now, with a 90m climb between Kms 10 and 14, my run tomorrow has 10K on flat, then 90m elevation (over 3Km only, but close enough).

I guess including hills for the sake of it is also a healthy habit, if you can deal with the increased volume. As always, the more you do (without overtraining) the better.

Pedrito

First ever half marathon tomorrow. Temperature should be around the freezing point. Yeah...

I've used Nike+Nano all year and I have no idea if the calibration is alright. I might find out that I'm way slower than I thought (or faster...but I doubt it).

First ever half marathon tomorrow. Temperature should be around the freezing point. Yeah...

I've used Nike+Nano all year and I have no idea if the calibration is alright. I might find out that I'm way slower than I thought (or faster...but I doubt it).

Have fun! Still remember my first half like it was last year(which it was lol)

Pedrito

Have fun! Still remember my first half like it was last year(which it was lol)

Thanks, it was pretty fun. I ran 1:54:15 and was hoping for a sub 2 hours so I'm pretty satisfied. I don't really have the body shape of a distance runner so I doubt I'll ever be all that faster.

I really need to improve my "drinking while running" skill. Most of the gatorade ended up on my shirt instead of in my mouth. At the third station, I switched to water instead. Less messy.

Also, passing people is pretty fun and motivating, even if it's for the 130th place. I started extremely slow at the back of the pack so I spent most of the race overtaking people. For about 12 km, I had an amusing game of cat and mouse with someone who just wouldn't let me go by her. Each time, she would speed up to pass me again. In the last 2k, she put some distance on me but I tried a sprint in the last 500m and just got her at the line. It reminded me of the "Exercising demons" missions in GTA V, with all the back and forth. I hope she enjoyed our tacit rivalry. We did a good job pushing each other.

Goodlife

Did my first run today wearing a HR monitor.

The results surprised me a bit.... expected a bit of variation, bit it was pretty much steady all the way through, regardless of my pace (which was all over the place) and the elevation I was running.

Is that normal?

Capture.jpg

Zoe

Did my first run today wearing a HR monitor.

The results surprised me a bit.... expected a bit of variation, bit it was pretty much steady all the way through, regardless of my pace (which was all over the place) and the elevation I was running.

Is that normal?

I'd say so. You'd need to come to a complete stop (and stay there) to see a significant difference.

Just finished my first fall marathon. 1'49"27 for 10th in age category, 245th overall. I PR'ed by over 20 minutes. Definitely almost puked across finish line.

Top Bottom