• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Fistwell

It went OK.
LIec.jpg
Would have liked to break 1h30 but with that 4K uphill in the middle, wasn't gonna happen. Overall, I'm happy I stayed disciplined in the first 10K and negative splitted the shit out of it. Came close to puking my guts out after the finish line, as per usual.

All in all, a solid long run. ;)

You had a 10K last weekend, right? How did that go?

It went OK.

Would have liked to break 1h30 but with that 4K uphill in the middle, wasn't gonna happen. Overall, I'm happy I stayed disciplined in the first 10K and negative splitted the shit out of it. Came close to puking my guts out after the finish line, as per usual.

With that elevation profile that's a solid-ass time you got there, and you managed to finish super strong so hats off to you.

It went quite alright. The first two kilometers were uphill so that threw my timing off a little (as well as the enormous number of people), but still I managed to pull off 40:07 which isn't half bad. The real stand-outs were the firemen (it was La Cursa dels Bombers after all) running with all the fire gear and oxygen bottles, all in all 20 extra kilos. Balls of steel.

Also did a half-marathon this morning, and managed to go down from 1h35 to 1h29, so for today I'm pleased.

Fistwell

Great job on both accounts, hovering around 40 on 10K and breaking 1h30 on a semi, great stuff.

I think I'll time trial myself on a 10K in a cple of weeks. I shouldn't be too far off 40. Haven't been running as much as I would like, the ankle took more time than expected to recover from a sprain. Then again, I never quite run as much as I would like so maybe that's par for the course. :)

Edit: aye, 11 effing meters elevation! So jealous! :D
I need to pick my races better! ;)

Jamiaro

So happy I found this thread by accident! :)

I hope you can help me or give me some pointers.
I want to start running again after two year hiatus. I am about 10kg overweight according to my BMI-index and I remember easily suffering from sore calfs which took hell-a-long to recover from. :/

I am a heavy build by nature.

I'm a bigger guy my dudes but I used to run. Want to get more active. Do you welcome those who maybe go for long walks? I love walking ml but my shifty knees would probably explode if I tried jogging

Great job on both accounts, hovering around 40 on 10K and breaking 1h30 on a semi, great stuff.

I think I'll time trial myself on a 10K in a cple of weeks. I shouldn't be too far off 40. Haven't been running as much as I would like, the ankle took more time than expected to recover from a sprain. Then again, I never quite run as much as I would like so maybe that's par for the course. :)

Edit: aye, 11 effing meters elevation! So jealous! :D
I need to pick my races better! ;)

If you can find a flat-ish race the competition effect will do wonders for your time. Seeing other people run at more-or-less my pace makes me think I'm not going that fast and I tire less.

Hahaha, yeah :). It's one of the flattest HM around with the only possible difficulty being the wind/weather (which was quite good today) and one uphill-downhill bridge you have to cross twice.

I want to start running again after two year hiatus. I am about 10kg overweight according to my BMI-index and I remember easily suffering from sore calfs which took hell-a-long to recover from. :/

Mmm, maybe do some elliptical/biking if you feel your weight might be a problem and want to keep active while shedding it. Otherwise just run at an easy pace your first sessions and see how you feel, if you are a naturally strong dude(tte) you might not be overweight at all.

I'm a bigger guy my dudes but I used to run. Want to get more active. Do you welcome those who maybe go for long walks? I love walking ml but my shifty knees would probably explode if I tried jogging

As far as I'm concerned, "Couch to Marathons, All abilities Reply to Thread" :). If that's all you can manage with your knees, so be it. Health goes first. Welcome!

EDIT: Wanted to edit and I quoted myself. I'm embarrassed.

Fistwell

I used to be heavy as hell (275+lbs). Just take it slow, both pace-wise and in terms of building up mileage. Also maybe foam roll those calves if sore? In any case, welcome here!

Welcome, bigger dude! :D

It went OK.

I'd love to run like this once in my lifetime. Congrats!

Linius

My dad is running the NY marathon at the moment. Passed the 30K point 3 hours and 16 minutes. Always fun those live tracking tools.

Very nice! How was the circuit? Interesting?

Festwill, you also had a half-marathon today right? How did it go?

Yeah it was my local running club's (Dallas Running Club) 41st half based around white rock lake. Pretty scenery. Too bad the humidity was a bit high today.

It went OK.

Oddly enough this was the first time I felt so nauseous during a race. Then again I PR'ed by 20+ minutes so guess I haven't run so hard before.

With that elevation profile that's a solid-ass time you got there, and you managed to finish super strong so hats off to you.

It went quite alright. The first two kilometers were uphill so that threw my timing off a little (as well as the enormous number of people), but still I managed to pull off 40:07 which isn't half bad. The real stand-outs were the firemen (it was La Cursa dels Bombers after all) running with all the fire gear and oxygen bottles, all in all 20 extra kilos. Balls of steel.

Also did a half-marathon this morning, and managed to go down from 1h35 to 1h29, so for today I'm pleased.

Nice time.

Last night I finally did my first under 30 minute 5K (28:00)! Somehow shaved a whole 2 minutes off my previous best. I know it's not much compared to some of you guys but I'm stoked!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm doing some decent running. I've done two half marathons this year in sub 8 min/mile average pace, and I keep up running between them pretty well.

It's about high time I bought myself a watch rather than use my phone which is just inconvenient. One thing I wanted to find out is whether heart rate monitoring was worthwhile or not? Is it just another nice stat to look at or does it actually help improve performance at an amateur level?

Any recommendations? Not looking to spend big bucks - maybe sub £200.

Fistwell

Last night I finally did my first under 30 minute 5K (28:00)! Somehow shaved a whole 2 minutes off my previous best. I know it's not much compared to some of you guys but I'm stoked!
Grats on the PR!

I'm doing some decent running. I've done two half marathons this year in sub 8 min/mile average pace, and I keep up running between them pretty well.

It's about high time I bought myself a watch rather than use my phone which is just inconvenient. One thing I wanted to find out is whether heart rate monitoring was worthwhile or not? Is it just another nice stat to look at or does it actually help improve performance at an amateur level?

Any recommendations? Not looking to spend big bucks - maybe sub £200.
I'm a big fan of heart rate monitors. I had been running without one for a while and just bought a watch with one directly in it. It is useful in several different ways. Most obviously, to gauge your effort in a race or in training. As a complement to other signals, like breathing and general feeling of exertion, it's useful (to me) as a hard number to look at to know when I should back off or when I can go for it.

It's also useful to monitor your resting heart rate. It'll typically be higher than normal after a hard run, a symptom of your body not being done recovering. I find it usefull in gauging whether I can go for a quality session or whether it should be rest or easy run.

The one I got is this one here. Not too far off your budget, but I'm sure you could find cheaper ones with integrated HRM. I've only had it for a cple of days but I'm loving it. My wife's had one for several weeks and she's pretty high on it too.

(no, not garmin PR ;D)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm a big fan of heart rate monitors. I had been running without one for a while and just bought a watch with one directly in it. It is useful in several different ways. Most obviously, to gauge your effort in a race or in training. As a complement to other signals, like breathing and general feeling of exertion, it's useful (to me) as a hard number to look at to know when I should back off or when I can go for it.

It's also useful to monitor your resting heart rate. It'll typically be higher than normal after a hard run, a symptom of your body not being done recovering. I find it usefull in gauging whether I can go for a quality session or whether it should be rest or easy run.

The one I got is this one here. Not too far off your budget, but I'm sure you could find cheaper ones with integrated HRM. I've only had it for a cple of days but I'm loving it. My wife's had one for several weeks and she's pretty high on it too.

(no, not garmin PR ;D)

That's great information, thanks. Especially about your resting rate and gauging what type of run to do - that's something I hadn't considered.

It looks nice, too. I hadn't considered the Forerunner - was looking more at the VivoActives. Is it waterproof?

That's great information, thanks. Especially about your resting rate and gauging what type of run to do - that's something I hadn't considered.

It looks nice, too. I hadn't considered the Forerunner - was looking more at the VivoActives. Is it waterproof?

Yup, up to 5 ATM.

DagsJT

I'm in a really good moment over these last few months, I'm going to parkrun and PB'ing each time so it's great.

Just managed 26:35 at parkrun so I'm getting closer to 25 mins but damn it's getting so much harder now.

I really need to sort my diet out. I eat far too much crap with snacks etc and I usually have a bottle of Coke each workday. I tell myself to just stick to water and nuts etc but I miss the tastes of the bad stuff.

I'm not big really, just under 14 stone and maybe 5'9", it's my belly weight I need to shift. My shape has changed a lot since I started running a year ago but now I need to fix my eating habits if I want to get to 25 min 5k's. I've also got my second half marathon in May so I'd love to beat my last time in that too.

Need to be stronger willed with food! Any tips on cutting down junk and not being disappointed at missing the "good" stuff?

Fistwell

Need to be stronger willed with food! Any tips on cutting down junk and not being disappointed at missing the "good" stuff?
I can only tell you what worked for me. I swapped unhealthy things for healthier foods incrementally. I figured what I could do without, tried to find good-for-me replacements, and went from there. The biggies were swapping out (huge amounts of white) bread for oatmeal pancakes, very recently cutting out sugar and milk in my coffee, and generally rediscovering vegetables. Calorie counting helps a tremendous amount to put things in perspective ("WTF, bread!"). It also helps to think of changes you make as positive, sustainable, long term changes to your diet and lifestyle, as opposed to short term, painful, horrible, violent diet of doom for 1 week and then bust (not saying you're doing the latter, just speaking in general).

I really believe that, for every shitty unhealthy thing you gorge on, there's a reasonably healthy replacement you can be happy with. It's a matter of trying things and finding it. Good luck! :)

Edit: a few more comments, as it's a topic close to my heart.

We're all both weak and strong minded. It's easy to obsess about stuff we're used to have. Conversely, we actually can easily learn to do without the stuff that feels essential right now. Much easier than it originally seemed. We're creatures of habits. It doesn't take long to get used to a given regimen, and then it becomes the most natural thing in the world, the new normal. But I believe it helps to go gradually, go with changes you can see yourself sticking with, let the dust settle then move on from there. Look at your diet now, find a cple of things you can (easily) fix for the long term, and go from there. Even if it's something small, 1 sugar in your coffee instead of 2, 1/2 a bottle of coke a day instead of one. I doesn't really matter how small so long as it's a net positive. Soon enough that'll be normal, and you'll be able to find other stuff to improve. But don't think ahead to that other stuff yet though. I've made huge changes over the years, but if you had told me originally where I'd be right now, I would have laughed you off, and gone back to eating my cold-cut sammiches and daily giant bowls of potato chips.

(sorry for the semi rant)

I really need to sort my diet out. I eat far too much crap with snacks etc and I usually have a bottle of Coke each workday. I tell myself to just stick to water and nuts etc but I miss the tastes of the bad stuff.

I'm not big really, just under 14 stone and maybe 5'9", it's my belly weight I need to shift. My shape has changed a lot since I started running a year ago but now I need to fix my eating habits if I want to get to 25 min 5k's. I've also got my second half marathon in May so I'd love to beat my last time in that too.

If you like the sweet taste of soda you might want to move onto some light/zero calorie variant (something like Bolero maybe) and then transition onto water.

I'm not into all the junk/sweet food thing but if I get the temptation to eat something I shouldn't I just think of the next race, that keeps me in line.

EDIT: Also what Fest said: Gradual change is change that lasts.

Fistwell

Another thing, your tastebuds adapt to what you eat. Industrial food has taught the population it needed a shit ton of sugar for example. My wife is a good example, she used to love sweets, candies, etc. A few years later, a gummy bear makes her borderline gag from the sweetness (she would eat bags of the stuff and crave candies all the goddamn time). We're trained to eat inordinate amounts of what the food industry figured it could hook us on (sugar, sodium). The general population's tastebuds are unnaturally deformed as a result. Weaning ourselves out of it is transformative. You discover tons of other flavors, and you become amazed at how shit what you used to love actually tastes. A lot of what we're being fed has been shown to be toxic to us, especially in the quantities the general population absorbs it. I strongly believe that years from now, industrial food companies will find themselves in the same spot cigarette makers are now. Mars, kellogg's and coca cola are the new marlboro and philip morris. /rant

You could also start treating that stuff as rewards for running some minimum distance. I used to drink way too much pop and was never one to just have one here and there. I made a rule that I can only have pop now after I've finished a marathon.

It's a bit extreme, but of course you could set your own distance for the reward. I've haven't had any pop since my last marathon in May 2015 and I'm actually contemplating running another marathon next year so I can have some of that good stuff again :)

Fistwell

My dad is running the NY marathon at the moment. Passed the 30K point 3 hours and 16 minutes. Always fun those live tracking tools.
How did he do in the end??

Lol, yeah, I had to resort to extreme measures because it was so easy for me to over indulge. I thinking cutting pop alone led to at least 10-15 pounds of weight loss.

I should do something to pare back the beers, but I'm not 100% crazy :)
You gotta set priorities. I challenge myself to get out of bed before I crack a beer open. Able to make it most days.

I have developed a new pain that I'm starting to worry about. For about 10 days, in my right leg, at the ITB insertion area. It only hurts when I cross my legs, like to put on or take off shoes for example. It is a very sharp pain that I haven't experienced before.

It doesn't hurt when I am running or walking or resting, only when I cross my legs. I'm not sure if I should take a week off running or what. Anyone recognize this pain?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are there any good ios apps that track steps taken? I'm currently relying on the activity app, but that only seems to keep a running total during the day - I'd like something that breaks it down a bit (eg I usually walk to/from the office and sometimes at lunch too). I tried the open walk workout which measures distance, time, 1km times but doesn't show steps taken.

Cheech

are there any good ios apps that track steps taken? I'm currently relying on the activity app, but that only seems to keep a running total during the day - I'd like something that breaks it down a bit (eg I usually walk to/from the office and sometimes at lunch too). I tried the open walk workout which measures distance, time, 1km times but doesn't show steps taken.

I like the new Garmins for this. Gave up using my phone for tracking running/steps back in March, and it was a really good decision on my end. I have the Forerunner 235.

I'd upload a screenshot, but it's been so long I can't remember what's allowed as far as image hosts here go. Just trust me when I say that the Garmin website will tell you every possible bit of detail you could possibly want to know about your steps, in addition to everything else fitness related!

Last Wednesday I woke up pretty distraught after the election results and was really freaking out internally. I had emotionally invested myself so deeply in the results and when they didn't come out how I expected it kind of devastated me. By the afternoon I realized I had to focus my energies into something else, something more personally productive than moping around. I ended up looking for local races and signed up for my first half marathon!

The race is in late February, I am in pretty good shape already, like I can run a 5k pretty comfortably at 25:00, but a half marathon is a significantly longer distance than I have run before. I think 5 miles is the longest race I've done. I have done runs closer to 10 miles when I was on my high school track team, but those weren't race settings and were basically in a different life time for me. My eventual goal will be to run a marathon (it's on my bucket list), but I figure I'll start with a shorter race to start off.

I am using Runkeeper for an 18 wk half marathon workout schedule that will end a few days before my race. I am going to try to keep off treadmill running as much as I can, but when it gets colder and darker early I might cheat a little bit on the bad days. I already get off work at 5:30 and have to run in the dark on some trails by my apartment to avoid roads. I picked up some protein powder and pre-workout (man where has this stuff been my whole life) to supplement my training. I am a little worried that once I get into longer training days, the amount of food I'm going to need is going to get ridiculous. My job already gives me 5-7 miles of walking every day, so my daily calories burned is going to be really high.

Overall, so far, so good on the running side. I have had one 3 mile run, and three 4 mile runs, and a cross training day/a small bit of lifting. The runs are all averaging under 9:00min/mile pace. My legs have been a little sore to start most runs, but once I warm up a bit I have been feeling great. I do think it is about time to invest in some new running shoes though, as I have had mine since March and they have been used pretty extensively in every day activities and running/gym workouts.

Anyways, I'll try to keep you guys updated on my progress!

Fistwell

Last Wednesday I woke up pretty distraught after the election results and was really freaking out internally. I had emotionally invested myself so deeply in the results and when they didn't come out how I expected it kind of devastated me. By the afternoon I realized I had to focus my energies into something else, something more personally productive than moping around. I ended up looking for local races and signed up for my first half marathon!

The race is in late February, I am in pretty good shape already, like I can run a 5k pretty comfortably at 25:00, but a half marathon is a significantly longer distance than I have run before. I think 5 miles is the longest race I've done. I have done runs closer to 10 miles when I was on my high school track team, but those weren't race settings and were basically in a different life time for me. My eventual goal will be to run a marathon (it's on my bucket list), but I figure I'll start with a shorter race to start off.

I am using Runkeeper for an 18 wk half marathon workout schedule that will end a few days before my race. I am going to try to keep off treadmill running as much as I can, but when it gets colder and darker early I might cheat a little bit on the bad days. I already get off work at 5:30 and have to run in the dark on some trails by my apartment to avoid roads. I picked up some protein powder and pre-workout (man where has this stuff been my whole life) to supplement my training. I am a little worried that once I get into longer training days, the amount of food I'm going to need is going to get ridiculous. My job already gives me 5-7 miles of walking every day, so my daily calories burned is going to be really high.

Overall, so far, so good on the running side. I have had one 3 mile run, and three 4 mile runs, and a cross training day/a small bit of lifting. The runs are all averaging under 9:00min/mile pace. My legs have been a little sore to start most runs, but once I warm up a bit I have been feeling great. I do think it is about time to invest in some new running shoes though, as I have had mine since March and they have been used pretty extensively in every day activities and running/gym workouts.

Anyways, I'll try to keep you guys updated on my progress!
You're not doing exteme distances, I wouldn't worry about food too much. Calories burned are different for everyone but let's say 70Kcal/Km for 21Km, that's under 1500Kcal on race day. That'd be easy to make up in a meal or two.

In any case, congrats on picking up running again! Best of luck in your training! Consider joining the GAF Strava group.

KeRaSh

It went OK.

Fuck me... I'm just sitting here eating everything out of frustration because my knee is still bothering me... But even without that I was happy to run 10k in under an hour! :p
Geat stuff man!

Fistwell

4:34 hours and a bit. He managed to finish it in a steady pace the whole way trough so he did fine.
Nice!

Fuck me... I'm just sitting here eating everything out of frustration because my knee is still bothering me... But even without that I was happy to run 10k in under an hour! :p
Geat stuff man!
Thanks! Sorry your knee's hurting. I've been there and it fucking sucks.

KeRaSh

Nice!

Thanks! Sorry your knee's hurting. I've been there and it fucking sucks.

Yeah. .. I'm reluctant to go see a doctor because it seems very minor but not minor enough to let me run more than 5K in one go... Currently pondering about doing some strength work for a while but I'm close to 1000K and I really wanted to break that milestone by the end of the year.

I'll probably go for a run today because I just can't stay away from it...

Yeah. .. I'm reluctant to go see a doctor because it seems very minor but not minor enough to let me run more than 5K in one go... Currently pondering about doing some strength work for a while but I'm close to 1000K and I really wanted to break that milestone by the end of the year.

I'll probably go for a run today because I just can't stay away from it...

Remember the golden rule of training: keep injury free so you can continue training. If you can get your knee checked out relatively easily I'd do it, just in case it's an injury that might escalate with more running.

In any case, congrats on picking up running again! Best of luck in your training! Consider joining the GAF Strava group.

Oh I'm so glad there's a group for Strava / some online tracking thing!
Looking into joining now ^_^

I've been off since the half-marathon on 16th Oct, inadvertantly took a month off, due to sickness, a 2-week holiday... Feel a bit guilty...

I was really disappointed with my half-marathon performance but I was a bit sick and also I realised I didn't carb-load enough the days before - after haha I was craving pizza ravenously (And I don't even like pizza!)

But I want to aim for some speed goals and am committed to the "doing 5K a day advent thing over December - and I want to restart the right way - but work is ramping up... So I'm going to have to be super disciplined.

I guess I am rambling, but any advice for a pretty novice slow runner? :/
I'd love a goal to be over the advent 5K thing to be faster - is that too much to ask?

Fistwell

Gemüsestäbchen;224512317 said:
Oh I'm so glad there's a group for Strava / some online tracking thing!
Looking into joining now ^_^

I've been off since the half-marathon on 16th Oct, inadvertantly took a month off, due to sickness, a 2-week holiday... Feel a bit guilty...

I was really disappointed with my half-marathon performance but I was a bit sick and also I realised I didn't carb-load enough the days before - after haha I was craving pizza ravenously (And I don't even like pizza!)

But I want to aim for some speed goals and am committed to the "doing 5K a day advent thing over December - and I want to restart the right way - but work is ramping up... So I'm going to have to be super disciplined.

I guess I am rambling, but any advice for a pretty novice slow runner? :/
I'd love a goal to be over the advent 5K thing to be faster - is that too much to ask?
I'd look into building a solid base. Sounds reasonable as a first goal before getting into a more specific/targeted training plan. It sounds easy but it requires discipline and consistency. Yields great benefits too.

I'd look into building a solid base. Sounds reasonable as a first goal before getting into a more specific/targeted training plan. It sounds easy but it requires discipline and consistency. Yields great benefits too.

Yeah, I was good about strength training - some great advice earlier in the year from Roadrunner - but I've gotten lazy...

I hope it's not one of those annoying questions I bet everyone asks - but any suggestions on what exercises or regime would be a good base?

Gemüsestäbchen;224513340 said:
Yeah, I was good about strength training - some great advice earlier in the year from Roadrunner - but I've gotten lazy...

I hope it's not one of those annoying questions I bet everyone asks - but any suggestions on what exercises or regime would be a good base?

Starting out the best regime is the one you can stick to consistently, in my opinion. If you want to do 5K a day listen to your body and adjust the run effort accordingly. As you get used to that weekly volume you can work on increasing mileage and/or pace. Further along you can also introduce some specific training such as intervals, hill sprints, etc.

"Run less, run faster" also has some strength exercises to supplement running, once I get back from work (and my Tuesday run :p) I'll give them a look and get back to you.

Starting out the best regime is the one you can stick to consistently, in my opinion. If you want to do 5K a day listen to your body and adjust the run effort accordingly. As you get used to that weekly volume you can work on increasing mileage and/or pace. Further along you can also introduce some specific training such as intervals, hill sprints, etc.

"Run less, run faster" also has some strength exercises to supplement running, once I get back from work (and my Tuesday run :p) I'll give them a look and get back to you.

Thanks - much appreciated!
I've got itchy legs, really looking forward to running again!

Fistwell

Gemüsestäbchen;224513340 said:

By base building I meant: building a solid aerobic base. Running at easy pace, progressively increasing mileage every week, building up towards the weekly mileage your future training plan starts at. :)

Cross training's cool too (or so I hear...).

By base building I meant: building a solid aerobic base. Running at easy pace, progressively increasing mileage every week, building up towards the weekly mileage your future training plan starts at. :)

Well I've been training since last May, so maybe I can't speak for my exact fitness now, but I've comfortably and gradually upped my milelage to be able to run up to 10 miles without much issue.
Also - After I hurt my legs with various injuries this summer, cycling was def a good alternative, so cross training isn't too shabby - but it isn't running in the end!

I reckon a short run like 5K - even each day - isn't going to be too taxing for me - so I want to get something "else" out of it then. (Thanks for the suggestion of making the weekend runs "gentle" as rest days)

But I can't shake the feeling it's been all rather loose and unfocused, so that's why I wanted to "restart" with a new strategy...

Fistwell

Gemüsestäbchen;224530491 said:
Well I've been training since last May, so maybe I can't speak for my exact fitness now, but I've comfortably and gradually upped my milelage to be able to run up to 10 miles without much issue.
What's your weekly mileage right now? I mean, I could walk out the door and run a 26.2 at a casual pace right now, yet I'd also greatly benefit from (re-)building a good base. The former has little bearing on the latter.

In any case, finding a goal would make it easy to find a new training plan. What are you looking to achieve?

You're not doing exteme distances, I wouldn't worry about food too much. Calories burned are different for everyone but let's say 70Kcal/Km for 21Km, that's under 1500Kcal on race day. That'd be easy to make up in a meal or two.

I joined the Strava group. I will keep logging my runs on Runkeeper to follow my training program on there, but I can import them into Strava to compare against Running-GAF as well.

Just a quick glance at the Strava group makes it seem like we have quite a few experienced runners in our midst.

Fistwell

I joined the Strava group. I will keep logging my runs on Runkeeper to follow my training program on there, but I can import them into Strava to compare against Running-GAF as well.

Just a quick glance at the Strava group makes it seem like we have quite a few experienced runners in our midst.
Welcome to the group! And yeah, some of those guys are crazy fast.

Gemüsestäbchen;224516835 said:
Thanks - much appreciated!
I've got itchy legs, really looking forward to running again!

Recommended strength training exercises (10 to 15 reps, varying routine periodically to stimulate adaptation):
- Squats (glutes and quadriceps)
- Single leg squat (glutes, quadriceps, hip external rotators, hip abductors)
- Lunges (Hamstrings, quadriceps, glutes)
- Box step-ups (Glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings)
- Monster/Sumo Wrestler walk (Hip external rotators, hip abductors)
- One-arm, one-leg bent over row (Triceps, shoulders, back)
- Curl to press (Biceps, shoulders)
- Bird dog/Advanced bird dog (core, hamstrings, shoulders)
- Single-leg bridges (glutes, core)
- Clamshell (Abductors)

The idea is that strengthening the muscles will prevent running form deterioration that comes from fatigue and thus improve running economy. Remember to exhale on exertion/lifting and inhale on the return/lowering movement.

Also - After I hurt my legs with various injuries this summer, cycling was def a good alternative, so cross training isn't too shabby - but it isn't running in the end!

YMMV, but since I started doing some cross training and strength training at the gym I've felt better during my runs. Not necessarily faster (though my pace has improved) but more comfortable in my running pace.

I reckon a short run like 5K - even each day - isn't going to be too taxing for me - so I want to get something "else" out of it then. (Thanks for the suggestion of making the weekend runs "gentle" as rest days)

But I can't shake the feeling it's been all rather loose and unfocused, so that's why I wanted to "restart" with a new strategy...

You can always do a test week of five normal 5K during the week plus two gentle 5K during the weekend and see how you feel the next week, and start tweaking from there.

Welcome! :D

panda-zebra

A few months ago I could never have imagined I'd have a lull like I have recently, but after doing my first marathon, and being injured and having to rest, I've found that urge to go out and run that's constantly nagging at me has vanished almost completely. I think the build up to doing a marathon had me somewhat obsessed, even if I didn't attack it or intend to, just get it done and tick a box for the first one. I've got a hard trail half marathon on Sunday and I've only run maybe twice in 5 weeks, been working stupid hard so the ankle hasn't really seen the benefit of any real rest, and my back is utterly effed to the point where I've found it difficult to walk from my van to the house after work. So I've not really been paying much attention to Strava as it's a bit depressing seeing everyone out having fun doing amazing things haha

But just now I got this message saying there was a new group message and it made me chuckle :D Right now, if I wasn't full of potatoes and falafels and if I could even manage to walk a few steps without screaming out like a started schoolgirl, I'd throw my shoes on and go run the streets in the dark!

I needed that little message, thanks :) I'm going to make every effort to get back at it and do a few parkruns over Winter at the very least. Might even get up early and put the head torch on.

I used to be heavy as hell (275+lbs). Just take it slow, both pace-wise and in terms of building up mileage. Also maybe foam roll those calves if sore? In any case, welcome here!

You were nearly 20 stones? WTF?! Wow, what a turn around. Very, very impressive, I had assumed you'd been something of an athlete all your life.

FAKE EDIT: I meant to press send on this ages ago and seem to have failed.

I'm in a really good moment over these last few months, I'm going to parkrun and PB'ing each time so it's great.

Just managed 26:35 at parkrun so I'm getting closer to 25 mins but damn it's getting so much harder now.

Which parkrun do you do? Are you on Strava and on the GAF group? Which half? (sorry to fire off so many questions!).

As for diet and the good stuff, I have a fairly restricted diet these days (nut allergies, Vegan) and I've had periods where I'm super strict with what I eat where it becomes really easy to not be having naughty stuff and the thought of doing so seems pretty repulsive, but it only takes one meal out where you get talked into eating a cake or a gift of a dairy-free chocolate bar and it easily all goes to shit! I've decided that it's best to just allow myself a bit of the good stuff now and again as it's much easier to avoid blowouts where the bananas don't even get a look-in any longer :D

I really believe that, for every shitty unhealthy thing you gorge on, there's a reasonably healthy replacement you can be happy with. It's a matter of trying things and finding it. Good luck! :)

Truth in this post.

Fistwell

YMMV, but since I started doing some cross training and strength training at the gym I've felt better during my runs. Not necessarily faster (though my pace has improved) but more comfortable in my running pace.
I don't know, I mean, all the cool kids do it so I guess it's worth something. I used to do a bunch of stuff (dumbells, planks all the time, rower, etc), didn't feel any difference. Got sick of it (too many goddamn planks), now all I do is pullups. I think I have kept a good enough core to not completely decompose at the end of a race.

That's what I tell myself anyways. Ain't nobody got time for all them planks.

Edit: hey look what the cat dragged in! :)
A few months ago I could never have imagined I'd have a lull like I have recently, but after doing my first marathon, and being injured and having to rest, I've found that urge to go out and run that's constantly nagging at me has vanished almost completely. I think the build up to doing a marathon had me somewhat obsessed, even if I didn't attack it or intend to, just get it done and tick a box for the first one. I've got a hard trail half marathon on Sunday and I've only run maybe twice in 5 weeks, been working stupid hard so the ankle hasn't really seen the benefit of any real rest, and my back is utterly effed to the point where I've found it difficult to walk from my van to the house after work.
Says he, right before banging out a 1h25 semi, I mean, what a drama queen! ;)

You were nearly 20 stones? WTF?!
Yeah, it wasnt a pretty sight. I was moderately athletic in high school before spraining my ankle too many times and having to drop basketball. Things snowballed over the year to the point of me being obese, chain smoking, eating tons of salt, and sky-high blood pressure. Picked up running to try to turn things around. /dear journal

Top Bottom